Quicken Premier 5-year subscription $0 (free) on quicken website

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
azanon

Re: Quicken Premier 5-year subscription $0 (free) on quicken website

Post by azanon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:39 am

CardinalRule wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:43 am
I do not see why it would matter. Quicken 2016 is not a subscription product, and Quicken’s Discontinuation Policy does not change.

[url][https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken ... policy/url]
azanon wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:06 pm
Dazed&Confused wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:07 pm
Uninstalled the 2018 and restored my 2016 version that expires in May of 2019. However, on my account it shows it expiring April 6 ,2018. So Ill have to work with customer support to get my expiration date restored. BTW, restored 2016 from a CD but then had to overwrite the Quicken Folder from a backup to get to work.
I'm suspicious this was intentional. I also had 2016 with about a year left, and now based on your experience, i see the headache that is facing me; my data file being unusable on 2016 and getting my original expiration date restored back to one year.

Further, what better sneaky way to try to get someone to try a new product than to "mistakenly" give out a link to a free 5 year software deal, only to pull it back to 60 days. I honestly wouldn't have even bothered to test it solely for 60 days if I was going to have the headache of my 2016 file being messed up. But now that I see that I actually like the new one, I'll probably end up buying it. Basically, they make out like bandits with this "mistake".
You don't see why what would matter? Quicken 2016 software comes with 3 years of use, so it has a defined beginning and end, and that time-frame was altered by the 2018 software installation.

masterofinvesting

Post by masterofinvesting » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:26 am

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:44 pm
In my 3-day experience with Quicken, the feature I found very useful (and the only one I need) is the ability to download data from multiple brokerages automatically, and get a full view of my asset allocation.

Is it possible to do what with GnuCash ? I can tweak download scripts to get files from brokerages, but I was wondering more about assigning assets to classes largely automatically (as Quicken does based on MF or ETF data), and generating reports. I am tech savvy enough to write supporting scripts, but would prefer not to do a custom build of the application itself.
Unfortunately, automatic downloads is the one place where Quicken shines, but depending on the institutions where you have accounts, you may be in luck. As long as your bank/broker supports OFX protocol (you can search for this in http://www.ofxhome.com/), then you can use the internal GNUCash mechanism to auto download and import the transactions (Vanguard, Fidelity, Chase, BoA all support OFX protocol). In my experience, I found that the auto-categorization of transactions in GNUCash far superior to that of Quicken (which kept guessing the category wrong most of the time).

For assigning asset class to MFs, are you looking for something similar to
Morningstar X-ray
? If so, and if you don't have too many MFs, you can consider using the Mornigstar website to generate the X-ray report when you need it.

Finally, if you are tech-savvy, note that GNUCash has a powerful reporting mechanism that can be fully automated to generate any kind of custom reports - you just need to learn the Scheme programming language. You can find more about it here: https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Custom_Reports.

If Scheme isn't your cup of tea, there are other tools like Ledger-CLI that can parse the GNUCash data file (just plain text XML) and extract any data you need to generate custom reports yourself.

Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:44 am

CardinalRule wrote:
I do not see why it would matter. Quicken 2016 is not a subscription product, and Quicken’s Discontinuation Policy does not change.
In the past Quicken/Intuit made minor changes to data file format during the installation/conversion process of every year's version. This made it impossible to use those files with previous years' versions of Quicken. (Some alleged that they did this intentionally.)

So if you've installed Q18 and want to go back to Q16 or earlier, you'd better have a backup of data files from that earlier version. Then you'd need to manually add transactions and other data for the intervening period.

(I read somewhere that Quicken didn't change data file formats between Q17 and Q18, so that may be an exception.)

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:54 am

Yes, it has a defined end, and I seriously doubt that this has been "altered." Everyone's copy of Quicken 2016 (Windows and Mac, US), regardless of where it was purchased, loses support as of the same date, in April 2019. (It does not matter when the product was purchased, and so there is no defined "beginning" for each user, per se.)

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken ... ion-policy
azanon wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:39 am
CardinalRule wrote:
You don't see why what would matter? Quicken 2016 software comes with 3 years of use, so it has a defined beginning and end, and that time-frame was altered by the 2018 software installation.

stl717

Post by stl717 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:00 pm

Well It's now 40% off thru the weekend it looks like. I'm going to go ahead and subscribe for a year I think, having my wife start a budget has already saved me more than a year's subscription cost. I would go to Moneydance, but I don't think it will automatically pull from my Credit Union.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:27 pm

stl717 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:00 pm
Well It's now 40% off thru the weekend it looks like. I'm going to go ahead and subscribe for a year I think, having my wife start a budget has already saved me more than a year's subscription cost. I would go to Moneydance, but I don't think it will automatically pull from my Credit Union.
Are you trust them come Monday they will not say this was a mistake price not meant for the public and reduce your subscription to 2 months?
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

gundlached

Post by gundlached » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:24 pm

SimonJester wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:27 pm
stl717 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:00 pm
Are you trust them come Monday they will not say this was a mistake price not meant for the public and reduce your subscription to 2 months?
Ha!

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:50 am

Thanks for the heads up, took the deal. :beer

ywallet

Post by ywallet » Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:28 pm

FYI - Quicken Deluxe 2018 2 year subscription is 39.99 on newegg with promo code EMCPSPV44 + tax

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6832118005

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:41 pm

ywallet wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:28 pm
FYI - Quicken Deluxe 2018 2 year subscription is 39.99 on newegg with promo code EMCPSPV44 + tax

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6832118005
Premier is $59.99 for 2 years using promo code EMCPSPV45. Seems the extra $10/year for tracking investments and bill pay (if your bank doesn't already offer it for free) might be worth it.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:47 am

Received this email yesterday, two months after the 5-year, free subscription saga on this forum. In my case, I never actually used Quicken 2018 after "buying" the erroneous offer. Online services under my standalone Quicken 2017 Premier are unaffected by this expiration, as I expected.

Your Quicken membership has expired as of 4/5/2018. Connected services have been turned off. However, you will always have access to your financial data.

To reinstate your Quicken Premier membership, please visit My Account.

If you have other questions or need additional help, please contact support.

Thank you,
The Quicken Team

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:25 am

Got the same email. Never used it.