Need help on car decision: Honda CRV vs luxury car used

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
friar1610

Re: Need help on car decision: Honda CRV vs luxury car used

Post by friar1610 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:01 pm

The OP's dilemma is akin to mine. A 2015/2016 Volvo XC70 wagon or a new Outback or CR-V? Currently have an '05 XC70 and it's just about right for our needs (kayaks, winter weather, dog). 2016 was the last production year for XC70s so used is the only way to get another one. The de-facto replacement, V90XC is way out of our price range. Used XC60 SUV is OK but certainly no better than a CR-V with worse mileage, lower reliability, higher overall maintenance costs. Had not considered a CR-V until recently when our daughter, an earlier generation CR-V owner, nudged us into doing so and we were pleasantly surprised. Although I love Volvo X70s I'm having a hard time getting beyond the fact that it's 2-3 model years old (with correspondingly less warranty remaining, older technology, worse mileage, clunkier engine choices) vs the new car smell, advanced safety features and a new warranty. Purchase price would be roughly the same compared to a high-end Outback/CR-V.
Friar1610

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:51 pm

markcoop wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:13 pm
Thanks for all the replies. Alot of interesting info to digest.

Another option I was looking at, if I go the CRV route, is to buy a new 2017 to save a few bucks. I see the two dealerships close to me have some in stock. From what I understand, the 2017 and 2018 are very similar cars. Anyone have thoughts about buying last years model at this point?
That is what I did, the 2017 and 2018 are the same NO changes at all. I went with a 17 and saved $3K. If you can go with the EX more safety features, I went with a 2 wheel drive Touring model.

Visit www.crvownersclub.com for many hours of reading and prices paid.

CULater

Post by CULater » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:09 pm

TLC1957 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:51 pm
markcoop wrote:

Another option I was looking at, if I go the CRV route, is to buy a new 2017 to save a few bucks. I see the two dealerships close to me have some in stock. From what I understand, the 2017 and 2018 are very similar cars. Anyone have thoughts about buying last years model at this point?
That is what I did, the 2017 and 2018 are the same NO changes at all. I went with a 17 and saved $3K. If you can go with the EX more safety features, I went with a 2 wheel drive Touring model.

Checked that website link you provided and didn't take long to find this:
I have a 2017 CRV and I smelled the rotten egg smell a couple times. On Friday the check engine light came on at a stop light then the motor went into safe mode so I pulled into a parking lot and had it towed tot he dealer. The dealer said there was almost 2L of gas in my oil! He said that in the extreme cold, -27C air temp -40C with windchill at the time, the small 1.5L engine doesn't get warm and the computer stays in the "base" program and keeps dumping fuel in to try and warm up the engine.
I called my local Honda today and I got an answer. Due to the gasoline getting into my oil. The engine cylinders have been damaged and shavings we're found in the oil. They are replacing everything under the hood that is connected. I'm not a mechanic so I ask what parts that meant (they said engine, turbo, all gaskets, and everything up to the exhaust).
http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14- ... oblem.html

This is a pretty long thread on the topic.
Hate to keep knocking the vehicle I own, but until this is fixed I wouldn't touch one especially if I lived in a cold winter climate.
May you have the hindsight to know where you've been, The foresight to know where you're going, And the insight to know when you've gone too far. ~ Irish Blessing

Newbogel

Post by Newbogel » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:56 am

Nobody has mentioned Toyota. What about a RAV 4?
I am actually about to buy a car and I am looking at either a RAV4 or a Camry. I really like the 2018 Camry and prices seem to be discounted nicely although I swore I would never buy a new car again.

markcoop

Post by markcoop » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:44 pm

CULater wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:09 pm
TLC1957 wrote:
markcoop wrote:

I have a 2017 CRV and I smelled the rotten egg smell a couple times. On Friday the check engine light came on at a stop light then the motor went into safe mode so I pulled into a parking lot and had it towed tot he dealer. The dealer said there was almost 2L of gas in my oil! He said that in the extreme cold, -27C air temp -40C with windchill at the time, the small 1.5L engine doesn't get warm and the computer stays in the "base" program and keeps dumping fuel in to try and warm up the engine.
I called my local Honda today and I got an answer. Due to the gasoline getting into my oil. The engine cylinders have been damaged and shavings we're found in the oil. They are replacing everything under the hood that is connected. I'm not a mechanic so I ask what parts that meant (they said engine, turbo, all gaskets, and everything up to the exhaust).

