Cruising to Bermuda in May...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Lemonaid56

Cruising to Bermuda in May...

Post by Lemonaid56 »

has anyone else been there recently?
I did a search and most posts were from before '17.
We are going to be there a few days and was just wondering what we should definitely see or not waste my time on.
How safe did you feel?
My wife is looking at non-ship related tours and using the bus instead of taxis. We were hoping to get a general tour of the island and maybe a good beach with some snorkeling. Usually she finds a resort that sells day passes and we spend time there but she is not seeming to find any this time.
Thanks for your input.
ResearchMed

Re: Cruising to Bermuda in May...

Post by ResearchMed »

Lemonaid56 wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:48 pm has anyone else been there recently?
I did a search and most posts were from before '17.
We are going to be there a few days and was just wondering what we should definitely see or not waste my time on.
How safe did you feel?
My wife is looking at non-ship related tours and using the bus instead of taxis. We were hoping to get a general tour of the island and maybe a good beach with some snorkeling. Usually she finds a resort that sells day passes and we spend time there but she is not seeming to find any this time.
Thanks for your input.
Take a look at www.CruiseCritic.com

First, the Ports of Call, for suggestions about Bermuda.
Also look at your own cruiseline, and then also at your Roll Call, where others may be discussing just this, or even getting together to go someplace...

Enjoy!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Green Nut

Post by Green Nut »

You'll probably be docked in Dockyard, the West End. Bus passes are usually available at the ferry terminal. Good island tour idea is to familiarize yourself with a good Bermuda map and take the bus around the island to the St George area and ferry back. Snorkeling is good at Church Bay, there is a bus stop for it. Coco Reef/Elbow Beach Resort usually have rental "beach day" packages.

Things I'd stay away from would be the zoo, the aquarium, and the caves. But that's me. List some things you like to do on hot island vacations and I might be able to help a bit more.

Safe, yes its very safe.

We're headed to BDA for our 9th trip this July, can't get enough of the place!! We stay on the island, cruises are there long enough for us.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Not recently - but we went on two cruises to bermuda. The second time, my wife figured out going on the nice bus system to the beach one day. The ship docked at the dockyard and there is a water taxi over to Hamilton.

One year, the cruise was in May
Liberty1100

Post by Liberty1100 »

I was in Bermuda last May. It was really nice. I don't recommend taking the bus. They are not frequent so you may have to wait a while for them. Everyone on the cruise tries to take the bus and you will be packed in with everyone all hot and sweaty with suntan lotion as a lubricant.

Take a van. They will have vans located at the port that can get you to and from all of the points of interest. My cruise ship had chartered a free ferry to go all the way to St. George. That was nice and a different kind of place to walk around for a couple of hours.

The sand of their famous Horseshoe bay isn't very pink anymore, but it is still THE beach to go to.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Liberty1100 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:17 am I was in Bermuda last May. It was really nice. I don't recommend taking the bus. They are not frequent so you may have to wait a while for them. Everyone on the cruise tries to take the bus and you will be packed in with everyone all hot and sweaty with suntan lotion as a lubricant.
Take a van. They will have vans located at the port that can get you to and from all of the points of interest. My cruise ship had chartered a free ferry to go all the way to St. George. That was nice and a different kind of place to walk around for a couple of hours.
The sand of their famous Horseshoe bay isn't very pink anymore, but it is still THE beach to go to.
The beaches on the south side are the nice ones.

My wife and I had good experiences with the bus.

The first cruise we took (smaller ship) went into St George and the second on (larger ship) doced at the Royal Dockyard.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

One big hazard in Bermuda is renting a scooter. You cannot rent a car there. The roads are very narrow (ditches next to most roads) and left hand drive. On our first cruise, two folks were injured. One (I think) had to be evacuated back to the states and another woman was absent from dinner for a day or two and then was there with crutches, cast on arm/leg - a real mess.
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

It's been a while but I'm guessing my experience will still be of value.

First, May in Bermuda is beautiful, probably the best time to go.

Older, smaller cruise ships used to visit three ports at the two ends and middle of the island. Now, they generally use only large ships which must dock only at the Royal Dockyard which is the least interesting of the three.

You can get a 3 day pass good on buses and ferries. The bus stops are marked (by color if I recall correctly) "to Hamilton" and outbound "away from Hamilton." They'll get you around ok but they make lots of stops and it can take a while to get from one place to another. Remember that this is a British-heritage country and they drive left, so be careful crossing the streets and (my advice) do not rent a scooter.

Interesting things I recall:
(1) My wife and I greatly enjoyed walking the railroad trail which runs across the entire Bermuda "chain." It is right down the spine, elevated in many places and pretty much "wild" in terms of native plants and scenery. It is a no-vehicle trail based on a defunct railroad path. It is a bit intermittent, so look it up and you can find access points you get to by bus and then hike.
(2) In addition to buses your three day pass is good for the water taxies. Hop on and off and walk around. It's beautiful and inexpensive as could be. You'll get beautiful seaside and harbor views and walks down lanes with pretty houses and flowers and gorgeous sunshine like the best of southern France.
(3) If you like a nature walk, take a bus to Spittal Pond. You can look it up on the Internet. A bus takes you close to it, ask the driver for help with the right stop,
(4) Downtown Hamilton is nice. Go for the British experience. Find an old-style lace shop and if there's a newborn or close to newborn baby anywhere on your radar screen buy a lace bonnet for the child. That shopping experience is a gas - - like being in a Dickens novel. Find a pub and down a draft.
(5) We went to the botanical gardens, but I do not remember much of anything about it.
(6) If you collect coins, check out the Bermuda Monetary Authority in Hamilton - - right near shops and a pub.
(7) We snorkeled once. I recall it being cold but certainly doable. We went on a cruise ship excursion, I do not believe you'll find snorkeling off of a beach. Speaking of beaches, definitely find one with pink sand to visit.

Hope this is helpful, have fun.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Now, they generally use only large ships which must dock only at the Royal Dockyard which is the least interesting of the three.
Yes - very true. With the smaller ships, it was also common that the same ship might visit BOTH St George and Hamilton.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Generally, Bermuda does not allow cruise ships there on weekends, with some exceptions. The second cruise we took (docked at Royal Dockyard) however was there on a weekend.
surveyor

Post by surveyor »

A short walk from St. George's is Tobacco Bay. We snorkeled there and it was enjoyable. Not sure about weather in May though.