AmEx Delta Gold is now Honoring Bonus

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
DavidRoseMountain

Re: AmEx Delta Gold Not Honoring Bonus

Post by DavidRoseMountain » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:41 pm

THY4373 wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:15 pm

Did you have any returns and I mean any no matter how small?
No I had no returns. I only used the card a couple of times. To pay federal income taxes, and to buy a Delta flight to go visit my parents.

drk

Post by drk » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:56 pm

BeneIRA wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:57 am
Dottie57 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:15 am
whodidntante wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:54 am
I'm a churner and I'm a bit wary of Amex.

Couple of things.

Amex offers typically (but not always) include "lifetime" language. Which means you aren't going to get the bonus twice, most of the time.

Amex has a "rewards abuse team" that will disallow a bonus based on certain behaviors. If you happened to meet the spending buying gift cards, they might deny your bonus. Issuers can sometimes see detailed information about your transactions, known as level 3 data. And sometimes it's obvious by the merchant you used, e.g. a $3,000 transaction from giftcardmall.com.

Read this:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/15-thing ... n-express/

Why would buying gift cards be a problem? It is still a purchase!
Amex is cracking down on the Visa/Mastercard/Amex gift cards, not on, say, a Best Buy gift card. They don't believe it is a purchase even if it codes as one. It's just their rule.
That would make sense, but they actually dislike closed loop gift cards (e.g., a Best Buy gift card). They just have a harder time identifying them.

DavidRoseMountain

Post by DavidRoseMountain » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:02 pm

PhilosophyAndrew wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:37 am
I find the outrage here puzzling. Isn’t it reasonable for a credit card company not to cater to customers who are avid churners or are applying for products just to play a “rewards game?” Maybe I’m missing something, but aren’t those exactly the sort of customers those firms would not want to recruit and retain?

Getting angry about policies that are designed to prevent churning and game-playing strikes me as an example of unreasonable entitlement — why should we expect those companies to support that behavior?

From a personal finance standpoint, devoting energy instead learning how to (1) increase earned income, (2) invest more effectively, or (3) consume less seems more constructive than trying to game the credit card system — and especially so when credit card companies are pushing back against that game-playing.
This is a bit judgmental and really is not addressing the issue I raised at all.

DavidRoseMountain

Post by DavidRoseMountain » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:05 pm

dbr wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:55 am
Without a doubt you are not getting the bonus because you had the card before. The language would be somewhere in the terms and conditions that you could have linked to. That would be a sentence in a few pages of text.

As far as I know paying income taxes is allowed spend for any credit card bonuses I am aware of.
I downloaded all the files when I applied for the card, and in the Terms, Conditions, & Disclosures file, there is no lifetime limited language anywhere.

DavidRoseMountain

Post by DavidRoseMountain » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:07 pm

I've filed a complaint with the CFPB.
But I also may send out a tweet and write a letter to the CEO as others on here suggested.

drk

Post by drk » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:07 pm

PhilosophyAndrew wrote:
I find the outrage here puzzling. Isn’t it reasonable for a credit card company not to cater to customers who are avid churners or are applying for products just to play a “rewards game?” Maybe I’m missing something, but aren’t those exactly the sort of customers those firms would not want to recruit and retain?

Getting angry about policies that are designed to prevent churning and game-playing strikes me as an example of unreasonable entitlement — why should we expect those companies to support that behavior?

From a personal finance standpoint, devoting energy instead learning how to (1) increase earned income, (2) invest more effectively, or (3) consume less seems more constructive than trying to game the credit card system — and especially so when credit card companies are pushing back against that game-playing.
The point of these bonuses is to incentivize new customers to try out a product. If the product is a poor value proposition post-bonus (e.g., the American Express Platinum), that's the company's fault. It is not entitled to have customers stick with a weak product.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:43 am

drk wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:56 pm
BeneIRA wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:57 am
Dottie57 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:15 am
whodidntante wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:54 am
I'm a churner and I'm a bit wary of Amex.

Couple of things.

Amex offers typically (but not always) include "lifetime" language. Which means you aren't going to get the bonus twice, most of the time.

