[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
steadyeddy

Re: Hulu, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by steadyeddy » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:11 pm

Watching The Path right now. Great show!

pennstater2005

Re: Hulu, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by pennstater2005 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:39 pm

BashDash wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:59 pm
Any comments on The Looming Towers. Thinking of starting it since I finished The Wrong Mans.
I haven’t gotten started yet on The Looming Towers. But it looks good. The Path also looks good. I actually just paused my Hulu subscription for one month and went back to Netflix for a month to catch up on Halt and Catch Fire. I’ll probably resume Hulu here very shortly as that was the only show on Netflix that had new episodes of shows I watch.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:55 pm

Peaky Blinders. Very well produced, it kept me interested. I just finished Episode 1, Season 1 and will keep going.

As for Altered Carbon, I'm disappointed. After watching the first few episodes, posts here encouraged me to keep going. By the 9th episode, I was bored. The final episode was nothing but <fight>, <pause>, <insert overused dramatic statement here>, <resume fight>, <repeat ad nauseum>. The dialog was trite and predictable.

If they didn't stop fighting to say something (instead of completing the punch / kick / slash in progress) the outcome would have been very different. I gave the series a down-vote.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:18 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:55 pm
As for Altered Carbon, I'm disappointed. After watching the first few episodes, posts here encouraged me to keep going. By the 9th episode, I was bored. The final episode was nothing but <fight>, <pause>, <insert overused dramatic statement here>, <resume fight>, <repeat ad nauseum>. The dialog was trite and predictable.

If they didn't stop fighting to say something (instead of completing the punch / kick / slash in progress) the outcome would have been very different. I gave the series a down-vote.
Wife and I just got through this. She is very into sci-fi. I thought it was dreadful, and despite her being really into the genre, she was not much more impressed. She just wanted to soldier through the entire thing, hoping it would get better - as you said, it gets progressively worse towards the end.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:26 pm

We are watching El Chapo.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

snowox

Post by snowox » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:30 pm

Netflix Original 7 Seconds. Have one episode left for the first season and its good.

straws46

Post by straws46 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:35 pm

Friends recommended Line of Duty to us and I am happy to report they are still friends.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:34 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:18 pm
LadyGeek wrote:

Wife and I just got through this. She is very into sci-fi. I thought it was dreadful, and despite her being really into the genre, she was not much more impressed. She just wanted to soldier through the entire thing, hoping it would get better - as you said, it gets progressively worse towards the end.
+1 to both of you. You both made it farther than I did in that series.

I think I'm just going to stop watching series if I'm not impressed after the first couple of shows. One shouldn't have to "power through" the majority of or a whole season.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:23 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Peaky Blinders. Very well produced, it kept me interested. I just finished Episode 1, Season 1 and will keep going.

It wasn’t the best show in the world, but once they jumped into the backstory a couple of episodes in I found it at least held my attention.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:53 pm

I binged Subarra- Blood on Rome earlier this week and really enjoyed it...Dialog is a bit choppy, but if you have spent any time in Rome, and liked it, it is worth it for the settings alone.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:13 pm

stoptothink wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:

I watched the whole thing and admit that I slogged through the last few episodes. I’m still not even completely sure what happened. And while the nudity was certainly enjoyable, it added nothing to the actual story and in hindsight makes no sense.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:31 pm

Yiewsley wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:07 pm
On Acorn TV (via Amazon Prime but you can get it standalone: The Detectorists
+1.
Unfortunately Season 3 is the last. It had some laugh-out-loud moments for me.

ssquared87

Post by ssquared87 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:36 pm

Once finished my Ozark (which I can’t remember if it’s amazon or Netflix) binge I’ve moved onto The Crown which is excellent so far

youngpleb

Post by youngpleb » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:37 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:
Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:27 pm
Un-paused my membership to watch Halt and Catch Fire season 4.
A kindred spirit! I caught the first season when it aired but then got busy with life and missed the next three so I've been going through it again. Currently halfway through season 3! A seriously underrated show IMO. I'm a software dev though so I guess I am biased :mrgreen:
27. Always learning.

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:33 pm

David Chang's Ugly Delicious (with guest appearances by David Choe) , 8 one-hour episodes
https://www.netflix.com/title/80170368
All the flavor. None of the BS. Star chef David Chang leads friends on a mouthwatering, cross-cultural hunt for the world's most satisfying grub.
Starring: David Chang, Peter Meehan
also, The Trader (Sovdagari), 23-minute documentary, especially good cinematography
https://www.netflix.com/title/80209006
A traveling trader provides a window into rural life in the Republic of Georgia, where potatoes are currency and ambition is crushed by poverty.

