[Yahoo Finance no longer works - Alternatives to download securities quotes]

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
TimeRunner

Re: How to Get Stock Quotes Into Excel

Post by TimeRunner » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:23 pm

One Ping wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:22 pm
That last one's a killer ... :oops:
The Universe is telling you to switch to ETFs. :)
"What'd ya expect in an opera, a happy ending?" -Bugs Bunny

BolderBoy

Re: [Yahoo Finance no longer works - Alternatives to download securities quotes]

Post by BolderBoy » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:56 pm

For those of the GnuCash persuasion, obtaining financial quotes has been fixed. Follow these instructions: https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Wh ... ng_work.3F

In my GnuCash installation, I also updated the Finance::Quote perl module to the 1.47 version.

Not as fast as the Yahoo provider was, but at least this works (at least it works with Vanguard funds).
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

discman017

Post by discman017 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:42 pm

jhfenton wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:43 am
Once I had it working, I had two remaining problems: I couldn't get it to refresh without unloading and reloading the add-in, and the add-in wouldn't run properly on start-up until I unloaded and reloaded it.

Fix: Add code to my existing RefreshPage Macro (tied to "Refresh" buttons in a couple of places) to uninstall and reinstall the add-in. And add the same code to the Workbook_Open function which gets run automatically when you open a workbook.
Thank you so much for your code! Works fantastic. So much faster than a bunch of webservice calls.

The only part that I had to figure out was the "tied to 'Refresh' buttons in a couple of places," so I thought I'd add my code in case it helps people.

In the ThisWorkbook module:

Code: Select all

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Worksheet_Calculate
    Application.OnKey "{F9}", "Worksheet_Calculate"
End Sub
In a separate code module:

Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
    AddIns("Stock Market Functions Add-In").Installed = False
    AddIns("Stock Market Functions Add-In").Installed = True
    ActiveWorkbook.RefreshAll
    Application.CalculateFull
End Sub
It recalculates on workbook open, and I can also hit F9 to recalculate. Perfect! Again, thanks so much -- I just wanted to share how I hooked it up to F9, in case that helps anyone else.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:09 pm

discman017 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:42 pm
Thank you so much for your code! Works fantastic. So much faster than a bunch of webservice calls.
:sharebeer I'm glad it's working for you. I'm holding my breath waiting for it to break again. :confused

AnonJohn

Re: Excel Macro using Yahoo Finance- not working

Post by AnonJohn » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:58 pm

Seasonal wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:25 am
AnonJohn wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:11 am
To add to this. I built a set of python scripts that scrape (e.g.) Morningstar for information about TTM, ER, Yield, etc. Used Selenium, which is a bit more complicated. The catch, for me: Python functions for writing directly to excel don't support all of excel's features. In particular, they didn't play well with array functions. So scraping directly into excel wouldn't work for me. Instead my python scripts read from my main file, then write into an ancillary file (e.g. "Fund Data.xls"). My main tracking spreadsheet, on open, the has a macro that reads the ancillary file and puts data into the right spot. Kludge, but reliable. If you have a linux box to run cron jobs ... not sure how this would work in a windows only setup.
You could use win32com from pywin32 to control Excel. https://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin3 ... ild%20221/

That way you have access to all of Excel's functions.

What array functions are a problem?

Out of curiosity, what M* information requires Selenium? Just downloading a page and doing normal scraping seems to get all the usual data.
Hi Seasonal - sorry for the tardy reply to a good post!

Re: Array functions. IIRC the issue is not that it "loses" the functions after writing with openpyxl, but that, on next loading with excel, they are no longer automatically computed and you need to hit ctrl+shift+enter. But maybe I'm just mis-remembering. I do recall problems with macros and openpyxl.

For M*, there are probably ways around selenium, but I needed it to get 5-year standard deviations off the "ratings/risk" page. You need to execute a javascript click to go from the 3-year default to 5 years. In hindsight, I'm not so sure that data matters to me, but it seemed important at the time. :)

riversmt

Re: [Yahoo Finance no longer works - Alternatives to download securities quotes]

Post by riversmt » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:17 pm

OCRTECH posted a vba function MorningstarPrice("IBM"), This works great, you have a variable for "12-Mo. Yield", i'm wondering if you can provide other variables like change etc. or information on how to figure it out.

runner9

Post by runner9 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:27 pm

LK2012 wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:01 pm
jhfenton wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:43 am
LK2012 wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:25 pm
jhfenton wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:49 pm
I just switched TO the SMF Add-in. I had never used it until a week ago. The smfGetYahooPortfolioView still works to load prices and price changes (and ~90 other fields if you want), and works much faster than the ticker by ticker Excel webservice to Yahoo functions that I used to use.

