Mac Newbie Needs help with MacBook Safari Browser Bookmarks. How to move or sync? Thanks @@

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sandtrap

Mac Newbie Needs help with MacBook Safari Browser Bookmarks. How to move or sync? Thanks @@

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:18 pm

Mac newbie, sort of, here.

My bookmarks on my MacBook (safari browser) were a mess.
So I spent forever organizing them in folders.
I have 2 other Macs, plus iPhone, iPad.
How can I sync or transfer this newly organized Bookmark setup to the others, not just the bookmarks but the way they are organized in folders, etc?
Does this automatically happen with the iCloud browser sync?

Thanks everyone for your kind help.
mahalo,
jim :D

CJC000

Re: Mac Newbie Needs help with MacBook Safari Browser Bookmarks. How to move or sync? Thanks @@

Post by CJC000 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:07 pm

Make sure your device you want to sync is yours, not your wife or kids. I made the mistake of having the same Apple password on my iMac and my wife laptop - huge mess. She would make a change, showed up on my Mac and vice versa.

Try this link:

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/06/20 ... ac-iphone/

Cosmo

Re: Mac Newbie Needs help with MacBook Safari Browser Bookmarks. How to move or sync? Thanks @@

Post by Cosmo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:41 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:18 pm

How can I sync or transfer this newly organized Bookmark setup to the others, not just the bookmarks but the way they are organized in folders, etc?

mahalo,
I can't think of a better example here where Google will give you much better results vs. posting here. Trust me, that is usually NOT the case. The Apple discussion boards have a wealth of information for you. I recommended setting up a profile there so you can ask questions. However, you will easily be able to find your answer there as all of these questions have been asked many times. Good luck.

Cosmo

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:16 pm

Cosmo wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:41 pm
Sandtrap wrote:

mahalo,
I can't think of a better example here where Google will give you much better results vs. posting here. Trust me, that is usually NOT the case. The Apple discussion boards have a wealth of information for you. I recommended setting up a profile there so you can ask questions. However, you will easily be able to find your answer there as all of these questions have been asked many times. Good luck.

Cosmo
Thanks so much for your response. I did go to "Google" as well as search the Apple discussion boards. The question was whether once bookmarks are organized on the Safari Browser on my laptop, will it synchronize as formatted and organized across the other devices or will it just be a merge of the specific bookmarks without the organization in folders?
After doing much research, I couldn't find a targeted answer.
j

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:23 pm

Sandtrap, I use Chrome on Mac and no iPhones or iPads but it is my understanding that Safari bookmarks may inherently display differently on those various devices but should appear in the same order if you use iCloud to sync bookmarks across devices.

Perhaps it is better to think of them as iCloud bookmarks rather than as Safari bookmarks.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203519

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:26 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:16 pm
Cosmo wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:

mahalo,

Cosmo
Thanks so much for your response. I did go to "Google" as well as search the Apple discussion boards. The question was whether once bookmarks are organized on the Safari Browser on my laptop, will it synchronize as formatted and organized across the other devices or will it just be a merge of the specific bookmarks without the organization in folders?
j
Yes. My bookmark folders on my MacBook Air show up on both of our iPhones exactly how they were organized. If I bookmark something on my MacBook, it will immediately show up on our iPhones as well. One thing I noticed is that sites bookmarked later on our iPhones don't seem to flow through to the MacBook and I am not sure why. I'm gonna be honest though. I don't bookmark too much anymore. I can probably find something faster searching for it than going through the folder structure in my bookmarks but that's another story.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:27 pm

Cosmo wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:26 pm
Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:16 pm
Cosmo wrote:
Sandtrap wrote:

mahalo,

Cosmo
j
Yes. My bookmark folders on my MacBook Air show up on both of our iPhones exactly how they were organized. If I bookmark something on my MacBook, it will immediately show up on our iPhones as well. One thing I noticed is that sites bookmarked later on our iPhones don't seem to flow through to the MacBook and I am not sure why. I'm gonna be honest though. I don't bookmark too much anymore. I can probably find something faster searching for it than going through the folder structure in my bookmarks but that's another story.
Terrific.
So my brand new organized Safari bookmarks should show up equally organized on my other MacBook when I turn it on?
Thanks,
macnewb