What bed did you get your toddler and how long did you use it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

What bed did you get your toddler and how long did you use it?

Post by ThankYouJack »

My toddler is out of her crib and currently sleeping on an old full-size mattress on the floor. My wife and I are planning to get her a new, more comfortable bed (probably full size). My wife is thinking that she'll have the mattress until she's 18 and wants to buy a nice organic $800 one. Seems pricey to me just for the mattress (not including a box spring or bed), but if we do use it for 16 years, I wouldn't mind spending that much.

Anyway, what did you do for your kids, how long did you keep it and any recommendations? My wife would prefer something all-natural / organic.
likegarden

Re: What bed did you get your toddler and how long did you use it?

Post by likegarden »

Our grandson lives with us, our house is too big for us alone. When he was a toddler we used a low side panel which came with his crib, and he slept in there probably until he went to preschool. Thereafter, we bought part of a bedroom set with a full size mattress. We were worried he would fall out of the bed and get hurt, so we never used the box spring, but instead used plywood inside the bed frame under the mattress. To make sure our now 12 years old darling would never fall out and hurt himself, I attached boards between the bedposts, certainly all sanded and covered with blankets. He sleeps well. I agree, mattresses are way overpriced.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

A mattress on the floor works fine for a toddler until they get to be about 26 years old.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
bpp

Post by bpp »

Our toddler slept on the same futon with us until about halfway through elementary school.

Now sleeps on own bed, in own bedroom. Forget what it cost, but way less than $800. Probably $200 or $300 at most.
guardianangel

Post by guardianangel »

Do not spend much on a mattress until the kid is older and will appreciate a good mattress - probably around 10-12 years old. Those early years they weigh too little for the firmness of the mattress to make any difference in their comfort. They also can have "accidents" like wetting the bed or vomiting in the middle of the night. They also cannot resist jumping on the bed. Stick with the twin mattress on the floor and then graduate to a frame and bedboard. When your child is older, have him or her help select the mattress size and firmness. He or she will appreciate and enjoy the upgrade and the mattress will last until they eventually move out.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

livesoft wrote:A mattress on the floor works fine for a toddler until they get to be about 26 years old.
Lol :D

Kids are not leaving home as early as they used to so the new guidance is that a mattress on the floor should be good into the mid-30's.

To the OP, our kids went from a crib to a basic twin mattress and box spring on a frame. When they hit their growth spurts around 14, we replaced the original twin mattresses with new full size ones which they are in now (and hopefully will NOT be in at age 26 but some days I wonder).
tony44

Post by tony44 »

We bought both of our kids decent quality platform beds, twin size. Both kids are grown now and those 2 beds are still in their respective rooms. They will grow into them but never really grow out of them unless the kid is really big. My son is 6'1" and 190 lbs. It is not an issue at all.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

My suggestion is to wait at least until potty training is over to purchase any new mattress. I agree replace when the child is older not now...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang »

Our daughter went directly from her crib to the full sized bed and mattress that I had used at my parents' house. When kids fall out of bed onto a carpeted floor they are so relaxed that they just wake up and wonder how they got there.

I never heard of an organic mattress. Is it stuffed with corn husks?
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

Our oldest was on crib mattress (with crib sides removed) until 4.5 yo. When he started approaching the crib mattress length (which I believe is 52'', and he got to be 42'' or so) we switched to a single (aka twin) bed with mattress from Walmart, we went for 8'' one that was in $100-200 range as I recall.
market timer

Post by market timer »

We use a Japanese-style mattress like this:

My wife had this kind of mattress during her entire childhood.
BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie »

I found a very good deal on a discounted Tempurpedic brand full mattress. Based on their quality (my wife and I have owned one for 10 years) I anticipate that our toddler will own this mattress for a long time.
edge

Post by edge »

We bought high end convertible cribs that went from a crib to a full size bed. For the period between sleeping on a real bed and the crib we put the mattress on the floor. We have firm latex mattresses from pure latexbliss and used waterproof mattress protectors.
Afty

Post by Afty »

We bought a twin-sized mattress from Ikea when our first kiddo grew too big for the crib. We placed it on the floor so that if she rolled out she wouldn't hurt herself. We let her pick out the sheets and duvet cover.

