Are you ready to buy stocks at your grocery store?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
mrwheelerdealer

Are you ready to buy stocks at your grocery store?

Post by mrwheelerdealer » Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:58 pm

http://www.wsj.com/articles/are-you-rea ... 1444728780
Now selling at the checkout counter: breath mints, hand sanitizer and…$25 of Berkshire Hathaway stock?

In a new twist on the bustling gift-card business, retailers such as Kmart and Office Depot this week are starting to roll out cards that give the recipients small amounts of stock in some of the country’s best-known companies. The cards will be available ahead of the holiday shopping season at other retailers, including Safeway Inc., Toys “R” Us and Lowe’s Cos.
[Quotation edited. As stated in the forum rules: "Please keep copyright restrictions in mind and reproduce only materials that qualify under fair use and limit your quotation to the minimum necessary to make your point." -admin LadyGeek]

I always like the Bogleheads take on things.

Thoughts?
Last edited by mrwheelerdealer on Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Biggest Risk is to not take one

bengal22

Re: Are you ready to buy stocks at your grocery store?

Post by bengal22 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:03 pm

If I bought stocks, I would have no problem buying them at Kroger's.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:19 pm

Well, the 2 lines that I can see without paying money look interesting. I'd like if I can get gas points for the purchases.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

small_index

Post by small_index » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:20 pm

Article requires a subscription.

For a moment I thought you were reviving "One Up On Wall Street" where Peter Lynch talked about spotting good stocks through where he visited every day - like grocery stores. How would the prospectus and SEC disclosure work for a grocery store purchase? Ultimately, I'm assuming the real story is the fees they charge for that $25 card worth of Berkshire stock.

Swampy

Post by Swampy » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:31 pm

Would that be beef or chicken stock? :wink:

PS Your link requires a paid subscription. I'm not that interested.
If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. | Failure is not an option. | If I have seen further, it is because I was carried on the shoulders of giants.

Purelife304

Post by Purelife304 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:23 pm

I wasn't in the market during any previous bubble. However what I've read on here is that just before the crashes, there was advice everywhere around what stocks you should buy, even so much so that folks that aren't typically associated with crushing it in the market are giving away stock suggestions.
Is this anything like that?

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:58 pm

Swampy wrote:Would that be beef or chicken stock? :wink:
Dang, beat me to it! That pun was like a ripe peach, just waiting to be plucked.

RoC

Post by RoC » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:56 pm

Aren't there age restrictions for purchasing stocks? Will the stores be enforcing that?

snowshoes

Post by snowshoes » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:07 pm

Last edited by snowshoes on Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

telemark

Post by telemark » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:26 pm

What do you get for your $25, a fixed number of stocks, or however many $25 will buy at the stock's closing price for that day?

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:41 pm

Fees are highway robbery!!!

$5 for $25 is 20% immediate loss. $1 transaction cost on fractional shares? And that's without figuring out how bad the spreads are when trading partial shares in their system. What time are the shares exchanged? Live during trading hours? Closing like funds? What about after hours? Opening prices are very volatile!

Aren't there some regulations they're violating? Do I get annual reports? Can I vote if I get a full share?

There was a company called one share, but the site doesn't seem to be working for me. oneshare.com
This other one looks similar. http://www.giveashare.com

All these are more for novelty than investment, which may be why they're illegal.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:52 am

mrwheelerdealer wrote:http://www.wsj.com/articles/are-you-rea ... 1444728780
Now selling at the checkout counter: breath mints, hand sanitizer and…$25 of Berkshire Hathaway stock?

In a new twist on the bustling gift-card business, retailers such as Kmart and Office Depot this week are starting to roll out cards that give the recipients small amounts of stock in some of the country’s best-known companies. The cards will be available ahead of the holiday shopping season at other retailers, including Safeway Inc., Toys “R” Us and Lowe’s Cos.
[Quotation edited. As stated in the forum rules: "Please keep copyright restrictions in mind and reproduce only materials that qualify under fair use and limit your quotation to the minimum necessary to make your point." -admin LadyGeek]

Thoughts?
Since this turns them into financial services businesses, I am amazed they can do it.

