[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
second-guesser

Re: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by second-guesser »

I hate to admit it but think Man Down is funny.
It is undoubtedly not for everyone because it is quite silly
and sophomoric, however the characters are funny especially the
star Greg Davies.
I have only watched three episodes so it might become old but
so far it has provided me with some big laughs.
Each episode is 23 minutes.
S-G
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

We just started watching Longmire - good crime-mystery series. I know its been mentioned a few times above.

My 2 favorites of all time on NetFlix:
Breaking Bad (watched it prior to NetFlix actually) - lots of suspense, plot twists, subtle (and not so subtle) humor, etc.
Rectify - originally from the Sundance channel. Different than any other series.
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

Surprisingly sweet "trashy" viewing: Queer Eye.

Netflix has rebooted Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, lopped off the "straight guy" limitation, and taken it to the South. There's fashion and grooming tips and silliness, yes, but this is actually a show about building self-confidence and developing human connection across all the social barriers that can separate us.

Episode 1: Classic car fan needs help to ask his ex-wife out on a new date.

Episode 2: Semi-professional Nascar tailgater gets out of self-imposed exile in the family's basement.

By episode 3, wherein the Fab 5 help a man prepare to come out to his stepmother, who is his only family after his dad died...I'm not crying, you're crying!
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

JBTX wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:52 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:18 pm ^^^ Just finished it. I lost track of how many times I saw something and thought "I had one of those..." I couldn't get out of my mind that one of the main characters is a blend of Indiana Jones and John McAfee.

Next up: Altered Carbon. The first episode was interesting. This isn't the best show I've ever seen, but it's worth continuing.
It gets better. Stick with it.
Good, it's been on my list since I read the book, but I haven't been terribly impressed yet. I'll stick with it.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

JBTX wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:52 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:18 pm ^^^ Just finished it. I lost track of how many times I saw something and thought "I had one of those..." I couldn't get out of my mind that one of the main characters is a blend of Indiana Jones and John McAfee.

Next up: Altered Carbon. The first episode was interesting. This isn't the best show I've ever seen, but it's worth continuing.
It gets better. Stick with it.
I agree. I enjoyed it. I did think there were too many subplots for a short series.
LukeHeinz57

Post by LukeHeinz57 »

Peaky Blinders...It's amazing! Period drama in post WWI England with an incredible cast of small-town gangsters looking to make it big.
"Contentment", the only thing you ever truly need more of!
over45

Post by over45 »

wife is a big fan of Heartland on Netflix.
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

Starting writing this post only for the last couple months, decided to go back a year. I recently decided to cut down on the number of TV shows I watch. This list is only Netflix for the last year.

Altered Carbon - I don't think this is a great show, but fans of science fiction would probably enjoy it. I have 2 episodes left. I watch with subtitles since otherwise the jargon is difficult for me to follow. This is like a noir dressed up in CGI with some surface-level explorations of themes that are investigated more deeply in movies like Blade Runner. I'd continue watching if there was a second season.

Dark - I think this is overrated. I probably wouldn't watch a second season, since the plot/mystery elements simply don't interest me. There are some great characters and moments; Hannah is fascinating and my favorite scene of the show was probably the play with Martha. However, much of it was a slog to me and I had trouble keeping interest or staying awake.

The End of the F***ing World - I really liked this, and it's over in less than 3 hours. Like Natural Born Killers with more heart to it.

Black Mirror - Season 4 was a little uneven, but I enjoyed it.

Mindhunter - I loved it.

American Vandal - incredible, probably my favorite show I've watched on Netflix.

The Defenders - not very good. I haven't watched The Punisher and might not bother with any of the future seasons of Marvel shows except Jessica Jones, since the other shows were too uneven (Luke Cage) or dipped badly in quality (Daredevil).

Ozark - I thought this was awesome and terrible at the same time. The show is completely ludicrous. I'd watch another season.

GLOW - I loved it.

Orange is the New Black - Season 5 was not very good. I probably won't bother with future seasons.

House of Cards - Season 5 was terrible. I probably won't bother with future seasons.

Master of None - I think this is overrated as a whole, but some individual episodes are very good.

Luke Cage - it was ok, I probably won't continue with another season.
RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 »

B I G
M O U T H

Watching it for the second time ...
ebrasmus21

Post by ebrasmus21 »

JBTX wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:43 pm
ebrasmus21 wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:51 pm
JBTX wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:25 pm
ebrasmus21 wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:42 pm
lostdog wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:19 pm Altered Carbon. Pretty good so far. Blade runner sci fi.
I'm interested in giving this a shot. Looks interesting.

