Need help on car decision: Honda CRV vs luxury car used

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
markcoop

Need help on car decision: Honda CRV vs luxury car used

Post by markcoop »

I am in the market for a car. Have 2 kids in college and 1 in high school. We also like to do outdoor stuff like bike. The car that's being replace is a Honda Odyssey where we were able to fit both bikes in the car standing up (I also have bike racks). So, looking to get the smallest car where I could put 2 bikes in it. I think such a car would also be fine bringing my kids to/from college.

Over the weekend looked at 3 cars: Honda CRV, Toyota Rav 4, Mazda CX5. For the price, I decided the Honda CRV was the best car for me (I did not check out if my bikes will fit in it (I know they will taking the front tire off but would love it if they fit with the tires on; they are not huge bikes). So, for around $30K all told, I can get the EX level which has a whole bunch of options I like.

I was speaking to a friend last night and he suggested for $30K, I can get an awesome lightly used SUV (2-3 years old, under 30K miles). I did some quick looks and did see some (Audi, Volvo, BMW and some others).

I was wondering what Bogleheads thought at this price range what is the better car to get - new Honda CRV or 2-3 yr old premium SUV? What's nice about a new car is all the new latest technology. But a 2-3 yr old premium car could be very nice too.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any input.
Mark
bloom2708

Re: Need help on car decision: Honda CRV vs luxury car used

Post by bloom2708 »

Getting 2 bicycles fully in a car will be a tough use case for a car/SUV.

Are you OK with taking off the front and rear wheels? 2 bikes in a trunk will be iffy. Bike scraping on bike.

I would buy the car you want and then get a trunk mount or hitch mount 2 bike rack.

I use this rack with my Lexus LS sedan:

https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Sports-Del ... +bike+rack

I have two of them. I use a couple of bungee cords to keep the bike wheels from moving and handlebars from turning. Quite secure.

Another option is to buy a couple of Brompton folding bikes and put them in the trunk of any car. :wink:
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

I have a 2016 CRV purchased new and have been very happy with the vehicle. Having said that, I have been looking at 1-2 year old Acura RDX models which are upscale Hondas with more tech items than my SE CRV. I will drive the CRV for several more years, but will likely upgrade to a low mileage Acura RDX or MDX at some point.

I would not upgrade to the SUVs you mention due to cost of maintenance for the BMW/Audi type vehicles.

If you are looking for luxury now, the CRV is not going to scratch that itch.

Good luck with your choice,

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
Topic Author
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

I'm talking about putting the back seats down. I have seen pictures where you can do it taking just the front wheel off. They even have some attachment you can buy to attach the front fork to something.

Not looking for luxury, but wouldn't mind it.
Mark
shawndoggy

Post by shawndoggy »

Nothing beats an odyssey for hauling bikes inside. Not even a full sized SUV.
Topic Author
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

mistake post
Mark
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

markcoop wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:38 pm I was speaking to a friend last night and he suggested for $30K, I can get an awesome lightly used SUV (2-3 years old, under 30K miles). I did some quick looks and did see some (Audi, Volvo, BMW and some others).
I would never buy an off-warranty German car, unless it was a 1970's or early 1980's Mercedes.

Go with the new Honda. Not only do you get the benefit of the warranty now, but you get the likely benefit of lower repair costs when the warranty expires.
DocSleepy72

Post by DocSleepy72 »

I have a 2012 Volvo XC60 (very similar in size to the CRV). Smooth ride. Been very dependable. Gas mileage is lacking, and there is no way I am getting two adult bikes in the back with the seats down without knocking something out of alignment. I got a trailer hitch and bought a nice Thule four-bike rack. Works great.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I would not own a "premium" car of the likes of BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc. without a warranty (or extended warranty). They are quite expensive to fix and maintain. I would exclude Lexus/Acura from that list though as they are very reliable and not quite as pricey to fix/maintain.

