Anyone using Optum Bank for HSA?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
whitecliff

Anyone using Optum Bank for HSA?

Post by whitecliff »

[restarted thread, check post dates]

I am looking to setup so that I can invest all of my HSA money and pay for my medical expenses out of pocket. I have done a lot of research and from what I can find optum bank is the best option. I called two difference service reps and neither seemed real sure about my answers but they were both confident that if I maintained 5k in the account, 2k which had to stay in the cash side there would be no fees at all. They offer all the main vanguard funds. The first 2k in any account stays in cash and anything over that overflows into an "investable" account. The only fee they said was if the combined total drops below 5k and then there is 4.25 month. Does anyone use them and what is their experience? Thank you.
cameron

Re: Anyone using Optum Bank for HSA?

Post by cameron »

Yes, I've been using Optum Bank for about 5 yrs. The only "problem" was that once or twice their portal was offline for a few hours. Not at all bad for that length of time. I haven't used their investing option as I've kept my amount just over the $2k threshold.
SaturnV

Post by SaturnV »

I believe Optum is a unit of United Healthcare and is often the HSA provider that employers providing United Healthcare coverage to employees use for payroll contributions to HSA accounts. From what I've read here, it seems that different employers negotiate different terms for their employees' Optum HSA accounts. People seem to need to have varying minimum balances to avoid fees and have different investment options.

My account requires a $5,000 savings account balance but provides access to a number of Vanguard funds. I'm quite pleased with my Optum account.
Topic Author
whitecliff

Post by whitecliff »

IlliniGuy wrote:I believe Optum is a unit of United Healthcare and is often the HSA provider that employers providing United Healthcare coverage to employees use for payroll contributions to HSA accounts. From what I've read here, it seems that different employers negotiate different terms for their employees' Optum HSA accounts. People seem to need to have varying minimum balances to avoid fees and have different investment options.

My account requires a $5,000 savings account balance but provides access to a number of Vanguard funds. I'm quite pleased with my Optum account.
So if you maintain 5k then you have no fees? If so this is the best provider out there in that there are no fees and still provide vanguard funds. Am I missing something, seems to good to be true.
SaturnV

Post by SaturnV »

whitecliff wrote:
IlliniGuy wrote:I believe Optum is a unit of United Healthcare and is often the HSA provider that employers providing United Healthcare coverage to employees use for payroll contributions to HSA accounts. From what I've read here, it seems that different employers negotiate different terms for their employees' Optum HSA accounts. People seem to need to have varying minimum balances to avoid fees and have different investment options.

So if you maintain 5k then you have no fees? If so this is the best provider out there in that there are no fees and still provide vanguard funds. Am I missing something, seems to good to be true.
Yes, exactly. In early January I started investing and I haven't paid any fees. Again, terms seem to vary between different employer sponsored accounts and publicly available accounts, so confirm the terms available to you for yourself.
Topic Author
whitecliff

Post by whitecliff »

IlliniGuy wrote:
whitecliff wrote:

Yes, exactly. In early January I started investing and I haven't paid any fees. Again, terms seem to vary between different employer sponsored accounts and publicly available accounts, so confirm the terms available to you for yourself.
January 2017?
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

+1. Employers select different options in their contracts. It isn't just up to Optum Bank.
SaturnV

Post by SaturnV »

whitecliff wrote:
IlliniGuy wrote:
whitecliff wrote:

January 2017?
Yes
jcerickson

Post by jcerickson »

I have an Optum Bank HSA through United HealthCare, also. As others have stated, each individual employer plan varies. With our plan, we must keep a minimum cash balance of $2K and then can invest amounts over that. We have a fixed $1/month fee for the cash account and an additional fixed $3/month fee if you also open an investment account. I even rolled another HSA into the Optum account because the fees for the other account increased as my balance increased - the Optum account was the least expensive HSA with Vanguard funds as investment options that I found.
Last edited by jcerickson on Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
523HRR

Post by 523HRR »

Our HSA has been with Optum Bank for 7+ years now. We avoid all fees keeping $5K in cash and invest the rest in VTSAX. No complaints.
Topic Author
whitecliff

Post by whitecliff »

523HRR wrote:Our HSA has been with Optum Bank for 7+ years now. We avoid all fees keeping $5K in cash and invest the rest in VTSAX. No complaints.

no fees? I think as of recently they are now charging 0.03% per month on all investments. If you look closely I bet you are now paying this fee.
Mr.Wu

Post by Mr.Wu »

My employer uses UHC and Optum bank. We keep 2k to avoid fees and the rest are invested in $100s. There has been zero maintenance fee or investment fee yet. I will monitor my statements and update this post if a fee pops up in the future.

