Recessed 4 inch LEDs: Recommended brands

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
coalcracker

Recessed 4 inch LEDs: Recommended brands

Post by coalcracker »

I'm having a heck of a time researching this subject. I will be using a few dozen of these as part of a large remodeling project, and are looking for the following criteria:

4 inch
2700k color temperature
dimmable

These can get pricey, so more economical options would be welcome. I'd love to hear personal experience, especially as related to dimmability (i.e. no flickering)

Thanks,
cc
unclescrooge

Re: Recessed 4 inch LEDs: Recommended brands

Post by unclescrooge »

I recently out about 50 in the entire house. Used feit brand from Costco.

They look good and work on dimmers. Only issue is sometimes the dimmed light is inconsistent between two on the same dimmer.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I've seen such lights overheat and cause problems: flickering because they got too hot, then failure.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

livesoft wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:15 pm I've seen such lights overheat and cause problems: flickering because they got too hot, then failure.
I'm open to suggestions for alternatives. I had read that LEDs gave off less heat than alternatives.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

coalcracker wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:22 pm
livesoft wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:15 pm I've seen such lights overheat and cause problems: flickering because they got too hot, then failure.
I'm open to suggestions for alternatives. I had read that LEDs gave off less heat than alternatives.
That is true, but other types of lights can withstand the heat.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

In 2016 I replaced 50 MR16 bulbs and about 50 various other bulbs with their LED 2700k counterparts - Costco FEIT and miscellaneous highly ranked Amazon products.

This lowered my electric bill a modest amount. None have needed to be replaced. All work with dimmers just fine. I'm kind of surprised the outdoor bulbs are working great.

They do not generate any heat.

No particular brands to recommend - I just went on Amazon and got the highest rated, which often was mid pricepoint.
MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx »

Why 2700K color?

I've been switching to LEDs. While my wife doesn't know the details she is happy with the 6500K bulbs I'm using.
Yes, I'm a fan of daylight color temps.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity
Topic Author
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

MichaelRpdx wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:42 pm Why 2700K color?

I've been switching to LEDs. While my wife doesn't know the details she is happy with the 6500K bulbs I'm using.
I'm very picky about lighting color. If I had 6500k bulbs I'd be sitting around the house in sunglasses 8-)
MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx »

coalcracker wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:46 pm

I'm very picky about lighting color. If I had 6500k bulbs I'd be sitting around the house in sunglasses 8-)
I do mean temp, not intensity. :)
Though in the past I have lit some rooms to near daylight intensity.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

i have many dozens of the Halo RA4 floods and spots in my 1.5 year old home, both inside and out. They are all working very well. Don’t be afraid to go with the 3000k units. They are not too cold. Lutron Maestro dimmers. No flicker.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
Topic Author
coalcracker

Post by coalcracker »

CaliJim wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:53 pm i have many dozens of the Halo RA4 floods and spots in my 1.5 year old home, both inside and out. They are all working very well. Don’t be afraid to go with the 3000k units. They are not too cold. Lutron Maestro dimmers. No flicker.
Have you noticed any buzzing with those lights and dimmers? That is another complaint I have seen for some combinations.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

MichaelR IS wearing sunglasses.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I have Feit 2700k bulbs in all the recessed fixtures as well as others throughout my home. Most are on dimmers. I am very happy with the bulbs themselves and the color which changes very little as they are dimmed. I tried the whiter (higher k) bulbs and didn't like them at all. Of course your taste in light color may be different than mine. I changed most of my bulbs out (incandescent to LED) almost 4 years ago and some quickly failed. The nice thing about Costco is that the defective bulbs were accepted for return with no questions asked. LED technology is improving rapidly so I expect that the failure rate is much lower now than it was then. Since the failed bulbs were replaced with new ones none have failed a second time and none of those that didn't fail almost immediately have failed since.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

MichaelRpdx wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:12 pm

I presume you enjoy the Costco experience so much, you like to pretend you're living in one? :mrgreen:
Last edited by unclescrooge on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

Personally, I'd just go buy 4" Halo incandescent cans from Home Depot, and then use screw in LED bulbs that are rated for such.

The cans that have a built in LED are extremely expensive, and if the LED ever needs replaced, very expensive again.
MichaelRpdx

Post by MichaelRpdx »

unclescrooge wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:23 pm
MichaelRpdx wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:12 pm

I prime you enjoy the Costco experience so much, you like to pretend you're living in one? :mrgreen:
I have an art background. Daylight balanced lighting enables creating and viewing works as naturally as possible. The really lit up, high intensity, spaces were studios. It's also good for the indoor plants.

