Anyone heard of Blueprint Income?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Fitch

Anyone heard of Blueprint Income?

Post by Fitch »

I'm aware most people on this forum are not fans of annuities, except under certain circumstances. I'm still at the beginning of trying to understand this complex subject and weather or not it would be good for my situation, but I'm wondering if anyone has looked at this company and if they are really doing something different or if it's just marketing hype.

https://www.blueprintincome.com
WildCat48

Re: Anyone heard of Blueprint Income?

Post by WildCat48 »

hand

Post by hand »

Bloomberg mentioned in a recent article:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... t-of-money

Short version is that it is an annuity funded with small amounts periodically rather than a lump sum. Periodic contributions are hoped to be easier to stomach for the average consumer (e.g. Blue Apron, Netflix, Peloton) than a lump sum purchase.

This isn't where I'd start my journey of understanding annuities - first learn about the simple lump sum versions then once you're comfortable (or permanently turned off) try to understand the financials of an annuity you buy weekly or monthly.

Concept as a personal pension funded with each paycheck isn't terrible, but with the luxury of time and the backstop of Social Security, it seems that directly investing is probably a better path for most individuals. A periodic contribution seems especially difficult to evaluate whether fees are fair...
Topic Author
Fitch

Post by Fitch »

I think that article is where I started. Thanks for the input.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Fitch wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:10 pm I'm aware most people on this forum are not fans of annuities, except under certain circumstances. I'm still at the beginning of trying to understand this complex subject and weather or not it would be good for my situation, but I'm wondering if anyone has looked at this company and if they are really doing something different or if it's just marketing hype.

https://www.blueprintincome.com
Very nice website.
Appealing.
Compare here:
https://www.immediateannuities.com
Google the forum: "SPIA"
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Gill

Post by Gill »

This is an old thread, but I recently checked SPIA quotes on the Website of Blueprintincome and they were considerably better than Vanguard or Immediateannuities. The explanation seems to be that they receive a 1% commission whereas others are higher. Vanguard discloses its commission at 2%. Its worth a look for anyone interested in a SPIA.

Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Neat. Thanks for bumping the thread. That site has some options for getting annuity quotes that are better than immediateannuities.com
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

JoMoney wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:03 pm Neat. Thanks for bumping the thread. That site has some options for getting annuity quotes that are better than immediateannuities.com
What are the companies offering the annuities at blueprint. You can see the ratings of the various companies at immediateannuities.com.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Gill wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:54 pm This is an old thread, but I recently checked SPIA quotes on the Website of Blueprintincome and they were considerably better than Vanguard or Immediateannuities. The explanation seems to be that they receive a 1% commission whereas others are higher. Vanguard discloses its commission at 2%. Its worth a look for anyone interested in a SPIA.

Gill
Blueprint was slightly worse for me - quite strange. Onlytried an SPIA.
Gill

Post by Gill »

Dottie57 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:32 pm
JoMoney wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:03 pm Neat. Thanks for bumping the thread. That site has some options for getting annuity quotes that are better than immediateannuities.com
What are the companies offering the annuities at blueprint. You can see the ratings of the various companies at immediateannuities.com.
Blueprint shows all the ratings in their quotes. I believe they say they are only using companies with a Best rating of A or better.
Gill
Cost basis is redundant. One has a basis in an investment | One advises and gives advice | One should follow the principle of investing one's principal
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

Gill wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:50 pm
Blueprint shows all the ratings in their quotes. I believe they say they are only using companies with a Best rating of A or better.
Gill
All the MYGAs on the first page of the fixed annuities are B/B++.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I see the same thing you see on the webpage. It looks like you have to create an account to access some of the information.
What I like about the blueprint page, is that it also provides Fixed Term annuity quotes (you do see company names and ratings on that page).
You can also create a shareable link that includes the details of what was quoted based on specifics, on the immediateannuities.com site you can tell someone to go there, but they would have to type in all the same details to get the same quote/estimate.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
tj

Post by tj »

Blueprint Income has a retirement calculator that is fun to play with:

https://abaris-static-content.s3.amazon ... lator.xlsx
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Note - this is an old thread - from 2018.

The Bloomberg article quoted is out of date. Blueprint Income today is a seller of multi year guaranteed annuities (MYGAs) and SPIAs. In my view, those are the “good” annuities that many Bogleheads like.

I’ve personally bought a MYGA ladder (similar to a CD ladder, but with higher rates) through Blueprint. They have a first class website and selection of companies, and they provide good service.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

Another satisfied Blueprint Income customer (bought two MYGAs this year).
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
bog007

Post by bog007 »

Not insured by fdic in these pandemic times.
Don’t let anyone else ruin your portfolio. It’s your portfolio. Ruin it yourself!!!
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

bog007 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:29 am Not insured by fdic in these pandemic times.
Correct, FDIC insurance does not apply to these insurance products. They are protected by state insurance guarantees.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

bog007 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:29 am Not insured by fdic in these pandemic times.
They are covered by state insurance guaranty funds. In the highly unlikely event that one of my insurers is not able to perform on my MYGA, the guaranty fund will step in.

My MYGA ladder is earning about 2% more than a CD ladder would. I’m satisfied with the risk/reward trade off.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
tj

Post by tj »

Stinky wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:26 am
They are covered by state insurance guaranty funds. In the highly unlikely event that one of my insurers is not able to perform on my MYGA, the guaranty fund will step in.

My MYGA ladder is earning about 2% more than a CD ladder would. I’m satisfied with the risk/reward trade off.
How many years out do you go on your MYGA ladder?
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

tj wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:57 am
Stinky wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:26 am

How many years out do you go on your MYGA ladder?
My ladder through Blueprint goes out to 7 years.
Oilcans

Post by Oilcans »

I just bought three MYGA's at $100k's each. One for five years and the other two for two years. In fact I am still in the process of having them finalized and will be sending my checks to the individual companies next week.

So far in the process I have been very happy and have dealt with Michael for almost all of the process but did speak briefly with Matt Carey yesterday. Michael has returned calls and emails within a few minutes and has kept me updated throughout the process. Their web page is outstanding I think. But I did do a lot of research for both the MYGA's and Blueprint before I decided to move forward and I would suggest anyone else to do your homework to make sure it fits your needs.

Good luck.
rgs

Post by rgs »

Blueprint Income looks to be taking lot of personal info (including SSN) both on the applicant and the beneficiary. How safe is it to give this info out? Also I didn't see a provision for a 2FA for their login.

Any views? Thanks
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

rgs wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:33 pm Blueprint Income looks to be taking lot of personal info (including SSN) both on the applicant and the beneficiary. How safe is it to give this info out? Also I didn't see a provision for a 2FA for their login.

Any views? Thanks
Concerning personal info, Blueprint is acting as agent for the insurance companies, and the insurance companies require that information to issue the policy. I don’t know about Blueprints security - you could ask them.

On 2FA - once the policy is issued, all of the financial information is held by the insurance company once the policy is issued. Blueprint is no longer in the loop, and I don’t go to Blueprint site for financial info on my policies. I’ve found that all of the insurance companies that issued my MYGAs give me web access, and some of those have 2FA.
rgs

Post by rgs »

Thank you Stinky, that makes sense. I wonder if Blueprint keeps this data as well (in addition to sharing it with the insurance companies)