Haven't read in the thread but for those of you who tried watching the first episode of Black Mirror and gave up on it (because of episode 1) -- go back and continue watching. Great anthology!!

Totally agree on black mirror. I could see how 1st episode may turn off some people. It is mostly unrepresentative of the rest of the series.

The last season was good but didn’t enjoy as much as some others. As others last season was very dark.

Watched a couple of episodes of altered carbon. Haven’t felt it yet but I’ll stick with it a while longer.
I've watched the first couple episodes of A. Carbon and I've enjoyed it thus far. I wouldn't be able to admit that I'm 100% following the story line but I'm liking it none the less.
Finished A Carbon. Definitely picked / clarifies up a few epidsodes in. Is it a one season only?
Ha okay so it isn't just me.

I think they just have the one season out right now.
bstevlin

Post by bstevlin »

bstevlin wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:56 pm Warsaw Spies based on an Alan Furst novel. On the surface it would seem this would an intriguing series. However, the dialogue is stilted and almost amateurish. Certainly not up to the BBC standards for writing. There are many BBC actors, but I believe the series is a big disappointment. Maybe others will view my opinion differently. Babylon Berlin (German language with English subtitles) set in Berlin 1929 to 1934. It is my opinion it is Germany’s answer to the Wire the most famous American TV crime drama. The two leading protagonists are a drug addled police inspector suffering from PTSD from WWI and a part time prostitute who aspires to be a homicide detective because she knows she would be good at it. All the characters compromise their ethics to pursue their goals while on occasion show kindness to less fortunate people. The Weimar Republic has a tenuous grip on the rule of law. Stalinists, Trostkyites, Underworld gangs, milatarists and far right groups are all trying to establish their grip on this Democratic city and country. Some of the police with all their faults are trying to unravel the schemes with competing forces often collaborating with each to cover up their objectives. A first rate drama by a German novelist who is known to be a stickler for authenticity. Highly recommended.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

For those having a bit of trouble understanding altered carbon it gets waaaay better the second half of the season. I found myself wanting to watch more some nights but I had to go to bed.
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

lostdog wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:20 pm For those having a bit of trouble understanding altered carbon it gets waaaay better the second half of the season. I found myself wanting to watch more some nights but I had to go to bed.
In the first few episodes, Altered Carbon was like American Gods for me. I wasn't sure I liked it, but wanted to know what was going on so I had to keep watching.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

Dived into Godless. I have to agree with others it is very good. It isn’t quite what I expected from previews.
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

aaronb wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:07 pm ... though I'll admit to flagging enthusiasm for Doctor Who the past several seasons.
You just hush your dirty little mouth!

(from an avid, lifelong Doctor Who fan who is very excited to watch 13 next October!)
Green Street

Post by Green Street »

Finished “Everything Sucks!” in one sitting, went in with no expectations and came out pleasantly surprised. Lots of 90’s nostalgia.
Searching Through The FiRE
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

The Crown. Netflix.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Fletch wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:49 pm The Crown. Netflix.
It's going to be strange having a different cast for Season 3.
rixer

Post by rixer »

My new favorite show on Netflix is a Bravo production called "Imposters". It's about a beautiful scam artist that marries men and women leaving them with nothing after she takes it all. Three of her victims team up to find her but they run out of money because she took it all. They resort to becoming grifters to get money to keep searching for her.
Anyway, I've only watched 4 episodes but I love this show!
Check it out. :thumbsup
MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx »

An easy binge, as there are only two episodes so far, My Next Guest (Needs no Introduction) with David Letterman.
An informal interview show with Dave and one guest. Barack Obama and George Clooney are the guests on the first two shows.

Looks like there will be one a month.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
Mistermooso

Post by Mistermooso »

dbCooperAir wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:32 pm I see many Bogleheads have and use Netflix.

I have had Netflix for many years, at times I feel I'm not getting my money out it as its not being used, sometime months on end. Netflix has a ton of content, but for me finding the content sometimes is challenge. As an example I'm sure I'm missing old classic movies/shows just because I have no idea what they are.

To help all us fellow Bogleheads get the most bang for our dollars out of Netflix how about we start a Netflix show list.

I just ask that you give the title and genre + any other comments
Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return
Genre: Comedy

An amazing revival of my favorite show of all-time.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I'm gonna stretch and bring up a Amazon streaming show: Father Ted (UK, 1995-1998).