Oh, and the mattress cover is key. Obviously when you're potty training, but even later random stuff happens -- they get a nosebleed, the baby ends up in the bed and wets it, etc.
teacher

Post by teacher »

I buy twin memory foam mattresses for my grandchildren at Costco, and their parents buy inexpensive bed frames at Ikea. The memory foam mattresses should last throughout childhood and beyond. They use Ikea bed frames very low to the ground, about 12". Both items can be purchased on-line.

Costco Memory Foam Mattresses-twin
http://www.costco.com/twin-mattresses.h ... 2b17392%2b

Ikea twin bed frames
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categ ... oom/16285/

For our own children, in the '80s, we bought traditional mattresses and had captain beds made for storage. I am still big fan of captain beds with six drawers, but they are high off the floor so are not a good choice for very young toddlers.
Last edited by teacher on Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Go to Amazon and search for 6" memory foam mattress. You can get a very comfortable twin mattress for $100. No box spring needed.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Our daughter got a "big girl bed" (twin mattress on metal frame) for her 2nd birthday. Total cost, with frame and box spring, was ~$200 from a local store. It was actually a decent (middle-of the road) mattress, the local store is really cheap. No issues in almost 2yrs and it has a long warranty (I think it is like 10yrs).
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Thanks for the replies. It's along the lines of what I was thinking but will discuss with my wife. I like the Japanese style mattress.
KlingKlang wrote:
I never heard of an organic mattress. Is it stuffed with corn husks?
Yes but only if they're organically grown (of course). But seriously, if you research some of the chemicals that are used in mattresses you may be surprised.
vveat

Post by vveat »

My kids slept in toddler-size beds, using their crib mattresses, from 1.5 year old until this year (so one used it for 5.5 years, the other only 3 years).
Now we built them custom loft beds using IKEA's small bed mattresses (27.5 x 63"). I don't think we'll upgrade them to twin beds for a few more years. Kids are different, ours are on the small side, and definitely don't need that much space.

Regarding the mattresses, they can sleep perfectly happily on the floor in a sleeping bag, so a really nice mattress is wasted on them. Also the toddler phase sees a lot of jumping on the bed, so more wear and tear. The crib mattresses we bought were high quality spring ones and they were literally falling apart when we threw them out this year. Wait for the $800 purchase until she hits the teen years.
Lafder

Post by Lafder »

Full sized or bigger, so if there are musical beds during the night and toddler comes to your room and one of you goes to toddler bed, or if one of you starts out in toddler bed, or if the toddler ends up in your bed and both parents end up in the toddler bed etc etc. In other words, bigger than a single so it fits 2, if you have the space.

As far as an expensive toddler mattress, or any mattress, I would invest in a good water proof pad for whatever mattress. Personally, we got relatively inexpensive, under 300$ if I recall and my teens still sleep on them and don't complain they are uncomfortable.

One added a memory foam topper grandma offered and bought, the other didn't want it.

They were on a mattress on the floor til about ages 3 and 5 when they got real beds.

lafder
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

guardianangel wrote:Do not spend much on a mattress until the kid is older and will appreciate a good mattress - probably around 10-12 years old. Those early years they weigh too little for the firmness of the mattress to make any difference in their comfort. They also can have "accidents" like wetting the bed or vomiting in the middle of the night. They also cannot resist jumping on the bed. Stick with the twin mattress on the floor and then graduate to a frame and bedboard. When your child is older, have him or her help select the mattress size and firmness. He or she will appreciate and enjoy the upgrade and the mattress will last until they eventually move out.
I agree with this completely.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

We have two boys that are 23 months apart. When my older son was 2, we bought a bunk bed which can be converted to two single beds. They also came with guard rails which were great to prevent him from rolling off the bed. For the mattress, we bought the cheapest mattress at Costco for double mattress intended for bunkbeds. They were simmons brand and had a nice pillow top. My mom visited a few times and said they were the best mattress she has slept on. I sometimes sneak a nap on them as well. The bunkbeds probably cost no more than $800 and the mattresses were under $300.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Boomer01

Post by Boomer01 »

We bought our son a convertible race car bed when he was 1.5 years old. We used his crib mattress in it for about a year and then got a twin mattress which also fits the bed. The Slumber 1 twin mattress was a cheaper mattress, but had great reviews and is perfect for a small child. It is 8" think and can support my wife and I on the bed at the same time and is surprisingly comfortable.
WalterMitty

Post by WalterMitty »

Here was our progression....