The regulatory costs associated with selling financial products to consumers are large and it opens up whole new areas of legal risk. At least it would in the UK.

VA_Gent

Post by VA_Gent » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:13 am

It is actually not a bad concept. I opened an account for my daughter to teach her about investing. There are two aspects to this:

1) Gift cards: $2.99+3% You buy dollars worth of stock.
(Yes bad deal, but it gets people who would never think about owning stock to get involved. I would venture to say that buying $100 gift card of SPY is better than some Chinese trinket that will be gone in under a year.)
Stays the dollar amount stated on the gift card until you activate it. At that time it buys you the stated dollar amount on the gift card at the closing price of the day.

2) Buy and Sell: You can buy and sell for a 99 cents commission. All orders are market on close. (That's not a bad rate)

Very easy to open account. minors have to have a parent open a joint custodial account with them.
If a minor wants to buy/sell they have to get approval from the adult. It sends an email to ask for permission.
The minor has his/her own password to view their investment progress.

Can purchase any stock in the SP500 and about 50 ETFs, including gold silver oil water lithium China and many more.

I think it is kind of cool. Will keep you posted on how it works out.

Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:30 am

Good deal if you can buy with Gift Cards and coupons.
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:58 am

This reminds me of those vending machines that dispensed gold bars.

VA_Gent

Post by VA_Gent » Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:47 am

Didn't those come out around the top in gold in 2011?
This could spell doom for stocks.

You also can invest in VTWO and VOOG with stockpile. (nice touch they tried to give each vendor several products)

BeerMoney

Post by BeerMoney » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:54 am

Even if they cost $5 so have an immediate 20% loss, compare them to parents and grandparents buying new kids savings bonds that mature in 30 years.

The kid getting the stock gift cards is probably going to end up with a lot more at age 30 than the kid with the savings bonds.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:31 pm

IMO, It encourages individual stock-picking among those who know little or nothing about stocks. Dangerous.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

breeks

Post by breeks » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:43 pm

Better than a gift card to Red Lobster.

VA_Gent

Post by VA_Gent » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:48 pm

They also have many index funds, both domestic and foreign. They even have treasury ETFs.

gloomydog

Post by gloomydog » Wed Oct 14, 2015 2:45 pm

Small print says you buy say a $50 stock gift card, fee $5ish so you pay $55.

Recipient can go to the website anytime, enter the giftcard, and get $50 worth of fractional stock based on that day's closing price.

Stock choices include index funds, though let's get real, kids are going to want Facebook or Disney shares. :)

When they want to buy/sell, they go to that site, and pay $0.99 as transaction fee, which may not be too bad if you can do a large amount.

From the site itself you can buy up to $1000 at the fixed fee.

----------------------------------
If you can buy $1000 for a $5 fee, and then buy sell at $1 (total $6 fee), a lot of credit card churners may be interested. My concern is more about viability of the company.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:19 pm

If someone gifted me one when I was much younger I would have tried to convert it to cash and spend it ASAP.
If someone gifted me one today I would try to convert it cash and and put it in my primary brokerage account ASAP.
I don't want another brokerage account lingering out there, and despite the good intentions of the gift giver, in the back of my mind I would be sarcastically thinking "Gee.. Thanks for spending $55 to give me $50 and a hassle with another tax form this year".

From the description, these seem to be just gift cards for a discount brokerage service, and not actually shares in anything. I think it would be more interesting if the cards actually represented a bearer certificate worth a share (or fractional share of the stock), and one could go online and verify using the card# that it was still valid or redeem it and transfer the share elsewhere. You could gift a card to a minor and they could actually hold onto the physical card without being forced to register and could trade the cards with their friends or something if they wanted... Probably teaching bad habits, but still more interesting as a gift. If it could be bought and traded without being forced to register though, it would probably also be heavily used for black-market type activities and scams like what's happened with those 'green dot' cards. For a number of reasons, regulators would never allow financial instruments to operate like that.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:11 pm

VA_Gent wrote:They also have many index funds, both domestic and foreign. They even have treasury ETFs.
Where did you find the index card reference? I could not find it. How is index indicated on the card? Is there an explanation of indexing?