Amex has a "rewards abuse team" that will disallow a bonus based on certain behaviors. If you happened to meet the spending buying gift cards, they might deny your bonus. Issuers can sometimes see detailed information about your transactions, known as level 3 data. And sometimes it's obvious by the merchant you used, e.g. a $3,000 transaction from giftcardmall.com.

Read this:
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/15-thing ... n-express/

Why would buying gift cards be a problem? It is still a purchase!
Amex is cracking down on the Visa/Mastercard/Amex gift cards, not on, say, a Best Buy gift card. They don't believe it is a purchase even if it codes as one. It's just their rule.
That would make sense, but they actually dislike closed loop gift cards (e.g., a Best Buy gift card). They just have a harder time identifying them.
I haven’t seen a crack down on closed loop gift cards like I have with cash equivalent gift cards. If Amex has level 3 data, why is it hard to catch?

OP, Amex just updated their terms again which makes this issue that much more murky. See the link below. Amex RAT is at it again.
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-upd ... ng-points/

Ninnie

Post by Ninnie » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:03 am

willthrill81 wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:41 am
I'm not a fan of AMEX if it involves bonuses. A couple of years ago, we applied for one of their bonus cards that would supposedly give us 6% cash back on grocery purchases. Before we took out the card, we specifically asked one of their reps if our local grocery store would qualify for this, and they said that it would. We later found that to be completely wrong, which meant that we got no benefit from the card at all, and AMEX wasn't interested in doing anything about it.
That's too bad this happened to you. It isn't the norm though. We use our Amex BCP at a variety of grocery stores, including a few local mom-and-pop stores, and it always counts as grocery.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:00 am

LifeIsGood wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:03 am
I ran into a similar situation with AmEx - received a "you're pre-approved" offer in the mail. I called to make sure I was eligible for the bonus and was assured that I was. When the bonus didn't post I was told that I had the card previously and didn't qualify. I got no where with a CFPB complaint, Twitter post and finally spoke with someone in the corporate office. They gave me a long song-and-dance that because I couldn't supply the name of the person who said I was eligible for the bonus - no dice. They gave me a $25 card credit for my trouble. This episode left a very bitter taste in my mouth with AmEx.
My complaint centered around "Why do you target market people with large bonus offerings when they are not eligible for them"? Corporate said their computers weren't able to distinguish this. BULL!
Wow. That is some serious bull indeed. I applied for a 100,000 Platinum Bonus with a very low spend. It was probably never intended to be a public link. Of course, our bonus points were frozen and it took a few months of the RAT review before they freed them up. I was expected to never get them at all, even though we met all the terms and conditions. At this point, I don't mess with AMEX and I've taken my business elsewhere.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:07 am

drk wrote:
Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:07 pm
PhilosophyAndrew wrote:

The point of these bonuses is to incentivize new customers to try out a product. If the product is a poor value proposition post-bonus (e.g., the American Express Platinum), that's the company's fault. It is not entitled to have customers stick with a weak product.
I agree 100%. All sorts of products offer incentives - Omaha Steaks, Chewy.com, you name it. I don't see how credit cards are any different. There is a lot of profit to be made and these incentives are part of their advertising. Even though I'm a (low level) churner, I've found that some cards ended up being worthy of a spot in my wallet after the bonus was over. Discover Card, with the rotating 5% categories, is one of those cards.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:23 am

Ninnie wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:03 am

That's too bad this happened to you. It isn't the norm though. We use our Amex BCP at a variety of grocery stores, including a few local mom-and-pop stores, and it always counts as grocery.
This is a known issue with Amex. Super Walmarts with grocery stores are often grocery stores on Visa and MC but not Amex. Also a few pure grocery store chains are also not categorized grocery my Amex. I think a couple of Kroger subsidiaries out west are not.

drk

Post by drk » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:52 am

BeneIRA wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:43 am
drk wrote:
I haven’t seen a crack down on closed loop gift cards like I have with cash equivalent gift cards. If Amex has level 3 data, why is it hard to catch?