I would go with the Honda. I have a CX-5 though and love it. I thought it was more sporty to drive and less cookie cutter/suburban than the Honda. But that is strictly my opinion.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

The Honda Pilot has a lot of room with two rows folded down. The CR-V is a hot vehicle right now so you can get a Pilot for not much more. Toyota Highlander is also a good choice. Honda/Toyota are reliable and long lasting so you don't save much used with their resale value.
TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 »

I have a 2017 CRV Touring, love it, my 1st SUV after many minivans when the kids were growing up. Yes you can fit 2 bikes in the back if you fold down the back seat and take the tire off. I went with a hitch, UHaul $150 installed and a bike rack for my 2 bikes much easier.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

We just sold our 2004 CR-V (172k miles) and were all set to buy a new CR-V but wound up having problems with the front seats digging into our backs so upgraded to a new Pilot with larger seats. I really wish the CR-V would have worked out for us as the Pilot is a lot more vehicle than we needed but nice having the 6 cylinder and higher view.

I would recommend putting in a hitch then hitch mount the bicycle rack, keeps everything outside and you can hang up to 4 bike with the Thule hitch mount rack.

The EX model CR-V is quite interesting with all of the safety features, worth the upgrade from the base model.

Good luck!
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
shawndoggy

Post by shawndoggy »

with a hitch rack, I'd much rather have a sedan than an SUV. With the sedan you can open the trunk while bikes are on the rack. Not so much with SUV (yes, there are tilting/folding/opening hitch racks that will begrudgingly accommodate (at substantial cost), but with sedan the trunk "just opens").
SeaToTheBay

Post by SeaToTheBay »

As a car nut, I always suggest CPO 2-3 years old. You get a very similar car to new without taking the worst of the deprecation hit, and get just about the same warranty since they usually tack on 2 years of warranty on top of what's left of the original.

Have you looked at a CPO CR-V? You might be able to save a little bit, get some extra warranty, and get the exact same car that you would get new.

As far as getting bikes to fit, with the seats folded you should be just fine in any of these. I also used to be really into mountain biking, and frequently got two mountain bikes into the back of my Acura Integra hatchback coupe without taking wheels off! I did have to lay them on top of each other, but they fit fine and I just put some blankets between then. SUV should be no problem. You might also consider just a car + bike rack - what do you really need an SUV for?
sorting retirement

Post by sorting retirement »

Hi there!

I bought a 2017 Honda CR-V EX-L last about 8 months ago, upgrading from a 2008 Audi A4 (that I bought at 3 years old off-lease). All told, new, it was about 30K for the EX-L plus an 8 year 120,000 mile HondaCare warranty (the official Honda warranty, not an aftermarket one). So I think the prices you're getting quoted may be a bit high, unless the prices have changed significantly since then.

Moving from the Audi to the Honda, I'll say that I would go with the Honda. I loved the Audi, and it was definitely more fun to drive... but after the warranty expired, every time I started it up was like spinning a roulette wheel. I averaged ~2k a year in repairs alone for the last two years, and that was with a good and I think relatively affordable mechanic. I traded it in after 6 years at 65k miles (bought at 15k).

For the 2-3 year old premium car--it will be absolutely fantastic for the first two-thee years (while still under warranty) and then you're just going to be afraid to turn the ignition and have to spend another $1500 in the shop. Plus everything (oil changes, brakes, etc) will cost a lot more. An Acura RDX or MDX may be worth looking at (maintenance is lower, repairs less likely), but unfortunately at least as of 2017 in the RDX they exclude the basic safety features in the CRV EX in all but the highest level models. (I was looking at getting an RDX given the good discounts, but found out to get collision mitigation and blind spot detection it pushed a ~33k car up to near 45k, which I just could not justify).

Right now I'm delighted that I know I've paid for the next >7 years of my car, including warranty repairs (except tires and brakes).

Good luck with whatever you choose! (Also--I've heard great things about Buicks, and they depreciate really quickly, making a used one very appealing... but my wife kept that from happening...)

markcoop wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:38 pm I am in the market for a car. Have 2 kids in college and 1 in high school. We also like to do outdoor stuff like bike. The car that's being replace is a Honda Odyssey where we were able to fit both bikes in the car standing up (I also have bike racks). So, looking to get the smallest car where I could put 2 bikes in it. I think such a car would also be fine bringing my kids to/from college.