Allixi

Post by Allixi » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:37 pm

Yiewsley wrote:
Detectorists seasons 1 and 2 are on Netflix also

I really enjoyed the first season - perfectly executed British village comedy. However, that theme song is wearisome for binge viewing...

tmsul100

Post by tmsul100 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:38 pm

Someone already mentioned Broadchurch, I think? Unforgettable TV. Also, maybe even better, Foyle's War - just generally, my favorite TV show of all time (Broadchurch #2).

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:42 pm

Allixi wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:37 pm
Yiewsley wrote:
Detectorists seasons 1 and 2 are on Netflix also

I really enjoyed the first season - perfectly executed British village comedy. However, that theme song is wearisome for binge viewing...
I LOVE that theme song. I've been thinking of making it my ring tone! But, I used the Father Ted theme instead.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:45 pm

Jeff Albertson wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:33 pm
also, The Trader (Sovdagari), 23-minute documentary, especially good cinematography
https://www.netflix.com/title/80209006
A traveling trader provides a window into rural life in the Republic of Georgia, where potatoes are currency and ambition is crushed by poverty.
Really, really weird stuff. Depressing but kind of cool. Definitely makes you realize how lucky we have it to be thinking about investing and retirement compared to people who are bartering potatoes for a living.

I just completed Season 4 of Black Mirror. Another excellent season! Possibly even darker than the first three. Hard to choose a favorite episode as they were completely different but all good.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:56 pm

youngpleb wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:37 pm
pennstater2005 wrote:
A kindred spirit! I caught the first season when it aired but then got busy with life and missed the next three so I've been going through it again. Currently halfway through season 3! A seriously underrated show IMO. I'm a software dev though so I guess I am biased :mrgreen:
Season 4 is excellent. I'm glad it's only 4 seasons. They knew when to finish it up.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:02 pm

tmsul100 wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:38 pm
Someone already mentioned Broadchurch, I think? Unforgettable TV. Also, maybe even better, Foyle's War - just generally, my favorite TV show of all time (Broadchurch #2).
Foyle's War is outstanding. I agree it is one of the best shows. It went on for a long time too (a good thing!). Honeysuckle Weeks, in a 2015 interview, mentioned that her 13 year (2002 - 2015) involvement with Foyle's War was fully a third of her life! She has a sister, Perdita Weeks, also an actress. I saw her in an episode of Inspector Lewis and saw the family resemblance so looked her up on IMDB and, indeed, they are sisters.

I watched the first season of Broadchurch and that was great. When I saw the first episode of the second season I gave up on it. I could see it was going to be all about dealing with a nasty prosecutor and "the system" that frustrated the police once they had got their man and even a confession. Perhaps I didn't give it enough time but there were more promising things to watch. I was hoping for a new story line. Olivia Colman is great in it. I have since seen her in another show (The Night Manager) where she was also great.
Last edited by bertilak on Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

fatlever

Post by fatlever » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:04 pm

Altered Carbon
Stranger Things
Love
Jessica Jones
Freaks and Geeks

MJW

Post by MJW » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:40 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:36 pm
On Amazon.Prime
DW and I are hooked on "The Americans".
From Google:
The Americans is an American period drama television series created by Joe Weisberg for the FX television network. Set in the early 1980s during the Cold War, it is the story of Elizabeth (Keri Russell) and Philip Jennings (Matthew Rhys), two Soviet KGB officers posing as an American married couple living in the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, D.C., with their children Paige (Holly Taylor) and Henry (Keidrich Sellati). Their neighbor Stan Beeman (Noah Emmerich) is an FBI agent working in counterintelligence.

A bit less "Hollywood" and a bit more closer to what may be reality. Not as sensationalized.
Runs for 6 seasons.
j :D
How far are you into it? I just wrapped up Season 5 a few weeks ago. I think the most interesting character evolution of the series is that of Elizabeth.

MJW

Post by MJW » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:43 am

bertilak wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:02 pm
Olivia Colman is great in it. I have since seen her in another show (The Night Manager) where she was also great.
It's going to be odd seeing her replace Claire Foy as Queen Elizabeth II for Season 3 of The Crown.