Yeah, my avatar does have "sunglasses" - autogrey lenses.
wilked

Post by wilked »

Halo H99 cans from the Depot
Sunco 3000k inserts

Sunco Lighting 6 PACK 13Watt 5/6" Inch ENERGY STAR UL Listed Dimmable Baffle LED Recessed Lighting Light Retrofit Kit Fixture Downlight 3000K Warm White LED Ceiling Light, Wet Location 830LM, CRI 90 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5LUN9K/re ... JAbQ3D153J
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

arsenalfan wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:32 pm They do not generate any heat.
Yes they do, this was a fallacious claim made about LED bulbs when they first appeared on the market but it is not true. It is also not true that they don't attract bugs. They do produce significantly less heat.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

MichaelRpdx wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:12 pm Though in the past I have lit some rooms to near daylight intensity.
That takes a lot of bulbs. By my calculations the lower end of full daylight in a bright white room would require 800lumen (60W incandescent equivalent) on a grid spaced 16 inches apart. In a typical bedroom that would be 150 bulbs. Direct sunlight could be 10 times that.
onourway

Post by onourway »

We retrofit our entire house several years ago with LED. Mostly we ended up with Philips brand after trying and returning many others.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

onourway wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:12 am We retrofit our entire house several years ago with LED. Mostly we ended up with Philips brand after trying and returning many others.
I have had the best experience with Philips brand.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

livesoft wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:26 pm
coalcracker wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:22 pm
That is true, but other types of lights can withstand the heat.
Generally LEDs are on a bathtub curve of reliability. They either fail early on, or after the end of their designed life. Unlike CFLs, their useful life does not seem to be affected by how often you turn them on and off.

In replacing about 50 MR16 & GU10 halogens, the reduction in heat is noticeable from halogen or incandescent (less so w CFL)-- it's about an 80-90 reduction in heat output. These are mostly Philips bulbs, and we have not had any problem with reliability.
clsms

Post by clsms »

wilked wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:03 pm Halo H99 cans from the Depot
Sunco 3000k inserts

Sunco Lighting 6 PACK 13Watt 5/6" Inch ENERGY STAR UL Listed Dimmable Baffle LED Recessed Lighting Light Retrofit Kit Fixture Downlight 3000K Warm White LED Ceiling Light, Wet Location 830LM, CRI 90 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5LUN9K/re ... JAbQ3D153J
+1 on the Sunco brand. I recently installed 6 4" Sunco recessed lights in my sister's kitchen and wanted to get IC (Insulation Contact)-rated cans as the ceiling has about 18" of insulation. The Halo brand at Home Depot were not IC rated and that led me to the Sunco brand on Amazon. We used the 2700k inserts to match the existing light temperature of other bulbs she has in her condo. Plus, the the cans/inserts are less expensive than the ones HD sells. Hope this helps!
dbr

Post by dbr »

FrugalInvestor wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:16 pm I have Feit 2700k bulbs in all the recessed fixtures as well as others throughout my home. Most are on dimmers. I am very happy with the bulbs themselves and the color which changes very little as they are dimmed.
For some shifting the color temp down with dimming was a feature which has been lost with LEDs. Maybe one day they will design a bulb with a color setting on a dial. I suppose if one had an array of lights half could be daylight and half could be warmer and one could switch out the cool one's when one wanted less but warmer light.
onourway

Post by onourway »

dbr wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:14 am
FrugalInvestor wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:16 pm I have Feit 2700k bulbs in all the recessed fixtures as well as others throughout my home. Most are on dimmers. I am very happy with the bulbs themselves and the color which changes very little as they are dimmed.
For some shifting the color temp down with dimming was a feature which has been lost with LEDs. Maybe one day they will design a bulb with a color setting on a dial. I suppose if one had an array of lights half could be daylight and half could be warmer and one could switch out the cool one's when one wanted less but warmer light.
Phillips made the L-Prize winning bulb that did this to an extent with any dimmer. We have a bunch of them in part for this reason (plus they were the best lumen per watt output for a long time). Philips and I'm sure others now do this in a much more extensive way with their smart bulbs. I presume some of them must be able to be controlled at the wall rather than an app or voice control by now.
dbr

Post by dbr »

onourway wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:27 am
dbr wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:14 am
Phillips made the L-Prize winning bulb that did this to an extent with any dimmer. We have a bunch of them in part for this reason (plus they were the best lumen per watt output for a long time). Philips and I'm sure others now do this in a much more extensive way with their smart bulbs. I presume some of them must be able to be controlled at the wall rather than an app or voice control by now.
Thanks for the pointer.