Over the weekend looked at 3 cars: Honda CRV, Toyota Rav 4, Mazda CX5. For the price, I decided the Honda CRV was the best car for me (I did not check out if my bikes will fit in it (I know they will taking the front tire off but would love it if they fit with the tires on; they are not huge bikes). So, for around $30K all told, I can get the EX level which has a whole bunch of options I like.

I was speaking to a friend last night and he suggested for $30K, I can get an awesome lightly used SUV (2-3 years old, under 30K miles). I did some quick looks and did see some (Audi, Volvo, BMW and some others).

I was wondering what Bogleheads thought at this price range what is the better car to get - new Honda CRV or 2-3 yr old premium SUV? What's nice about a new car is all the new latest technology. But a 2-3 yr old premium car could be very nice too.

Thoughts?

Thanks for any input.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

Alexa9 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:10 pm The Honda Pilot has a lot of room with two rows folded down. The CR-V is a hot vehicle right now so you can get a Pilot for not much more. Toyota Highlander is also a good choice. Honda/Toyota are reliable and long lasting so you don't save much used with their resale value.
This.

CR-V seems to be flavor of the week. I'm leasing a 2015 for $220 a month. I wanted to buy or lease a second CR-V and went back to the same dealership. Same trim level and mileage allowance was over $400 to lease. $500 to finance. The pilot was a better deal, though not much cheaper. The Chevrolet Traverse was being updated for the coming year and leasing around $120/month. Equinox $169. I got an AWD loaded Equinox for $220.

kjvm.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

DocSleepy72 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:02 pmI got a trailer hitch and bought a nice Thule four-bike rack. Works great.
Same here, and well worth the investment. Installed the hitch myself (6 bolts, very easy). Check out your car first to see if it requires lots of disassembly if you go DIY. And I found it easier to use the rack than the back of the Odyssey.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I've had 4 bikes on a hitch rack on a Honda CR-X. Buy the car that works and throw a trailer hitch and hitch rack on it.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

markcoop wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:38 pmI was wondering what Bogleheads thought at this price range what is the better car to get - new Honda CRV or 2-3 yr old premium SUV? What's nice about a new car is all the new latest technology. But a 2-3 yr old premium car could be very nice too.
I buy Lexus RXs for under $30K and drive them into the ground. What is new tech in a Honda is old tech in a Lexus.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
CppCoder

Post by CppCoder »

We've owned a Civic, an Accord, a CR-V, and an Odyssey. Maybe you want a smaller vehicle, or maybe your Odyssey is ready for the great parking lot in the sky, but In my opinion, the CR-V is a big downgrade from the Odyssey. For whatever reason, I was just never able to get comfortable in the CR-V. The seat always hurt my back. You can haul a surprisingly large amount of junk in a CR-V, but nothing in comparison to the Odyssey. If I recall correctly, I needed to lay my bike down in the back of the CR-V with the back seats down. The only way to get two in would be to stack them.

If you have the itch to go luxury, I would echo the other posters and stay away from the German vehicles. Acura and Lexus both make comfortable, reliable crossovers.
CppCoder

Post by CppCoder »

livesoft wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:39 pm
markcoop wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:38 pmI was wondering what Bogleheads thought at this price range what is the better car to get - new Honda CRV or 2-3 yr old premium SUV? What's nice about a new car is all the new latest technology. But a 2-3 yr old premium car could be very nice too.
I buy Lexus RXs for under $30K and drive them into the ground. What is new tech in a Honda is old tech in a Lexus.
More precisely, what is new tech in a Honda is old tech in an Acura. Toyotas get the old Lexus tech :wink:.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Honda owner, may be biased. :mrgreen:
Owned 2 Crvs.
Get the Crv loaded.
You will be pleased
Buy New.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz »

deleted
Last edited by weltschmerz on Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

What year is the Odyssey? Why not keep the Odyssey? Sounds like you could use an extra car anyway. Might put off the cargo carrying requirements for some time, and you can choose other vehicles if they're more suitable, like an Accord.

viewtopic.php?t=123286

And since you mentioned outdoor stuff, then you must consider the Subaru Outback. EyeSight has been out a few years, but you won't find many used ones on sale with it, since the owners tend to keep them a long time.
Buster65

Post by Buster65 »

