Plastic free coffee maker?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kayanco

Plastic free coffee maker?

Post by kayanco » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:16 pm

Hi,

Earlier I had a thread where BHs recommended coffee makers. I ended up liking the drip coffee of Bonavita, and the Aeropress. I went with Bonavita because I can easily make 2-4 cups (16 - 32 oz).

But I'm finding myself uneasy about the plastics (even BPA free) in these machines. Especially the plastic being in contact with heated water. Even the expensive $300 Technivorm Moccamaster has a plastic brew basket (it's showerhead is not plastic though, unlike Bonavita's).

I wonder if anyone else has a similar concern? Have you looked into any coffee makers which are plastic free?

The MokaPot is plastic free, but it doesn't let you customize the number of cups. I wonder if there's a drip/pour over type that can make 8-32 oz?
I think the French Press can be plastic free, but I didn't like the taste. So I'm hoping for something that uses a paper filter.

Thanks.

drg02b

Re: Plastic free coffee maker?

Post by drg02b » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:33 pm

French press.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:38 pm

I'd suggest an espresso machine or try french press again. Paper filters are also an option.

sport

Post by sport » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:49 pm

When I was a kid, my parents used a percolator that they put on a stove burner. I believe all the parts were aluminum except for the glass knob on the top.

Sunrise

Post by Sunrise » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:32 pm

Look at the porcelain bonavita dripper that I posted about in your other thread, it is porcelain, uses a paper filter, I think it can make around 16oz (check that) and it has a valve at the bottom that you can close to steep the coffee like with a French press. It really works well and makes great coffee.

Slacker

Post by Slacker » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:58 pm

I don't use boiling water in my aeropress and I believe the instructions tell you to use water below boiling.

I target 175-185 degrees. I am under the impression that water at this heat level is fairly safe for the type of plastics used.

For a 16 oz cup of coffee I use 10 gms of coffee grounds and fill the aeropress to the number 3. For a 12oz, I use around 6-7 gms of coffee grounds and fill to the number 2.

Adjust as you see fit to your tastes.

malabargold

Post by malabargold » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:00 am

Bonmac dripper

keinodoggy

Post by keinodoggy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:41 am

GE Percolator, circa 1968, made in America so built to last. Produces a hot cup of coffee consistently. Pick one up from Ebay, Craig's list or maybe your local Good Will.

telemark

Post by telemark » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:56 am

I haven't tried them, but it looks as though one of the Chemex coffee makers would fit your needs.

autopeep

Post by autopeep » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:59 am

Pour over coffee makers are for you my friend. They will also likely produce a better cup of coffee than traditional drip devices. I think you concerns are also probably unfounded

just frank

Post by just frank » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:45 am

If you are worried about plastics...might I suggest you read about air pollution and worry about that instead?

that_guy

Post by that_guy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:35 pm

My wife (the coffee drinker in the family) swears by her Chemex. I think they make them larger enough for your needs too. I love it because its incredibly easy to clean. We buy the organic unbleached filters too.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:55 pm

keinodoggy wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:41 am
GE Percolator, circa 1968, made in America so built to last. Produces a hot cup of coffee consistently. Pick one up from Ebay, Craig's list or maybe your local Good Will.

Love it!

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:10 pm

I recently went with a Yitelle stainless steel pour over. No paper filters required; I was concerned about the chemicals used to treat the paper anyhow. Biggest surprise was how little coffee this unit needs to make a great strong cup of coffee - less than half what I was using with the paper filters. Cleanup is a bit more of a chore and requires a brush. Highly recommended. For multiple drinkers, I recommend and use a French press.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:27 pm

kayanco wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:16 pm
I wonder if anyone else has a similar concern? Have you looked into any coffee makers which are plastic free?
Pour over is what you seek. The resulting cup is brighter and less muddy than French press. Try a Chemex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yrzjkh1GvA&t=32s
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:08 pm

kayanco wrote:

But I'm finding myself uneasy about the plastics (even BPA free) in these machines. Especially the plastic being in contact with heated water. Even the expensive $300 Technivorm Moccamaster has a plastic brew basket (it's showerhead is not plastic though, unlike Bonavita's).
The best solution would be to research plastics and let facts influence your thoughts, emotions, and behaviors rather than being controlled by inchoate anxiety.

You should also accept that you will probably never find the perfect solution for making coffee and think about whether that has to do with you or with coffee makers. Perhaps try focusing your thoughts and emotions on something else for a while.

After all, it is just coffee.

keinodoggy

Post by keinodoggy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:34 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:08 pm
kayanco wrote:

The best solution would be to research plastics and let facts influence your thoughts, emotions, and behaviors rather than being controlled by inchoate anxiety.

You should also accept that you will probably never find the perfect solution for making coffee and think about whether that has to do with you or with coffee makers. Perhaps try focusing your thoughts and emotions on something else for a while.

Hey! Don't ever underestimate the value of a good cup of coffee!!!!!! Some of us depend on it's miraculous properties to start our day.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:41 pm

When my Technivorm finally developed a leak in the heating element after 12 years, I replaced it with a Bunn commercial pourover, like you would see in a diner. The basket it comes with is plastic, but I replaced it with a stainless one for about $20. Everything else except the front panel and the water door is stainless. Expensive, but it will last literally forever and makes the best drip coffee I've ever had.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:59 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:41 pm
When my Technivorm finally developed a leak in the heating element after 12 years, I replaced it with a Bunn commercial pourover, like you would see in a diner. The basket it comes with is plastic, but I replaced it with a stainless one for about $20. Everything else except the front panel and the water door is stainless. Expensive, but it will last literally forever and makes the best drip coffee I've ever had.
No gaskets or tubing?
keinodoggy wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:34 pm
Hey! Don't ever underestimate the value of a good cup of coffee!!!!!! Some of us depend on it's miraculous properties to start our day.
Same here, but I suspect there are issues at play beyond the simple desire for a good cup of coffee.

telemark

Post by telemark » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:15 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:08 pm
Blasphemy!

malabargold

Post by malabargold » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:14 pm

I have people in my family who are petroleum
chemists, “retro-synthetic organic chemists” and chemical biologists- they steer clear of plastics+ heat

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:35 pm

Pajamas wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:59 pm
lazydavid wrote:
Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:41 pm
No gaskets or tubing?
No plastic gaskets, and plastic is what we're primarily talking about here. There is one silicone gasket at the attachment point between the lid of the internal tank and the tank itself, and another where the pipe for the sprayhead attaches. All the internal piping is copper or stainless, and all other connections are flares or compression, so no gaskets are required.

The only models that have optional plastic/rubber tubing are the direct-plumbed ones, to hook them into water service. But usually I see that installed (in restaurants) as a copper hard line. As mine is the non-plumbed one, it's not even possible in my case.

kayanco

Post by kayanco » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:06 pm

Thank you all, for the suggestions and the discussion. Very helpful!