Confession: I like silliness and Father Ted is a very silly show -- on the level of Men Behaving Badly, which I also recommend.

Example dialog from the third show (all I've seen so far):
  • Father Ted: That would be quite common you know. The favorite son would become a doctor and then the idiot brother would be sent off to the priesthood.
    [pause while Father Dougal slowly turns that over in his head ... ]
    Father Dougal: Your brother is a doctor isn't he?
    Father Ted: Yes he is.
    [Both are far too dense to draw any conclusions from that.]
Some of the silliness is visual:
  • Scene: Father Ted's sitting room. Bright sunlight is streaming through a window.
    Father Dugal goes to the window to check the weather and we are shown a one-second, or so, black and white video of a raging storm tearing apart palm trees on some tropical beach.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
URSnshn

Post by URSnshn »

Mudbound - really worth the time and well done.
Puakinekine

Post by Puakinekine »

The Stranger aka Bimilui Soop or Hidden Forest on Netflix. Excellent. I have not binge watched this much since The Wire. It is in Korean with subtitles, but well worth the extra effort. The first five minutes are a little cheesy in the way the main protagonist's character is explained, but after that it takes off.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

We have watched and enjoyed these detective series from the BBC on Netflix:

Shetland

Death in Paradise

Poirot

Father Brown

Miss Marple

Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries

Midsomer Murdrers

Hinterland
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:42 pm We have watched and enjoyed these detective series :

Shetland

Death in Paradise

Poirot

Father Brown

Miss Marple

Midsomer Murdrers

Hinterland
Many of my favorites listed there!

I have not watched Miss Fisher so will add to my list.

For some reason, I did not appreciate Miss Marple. This is odd because I enjoyed the books, although not quite as much as the Poirot books.

It seem Death in Paradise is a couple of seasons behind. I hope Netflix or Amazon will pick up the latest. My favorite character is Dwayne (Danny John-Jules).

What can you say about Miss Fisher?
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
bstevlin

Post by bstevlin »

Dip Post
bstevlin

Post by bstevlin »

Delete post again
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

bertilak wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:07 pm
ruralavalon wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:42 pm We have watched and enjoyed these detective series :

Shetland

Death in Paradise

Poirot

Father Brown

Miss Marple

Midsomer Murdrers

Hinterland
Many of my favorites listed there!

I have not watched Miss Fisher so will add to my list.

For some reason, I did not appreciate Miss Marple. This is odd because I enjoyed the books, although not quite as much as the Poirot books.

It seem Death in Paradise is a couple of seasons behind. I hope Netflix or Amazon will pick up the latest. My favorite character is Dwayne (Danny John-Jules).

What can you say about Miss Fisher?
Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries is set in Melbourne, Australia in the 1920s. She is an attractive independent-minded young woman. She often works alongside or aggravates Melbourne a police detective who never quite becomes a romantic interest, although you always expect the romance will develop. We enjoyed the series very much.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
BashDash

Re: Hulu, Your Current Favorite Show

Post by BashDash »

Pennstater I just finished the wrong mans ( season 1) on your recommendation. Awesome! Thanks!
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

BashDash wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:29 pm Pennstater I just finished the wrong mans ( season 1) on your recommendation. Awesome! Thanks!
You're welcome! The only bad part is that it's only two seasons :(
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Getting ready to start Shut Eye. A dark comedy about storefront psychics and the crime syndicate that runs them. Trailer looked good and it's another Hulu original.

Also looking forward to The Looming Towers. It starts on February 28th. Trailer link below.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bgsdAUKIICo
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

Not my favorite, but Dirty Money, episode 3 is very interesting.
Valeant Pharmaceuticals, short sellers including Fahmi Quadir...
Good stuff.
magazinewriter

Post by magazinewriter »

I signed up for a free one-week trial of Hulu Live in order to watch the Olympic figure skating content on NBCsn. I didn’t want to continue with that ($39.99) so when the trial ended yesterday switched to basic Hulu.