I personally can drive any car within reason.....(i.e. $100,000 Mercedes or BMW) and truthfully it will not change my life one bit. I've owned two Audi's, an MDX and several Honda's over the years. I sold my A6 back in 2005 and replaced it with a Honda CR-V and for three straight years I was all smiles every time I got into that car. I get that it wasn't luxurious but it held my bike easily, I liked being slightly high up on the road and it was so reliable and cheap to fix. That car remains in the family as my son now drives it. And for what ever its worth a new top of the line CR-V is now kind of luxurious.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Buster65 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:39 pm I personally can drive any car within reason.....(i.e. $100,000 Mercedes or BMW) and truthfully it will not change my life one bit. I've owned two Audi's, an MDX and several Honda's over the years. I sold my A6 back in 2005 and replaced it with a Honda CR-V and for three straight years I was all smiles every time I got into that car. I get that it wasn't luxurious but it held my bike easily, I liked being slightly high up on the road and it was so reliable and cheap to fix. That car remains in the family as my son now drives it. And for what ever its worth a new top of the line CR-V is now kind of luxurious.
Good comment. Being in a relationship with a non-Boglehead previously, I have driven the gambit of cars. I have driven mid-level Lexuses to the highest end Audis (including my own cheapo cars). Though I enjoyed the higher end cars, I don't think the cost justifies them. I also think the gap has shrunk in newer models. Newer models of mid level cars are very reliable, more quiet, and have more features than they ever have.
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

shawndoggy wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:49 pm Nothing beats an odyssey for hauling bikes inside. Not even a full sized SUV.
Agree, I love my Odyssey for hauling bikes especially on vacation. They are protected from the elements and more secure when stopping to shop or overnight at a motel. I also like that I can roll my tandem in without removing the wheels.

My Odyssey is over ten years old and is showing some rust around the wheel wells etc. It only has 100,000 miles so it is mechanically sound. If it wasn't for biking I do not really need a van any more. It was nice for hauling kids back and forth to college but those days are behind me. I am not at all sure what I will do when I need to replace it.
Topic Author
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

weltschmerz wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:05 pm
markcoop wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:38 pm Over the weekend looked at 3 cars: Honda CRV, Toyota Rav 4, Mazda CX5. For the price, I decided the Honda CRV was the best car for me
Can you explain this? I have been watching a lot of car reviews, and they all come to the conclusion that the Mazda is next-level, way above the Honda and Toyota. They recently added like 100 pounds of sound insulation to the Mazda CX-5, and the interior is supposed to be very nicely done. Any reasons you did not find the Mazda to be superior?
I liked the CX-5 alot. It also was the smallest among the 3 cars. For the same money, you get more in a CRV. The CX-5 Touring was closest to the CRV EX. The CX-5 Touring was about the same price but had less stuff (I may not have this 100% correct, but pretty close) - Moonroof, better gas mileage, remote engine start, fog lights, better screen stuff (apple and android play) and some extra safety features. The CRV also moved the shifter away from in-between the seats onto the middle of the dashboard. Not sure I love the look there, but it does give you lots of extra room.
Mark
Topic Author
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

Thanks for all the replies. Some points:

1) I think I'm going to keep the Odyssey to have as a third car. I will use it when the kids are home. Will use it for bikes. I actually fit 2 10.5 kayaks in it. Just for that I want to keep it. Honda offered me $1,800 for it - 2007 with 160K on it. Body has some issues and something in the exhaust system is making noise (not the heat shield). Mazda offered $3,000. I do think I need that 3rd car.

2) I have seen two bikes fit in the CRV without the front wheels standing up. I also had a hitch of the Odyssey and a Thule 5 bike rack. So may install a hitch too. It really is easier in the car. We like to go out to eat after a long ride and love having the bikes locked in the car.

3) I have never been a big car person. Never bought a new car for myself.

