Factory reset - Apps now incompatible

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fsrph

Factory reset - Apps now incompatible

Post by fsrph » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:29 pm

This isn't an earth shattering problem but it's frustrating. I had to factory reset my Nook HD Plus. Lost all my added apps which I expected.

Went to the Play Store to reinstall them and many apps couldn't be downloaded. I received the message "This app is incompatible with your device". Examples of apps that won't download are Vanguard, Geico, weather app, and many more. Went from using them yesterday to incompatible today. Any idea what's going on? I did check the version of Play Store and it is the latest version. Thanks.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

rob65

Re: Factory reset - Apps now incompatible

Post by rob65 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:44 pm

This is just a complete guess, but do you need to reinstall updates to the operating system?

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:57 pm

Good guess. But when I try to update the OS it shows no new updates available.
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:10 pm

This happened to my Nexus. I found that when you do a reset it sometimes takes some time for the OS to update to the most recent version, causing incompatibility issues with the apps. I shut down and restarted a couple times a day, as well as leaving it on overnight to capture any of the updates. After 3-4 days the full update was completed. Strange, I know.

In addition, I did several resets before it finally took. I am not sure what caused the issue, but all is good now.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:53 pm

Seen this with IOS and Android OS. Basically the app gets updated on the App Store to a version that will not run on your device. Your previous app was an older version that would run. Sometimes you can locate the older app and force a download of it... Other times you are out of luck...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:16 pm

SimonJester wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:53 pm
Seen this with IOS and Android OS. Basically the app gets updated on the App Store to a version that will not run on your device. Your previous app was an older version that would run. Sometimes you can locate the older app and force a download of it... Other times you are out of luck...
This is the problem.

It's a good argument for root/backup apps (such as Titanium), however it also means you persist in using non-updated apps that have not fixed security issues, so it may not be advisable.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:46 pm

SimonJester wrote:
I recently had a complete reset (actually, a like-for-like hardware replacement due to HW failure). At least one deprecated app vanished. I think this is normal. I guess a deprecated app might continue to run OK (although no guarantees) through several OS updates but then is gonzo when you do a reset.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

gostars

Post by gostars » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:41 pm

There are third-party firmware versions available for the Nook HD+ that let you upgrade it to Android 7.1. You would lose any Nook-specific customizations, but you end up with a tablet that's usable for newer apps, so it might be worth it. It does take some technical know-how, but the instructions at https://nookhdplusandroid7.wordpress.com/ are pretty good. Disclaimer: I don't own a Nook and so I can't vouch specifically for these instructions or the firmware version linked, and I take no responsibility if your tablet turns into a brick, spontaneously combusts, or otherwise stops functioning as desired :wink:.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:00 am

Chuck wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:16 pm
SimonJester wrote:
This is the problem.
Yes, this is what happened to one app for me when I did a reset on a tablet that was still running Kitkat. Found an older version and installed it.
it also means you persist in using non-updated apps that have not fixed security issues, so it may not be advisable.
But when this happens it means you are already running an OS that is probably not getting updates, doesn't it? In my case, I don't think Samsung is issuing updates of any kind to my 4-5 year old device?
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

Chuck

Post by Chuck » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:10 am

Yes, I mean that it may not be advisable to use that old tablet at all for anything that should be secure. Then again, if you are not using public wi-fi, or downloading sketchy apps, you also may be just fine.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:07 am

SimonJester wrote:
100% correct. Newer versions of many apps will not run on older devices - way too expensive for dev and QA teams to back test new releases to older devices.