The quirks of Excel and add-ins meant that I had to add a VB script that literally unloads and loads the add-in upon opening a spreadsheet and whenever I click the refresh button, but everything loads quickly.

And the Yahoo data is still more complete and up-to-date than any other source I've seen. I briefly used the Google Sheets/Google Finance work-around when the straight-up Yahoo Finance API disappeared, but the data was incomplete and delayed (especially mutual fund quotes).
Okay, you convinced me to revisit the SMF Add-In and try to figure out the smfGetYahooPortfolioView. I feel a bit behind because I took a day off and so much has happened in that time. Do you basically use the smfGetYahooPortfolioView to make a Master list to draw quotes from into your spreadsheet? I'm going to look at it tomorrow, and I'll be thrilled if it loads quickly and I can skip the copy/paste stuff from Yahoo.

(I don't know how to add a VB script but sounds intriguing - is that a necessary step? )
Yes, to your question. That is exactly how I use it.

You can use the SMF author's example spreadsheet to see how smfGetYahooPortfolioView works as an array formula. I added an extra Quotes sheet with my list of desired ETFs and mutual fund tickers down the left side (similar to his example). smfGetYahooPortfolioView pulls in the data. Then on my Holdings summary sheet, I use VLOOKUP to pull the data from the desired column for the desired ticker from the Quotes sheet. (I pull last price and daily change.) My Holdings sheet is the same as it used to be except that I previously used direct Yahoo API calls using the Excel WEBSERVICE function instead of VLOOKUP. Once everything was set up, I hid the Quotes sheet. I only need to unhide it to add new tickers.

Once I had it working, I had two remaining problems: I couldn't get it to refresh without unloading and reloading the add-in, and the add-in wouldn't run properly on start-up until I unloaded and reloaded it.

Fix: Add code to my existing RefreshPage Macro (tied to "Refresh" buttons in a couple of places) to uninstall and reinstall the add-in. And add the same code to the Workbook_Open function which gets run automatically when you open a workbook.

Now when I hit the refresh button everything flashes to #NAME? for a second and then back to updated numbers. It is literally about a second from click to update, much faster than 30+ separate WEBSERVICE calls.

Sub RefreshPage()
'
' RefreshPage Macro
'
End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
End Sub
I am pretty darn excited because I was able to get my Master list working with the new smfGetYahooPortfolioView method!

Thank you so much, I was getting frustrated, not sure I wanted to invest a lot of time if the end result was going to be a bust, but once you said it worked, I dove in. I always make a ridiculously stupid mistake at some point just setting up the Array for the first time, but got help from the great Randy H. at Yahoo Groups, and it is a beautiful thing to see those fields all fill in again!

Next, I will have to see if I have the unload/load problem with refreshing. I didn't have that problem with the RCH version. (If so, my next step will be learning how to create a macro).

Anyway, thanks again. I'm thrilled to get this working!
I'm lost. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm running Excel 2010.

I downloaded the 2017.11.30 Zip file from this link: https://smf-add-in.blogspot.ca/2017/11/ ... 71130.html

I installed the first one that came up in the Zip file, RCH_Stock_Market_Functions. When I go to File-->add-on it's there.
I put =smfGetYahooPortfolioView(VVIAX) into a cell and then pushed Control/Shift/Enter at the same time.
I get Name?
I can't get past that. I've tried Refresh All, tried starting all over, tried googling what an array is, tried everything and am still looking at Name? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

JustinR

Post by JustinR » Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:17 pm

runner9 wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:27 pm

I downloaded the 2017.11.30 Zip file from this link: https://smf-add-in.blogspot.ca/2017/11/ ... 71130.html

I installed the first one that came up in the Zip file, RCH_Stock_Market_Functions. When I go to File-->add-on it's there.
I put =smfGetYahooPortfolioView(VVIAX) into a cell and then pushed Control/Shift/Enter at the same time.
I get Name?
I can't get past that. I've tried Refresh All, tried starting all over, tried googling what an array is, tried everything and am still looking at Name? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Go to the SMF-Add-in folder in your C drive. Right click "RCH_Stock_Market_Functions.xla" and go to properties. At the bottom of the properties window there should be an "Unblock" button. Click that.

Now open the Excel sheet again and it should work.