OP, Amex just updated their terms again which makes this issue that much more murky. See the link below. Amex RAT is at it again.
Alas, this one I heard from the horse's mouth. Before Christmas, Amex revoked a bonus because of a return, despite my having still completed the spend requirement. I lodged a complaint, and the investigator came back with a list of gift cards I had purchased. They were all legitimate purchases, but he wouldn't budge off the line that the terms explicitly exclude gift cards.

BackOfTheNet

Post by BackOfTheNet » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:55 am

Submit a complaint to the CFPB. Easy way to get your issue elevated.

Exterous

Post by Exterous » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:05 am

sperry8 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:51 am
awval999 wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:07 am
DavidRoseMountain wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:37 pm
The customer support person doesn't know for sure, but says I applied for the card a couple of years ago, which I did. I had the card a couple of months. I didn't get a miles bonus then. Moreover, there's nothing in the language of the application or terms/conditions that states you can't apply again for the card or that it prevents the applicant from receiving a bonus.
You're not getting the bonus.
+1. If you had the card in the past you will not receive the bonus for the remainder of your life. American Express only allows bonuses 1x per life per customer. The only argument you have is to tell them you didn't achieve the terms of the original offer and never received the bonus. But I doubt they'll have the records to corroborate your story.
There are a fair number of data points that the 1x lifetime Amex restriction is actually 1x every ~7 years. Not to mention the various offers that have shown up without that language

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:13 pm

I think the OP has a legitimate beef if the applicable language can't be found anywhere in the offer. I also think there is no chance of getting the bonus at this point. It could be the procedure and contacts suggested here might produce a resolution: http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts ... n-express/

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:47 pm

alpenglow wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:00 am
At this point, I don't mess with AMEX and I've taken my business elsewhere.
Your churning business? :shock: :D

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:57 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:47 pm
alpenglow wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:00 am
At this point, I don't mess with AMEX and I've taken my business elsewhere.
Your churning business? :shock: :D
LOL. I'm a very low level churner. I don't MS. I open a few cards per year. I charge everything - no cash, no debit. That's a lot of business for the credit card companies I use - Chase, PenFed, Discover, and Fidelity VISA / Elon (aka US Bank).

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:52 pm

alpenglow wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:07 am
Even though I'm a (low level) churner, I've found that some cards ended up being worthy of a spot in my wallet after the bonus was over. Discover Card, with the rotating 5% categories, is one of those cards.
Yes, give me cash rebates that equal or exceed* what I get with no annual fee from other cards (eg. the no fee Hilton Amex) or a benefit that exceeds the cost of the annual fee (eg. IHG) and I will keep the card and possibly use it.

*They are currently up against 4% gas, 3% grocery, restaurant, and hotel, 2% Costco, and 1.5% everywhere else (which will become 2%, if I ever get around to getting the Citi double cash). And also 5% rotating categories from Discover and Freedom.

They are also free to not approve my application for a card with a sign-up bonus based on my history of opening and closing accounts.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:54 pm

My guess is that paying the large amount for the taxes is what flagged the account for review by the AMEX Rat team and they disqualified the bonus. Just a guess. I would guess this is a disallowed manufactured spending activity as a cash like purchase, similar to buying gift cards.

DavidRoseMountain

Post by DavidRoseMountain » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:01 pm

So if I went to Saks Fifth Avenue and spent $3,000 on clothes that's ok ?
But not paying $3,000 in taxes ?

Doesn't make any sense, and it's not specifically prohibited for meeting bonus requirement in the 14 pages of terms, conditions, that I downloaded upon applying for the card.

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:14 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:54 pm
My guess is that paying the large amount for the taxes is what flagged the account for review by the AMEX Rat team and they disqualified the bonus. Just a guess. I would guess this is a disallowed manufactured spending activity as a cash like purchase, similar to buying gift cards.
I don't believe that for a second.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:52 pm

dbr wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:14 pm
Nate79 wrote:
This is not the first reference of AMEX cancelling a bonus specifically related to paying taxes.
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/amex-upd ... us-system/

Paying taxes was/is a manufactured spend method for credit card bonuses for years. It would not be surprising to shut this one down as it is a cash equivalent because you can get it refunded back to you on next year's tax return.