BTW, another thread said in April the vanguard funds would be upgraded from investor share to admiral share. I recall in 2015 they transferred my vanguard SP500 fund to vanguard SP500 - A, I assume A stands for admiral. Right now the vanguard funds for me to choose from are admiral shares (I was in fact a little upset they're not institutional plus shares like what my 401k plan has)
perl

Post by perl »

My employer switched to Optum starting last month. In my case my employer pays the monthly fee, and I only need to hold $1k in the savings account before investing. I haven't set up the investments yet, I'll have to see if the 3 basis point fee applies in our accounts.
523HRR

Post by 523HRR »

whitecliff wrote:no fees? I think as of recently they are now charging 0.03% per month on all investments. If you look closely I bet you are now paying this fee.
Have never incurred a fee on my account, other than the embedded 5bps annual expense ratio for the Vanguard Admiral shares. Account fees may vary depending on your employer group. Here is the fee schedule for my account from the Optum site. $3 monthly maintenance fee is waived if average balance is at least $3,000. Amounts over $2,000 can be invested.

Standard Fees

Monthly Maintenance Fee
$0.00*

Includes use of:
- Health Savings Account Debit MasterCard® – to pay charges directly
- Online Bill Payment and Mobile Access
- Receipt Vault – allows you to upload and store images of receipts online

ATM and Outbound Transfer Fee
$2.50 per ATM transaction. In addition to our fee, the bank/ATM you use to withdraw funds may charge you their own fee.
$20.00 per Outbound Transfer or Rollover to another HSA Custodian.

* $3.00 OF THE $3.00 FEE IS BEING PAID ON YOUR BEHALF. IF FEE PAYMENT ARRANGEMENTS CHANGE FOR YOUR ACCOUNT, THE $3.00 FEE WILL BECOME YOUR RESPONSIBILITY AND WILL BE ASSESSED TO YOUR ACCOUNT FOR AVERAGE BALANCES BELOW $3,000. THE AVERAGE BALANCE TO WAIVE THE MONTHLY MAINTENANCE FEE DOES NOT INCLUDE INVESTMENT FUNDS.

Investment Account

Monthly Investment Fee
$0.00

Investment Threshold
$2,000 – The balance in your HSA must remain at or exceed the Investment Threshold each time a new investment is made.
Topic Author
whitecliff

Post by whitecliff »

523HRR wrote:
whitecliff wrote:no fees? I think as of recently they are now charging 0.03% per month on all investments. If you look closely I bet you are now paying this fee.
Have never incurred a fee on my account, other than the embedded 5bps annual expense ratio for the Vanguard Admiral shares. Account fees may vary depending on your employer group. Here is the fee schedule for my account from the Optum site. $3 monthly maintenance fee is waived if average balance is at least $3,000. Amounts over $2,000 can be invested.

Standard Fees

Monthly Maintenance Fee
$0.00*

Includes use of:
- Health Savings Account Debit MasterCard® – to pay charges directly
- Online Bill Payment and Mobile Access
- Receipt Vault – allows you to upload and store images of receipts online

ATM and Outbound Transfer Fee
$2.50 per ATM transaction. In addition to our fee, the bank/ATM you use to withdraw funds may charge you their own fee.
$20.00 per Outbound Transfer or Rollover to another HSA Custodian.

* $3.00 OF THE $3.00 FEE IS BEING PAID ON YOUR BEHALF. IF FEE PAYMENT ARRANGEMENTS CHANGE FOR YOUR ACCOUNT, THE $3.00 FEE WILL BECOME YOUR RESPONSIBILITY AND WILL BE ASSESSED TO YOUR ACCOUNT FOR AVERAGE BALANCES BELOW $3,000. THE AVERAGE BALANCE TO WAIVE THE MONTHLY MAINTENANCE FEE DOES NOT INCLUDE INVESTMENT FUNDS.