If that doesn't work, try option #2 here: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/smf ... ages/30568

runner9

Post by runner9 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:33 pm

JustinR wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:17 pm
runner9 wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:27 pm

I get Name?
Go to the SMF-Add-in folder in your C drive. Right click "RCH_Stock_Market_Functions.xla" and go to properties. At the bottom of the properties window there should be an "Unblock" button. Click that.

Now open the Excel sheet again and it should work.

If that doesn't work, try option #2 here: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/smf ... ages/30568
Thanks. The add-on was sitting on my desktop and I was able to unblock it. That got me 2 dashed lines, which stayed even when updating data, restarting program, etc. I then tried your other suggestion. I moved the file into Program Files-->Microsoft Office-->Templates which was trusted. I had to readd the add-on since it's location changed which was no problem, but I still have 2 dashed lines. I think this is progress?

Indigo_Jon

Alternative to Download Quotes into LibreOffice

Post by Indigo_Jon » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 pm

Around November 1, as reported in this Forum, Yahoo stopped allowing its stock price download service to be used. Someone in the Forum posted instructions how to use GoogleSheets (GoogleFinance) and then link that data from within a LibreOffice sheet, That seems to work fine, with the exception that when the quotes are brought into LibrOffice from GoogleFinance, the font size is 10. I went back and edited the source sheet in GoogleSheets to Arial Bold 14, but still when the LibreOffice sheet updates, the font is back to 10. Any ideas how to fix this?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:02 pm

Welcome! I moved your post into the on-going discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Bylo Selhi

Re: Alternative to Download Quotes into LibreOffice

Post by Bylo Selhi » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:37 am

Indigo_Jon wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:26 pm
Someone in the Forum posted instructions how to use GoogleSheets (GoogleFinance) and then link that data from within a LibreOffice sheet
Several people contributed to that. I summarized the technique here.
Any ideas how to fix this?
I import quotes from GoogleSheets into a separate "NAV" sheet (or tab) in LibreOffice that I have just for this purpose. (I did this with the intent of centralizing all these imported values so they're easy to maintain.) Then I refer to the cells in the NAV tab whenever I need those values in other parts of my spreadsheet. When you do this you can format the target cells any way you want.

Indigo_Jon

Post by Indigo_Jon » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:10 pm

Thanks very much! I created a sheet named "Quotes" and then reference those cells as described.

The only problem I see is that, as others have mentioned, the fund NAV's aren't updated until quite a bit later than Yahoo updated them. I used to get the closing prices around 7PM (Eastern), but now it seems to be more like 10PM. But at least the process is automated once again.

Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Indigo_Jon wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:10 pm
The only problem I see is that, as others have mentioned, the fund NAV's aren't updated until quite a bit later than Yahoo updated them. I used to get the closing prices around 7PM (Eastern), but now it seems to be more like 10PM. But at least the process is automated once again.
I tried both this Google Finance method and setting up a watchlist on Yahoo Finance for export/copy/paste. For me, doing a little bit of manual intervention to get NAVs earlier won out over automation. At least so far.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:41 am

It looks like multiple threads were merged into one. Did anyone find a solution/replacement that works for LibreOffice, as opposed to Excel or Google sheets ?

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:32 am

madbrain wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:41 am
Did anyone find a solution/replacement that works for LibreOffice, as opposed to Excel or Google sheets ?
AFAIK you have to use GoogleSheets to inhale NAVs from Google Finance. That's a one-time setup until you change the portfolio composition. Everything else can be done in LibreOffice. See my 09Jan post for details.

madbrain

Re: Yahoo! Quote Not Working

Post by madbrain » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:30 pm

Bylo,
Bylo Selhi wrote:
Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:16 am
Some clarification to jhfenton's and oldcomputerguy's posts for anyone who wants to get quotes from GoogleFinance/GoogleSheets into LibreOffice.

Create a new Google Sheet spreadsheet...
• set up the spreadsheet with cells like =GOOGLEFINANCE("NYSEARCA:VTI","price")
• highlight the cells you want to link into LibreOffice
• File -> Publish to the Web...
• select Link, Sheet1 and Webpage [not CSV]
• copy the URL to your clipboard

Now in your LibreOffice spreadsheet...
• paste published URL from Google Sheets
• delete all the text starting from "?" so that the URL ends in "pubhtml"
• press Enter
So far, so good, but at that point, all that happens is that the cell in Libreoffice is a text field that contains the URL - not sure what that is supposed to accomplish. And the URL from google sheets appears to be for the whole sheet AFAIK, not to a specific cell, also, so how is that supposed to work if the sheet contains quotes for many securities ?
• use default Options
• select HTML_all
• check Update every 60 seconds
• OK
I don't get prompted for any of these after I press enter. There must be something missing from your procedure. I'm using libreoffice 5.4.4.2 .

venkman

Post by venkman » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:32 pm

madbrain wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:30 pm
• use default Options
• select HTML_all
• OK
I don't get prompted for any of these after I press enter. There must be something missing from your procedure. I'm using libreoffice 5.4.4.2 .