1)Crib
2)Crib matteress on the floor (when they started climbing out of their crib)
3)Complete bedroom set..queen bed, dresser, side table.

When they are young it was weird to see a little person in such a big bed, but works out well (plenty of room to read good night stories, etc.). We bought good sets that last and these "real beds" we always there for visitors.

Current age of kids is 17, 15, 10. The 17 year old still has a great set that is holding up well after about 13 years.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Went from crib to twin bed. This works until they leave home.

If you get a high end mattress make sure you get a waterproof cover!
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
davebo

Post by davebo »

My daughter has a full size bed and my boys have a bunk bed (full size on bottom, twin size on top).

With my oldest, we made the mistake of letting him come into the bed at night. With my youngest, we take him back to the bed and lie with him. The problem is that I end up falling asleep in his bed and stay there all night, so I'm glad he has a full sized bed :)
playtothebeat

Post by playtothebeat »

My nearly 2 year old son is still using the crib mattress. The crib has "converted" to a "toddler bed", which he's been using since he was about 18 months. Of course, just about every night he wakes up between 1 and 3 am and walks on over to our room and somehow ends up in bed with us.. Can't wait until he's like 3 and can take real direction (perhaps wishful thinking??) and I can explain to him that his bed is in his room, and our bed is not his bed.
Our crib converts into a full size bed, so that's the next step.
drewmo

Post by drewmo »

We used a normal mid-price mattress for our toddlers. We first used a bed rail (about $20-30 on amazon) Once that became too cumbersome, we simply inserted a pool noodle underneath the fitted sheet. Many children have accidents until at least 6yrs old.... maybe save the $800 mattress for when they are tweens. One time I had to lug a mattress outside to properly clean it and let it dry in the sun after a bad case of flu (sweat, vomit...I'll spare you...) having a light, easily portable mattress was a life saver.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

livesoft wrote:A mattress on the floor works fine for a toddler until they get to be about 26 years old.
Some never outgrow the mattress on the floor. :(
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
psteinx

Post by psteinx »

Maybe not a great idea to buy a (fairly) expensive mattress for a ~2 year old, especially if the plan is to use it for 16+ more years.

As has been noted already, there is a risk with young kids of mattress contamination - peeing on the bed or whatnot.

By the time they're past that stage, you may be at a point were you're thinking about rearranging/replacing furniture for them. Bunk bed(s)? Trundle? Day bed? Does the kid want a full instead of a twin? Etc.

Even if the kid stays with a twin as furniture changes, the old mattress may be suboptimal for new furniture. For bunk beds, you don't want the mattress too thick (because the guard rails only go so high). IIRC, there's also a tall twin option, perhaps if you have a boy shooting towards 6 foot and beyond, and/or your kids like lots of pillows at the head of the bed.
kkhanmd

Post by kkhanmd »

Kids are very susceptible to chemicals in mattresses. Already studies are pointing out increase likelihood of childhood leukemia with indoor pesticide. One of the biggest issues is use of formaldehyde in mattresses as a fire retardant. These chemicals are not even listed on the product.

Since kids are the most precious investment I ever made, and I had plenty of money, I ended up buying fire retardant free mattresses. They were expensive, but probably not as expensive as getting leukemia or other hormonal dis-orders.

We used this website
http://www.myessentia.com/
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

We bought an inexpensive foam futon that we placed directly on the wood floor after the kids had outgrown the crib and were climbing out. They graduated to a twin mattress and eventually to a nice twin set. They didn't expand to full size mattresses until late HS and college. No one in this house has leukemia or any health issues from our bedding choices to date.