4) The Toyota dealer was the funniest. I have never seen a salesperson not get the customer as much as this guy. I am definitely looking for the best deal (a true boglehead). He asked me which car I liked. I told him can he give me prices for the 3 different trims I liked. He said to tell him what I liked. I said the price is a factor in the decision. I swear, he could not understand that point. Then he asked me how much I can afford and what kind of financing I was looking for. I will finance at the right rate. After going back and forth, again he could not understand I just want the best deal and want to know all the options to determine that.
Mark
CULater

Post by CULater »

Shopped vehicles for 4-5 years before springing for a 2017 CRV Touring when they came out. For $10K less, it has all the goodies of the current gen RDX, and matches the ride and quietness and the interior is just about as good too. Better infotainment system than the wacky dual-screen one in the RDX. I hated the fact that the RDX only has a spare tire as an option. You'll have to wait for the 2019 RDX to catch up, but that one will have a 2.0 turbo-4 instead of the V-6 and a weird push-button transmission shifter. Not sure that one fits the bill either.
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
msi

Post by msi »

livesoft wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:39 pm
Have you found the maintenance costs substantially higher when they do need work? I have an Acura now, thinking about jumping ship to Lexus when this dies.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

A couple of things:

My wife just sold her 2013 Acura RDX. The vehicle was bulletproof and had such a better engine (V6) then all the small SUV's have today. The only negative on it was that being 5 years old, the tech was becoming a little outdated. What's sad is that her VW Tiguan with 190hp 4cyl only gets about 2 mpg better than her 280hp V6 and sounds so much worse. The one downside of the RDX is that it required premium. We love Honda/Acura and I've had about every model they've made in the last 20 years.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm a car nut and waste too much on cars. With that said, I always try to pick up a 2-3 year old CPO luxury car. For example, 4 years ago(2014) I bought a 2011 Infiniti M56x that was 3 years old and had 18k miles. This had a 420hp V8 with every option under the sun. The original sticker was over $70k and I got it for 1/2 that amount. I don't worry about reliability with Acura, Infiniti, and Lexus plus I was covered for 4 years. So my choice with $35k was to either get something like a loaded 2013 Camry, Accord, etc or get a true luxury sedan that's barely broke in. Really the only thing expensive on the Infiniti was my yearly registration, which in Iowa is based on the original price. I can tell you that in the 4 years that I had it, I knew I made the right choice. I month ago I traded that car in on a 2015 BMW m235i. I know that I'm taking a risk on this car but really liked the car and research along with CR tells me that they are very reliable. We'll see how that goes. I buy these cars knowing that I won't keep them for over 5 years.

Now if I was buying for 10+ years/100k miles, I would buy a new Accord, CRV, Camry, etc and just drive it until the wheels fall off. These cars don't lose enough value IMO the first couple of years to justify a used purchase. Other good news is that Honda Accord sales have plummeted this year and you may be able to pick up a deal.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

msi wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:08 am
livesoft wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:39 pmI buy Lexus RXs for under $30K and drive them into the ground. What is new tech in a Honda is old tech in a Lexus.
Have you found the maintenance costs substantially higher when they do need work? I have an Acura now, thinking about jumping ship to Lexus when this dies.
I drive them into the ground, so I don't do the recommended scheduled maintenance on them. For my 2011, I have only had the oil changed 3 times in the 3+ years that I have owned it and bought new tires. For the 2001, I went over 2 years without even changing the oil,
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

markcoop wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:30 pm
markcoop wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:38 pm Over the weekend looked at 3 cars: Honda CRV, Toyota Rav 4, Mazda CX5. For the price, I decided the Honda CRV was the best car for me
Can you explain this? I have been watching a lot of car reviews, and they all come to the conclusion that the Mazda is next-level, way above the Honda and Toyota. They recently added like 100 pounds of sound insulation to the Mazda CX-5, and the interior is supposed to be very nicely done. Any reasons you did not find the Mazda to be superior?
I liked the CX-5 alot. It also was the smallest among the 3 cars. For the same money, you get more in a CRV. The CX-5 Touring was closest to the CRV EX. The CX-5 Touring was about the same price but had less stuff (I may not have this 100% correct, but pretty close) - Moonroof, better gas mileage, remote engine start, fog lights, better screen stuff (apple and android play) and some extra safety features. The CRV also moved the shifter away from in-between the seats onto the middle of the dashboard. Not sure I love the look there, but it does give you lots of extra room.
Were you comparing sticker price or actual price? Mazda tends to discount more than Honda.
Topic Author
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:34 am
Were you comparing sticker price or actual price? Mazda tends to discount more than Honda.
I compared the actual price they gave me before any negotiating by myself.
Mark
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

markcoop wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:10 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:34 am
I compared the actual price they gave me before any negotiating by myself.
When I looked on Truecar, the sticker and average market prices for the CR-V are around $3k higher than the CX-5. I used the top of the line for both vehicles. I wanted to see what the best offers were, but don't want dealers contacting me. I expect that would show even a bigger difference. You could argue the CR-V has options the CX-5 doesn't (like turbo).
boglewill34