Investment Account

Monthly Investment Fee
$0.00

Investment Threshold
$2,000 – The balance in your HSA must remain at or exceed the Investment Threshold each time a new investment is made.
Mine would be a private account and it was going have 0.033% monthly maintenance fee.
jmk

Post by jmk »

Although they don't reveal it, they have three options for investing with most contracts: the default is $2000 kept in savings excess invested with 1$/m fee. They also have an option that allows only $500 kept in savings but something like $60/yr in fees. You have to change by phone, the options aren't on the web site.
Last edited by jmk on Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:59 am, edited 3 times in total.
ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone »

I pay $3/month if I don't keep at least $5k cash. I keep the minimum $2k and pay the $3 fee. I would rather invest the additional $3k than have it sitting in cash. I haven't noticed another fee being taken.
jarthurgreen

Post by jarthurgreen »

[restarted thread, check post dates]

Optumbank recently switched many "mycdh" accounts to their main "OptumBank.com" site and issued new debit cards. Website still unusable after one week. Given that UHC is the largest player in the health care insurance business this is quite an embarrassment. Am looking for new HSA provider. Any suggestions?
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I have an account there and I'm in the process of doing a trustee to trustee transfer into it. That should be completed in a year or less and then I'll have an opinion of Optum Bank. In my case my employer pays the fees.
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

jarthurgreen wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:26 pm [restarted thread, check post dates]

Optumbank recently switched many "mycdh" accounts to their main "OptumBank.com" site and issued new debit cards. Website still unusable after one week. Given that UHC is the largest player in the health care insurance business this is quite an embarrassment. Am looking for new HSA provider. Any suggestions?
The website has not allowing me to login for at least a week. It does not recognize my password and suggest I reset it. When I try to reset the password, it rejects my new password if I give the same one as before; so it does *know* my password!

Post by 618744 »

I just logged on to check. No problems, and the site has been updated since I last checked in.
I like the HSA much better since they added some (low fee)Vanguard funds to the investment side.
smartpants

Post by smartpants »

So far I have not used their investment option, but thinking about it. Guess it really depends on your employer when it comes to fees and investment options. Vanguard funds have been added a couple of months ago - before they only offered expensive Wells Fargo options.
I would (currently!) have no fees if I keep the cash amount over 2k$ and I am debating to invest in VG's WELLINGTON ADM (VWENX) fund. This one has a minimum of 50k$ usually, so it would be a good way to buy some shares. (Also note that it's the Admin version - there was a mentioning of this earlier in the thread.)

A question I had would be - what happens if you change your job? I am pretty sure that you would have to pay their standard fees (3.00$/month, investment fees, etc.)
Does anyone has an experience to offer?
PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac »

Very briefly with Optum when our Wells Fargo HSA closed and they automatically transferred us into Optum. Unfortunately they did some kind of deal where we couldn't get the cheap index funds, so we moved to Old National Bank. Happy enough there - good selection of funds and we don't have to keep anything in cash (afaik - DH did the detailed stuff).
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

I have an HSA account at Optum. I keep $1,500 In cash and the rest in mutual funds. No fees.

TravelforFun
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

TravelforFun wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:12 pm I have an HSA account at Optum. I keep $1,500 In cash and the rest in mutual funds. No fees.

TravelforFun
Is it through employer ?
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

ejvyas wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:22 pm
TravelforFun wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:12 pm I have an HSA account at Optum. I keep $1,500 In cash and the rest in mutual funds. No fees.

TravelforFun
Is it through employer ?
No. I opened the account myself at Wells Fargo then it became Optum.

TravelforFun
davidsorensen32

Post by davidsorensen32 »

Absolutely horrible customer service. I cannot invest my contributions into VG funds !!!!! I've been dialing them for 3 weeks in a row. Every time I have to explain for 45 minutes and they say they open a case and to come back within 2-3 business days which I do and lo and behold nothing has changed. I would ditch them in a heartbeat if I was not locked into them through my employer. STAY AWAY FROM OPTUM AT ALL COSTS !!
whitecliff wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:50 pm [restarted thread, check post dates]

I am looking to setup so that I can invest all of my HSA money and pay for my medical expenses out of pocket. I have done a lot of research and from what I can find optum bank is the best option. I called two difference service reps and neither seemed real sure about my answers but they were both confident that if I maintained 5k in the account, 2k which had to stay in the cash side there would be no fees at all. They offer all the main vanguard funds. The first 2k in any account stays in cash and anything over that overflows into an "investable" account. The only fee they said was if the combined total drops below 5k and then there is 4.25 month. Does anyone use them and what is their experience? Thank you.
spitty

