[Prevent mail theft; sign for USPS Informed Delivery]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
hudson

Re: [Prevent mail theft; sign for USPS Informed Delivery]

Post by hudson » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:38 pm

My USPS Informed Delivery email comes in the morning around 8 a.m. Most recently it came at 8:22 a.m.

Travelgeek,
The email doesn't always show everything. I saw this at the end of my most recent email: "You may have more mail or packages than is shown here. To check, go to your Dashboard."

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:52 pm

Just a comment on the title. As far as I can tell, informed delivery does nothing to prevent mail theft. And if you report mail that has not been received, nothing seems to happen. I like it, but it does not prevent mail theft.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:14 pm

hudson wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:38 pm
Travelgeek,
The email doesn't always show everything. I saw this at the end of my most recent email: "You may have more mail or packages than is shown here. To check, go to your Dashboard."
Other then bulk-mail, my emails have always matched up what I actually get in my mailbox. I'm not sure if there is a maximum number of images allowed in the email, but if there is, I suspect it's at least 4 images.

Does anyone who gets a lot of legitimate mail on a single day can confirm this one way or the other?
munemaker wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:52 pm
Just a comment on the title. As far as I can tell, informed delivery does nothing to prevent mail theft. And if you report mail that has not been received, nothing seems to happen. I like it, but it does not prevent mail theft.
True, it doesn't stop mail theft, but Informed Delivery makes it much easier to uncover it sooner then later. (It's kind of like checking your credit report every year for fraudulent activity versus finding out your identity has been stolen when you're unable to get a loan because there are numerous delinquencies on your credit report due to fraudulent credit accounts).
Last edited by flamesabers on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:16 pm

flamesabers wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:14 pm
hudson wrote:
Travelgeek,
Other then bulk-mail, my emails have always matched up what I actually get in my mailbox. I'm not sure if there is a maximum number of images allowed in the email, but if there is, I suspect it's at least 4 images.

Does anyone who gets a lot of legitimate mail on a single day can confirm this one way or the other?
I've gotten more than four at a time, sometimes six or more. Once I got no mail at all on a day when the email showed that some was coming. It all came the next day. I don't know if my carrier was sick that day or what.

A quick check shows nine on November 27.
Last edited by Nicolas on Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:19 pm

flamesabers wrote:
hudson wrote:
Travelgeek,

munemaker wrote:
True, it doesn't stop mail theft, but Informed Delivery makes it much easier to uncover it sooner then later.
That has been my experience as well. The e-mail notification is only a sample of what is delivered. When I have tried to "go to my dashboard," I have gotten gibberish or so many hoops to jump through that I abandoned the effort. I have no idea if it presents an exhaustive list.

OTOH, the package delivery notifications from USPS have been complete, immediate, and specified whether they were left in the mailbox, on the porch, by the garage, etc.

sport

Post by sport » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:22 pm

It seems that the maximum number of items shown in the email is 10, based on my experience.

tj

Post by tj » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:34 pm

I get notificaions for stuff with my address but someone else's name, but the mailman doesn't bother to deliver stuff not in my name, it makes me wonder how long ago these people lived at my address. :D

blmarsha123

Post by blmarsha123 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:27 pm

Doom&Gloom wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:19 pm
flamesabers wrote:
hudson wrote:
Travelgeek,

munemaker wrote:
True, it doesn't stop mail theft, but Informed Delivery makes it much easier to uncover it sooner then later.
That has been my experience as well. The e-mail notification is only a sample of what is delivered. When I have tried to "go to my dashboard," I have gotten gibberish or so many hoops to jump through that I abandoned the effort. I have no idea if it presents an exhaustive list.

OTOH, the package delivery notifications from USPS have been complete, immediate, and specified whether they were left in the mailbox, on the porch, by the garage, etc.
No issues for me when visiting "my dashboard" -- simply click on the link in the e-mail, login to USPS, and am taken directly to my dashboard, which has today's mail images along with running totals of mail pieces and packages. No hoops or gibberish. Simple and easy to use.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:23 am

flamesabers wrote:
hudson wrote:
Travelgeek,
For me, it has always showed everything. I have not seen any exceptions (excluding bulk mail).

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:30 am

blmarsha123 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:27 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote:
When I have tried to "go to my dashboard," I have gotten gibberish or so many hoops to jump through that I abandoned the effort.
No issues for me when visiting "my dashboard" -- simply click on the link in the e-mail, login to USPS, and am taken directly to my dashboard, which has today's mail images along with running totals of mail pieces and packages. No hoops or gibberish. Simple and easy to use.
No issues for me either. Maybe Doom has a computer issue.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:03 am

munemaker wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:30 am
blmarsha123 wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:27 pm
Doom&Gloom wrote:
When I have tried to "go to my dashboard," I have gotten gibberish or so many hoops to jump through that I abandoned the effort.
No issues for me either. Maybe Doom has a computer issue.
OK, you guys guilted me into checking again--for the first time in a while. Everything displayed correctly. The "Dashboard" took about 30 seconds to load; maybe I was too impatient previously.

