Suggestions for the Wiki

Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions for the Wiki

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:47 pm

No problem. There was one extra line after footnoe #7, which is fixed. The rest is identical to the published chart.

See: IRA rollovers and transfers

Update: Another wiki has corrected the footnotes after my original edit.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

crit

Post by crit » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:18 pm

Hi. Apologies for not searching whether this suggestion has been made here in advance, but I'm on mobile.

In the Backdoor Roth page, I think it would be worthwhile to post a suggestion. To report a full backdoor in Turbo Tax (at least, and possibly other software), it is often helpful to skip the suggested order of entry, which is income first, and IRAs later. Instead, use the index of topics to report the contribution to traditional IRA first. Then go back to the income section to enter the 1099R that reports the distribution, aka conversion, to Roth.

In my (and it seems, several others') experience, TurboTax gets confused if you report the income (1099R) component first.

Max125

Post by Max125 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:32 am

Hi,

on the page „Bogleheads® investment philosophy“ in the paragraph „Diversify“ it’s said that „If there were no fees, then every year, half of all actively managed funds would outperform the index (because the index is the average).“

This is only true for the median. Because average mostly means arithmetic mean (at least in Germany. So please correct me if I’m wrong) that’s false.

An oversimplified example for clarification:
If two funds are at 8 and four funds are at 2 the average is 4, yet only two are above and 4 are under the average.

This short sentence should probably be removed or clarified.

ShortStop

Post by ShortStop » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:54 pm

On the FTSE Developed Asia Pacific All Cap Index Wiki page the FTSE Pacific ETF is listed as VXUS twice. It should be VPL.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:34 pm

Yes, it should be VPL. Thanks!

The wiki has been updated: FTSE Developed Asia Pacific All Cap Index
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:01 pm

Max125 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:32 am
Hi,

on the page „Bogleheads® investment philosophy“ in the paragraph „Diversify“ it’s said that „If there were no fees, then every year, half of all actively managed funds would outperform the index (because the index is the average).“

This is only true for the median. Because average mostly means arithmetic mean (at least in Germany. So please correct me if I’m wrong) that’s false.

An oversimplified example for clarification:
If two funds are at 8 and four funds are at 2 the average is 4, yet only two are above and 4 are under the average.

This short sentence should probably be removed or clarified.
Welcome! Thanks for the correction, the wiki has been revised: Bogleheads® investment philosophy - Bogleheads (Diversify)

The wiki is a collaborative effort. The View history tab (top-right corner) shows the editing activity.

Changes can be seen by selecting two revisions, then "Compare selected revisions". Your suggestion has been implemented here.

davidski

Wiki - Correcting Dead Link

Post by davidski » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:01 pm

I'm a relatively recent lurker and hence don't have PM permissions to request Wiki edit rights.

The wiki entry for Reverse Mortgages has a dead link to Washington state's deferred tax program for seniors. The correct link should be - https://dor.wa.gov/content/property-tax ... ed-persons.

If someone with edit permissions could make this change, that would be terrific. Thanks!

-David

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:11 pm

Welcome! I moved your post into relevant thread.

Thanks, the link has been fixed. See: Reverse mortgages