Hate to keep knocking the vehicle I own, but until this is fixed I wouldn't touch one especially if I lived in a cold winter climate.
Anyone know if this problem affects just the 2017 version? Doesn't sound like it, but somehow feel 2018 would be safer.
Mark

FPS_dapdap

Post by FPS_dapdap » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:59 pm

markcoop wrote:

Someone just posted that the new 2017 CRVs have an engine problem. Might want to look into that.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:02 pm

Newbogel wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:56 am
Nobody has mentioned Toyota. What about a RAV 4?
I am actually about to buy a car and I am looking at either a RAV4 or a Camry. I really like the 2018 Camry and prices seem to be discounted nicely although I swore I would never buy a new car again.
Till they get on the CarPlay / Android Auto bandwagon, Toyota is not a contender IMO.

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:17 pm

markcoop wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:44 pm
CULater wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:09 pm
TLC1957 wrote:
markcoop wrote:

Anyone know if this problem affects just the 2017 version? Doesn't sound like it, but somehow feel 2018 would be safer.
Since the engines are the same it may apply to both years. FYI this is a software problem which I am sure Honda will take care of.

I have not had any problems with my CRV, the down side of the web site I referenced is as with many sites folks post the bad stuff and the folks that have no problems do not post. ALL vehicles have problems however Honda reliability is always high based on Consumer Reports. This is my 10th Honda product with no problems except for a 2000 Odyssey van when the transmission went out with 150K miles.

markcoop

Post by markcoop » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:06 am

At this point not sure what to do. I was leaning toward buying the CRV. I certainly could wait a month or two but would prefer to have another car by that point. Is there any reason to believe this issue will be resolved soon? I am aware of the other thread on this issue and did look at some other links.

The reason I would think this may only affect 2017 CRVs is if Honda is aware of the situation (it sounds like they are), are reluctant to recall 2017 cars (others seem to say they are...I have no idea) and have a fix.
Mark

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:09 am

markcoop wrote:
Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:06 am
At this point not sure what to do. I was leaning toward buying the CRV. I certainly could wait a month or two but would prefer to have another car by that point. Is there any reason to believe this issue will be resolved soon? I am aware of the other thread on this issue and did look at some other links.

The reason I would think this may only affect 2017 CRVs is if Honda is aware of the situation (it sounds like they are), are reluctant to recall 2017 cars (others seem to say they are...I have no idea) and have a fix.
I would assume the same engine in the 18 has the same issue. If they fixed it in the 18 (injectors, software update) then they could apply the same fix to the 17.

If you live in a warm area, you might not have any issues. I would not buy the CRV with that engine based on this information. Too many other good cars out there.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend very little time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:48 pm

FYI,
Step Up To An Acura RDX: $318/Month, $0 Down Lease
MARCH 10, 2018

We wouldn't be surprised if the upmarket RDX is cheaper to lease than its mainstream corporate cousin, Honda CR-V.
https://leasehackr.com/blog/2018/3/10/s ... down-lease

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:58 pm

friar1610 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:01 pm
The OP's dilemma is akin to mine. A 2015/2016 Volvo XC70 wagon or a new Outback or CR-V? Currently have an '05 XC70 and it's just about right for our needs (kayaks, winter weather, dog). 2016 was the last production year for XC70s so used is the only way to get another one. The de-facto replacement, V90XC is way out of our price range. Used XC60 SUV is OK but certainly no better than a CR-V with worse mileage, lower reliability, higher overall maintenance costs. Had not considered a CR-V until recently when our daughter, an earlier generation CR-V owner, nudged us into doing so and we were pleasantly surprised. Although I love Volvo X70s I'm having a hard time getting beyond the fact that it's 2-3 model years old (with correspondingly less warranty remaining, older technology, worse mileage, clunkier engine choices) vs the new car smell, advanced safety features and a new warranty. Purchase price would be roughly the same compared to a high-end Outback/CR-V.
Same boat here. We are picking another used Volvo. Don't really care about the slightly higher maintenance costs. A new Outback equipped similarly is into the high $30's - nearly double what we are paying - and that's only just now catching up with the safety features Volvo has had for 5+ years. The Volvo is much nicer inside, has a tremendous amount more power (the 4 cylinder in the Outback is really anemic). Mileage is a concern, but this may be the last new-ish car I buy that isn't partially or all electric. I'll survive.

Do you have a decent independent Volvo mechanic convenient to you?

markcoop

Post by markcoop » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:49 pm

Moved post to separate thread.
Mark