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:51 am

alexander29 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:05 pm
Babylon Berlin is a German subtitled 16-part series set in 1929 Berlin, a few months before the Wall Street crash and four years before Hitler comes to power. Gritty, but great production values, excellent acting, and superb mysteries with some of the best plotting and writing since Breaking Bad. If you stick with it, the last two episodes will blow you away. The time period is fascinating.
Were hooked on this too.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:52 am

MJW wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:40 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:36 pm
On Amazon.Prime
DW and I are hooked on "The Americans".
From Google:
The Americans is an American period drama television series created by Joe Weisberg for the FX television network. Set in the early 1980s during the Cold War, it is the story of Elizabeth (Keri Russell) and Philip Jennings (Matthew Rhys), two Soviet KGB officers posing as an American married couple living in the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, D.C., with their children Paige (Holly Taylor) and Henry (Keidrich Sellati). Their neighbor Stan Beeman (Noah Emmerich) is an FBI agent working in counterintelligence.

A bit less "Hollywood" and a bit more closer to what may be reality. Not as sensationalized.
Runs for 6 seasons.
j :D
How far are you into it? I just wrapped up Season 5 a few weeks ago. I think the most interesting character evolution of the series is that of Elizabeth.
Yes. We are into season 4, after the trip to Epcot and vacation. . . . (spoiler)
Each character has evolved and Elizabeth has extreme depth.
We've gone through many series over the decades and look for the good ones.
This one is not so formulaic like "Criminal Minds". It's like watching a very long evolving full length movie. (sort of like "The Dome" and some others).
There are many of these long running series that start falling apart, as if the best early writers got replaced. Not this one, so far.
We are hooked! :D
aloha
jim

gips

Post by gips » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:07 am

here are some shows I liked:

frankenstein chronicles season 1
altered carbon - I loved the vision of the future, good acting but as usual, the mix of film noir and sci fi doesn't quite work
le mante
travellers - good, not great sci fi
stranger - loved this, well plotted and acted, yes the subtitles were fast but not unwatchable
godless - one of the best series I've watched
wallander - kenneth brannagh is great, some good characters come and go with little to no explanation
occupied - good nordic noir
nobel - good nordic noir
fauda - must watch
3% - hunger games-like plot

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:15 pm

Just binged Jessica Jones season 2. Not as strong as season one, but I still think Jessica is the best of the Marvel Netflix shows.

willie838

Post by willie838 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:00 pm

ozark....

great show, been a big jason bateman fan since arrested development but this is him in more of a dramatic role.

very well crafted season for sure.

Utahdogowner

Post by Utahdogowner » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:55 pm

LukeHeinz57 wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:24 pm
Peaky Blinders...It's amazing! Period drama in post WWI England with an incredible cast of small-town gangsters looking to make it big.
+1. Man the British acting is amazing.
And I'm glad I'm not a gangster.

Utahdogowner

Post by Utahdogowner » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:56 pm

JBTX wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:47 pm
Dived into Godless. I have to agree with others it is very good. It isn’t quite what I expected from previews.
I've had my ex-religious friends recommend this as well. I'll have to give it a watch.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:00 pm

watched first 2 episodes of Black Mirror. The first wasn't good as others warned, but the second wasn't much better imo. (The episode where everyone peddles bikes to earn points to get on some stupid game show.) Do the following episodes get any better, or is episode 2 indicative of how the show is?

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:20 pm

Utahdogowner wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:56 pm
JBTX wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:47 pm
Dived into Godless. I have to agree with others it is very good. It isn’t quite what I expected from previews.
I've had my ex-religious friends recommend this as well. I'll have to give it a watch.
It is called godless because the main villain referred to that part of the country as godless in a passing reference. It isn’t about religion per se.

spectec

Post by spectec » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:51 pm

On Netflix:
1) Mudbound
2) Atonement (a little cumbersome at times, but stick with it to the end)
3) First They Killed My Father
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:42 pm

pennstater2005 wrote:
Thanks for sharing- just started watching and it's very good so far.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:22 pm

Love
The Crown
Narcos
House of Cards
Stranger Things

Top 5 for me
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

House Blend

Post by House Blend » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:31 pm

theplayer11 wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:00 pm
watched first 2 episodes of Black Mirror. The first wasn't good as others warned, but the second wasn't much better imo. (The episode where everyone peddles bikes to earn points to get on some stupid game show.) Do the following episodes get any better, or is episode 2 indicative of how the show is?
I've watched the first two seasons (7 episodes).

I agree with everyone that episode #1 is lame.

The best of the first 7 IMO are #3 ("Entire History of You") and #7 ("White Christmas"), so try those first to see if it is worth continuing. If you were a fan of Mad Men, you'll enjoy #7 -- it has Jon Hamm in a role Don Draper could relate to.

BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:47 pm

Money Heist, a Spanish sub-titled crime drama is good, although Netflix has split it into 2 "seasons", leaving us hanging.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 12-time loser

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:33 pm

I'm two episodes into the three-episode Quirke, a noir crime series about Dr. Quirke, a pathologist in 1950s Dublin. Each episode is a movie-length hour and a half.

The plots are somewhat independent in that they are mostly resolved in each episode but they do follow an overall story arc as far as character development goes.

Many murder mysteries toss in so many red herrings it gets difficult to separate the individual threads (Agatha Christie influence!) -- not Quirke. The plots are complex but flow naturally -- meaning you can follow them without Poirot explaining it all to you at the end!

Don't get me wrong, I love Dame Agatha's stories and the many (!) books, movies and TV shows that follow her lead, but it is nice to see something different. Quarke isn't the only example -- there are many others, often in the noir mold, but Quarke is a well done example.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:41 pm

Capsu78 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:42 pm
pennstater2005 wrote:
Thanks for sharing- just started watching and it's very good so far.
You're welcome :beer Just watched the series finale last night. It's a great show!

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:10 pm

cutterinnj wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:23 pm
Netflix things I'm watching now:

Orange is the New Black Season 5- it's a bit out there at this point, but entertaining
Master of None Season 2: Aziz Ansari; acting is maybe a bit off by the supporting characters, but a good show
Schitt's Creek: Finished what was on Netflix recently; waiting for more!
Better Call Saul: About to start Season 2
Archer: One of the funniest, raunchiest shows ever made, animated or live: Middle of Season 4
Always Sunny in Philadelphia: Season 9 or 10? Also pretty funny.
Kimmy Schmidt: We were big 30 rock fans, and love this show, too. Haven't started Season 3 just yet.
My Scientology Movie: Louis Theroux's take on Xenu. Entertaining, a bit scary like all the scientology things
Black Mirror: A modern twilight zone; 1 more episode in Season 3; I can't watch more than one episode at a time- too emotionally draining. The episode, "San Junipero" was one of the most emotionally, well done things I've ever seen on TV. If you don't have a few tears in your eyes by the end, you're not human.
well, count put me down as a non human. I love sci-fi and really wanted to like this show. I watched the first 3 episodes of season 1..didn't enjoy any. I jumped to the San Junipero episode and just don't get how this can be "emotional". My wife is a real softy and she agreed that it just wasn't good. A Disney movie feel IMO. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

mrsbetsy

Post by mrsbetsy » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:55 pm

Watched Season 2 of Sneaky Pete on Amazon Prime this weekend. Plenty of twists and turns.

Completely enjoyed it and look forward to the next one.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:06 pm

DW & I are in the third season of Rake now and are thoroughly enjoying it.

MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:58 pm

We've started in on Four Seasons in Havana.
Set in Cuba in the late 1990s it is visually beautiful.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

MJW

Post by MJW » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:36 am

mrsbetsy wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:55 pm
Watched Season 2 of Sneaky Pete on Amazon Prime this weekend. Plenty of twists and turns.

Completely enjoyed it and look forward to the next one.
I didn't realize Season 2 was out until I saw your post. Thank you. :happy

FireProof

Post by FireProof » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:07 am

MichaelRpdx wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:58 pm
We've started in on Four Seasons in Havana.
Set in Cuba in the late 1990s it is visually beautiful.
Going to Cuba for 3 weeks next week, so tried to watch that, but it seemed like it was stuck in the 50s like the rest of the country. A collection of cliches that were done to death in US shows decades ago.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:15 am

Not out yet, but really looking forward to Lost in Space, the reboot of the 60s sci-fi show. I think it's out April 13.

scb175

Post by scb175 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:15 am

Wife and I struggling to find a new Netflix show to watch. We have completed Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Ozark, Bloodline, Stranger Things, and we recently just finished Dexter. Have loved all of them -- didn't want Dexter to end! Any recommendations?

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:32 am

Loik098 wrote:
Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:34 pm
stoptothink wrote:
LadyGeek wrote:

+1 to both of you. You both made it farther than I did in that series.

I think I'm just going to stop watching series if I'm not impressed after the first couple of shows. One shouldn't have to "power through" the majority of or a whole season.
+1 again. I enjoyed this through the first 5 or 6 episodes, but it fell apart at the end. I could barely stay awake for the last couple episodes.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:52 am

scb175 wrote:
Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:15 am
Wife and I struggling to find a new Netflix show to watch. We have completed Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Ozark, Bloodline, Stranger Things, and we recently just finished Dexter. Have loved all of them -- didn't want Dexter to end! Any recommendations?
Narcos
Peaky Blinders (use subtitles)