Go under "Sheet" in the Calc menu, and select "Link to External Data." Paste the URL into the first box and hit Enter, and you should get the options listed above.

siamond

Re: Download quotes to excel spreadsheet

Post by siamond » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:31 am

AlohaJoe wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:45 pm
You could sign up to a service like EODData -- http://eoddata.com/products/default.aspx. Most of those kinds of services are targeted at traders and institutions that are willing to pay money. NASDAQ offers a Data On Demand service that starts at $2,400 a month. If you dig you might find some others that offer a free version like EODData does, though.
Thanks for the EODData pointer.

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:35 am

madbrain wrote:
So far, so good, but at that point, all that happens is that the cell in Libreoffice is a text field that contains the URL - not sure what that is supposed to accomplish. And the URL from google sheets appears to be for the whole sheet AFAIK, not to a specific cell, also, so how is that supposed to work if the sheet contains quotes for many securities ?
• use default Options
• select HTML_all
• OK
In the Google spreadsheet, select the rectangle that covers all the cells you want to appear in LibreOffice using the link. Then publish that. This can contain as many quotes as you like as well as any other data besides just the NAVs. For instance I use something like:

Symbol 		Function
	NYSEARCA:VTI	=GOOGLEFINANCE($A1,"price")
	NYSEARCA:BND	=GOOGLEFINANCE($A2,"price")
	...			...
My apologies for omitting the Sheet->Link to External Data step. My thanks to venkman for making the correction. I've updated the previously-linked post to reflect this.

siamond

Post by siamond » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:53 pm

Leif wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:28 pm
np81 wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:09 am
The WEBSERVICE function is only available in Excel 2013 and later, so that's your issue.
Thanks for that note. I have Excel 2011 (Mac Version) and I was having the same issue so I gave up on that path. I've reprogramed to use Google Sheets. That works fine, but a bit annoying, to have a one day delay for my fund quotes
There is a solution specific to Excel/Mac/2011. See the concept of Web query. Why do we have to go through a text file to store the URL is beyond me, but it works.

Leif

Post by Leif » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:53 pm

siamond wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:53 pm
There is a solution specific to Excel/Mac/2011. See the concept of Web query. Why do we have to go through a text file to store the URL is beyond me, but it works.
I investigated a web query, but it seemed like way too many steps. If it is not simple and easy I will not do it. I programmed it in Excel VBA. I click a button daily and it populates my spreadsheet with yesterday's prices. No text file for URL required. I did not need to make much of a change from the yahoo quotes, except now I also need to maintain a spreadsheet of symbols in Google sheets. I need to add any new symbols. But, that rarely happens. Under yahoo I could just pass a list of symbols, in the call, that was extracted by my program.

madbrain

Post by madbrain » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:28 pm

venkman wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:32 pm
madbrain wrote:
• use default Options
• select HTML_all
• OK

Go under "Sheet" in the Calc menu, and select "Link to External Data." Paste the URL into the first box and hit Enter, and you should get the options listed above.
Thanks, that worked !

pondering

Post by pondering » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:09 am

--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

at

Post by at » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:41 am

I use the Yahoo Finance watch list and then copy-and-paste into MS Excel method. The main problem now is that my Yahoo list has 20 rows that keep track of ETFs and benchmark indices, so highlighting them can be quite a bit of an acrobatic job.

Today, I streamlined the process a bit. I'm using Chrome and downloaded the "Copytable" Chrome plugin. I configured ctrl-x to be the hotkey to highlight the Yahoo page ticker table. Now, I can select the ticker table by pressing ctrl-x (without the mouse) and then paste into Excel. It's pretty cool since ctrl-x (select table in Chrome), ctrl-c (copy table) and ctrl-v (paste) are beside each other.