Post by boglewill34 »

+another on avoiding a used European luxury car, get the Honda. You will find a death of a thousand cuts with even a good Euro car, stuff like window motors going dead, windows off tracks, sunroof getting stuck, interior trim degrading, etc. You should find no such problems on the Honda, and major systems like engines and transmissions will also last longer.
shawndoggy

Post by shawndoggy »

livesoft wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:51 am I drive them into the ground, so I don't do the recommended scheduled maintenance on them. For my 2011, I have only had the oil changed 3 times in the 3+ years that I have owned it and bought new tires. For the 2001, I went over 2 years without even changing the oil,
Huh? You drive them into the ground so you also maintain them poorly? Are you trying to drive them into the ground ASAP?
SeaToTheBay

Post by SeaToTheBay »

weltschmerz wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:05 pm Can you explain this? I have been watching a lot of car reviews, and they all come to the conclusion that the Mazda is next-level, way above the Honda and Toyota. They recently added like 100 pounds of sound insulation to the Mazda CX-5, and the interior is supposed to be very nicely done. Any reasons you did not find the Mazda to be superior?
Really? They're both good cars (top in class) but the CR-V is usually given the edge.

-CR-V vs. CX-5... CR-V wins: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda/cr ... on-review/
-CR-V won Motor Trend 2018 SUV of the Year, CX-5 wasn't even a Finalist (CR-V also won in 2015)
-CR-V one of Car & Driver's 10Best SUVs, CX-5 isn't: https://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/a ... pictures#4
livesoft wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:51 am I drive them into the ground, so I don't do the recommended scheduled maintenance on them. For my 2011, I have only had the oil changed 3 times in the 3+ years that I have owned it and bought new tires. For the 2001, I went over 2 years without even changing the oil,
Can you explain this rationale to me? If you are the only one who is going to own it, why would you neglect it? That's like saying, "I only have one body, so I'm not going to see the doctor." How many miles did you drive during these oil change intervals? With any car, you should change the oil at least once a year and that's if you don't drive a lot of miles.
CULater

Post by CULater »

That said, and being an owner of a 2017 CRV, there are some blips on the horizon for the 1.5 turbo engine that worry me. I haven't noticed either problem so far but I'll be keeping a close eye and ready to bail before the warranty runs out if either occurs.
CARCOMPLAINTS.COM NOTES: It's rare when a newer vehicle has defect trends, & the 2017 Honda CR-V has at least two — overfilled oil levels with a gas smell, & heat not working.
Both problems affecting the Honda CR-V's 1.5L "Earth Dreams" engine appear to be related to cold-climate regions.
CR-V owners report overfilled oil levels due to fuel in the oil, & sometimes a gas smell in the cabin. That problem appears to be related to fuel injection which Honda hopes to fix via a software update. Honda so far has only proposed a recall in China, & regulators there have rejected it because they don't think Honda's plan is sufficient.
CR-V owners also report no heat even after warming up their CR-Vs for 30 minutes — not even enough to defrost the windshield. So far, there has been no fix from Honda for this issue.
https://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/CR- ... erly.shtml
On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima »

Biking. Em. Why not a Subaru Outerback. Roof or hitch bike carrier will do. AWD and Roomy.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

SeaToTheBay wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:14 amCan you explain this rationale to me? If you are the only one who is going to own it, why would you neglect it?
I don't drive a lot of miles and the miles I do drive are mostly coasting. Our cars seem to last for 15-16 years.
pejp

Post by pejp »

My wife and I have a high enough HHI that we could afford a luxury vehicle, but I absolutely love my CR-V and would happily buy another one. We've got the 2015 EX-L, and it's great. Just coming up to 3 years, and the one issue we've had was needing to get the battery replaced after it stopped holding a charge. I really couldn't recommend it highly enough.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