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:59 pm

Nate79 wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:52 pm
dbr wrote:
Nate79 wrote:
This is not the first reference of AMEX cancelling a bonus specifically related to paying taxes.

Paying taxes was/is a manufactured spend method for credit card bonuses for years. It would not be surprising to shut this one down as it is a cash equivalent because you can get it refunded back to you on next year's tax return.
I have never seen such a reference before that and that one is pretty deep into the hearsay. I will grant you one point of reference though. There is an extensive discussion here and I don't think anyone has posted a warning on the subject: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit- ... -card.html Given 426 responses it would be hard to find a posting of an exception, and it is not listed in the Wiki at the top. On the other hand the AMEX once in a lifetime is well known even if we can't find wording in the T&C. I agree targeting solicitations to people that may not be qualified is shoddy but it is hardly unknown.

DrGrnTum

Post by DrGrnTum » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:27 pm

dbr wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:59 pm
Nate79 wrote:
dbr wrote:
Nate79 wrote:

I have never seen such a reference before that and that one is pretty deep into the hearsay. I will grant you one point of reference though. There is an extensive discussion here and I don't think anyone has posted a warning on the subject: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credit- ... -card.html Given 426 responses it would be hard to find a posting of an exception, and it is not listed in the Wiki at the top. On the other hand the AMEX once in a lifetime is well known even if we can't find wording in the T&C. I agree targeting solicitations to people that may not be qualified is shoddy but it is hardly unknown.
I am also very skeptical about paying your taxes as a cause for Amex to not give card holders there bonus. I spent a large amount of time monitoring the CC churning sites and there are not a lot of post reporting that this has now become a common practice. Those sites would be blowing up right now.
Granted it, I have read about a number of odd-ball shutdowns and rejections on getting bonuses, but paying some of your large bills like taxes does not seem to be one of the common reasons for rejection.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:09 pm

Nate79 wrote:

I see one quote in the comments with no back up to that claim even the blog owner questions it. I very much doubt it is paying taxes that is the cause.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:36 pm

DrGrnTum wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:27 pm
dbr wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:59 pm
Nate79 wrote:
dbr wrote:
Nate79 wrote:

I am also very skeptical about paying your taxes as a cause for Amex to not give card holders there bonus. I spent a large amount of time monitoring the CC churning sites and there are not a lot of post reporting that this has now become a common practice. Those sites would be blowing up right now.
Granted it, I have read about a number of odd-ball shutdowns and rejections on getting bonuses, but paying some of your large bills like taxes does not seem to be one of the common reasons for rejection.
You both may be right. Not sure. But reading that linked thread is the exact type of activity the Rat team has been going after. That thread is full of MS of overpaying taxes and getting the money back as refunds. Again, not saying it is the reason but anyone paying taxes for the purpose of getting AMEX bonus is running a risk in my view.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:48 pm

I wonder if they are able to distinguish between paying estimated taxes (which can easily be overpaid and refunded) vs. paying actual taxes due with a tax return?

I had never thought of overpaying taxes to manufacture spending before and have never engaged in any of the manufactured spending tricks. The most I have done is move up spending by buying Costco cash cards or a grocery store gift card. But I'd been thinking I might finish off my spending on Delta Amex by paying a bit of next year's estimated taxes. I have only about $400 to go. As it turns out, I won't need to as medical and dental bills should get me to $3000.

I have no taxes due this year but will owe a lot next year, being now retired and ready to do Roth conversions...
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

DavidRoseMountain

Post by DavidRoseMountain » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:45 pm

When I pay my estimated taxes quarterly, nothing gets refunded back to me. If I'm owed money, I don't get a refund. It simply is used to pay the following year's estimated taxes.