Cloud

Re: Postal Service -- "informed delivery"

Post by Cloud » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:11 pm

bertilak wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:00 pm
MP123 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:39 pm
This service is pretty handy but it does make me wonder about who else might be getting scanned images of the outside of my mail. Government agencies? advertisers? I guess they're getting it already though so I might as well too...
My guess is the just gave us access to something their mail sorting system has being for years.
The government has been imaging mail for maybe 20 years. That's how they catch many criminals. I'm glad customers are now receiving a free benefit from this government imaging. http://www.newsweek.com/postal-service- ... -it-280614

I find this service very useful when traveling. We travel a lot, have electronic delivery of most things, but the federal government still sends important documents via snail mail. Signed up, failed online verification, went to the post office in person, then had an email the next day with my mail images.

Set up a gmail label that auto filters all Informed Delivery, skipping my inbox. I never look at this folder unless I'm traveling. Easy peasy. What's not to like?

Cloud

Re: Prevent mail theft; sign for USPS Informed Delivery

Post by Cloud » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:27 pm

student wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:56 pm
nisiprius wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:46 pm
Silly me. Apart from the fact that I don't want the service, I assumed that signing up for it would be a security risk since it would mean that more personal information about me was being sent over the Internet. I was under the impression that even seeing the outside of your mail is considered valuable information e.g. by law enforcement agencies; it's somewhat sensitive information.

So, now I'm torn. I'd ignored the service because I didn't want my mail cover images sent over the Internet. But now Victoria is saying it's a security issue if I don't sign up for it. I'm not sure how to strike the balance!
I also signed up for it. I don't think having the outside of your mail sent over the internet is a security risk unless someone is targeting you specifically. I think knowing whether there are mail thefts or mistakes in delivery is more important.
Have you seen some of these scans? Some of my mail with thin envelopes I can actually read / see the letter inside... Quite the scanner they have! LMAO

student

Re: Prevent mail theft; sign for USPS Informed Delivery

Post by student » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:46 am

Cloud wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:27 pm
student wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:56 pm
nisiprius wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:46 pm
Silly me. Apart from the fact that I don't want the service, I assumed that signing up for it would be a security risk since it would mean that more personal information about me was being sent over the Internet. I was under the impression that even seeing the outside of your mail is considered valuable information e.g. by law enforcement agencies; it's somewhat sensitive information.

So, now I'm torn. I'd ignored the service because I didn't want my mail cover images sent over the Internet. But now Victoria is saying it's a security issue if I don't sign up for it. I'm not sure how to strike the balance!
I also signed up for it. I don't think having the outside of your mail sent over the internet is a security risk unless someone is targeting you specifically. I think knowing whether there are mail thefts or mistakes in delivery is more important.
Have you seen some of these scans? Some of my mail with thin envelopes I can actually read / see the letter inside... Quite the scanner they have! LMAO
Yes. I saw it on several occasions.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:10 pm

Today, Brian Krebs has posted an article about the security of the USPS Informed Delivery, "USPS Finally Starts Notifying You by Mail If Someone is Scanning Your Snail Mail Online," https://krebsonsecurity.com/2018/02/usp ... il-online/ . It was easy to abuse this service by signing up in someone else's name. Now, it's a bit more difficult to sign up, but it still has security holes. As with the IRS and SSA, you are better off signing up for this service even if you don't need it, than letting others do it for you. Think of all your ex-spouses, jealous colleagues, and vindictive neighbors having field days with your mail.

Read the article for the details.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:18 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:10 pm
Think of all your ex-spouses, jealous colleagues, and vindictive neighbors having field days with your mail.

Victoria
My mail is 99% junk. I wish they would not only waste their time spying on it, but also steal it from my box.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:19 pm

munemaker wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:18 pm
VictoriaF wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:10 pm
Think of all your ex-spouses, jealous colleagues, and vindictive neighbors having field days with your mail.

Victoria
My mail is 99% junk. I wish they would not only waste their time spying on it, but also steal it from my box.
Unfortunately, they will pick up the 1% that matters.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

sam_m

Post by sam_m » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:46 am

I am facing a strange issue with my postal mail delivery. I have subscribed to Informed delivery and I get a snapshot of postal mails to be delivered every morning. I get all mails addressed to my name but when they are addressed to my spouse those posts go missing. On those days the whole bundle of mails does not get delivered even if some of the mails in that bundle are addressed to me. She has lost several posts containing her renewed license, important communications from SSA office and bank letters. I reported missing mail at USPS.com and they are still searching. I am suspecting some kind of identity theft is going on. what are my options?

Pretzel lover

Post by Pretzel lover » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:18 am

Suggest being at the mailbox to ask your mail carrier in person what is happening.

My mail carrier was making decisions about who should get mail and who he was returning undeliverable if he didn’t recognize name.

You can also visit your local post office and speak to the manager.

sam_m

Post by sam_m » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:42 am

Thanks for your suggestion. I will try to get hold of the mailman today.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:55 pm

Funny thing that happened to us today.

According to Informed Delivery, we were supposed to receive a package from a retail store yesterday. It did not arrive. Looked at Informed Delivery and it said package was not delivered because mailbox was blocked. Really? Then how did our other (junk) mail get delivered?

So I managed to catch the carrier as she was delivering our mail today. She said sometimes the packages get mis-sorted at the office and she just delivers them the next day. I asked her about my mailbox supposedly being blocked yesterday. She said a code has to be entered for late deliveries and when the late delivery is due to mis-sorting, they use the blocked mailbox code.

Why not use the code for mis-sorted? Better to blame the customer where possible instead of themselves, I guess.