Thanks.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

1210sda

Post by 1210sda » Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:29 pm

is this the same as having Dean Witter booths inside Sears stores in the 1980's??

HenryPorter

Post by HenryPorter » Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:22 pm

How are dividends handled?

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:30 am

HenryPorter wrote:How are dividends handled?
Here's the companies website: https://www.stockpile.com/

There are no dividends until the gift card is redeemed, when someone buys the card it's just a $50 gift card until someone registers on the website and opens an account and redeems the card... at which point the $50 is essentially turned into a deposit in a brokerage account where $50 of the stock is bought (fractional shares are allowed).
After that, the dividends are just deposited into the brokerage account like they would with any other broker. I didn't see anything on the website indicating if they allowed a "Dividend Re-Investment Plan"...
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

VA_Gent

Post by VA_Gent » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:02 am

List of ETF/ETN

https://www.stockpile.com/gift/new/choose_stock

Click pick stock button.
Chose ETF/ETN button

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:32 am

mrwheelerdealer wrote:http://www.wsj.com/articles/are-you-rea ... 1444728780

Thoughts?
so if someone receives one of these cards then liquidates it as they feel its useless.....then they fail to report on their taxes the X, Y and Z of the loss/gain....sounds like a mess waiting to happen. (didn't read the article, just your post, so, unless I'm missing something....)

synpacket

Post by synpacket » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:05 am

This is really misleading. I don't like it. The card doesn't represent holding stock. But they get their fees which is the whole point, so I guess it's great!

sesq

Post by sesq » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:51 am

I think there is a place in the market for something like this since the US Gov't basically destroyed the Savings Bond by making it completely impractical to give by eliminating paper bonds and requiring the purchaser to know the recipient's SSN. That said the purchase fee structure is odious.

I can see there being confusion and hurt feelings if one "bought" Tesla (or whatever) and saw the stock price substantially rise between purchase and gifting, thinking they timed the market, only to find out its the registration date not the purchase date that matters.

VA_Gent

Post by VA_Gent » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:29 am

It is a brokerage account. Just like your account at Vanguard. The concept is to introduce younger investors to the markets. Why is everyone getting caught up in the fees? You don't have to turn it into stock. Just cash out and transfer into your bank account (FREE).

You can also just use it like a brokerage account and pay 99 cent commissions. That is not a bad rate considering most brokerages are $7-10.

synpacket

Post by synpacket » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:27 am

VA_Gent wrote:It is a brokerage account. Just like your account at Vanguard.
That isn't how they're reporting it though. They do say that in the details, but they're hyping it up as something else. You're buying a physical form of stock at the grocery store! Cool! But that isn't what it is at all.

VA_Gent

Post by VA_Gent » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:37 am

How so?

I buy my daughter a gift card at a store.
It says $100 of S&P 500 index stock.
It has directions on how to redeem it for the stock (probably because its illegal to actually have a stock certificate hanging by the checkout.)
She redeems the card for stock.
Stock sits in her brokerage account and she watches it grow.
Now she is excited about watching it grow and decides to invest half of her allowance.
This carries over to "wow Dad this investing is fun" and she regularly invests for 50 years.
Story ends happily ever after!

Or

I buy her a trinket of some sort and its in the landfill before she leaves middle school.
Story ends that was a waste of money!

I choose the first option.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:41 pm

VA_Gent wrote:List of ETF/ETN

https://www.stockpile.com/gift/new/choose_stock

Click pick stock button.
Chose ETF/ETN button
And the very first two listed (in an innocently alphabetical manner) are daily triple funds, one of them inverse, for the Russell 1000 Financial Services Index!
Russell Investments wrote:The Russell 1000 Financial Services Index is a subset of the Russell 1000 Index that measures the performance of the securities classified in the financial services sector of the large cap U.S. equity market. ...
There oughta be a law!

