Anyone get a 'Tuff Shed' ?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Anyone get a 'Tuff Shed' ?

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:10 am

We need another shed for storage:
- A lawn mower (tractor), size 4'x5'
- A couple dirt bikes

We have space for a 8x12 shed. I've previously built such a shed from a kit, was on sale from Costco for $1k. I then added another $1k in upgrades and materials (shingles, paint, treated flooring, vents, 16" stud spacing.) It took about a month, working part time on weekends.

Now I'm once again faced with options:
- Get a Costco kit again. The prices have gone up a little and with the required extra materials it's at least another $1k above the list price.
- Get the local Tuff Shed to build it. They have many models to pick from but aren't flexible on pricing. They have a decent product.
- Build it from scratch. This is by far the most difficult and time consuming option. I could do it but I think the effort would be greater than going with a kit.
- HD has a 10% discount with Tuff Shed at the moment. I don't know who shows up to build it, presumably just HD contractors.

Anyone get a Tuff shed before?

Here's what I put together through HD, it's about $500 less than a comparable shed directly through Tuff Shed.
- 7' wall height
- 6' double door (more than enough for a mower)
- Galvanized steel subfloor
- Dimensional shingles w/ lifetime warranty
- Arrives painted
- A vent on each wall

Includes delivery and installation (though tax is not shown at this price.)

Re: Anyone get a 'Tuff Shed' ?

Post by lthenderson » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:20 am

No experience with Tuff Shed but there is a person down the road from me that builds 8' x 12' stick built sheds on skids delivered for about $2100. They definitely have a lot more character to them than the picture you linked too. I would maybe check around to see if there is someone similar in your area.

Building such a small building from scratch yourself is almost never cheaper just because of the low quantities needed.

Post by rixer » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:25 am

I got a Tuff Shed from Home Depot about 17-18 years ago. It was on sale and also had free installation and painting. We took out a HD credit card for the wife and got another 10% off.
The installers were from Tuff Shed.
I would do it again but it might be a while before I need another one.

One thing about Tuff Shed is they use stainless steel for the foundation so there isn't a big issue with rusting or rotting.

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:10 pm

Yes, I could get more "character" for more $$$:
- The 'barn' or 'cottage' look for the structure, but both cost more
- Windows, shutters, trim, vents, skylights, flower boxes - all can be added at more cost

Post by shawndoggy » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:29 pm

I got that "style" shed a couple of years ago from a local outfit (whose work I could see and touch) at about a 20% discount from the HD/TuffShed pricing. Might be worth looking into whether you have a similar option locally?

Post by Nestegg_User » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:10 pm

a few years ago we got a 10 x 20 Tuff Shed with the double door configuration but with a gambrel roof style (as it gave more usable area when we put a loft up) .
There are times when they are **more than 10% off** through HD__ probably their slack period when they need to get more business.

we had already had a pad poured for it- -
We had it put up just before we arrived- - it does look decent, we had ordered a few upgrades (more windows, better security for doors, etc)

we did have them come back to do some touch up on the painting- - trim wasn’t up to par, and they came out without any problems (there is a bit of color selection, but not as much as some may like- - we were trying to come close to the house color scheme) The contractors were from Tuff Shed.

If you have a local contractor, they can put in better windows than Tuff Shed uses. (Tuff Shed is a better build quality than those in Lowes and some other generic shed sites... It appears that they would also support the guarantee. ) For what we needed, it works fine; we’ve added electrical and heating for a decent work area after putting in lofts. (Their framing supports that while others don’t; it allows for extra storage area out of the weather)

Post by Mndiver » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:12 pm

Have you considered an EZ Build shed from Menards? Sounds like a good compromise of what you are talking about and save a considerable amount. I was looking at an 8x12 for about $1,000. It’s basically a kit they deliver with easy step by step directions.

Post by 5th_Dimension » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:01 pm

Based on your user name I would suggest looking at Socal Sheds to see if they service your area. They build their sheds at your site on skids. I had them put in a shed and was very satisfied.
"I could totally afford all this cheese"

Post by TxAg » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:59 pm

My parents had one delivered and assembled through Home Depot. They love it. It was assembled in just a couple hours. They saved a few bucks by painting it themselves.

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:20 pm

Ended up getting at Tuff Shed via Home Depot!

- They have a 10% discount this month
- No Tax!

Saved $600 compared to Tuff Shed factory ordering.

Post by jc1409 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:25 pm

I see you already made your purchase - fwiw I'm another happy Tuff Shed customer. Bought one for a rental house that does not have a garage. Much less expensive than a quote received from a contractor for a 'built from scratch' version he proposed. The Tuff Shed installers did a great job. Fit and finish not perfect, but I didn't expect it to be and went with one of the lower-end models. Installers knew local codes and made sure to meet requirements. Have no complaints about it after ~3 years of tenant use.

Post by MnD » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:54 am

I bought a Yardline shed at Costco during a road show and paid to have them assemble it. At the time it was cheaper, more extras and more character than the comparable sized Tuff Shed. We're really happy with it - very sturdy. The standard caulking was pretty minimal so I did a lot more of that and painted it. So just a couple hours of my time. ... 154+755111

Post by Rob54keep » Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:00 pm

I have purchased two Tuff Sheds over the years - two different houses. The one I have now is 7 years old. I added ventilation vents (low and high) and painted the inside floor. No problems and I would buy again.