I have Netflix and Prime but the previews for The Looming Towers look good. (Love Jeff Daniels.) In the meantime I’ve been watching Designated Survivor with Kiefer Sutherland.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

Puakinekine wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:50 pm The Stranger aka Bimilui Soop or Hidden Forest on Netflix. Excellent. I have not binge watched this much since The Wire. It is in Korean with subtitles, but well worth the extra effort. The first five minutes are a little cheesy in the way the main protagonist's character is explained, but after that it takes off.
I gave up on it after 3 episodes. I watch lots of subtitled shows (currently watching Dark and Suburra), but the dialogue for this one would flash on the screen faster than I could read it and take in what was happening.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Un-paused my membership to watch Halt and Catch Fire season 4.
galectin

Post by galectin »

I am enjoying Altered Carbon, having enjoyed the books it is based on by Richard K. Morgan. There are three in the series, all of which are good.
Puakinekine

Post by Puakinekine »

House Blend wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:22 pm
Puakinekine wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:50 pm The Stranger aka Bimilui Soop or Hidden Forest on Netflix. Excellent. I have not binge watched this much since The Wire. It is in Korean with subtitles, but well worth the extra effort. The first five minutes are a little cheesy in the way the main protagonist's character is explained, but after that it takes off.
I gave up on it after 3 episodes. I watch lots of subtitled shows (currently watching Dark and Suburra), but the dialogue for this one would flash on the screen faster than I could read it and take in what was happening.
Sorry to hear that. I watched it on a relatively small screen (Surface Pro) so it was easier to scan the subtitles quickly. Even so, at times I was not fast enough to make it to the end of the sentences. I finished all 16 episodes tonight and may go around again to pick up on what was missed :? Despite lapses in comprehension, for me it was great entertainment and well worth watching.
alexander29

Post by alexander29 »

Babylon Berlin is a German subtitled 16-part series set in 1929 Berlin, a few months before the Wall Street crash and four years before Hitler comes to power. Gritty, but great production values, excellent acting, and superb mysteries with some of the best plotting and writing since Breaking Bad. If you stick with it, the last two episodes will blow you away. The time period is fascinating.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

ruralavalon wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:04 pmMiss Fisher's Murder Mysteries is set in Melbourne, Australia in the 1920s. She is an attractive independent-minded young woman. She often works alongside or aggravates Melbourne a police detective who never quite becomes a romantic interest, although you always expect the romance will develop. We enjoyed the series very much.
Just saw the first two episodes. I will watch more.

It reminds me of Partners in Crime (aka Tommy and Tuppence) but without Tommy: Plucky young woman decides to be a private detective and outsmarts and/or out-pluckys everyone! I guarantee the writers paid a LOT of attention to Agatha Christie -- who is responsible for Tommy and Tuppence.

Sample (plucky) dialog:
  • [evening, policeman at door...]
    Policeman: You need to come to the station in the morning to explain why you abducted a young child.
    Miss Fisher: I'm sure I'll have a perfectly good explanation by then.
macaroon

Post by macaroon »

I just started watching "Rita", a Danish comedy/drama (subtitled). IMDB describes it as "Following the life of a very outspoken and rebellious woman, Rita is a school teacher who is competent in the classroom, but seems to need a teacher of her own, when it comes to her personal life." There are 4 seasons, 8 episodes each. I binged on the first season over 2 days -- it's addicting!
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

On Amazon.Prime
DW and I are hooked on "The Americans".
From Google:
The Americans is an American period drama television series created by Joe Weisberg for the FX television network. Set in the early 1980s during the Cold War, it is the story of Elizabeth (Keri Russell) and Philip Jennings (Matthew Rhys), two Soviet KGB officers posing as an American married couple living in the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, D.C., with their children Paige (Holly Taylor) and Henry (Keidrich Sellati). Their neighbor Stan Beeman (Noah Emmerich) is an FBI agent working in counterintelligence.

A bit less "Hollywood" and a bit more closer to what may be reality. Not as sensationalized.
Runs for 6 seasons.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
jainn

Post by jainn »

. . . .
Last edited by jainn on Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yiewsley

Post by Yiewsley »

On Acorn TV (via Amazon Prime but you can get it standalone: The Detectorists
Bmac

Post by Bmac »

Seinfeld -Comedians in cars getting coffee
BashDash

Post by BashDash »

Any comments on The Looming Towers. Thinking of starting it since I finished The Wrong Mans.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I liked "The Bridge". Set in Sweden/Denmark with subtitles.

Not sure if it is still available as we let our Hulu subscription lapse.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I like The Path and Handmaid's Tale.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
jaguar3003

Post by jaguar3003 »

pennstater2005 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:12 pm Hulu has all 15 seasons of the medical drama ER now. That's over 330 episodes :shock:
+1

My wife had never seen the show before--she loves it. I forgot how good of a show it was.
rebellovw

Post by rebellovw »

Chance - love it - The Path.

My new show - Designated Survivor - or as I call it - 24 meets westwing - with Jack Baur as president.