The idea that estimate taxes can lead to refunds doesn't make sense for the vast majority of quarterly estimated tax payers.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:02 pm

drk wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:52 am
BeneIRA wrote:
Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:43 am
drk wrote:

Alas, this one I heard from the horse's mouth. Before Christmas, Amex revoked a bonus because of a return, despite my having still completed the spend requirement. I lodged a complaint, and the investigator came back with a list of gift cards I had purchased. They were all legitimate purchases, but he wouldn't budge off the line that the terms explicitly exclude gift cards.
That sounds like someone reviewed your account and was fishing for a reason to deny you. The computer algorithm isn't catching that at this point, at least for me. Calling in and getting eyes on your account? That's a death sentence.

slbnoob

Post by slbnoob » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:04 pm

Just saw on a different forum (slickdeals), there are many others who've had issues with Amex not issuing them their bonus and/or the statement credit. Seems like you're not alone.

DavidRoseMountain

Re: AmEx Delta Gold is now Honoring Bonus

Post by DavidRoseMountain » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:42 pm

Made edit changes to my first post to reflect that the bonus was honored after all.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:11 pm

DavidRoseMountain wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:42 pm
Made edit changes to my first post to reflect that the bonus was honored after all.
Congratulations, I am glad it worked out. Thank you for
Coming back to tell us how it turned out. You may want to apply for the Delta Platinum that currently has a 70,000 bonus and keep that ongoing instead since in year 2, you get the companion fare.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:13 pm

BeneIRA wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:11 pm
You may want to apply for the Delta Platinum that currently has a 70,000 bonus and keep that ongoing instead since in year 2, you get the companion fare.
Do you happen to know if Amex/Delta offer an upgrade path with bonus points, like Amex/Hilton have done for years for the Hilton Honors cards?

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:20 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:13 pm
BeneIRA wrote:
You may want to apply for the Delta Platinum that currently has a 70,000 bonus and keep that ongoing instead since in year 2, you get the companion fare.
Do you happen to know if Amex/Delta offer an upgrade path with bonus points, like Amex/Hilton have done for years for the Hilton Honors cards?
I haven't heard of a Delta Gold to Delta Platinum upgrade. I have seen several others, but no Delta, unfortunately. Assuming you already have gotten the sign up bonus for the Platinum.

drk

Post by drk » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:54 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:13 pm
BeneIRA wrote:
Yes, they do. Here's a post on Doctor of Credit for the business version, but they do the same for personal cards.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:50 pm

drk wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:54 pm
Yes, they do. Here's a post on Doctor of Credit for the business version, but they do the same for personal cards.
Unfortunately that particular offer doesn’t include any bonus miles for the upgrade. Better to get another separate plat card in that case.
BeneIRA wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:20 pm
I haven't heard of a Delta Gold to Delta Platinum upgrade. I have seen several others, but no Delta, unfortunately. Assuming you already have gotten the sign up bonus for the Platinum.
I haven’t had the Platinum card yet. I will re-evaluate at the end of the year when the AF for the Gold card comes due whether to “upgrade” via new application. In the meantime I am waiting for the new premium Marriott/SPG card.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:53 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:50 pm
drk wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:54 pm
Unfortunately that particular offer doesn’t include any bonus miles for the upgrade. Better to get another separate plat card in that case.
BeneIRA wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:20 pm
I haven’t had the Platinum card yet. I will re-evaluate at the end of the year when the AF for the Gold card comes due whether to “upgrade” via new application. In the meantime I am waiting for the new premium Marriott/SPG card.
Ah, okay. In that case, I am probably opening the Platinum Delta, possibly now, if you are considering keeping the Delta Gold open. The 70,000 SkyMiles bonus may not be around when your annual fee is due. The Delta Gold has next to no ongoing advantages after the sign up bonus aside from early boarding and one free checked bag. The first year, the annual fee is basically $95 because there is the $100 Delta statement credit.

Mike2712

Post by Mike2712 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:21 am

Hi David,

I'm in the same boat as you, but unfortunately I did not have your foresight of saving the T&C's for the offer. Amex is still fighting me on the bonus, but I have finally reached a rep who said she'll honor the points if I can send her the T&Cs which don't show the once-per-lifetime language. Since it seems that you saved a copy, any chance you could maybe upload them to dropbox or similar and post a link here? That sure would be helpful.

Thanks,
Mike