We do use allergy control barriers (allergic to dust mites) and did wait to invest in good mattresses until neither child was having night time accidents.
naturaforver

Post by naturaforver »

We just bought two kids bunk bed latex mattresshttps://www.bedandwood.com/mattresses/n ... affordable from this place, was the cheapest and organic as well.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

We had a long twin bed from years before (not being used) that we used for our son when he graduated from the crib.

I would not go to a full size bed for a young child - seems like twin size can last a long time.

It has been a long, long time - but I grew up with a twin width and then had zero issues when I went to college and there had the same size bed. I recall some students in the dorm had some "adjustment" problems.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Twin platform frames and memory foam mattress from Amazon. The kids love them and if I have to spend sometime up there in the middle of the night they're more than tolerable.

My kids that are using the mattresses are six and four. I'll upgrade them down the road when needed.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire »

My 2 kids went straight from the crib to full-size mattresses. But I'm embarrassed to say that the mattresses were the ones that my wife and I had in our apartments before we got married!
Hillview

Post by Hillview »

Ikea 3 years. Save the money
Bob-a-job

Post by Bob-a-job »

For my twin girls, I made simple low bed frames out of pine lumber with sides to fit their crib mattresses before they were old and big enough for regular sized twin beds. Screwed the wood together without glue so I could use the wood later for basement utility shelving.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

As other have said do NOT purchase an expansive mattress until well after toilet training is done... Since you have a full size mattress not I would just purchase a full sized bed frame and use what you have.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Leemiller

Post by Leemiller »

TxAg wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:20 pm Go to Amazon and search for 6" memory foam mattress. You can get a very comfortable twin mattress for $100. No box spring needed.
This is about as far from organic as you can get. There are some shady chemicals used in that process.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

We extended the lives of our cribs by simply removing one side so the kids could get in and out easily.

When we bought mattresses, we opened them up and let them off gas on the back porch for a couple weeks before installing them in their rooms. The first night is supposed to be the worst for chemicals since they get trapped in the plastic bags they use for shipping.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Regarding toilet training, we got my four year old a nice memory foam mattress and she is not fully potty trained yet. Still has a pull up on a night. But, they make waterproof mattress covers for exactly this purpose. And they work. We have one on our bed because the kids occasionally sleep with us, especially if they’re sick and and vomit in the bed.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
TierArtz

Post by TierArtz »

We got our three kids each an Amish-made mission-style double bed (two bunked) with a TempurPedic mattress (with protective covers). They can move them into their first home :D. Buying quality saves in the long run and helps keep America great.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

cheese_breath wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:07 am
Some never outgrow the mattress on the floor. :(
I had a floor-mattress in college, grad school and even after I was worth $500k. Of course, it was a very nice memory foam mattress.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

We got a crib that converted to a youth bed that converted to a loveseat. Still (sort of) using it 32 years after purchase (and sequential use by two infants/toddlers who are now adults. One of them occasionally reads on it.)
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Leemiller wrote: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:52 am
TxAg wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:20 pm Go to Amazon and search for 6" memory foam mattress. You can get a very comfortable twin mattress for $100. No box spring needed.
This is about as far from organic as you can get. There are some shady chemicals used in that process.
I was just refering to a plain memory foam mattress, not somehing like a Purple or Casper. Chances are the kiddo sits on foam in the car, on the couch, in the car seat, on a nap mat, etc.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

This is a timely thread. We are just going through this now with our 3 yo.

Twin mattress purchase from Costco, organic - $200

Bed frame from Amazon - AmazonBasics - Not sure of price since it was a gift. We'll see how it holds up.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks.
PFInterest

Post by PFInterest »

ThankYouJack wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:47 am My toddler is out of her crib and currently sleeping on an old full-size mattress on the floor. My wife and I are planning to get her a new, more comfortable bed (probably full size). My wife is thinking that she'll have the mattress until she's 18 and wants to buy a nice organic $800 one. Seems pricey to me just for the mattress (not including a box spring or bed), but if we do use it for 16 years, I wouldn't mind spending that much.

Anyway, what did you do for your kids, how long did you keep it and any recommendations? My wife would prefer something all-natural / organic.
If you want it to be all natural then you'll need a tent that fits out by the shed.....