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:57 am

I use Apple Numbers and one of the latest updates (well, a few months ago) changed from auto-filling cells with real-time quotes to close of market quotes from yesterday. Yeah, completely useless.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:25 pm

at wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:41 am
I use the Yahoo Finance watch list and then copy-and-paste into MS Excel method. The main problem now is that my Yahoo list has 20 rows that keep track of ETFs and benchmark indices, so highlighting them can be quite a bit of an acrobatic job.
Remember we can use the <shift> key method to mark/copy long sections of text.
--Click mouse to mark/highlight the top-left corner of the needed text. Release mouse button.
--PageDown/End/scroll to reposition mouse cursor past right end of bottom-right corner of needed text.
--Press <shift> and click mouse button to mark whole text.
--Then <ctrl-c> as normal.

After I remembered this method, it cut out the acrobatics required to update my Excel.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

at

Post by at » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:27 pm

dratkinson wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:25 pm
--Click mouse to mark/highlight the top-left corner of the needed text. Release mouse button.
--PageDown/End/scroll to reposition mouse cursor past right end of bottom-right corner of needed text.
What you perform is 4 steps. What I do is 2 steps (ctrl-x, ctrl-c). What's more, my 2 steps don't need me to reach for the mouse.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:35 pm

at wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:27 pm
dratkinson wrote:
What you perform is 4 steps. What I do is 2 steps (ctrl-x, ctrl-c). What's more, my 2 steps don't need me to reach for the mouse.
I completely agree, your new method is much simpler for copying one tables.

Was only pointing out the existence of the <shift> method which works with any large block of text or multiple tables. So can be used as a backup method for when your new method is inappropriate for the situation.

I should have been more clear.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

pondering

Post by pondering » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:52 pm

If you were trying to back up the webpage I recommend installing an archiver extension
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:57 pm

I was on Yahoo Finance today at midday. I did not have any issues.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

libralibra

Post by libralibra » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:04 pm

at wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:27 pm
dratkinson wrote:
Another way is to just triple-click in the margin to the left of the table of quotes. That highlights the whole table and you can ctrl-c it as before.

at

Post by at » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:19 pm

libralibra wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:04 pm
Another way is to just triple-click in the margin to the left of the table of quotes. That highlights the whole table and you can ctrl-c it as before.
Great! I don't need the Copytable Chrome plugin anymore.

KLDome

Post by KLDome » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:12 am

I tried to post about a related problem and have been shunted over here.

I'm looking for a work alike for Google Finance comparison line charts. They have recently revised (ruined?) the service whereas I could previously overlay several charts, not just two, even whole portfolios. It was quick and simple to just enter ticker or portfolio names. I'd rather not try to fiddle with Excel macros etc. PC and/or Android would be great.

NYC_HDL

Post by NYC_HDL » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:22 am

I've been searching for an alternative to Yahoo Finance for almost a year, and just now discovered this Thread... It contains some great information, and I have tried a number of the solutions posted here, but so far, none seem to be able to replace what I was previously using:

A simple Excel 2010 function that looks like this: =StockQuote(SYMBOL, DATE) where "SYMBOL" is the stock ticker, and "DATE" is the desired date for a closing price (if Market was closed on this date, then return the previous Closing Price)...

I would be most appreciative of any suggestions for a solution. I don't need a table of stock data, just the ability to use a function similar the the one above in about a half-dozen places in my spreadsheet. (I suppose I could use a table with dates across the top and stock tickers down one side, then use a lookup function to get the prices I need... I just want the simplest solution possible :? )

My thanks in advance for any suggestions!

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:15 pm

NYC_HDL wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:22 am
I've been searching for an alternative to Yahoo Finance for almost a year, and just now discovered this Thread... It contains some great information, and I have tried a number of the solutions posted here, but so far, none seem to be able to replace what I was previously using:

A simple Excel 2010 function that looks like this: =StockQuote(SYMBOL, DATE) where "SYMBOL" is the stock ticker, and "DATE" is the desired date for a closing price (if Market was closed on this date, then return the previous Closing Price)...

I would be most appreciative of any suggestions for a solution. I don't need a table of stock data, just the ability to use a function similar the the one above in about a half-dozen places in my spreadsheet. (I suppose I could use a table with dates across the top and stock tickers down one side, then use a lookup function to get the prices I need... I just want the simplest solution possible :? )

My thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Yahoo finance add-on still works fine, I use it all the time. You just need to update to latest version and use different function name, detail are in the thread above. So, unless you are trying to switch away from Excel, you don't need to solve this problem.

peter_s

Post by peter_s » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:49 pm

I have a perl program which uses the cpan module Finance::QuoteHist which has worked well for me without any interruptions that I am aware of. Happy to share it if interested. Let me know.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:28 pm

Can you upload it somewhere and post a link? We can add it to this wiki article: Using open source software for portfolio analysis
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.