PJW

VA_Gent

Post by VA_Gent » Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:48 pm

A law that says what you can invest in?

synpacket

Post by synpacket » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:11 pm

VA_Gent wrote:I choose the first option.
Your first step was "buying a gift card" but that skips over my main problem with this.

The main problem is that I thought this was a physical stock certificate (those are before my time), because they try to make it sound that way. That's just cooler than it being a gift card. Like, this thing I'm holding in my hand is the stock and it's value is going up and down with the price of the company's stock. And if I lose it, it's really gone. Or I could hand it to someone and now they own it, just like that. That idea makes it "fun" to me.

VA_Gent

Post by VA_Gent » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:33 pm

Ok I see.

Try the site listed further up the post from INBOX788, they even frame it for you.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:35 pm

VA_Gent wrote:A law that says what you can invest in?
A law that says what information the sellers of complex financial products, after all we already have laws like that for mortgages, must provide before taking customers' money.

Not a law that limits what indices organizations can create, publish, and track. Not a law that says they can't create ETFs if they feel like it. Not a law that says I can't buy what I want. Yes a consumer protection law like, for example, those that require manufacturers of over the counter drugs (aren't we talking about exchanged-listed but newly over-the-grocery-store-counter stocks here?) to state what's in them, what they're good for, how much to take, and what side effects to look out for.

We may disagree over what level of consumer protection laws are appropriate. I'm prepared to accept such an outcome.

PJW

VA_Gent

Post by VA_Gent » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:05 pm

I understand your point. Did you see the link to the prospectus above each of the ETF/ETN.

Look, I don't work for these guys. I just thought it was a unique way to get the younger crowd involved.
I'm trying it out with my daughter to see if it works.

So far all has worked as stated.
We are going the deposit money into the brokerage route and then make $.99 trades.
We will try gift card option soon.
It was also a nice time to introduce her to banking and open her own custodial Ally checking account which links to the brokerage account.

:sharebeer

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:21 pm

VA_Gent, some bogleheads post here that they don't read prospectuses, and argue here that the built-in longer-term value decay of leveraged ETFs doesn't apply to them.

Somebody, not even a boglehead, buying a stock gift card as an impulse purchase when they pay at the grocery store should be presented with leveraged sector-based ETFs as the very first two items on the ETF investment list? Really?

That's setting aside the fact that the money changes hands at the time of the gift card purchase, at which point the consumer has not had a chance to be disclosed to by the financial services vendor.

I think you and I don't agree on what consumer protection means. I'm willing to leave it at that, if you are.

PJW

VA_Gent

Post by VA_Gent » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:52 am

@PJW The only reason you noticed that is because I linked the ETF page. I sure that in a brick and mortar store the offerings will be limited and most likely very recognizable brands. The average Joe does not even know what an ETF is.

Like I said I don't disagree with your point, but those two ETFs are a small part of the total offering.

Update: Cash transfer into brokerage account was quick. 2 Days.

VA_Gent

Post by VA_Gent » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:11 am

Update: Purchased ETF at close of day, got the actual exchange closing price.

mikep

Post by mikep » Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:37 pm

$10 for $20 gift card on groupon now. If you don't want the stocks, choose other options and get a target (or other) gift card. I also went through chase portal for 8x UR with my CSR at groupon and code EXTRA20 for 20% off.

So a $20 target giftcard for $8 + 9(1+8)UR Chase points.

jehovasfitness

Post by jehovasfitness » Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:02 pm

mikep wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:37 pm
$10 for $20 gift card on groupon now. If you don't want the stocks, choose other options and get a target (or other) gift card. I also went through chase portal for 8x UR with my CSR at groupon and code EXTRA20 for 20% off.

So a $20 target giftcard for $8 + 9(1+8)UR Chase points.
Hell of a deal. Gonna have to keep a lookout for that again.

telemark

Post by telemark » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:13 pm

"No, dear, I said I needed socks, not stocks..."

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:31 pm

What? No Bitcoin? :shock: :P