Almost everyone in my cycling club drove CR-V because at least 1 bike would fit in without removing the wheel. I think some people were able to get 2 bikes in, but I don't know for sure. Its a great car

If you were to get a slightly older luxury alternative, the BMW X3 is the best option as far as performance and reliability, but you'd have to go with the 35i version. The 28i version uses a 4 cylinder engine which has a design flaw with the timing chain guard. Apparently this piece is plastic and has a tendency to snap causing engine failure. The 35i has an inline 6 which has proven extremely reliable as long as fluids are changed on schedule.

Not sure why all the negativity around these forums around German cars, if you buy the right model, reliability is high...you just need to know which ones to stay away from. I've had 3 German cars (all BMW) and the only mechanical problems I've had were an oil filter housing gasket that needed to be replaced (easy to DIY for $100 of material) and a transfer case that blew probably because it was weakened after being involved in an accident. Never had issues with window regulators or stuff sliding off tracks etc.

The Volvo is a nice vehicle but not as reliable as the X3. Audi has bland style and bland driving dynamics, but if you're happy with it, go for it.
Last edited by FireSekr on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeaToTheBay

Post by SeaToTheBay »

livesoft wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:09 pm I don't drive a lot of miles and the miles I do drive are mostly coasting. Our cars seem to last for 15-16 years.
Do you mean highway cruising? Hard to coast without first accelerating.

Oil and other fluids have a shelf life - they don't just degrade with miles.

15-16 years really isn't that long if you're not driving much. If you drive 8k miles/yr (I hope you don't drive more if you're changing oil not even once a year), that's only 120k-130k - any modern car should be capable of more than that without a major rebuild. My Honda S2000 sports car was 15 years old when I sold it, and I would take it to the race track all the time and beat on it hard, and it ran and looked brand new. But I maintained it well...

Oil changes are cheap. Likely under $100 for a Honda/Toyota/Lexus/name your everyday normal car and probably $30-40 if using non-synthetic (which would require more frequent oil changes, every 3-4k). $100/yr is $8.33/month.
researcher

Post by researcher »

SeaToTheBay wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:14 am Really? They're both good cars (top in class) but the CR-V is usually given the edge.
-CR-V one of Car & Driver's 10Best SUVs, CX-5 isn't: https://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/a ... pictures#4
This is outdated and inaccurate information.

For 2018, the Mazda CX-5 is on Car & Drivers 10Best list.

It was voted the Best Compact SUV, over the Honda CR-V.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/2 ... suv-page-4
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Yep, a good used or CPO Lexus/Infiniti/Acura is the best bang for the buck when buying a car I believe. And I would add Genesis to the list now.
(I like the extended warranty with them for peace of mind, but that's just me and a subject of much discussion here and on the car forums.)
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:04 pm I would not own a "premium" car of the likes of BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc. without a warranty (or extended warranty). They are quite expensive to fix and maintain. I would exclude Lexus/Acura from that list though as they are very reliable and not quite as pricey to fix/maintain.

I would go with the Honda. I have a CX-5 though and love it. I thought it was more sporty to drive and less cookie cutter/suburban than the Honda. But that is strictly my opinion.
For luxury European makes, I don't think the distinction between out of warranty and under warranty is quite as large as people make it out to be from a financial perspective. While you may have high repair bills with the out of warranty car, you are guaranteed high depreciation on an in-warranty car. Either way, it's a more expensive purchase than a non-luxury brand.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

If you want a European luxury car, go for it. A CPO is probably the most economical and least risky way to get into one.

But - if you're happy with the Honda to begin with, that car will treat you very well. Little maintenance required beyond what is scheduled whereas the German brands will have you visiting the dealer a lot more often. You can't go wrong with Honda from a reliability and value perspective. They make a good car.
Topic Author
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

Thanks for all the replies. Alot of interesting info to digest.

Another option I was looking at, if I go the CRV route, is to buy a new 2017 to save a few bucks. I see the two dealerships close to me have some in stock. From what I understand, the 2017 and 2018 are very similar cars. Anyone have thoughts about buying last years model at this point?
Mark