Post by spitty »

I was assigned to Optum a few years ago after US Bank dropped out of the HSA biz. With the transfer I was given about a dozen fund choices, all with high fees and less than "optum" (pun) track records. Tried several times calling them unsuccessfully after hearing VG funds were offered to others. So last week I just completed a direct rollover to TD Ameritrade via Lively. Here's a several page Lively thread for you, whitecliff:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=228522&hilit=lively
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I can now update the thread since my transfer went through. No issues so far. I'm using my HSA as a stealth IRA, and I've invested all the money above $2,000 in Schwab Target 2060 Index Fund I SWYNX, 0.08% ER. There is a decent selection of Vanguard funds. My employer is paying all fees with this setup.

They sent me a letter to inform me that I can invest all but $500 for an additional fee. I'll probably pass on that.

Here's a full list. I don't have a list that includes ERs. But if you assume the Schwab funds and the Vanguard funds are the low cost funds, you won't go far wrong.

Code: Select all

American Funds Capital World*	CWGFX	World Stock-Large Value
BlackRock Equity Dividend K	MKDVX	Large Cap Blend
Dodge & Cox Income	DODIX	Intermediate Term Bond
Fidelity Low-Priced Stock	FLPSX	Mid Cap Value
Goldman Sachs Bal Strat - CLOSED: NO ELECTIONS	GIPAX	Allocation
Goldman Sachs Gr & Inc Strat - CLOSED: NO ELECTIONS	GOIAX	Allocation
Goldman Sachs Growth Strat - CLOSED: NO ELECTIONS	GGSAX	Allocation
John Hancock Fundamental Large Cap Core	TAGRX	Equity
John Hancock High Yield A - CLOSED: NO ELECTIONS	JHHBX	Fixed Income
Keeley Small Cap Value - CLOSED: NO ELECTIONS	KSCVX	Equity
Lord Abbett High Yield*	LHYAX	Fixed Income
Neuberger Berman Genesis Fund - INST	NBGIX	Equity
Neuberger Berman Real Estate - CLOSED: NO ELECTIONS	NREAX	Equity
Oppenheimer Developing Markets	ODMAX	International
PIMCO All Asset Fund - CLOSED: NO ELECTIONS	PASAX	Allocation
PIMCO Com Real Return Strat - CLOSED: NO ELECTIONS	PCRAX	Specialty
PIMCO GNMA	PAGNX	Fixed Income
PIMCO Low Duration	PTLAX	Fixed Income
PIMCO Real Return Fund	PRTNX	Fixed Income
PIMCO Stocks Plus Small - CLOSED: NO ELECTIONS	PCKAX	Equity
Schwab Target 2020 Index Fund I	SWYLX	Large Blend
Schwab Target 2030 Index Fund I	SWYEX	Large Blend
Schwab Target 2040 Index Fund I	SWYGX	Large Blend
Schwab Target 2050 Index Fund I	SWYMX	Large Blend
Schwab Target 2060 Index Fund I	SWYNX	Large Blend
T. Rowe Price Blue Chip*	TRBCX	Large Cap Growth Stock
Vanguard Equity-Income - A*	VEIRX	Large Cap Value
Vanguard Extended Market *	VEXAX	Small Cap Growth
Vanguard Global Equity *	VHGEX	World Stock-Large Blend
Vanguard Healthcare*	VGHAX	Alternative Blend
Vanguard Life Strategy-Growth*	VASGX	Aggressive Allocation
Vanguard LifeStrategy-Conservative Growth*	VSCGX	Conservative Allocation
Vanguard LifeStrategy-Moderate Growth*	VSMGX	Moderate Allocation
Vanguard Mid Cap Index - A*	VIMAX	Mid Cap Blend
Vanguard REIT*	VGSLX	Alternative Blend
Vanguard S&P 500 Index - A*	VFIAX	Indexed
Vanguard Small Cap Index - A*	VSMAX	Indexed
Vanguard Total Stock Market *	VTSAX	Large Cap Blend
Vanguard Treasury Money Market	VUSXX	Money Market
Vanguard Wellington - A*	VWENX	Equity
Victory Munder Mid Cap CLOSED: NO ELECTIONS	MGOAX	Equity
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Our HSA plan moved there last year after Wells Fargo exited the HSA business.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."