What is the best home exercise equipment?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Dan-in-Virginia

Re: What is the best home exercise equipment?

Post by Dan-in-Virginia »

I personally bought a Sole E95S Elliptical, SR500 rower, and F85 treadmill this past BlackFriday for 10% below the Black Friday prices (by calling and haggling).

I also bought a Hoist adjustable ab bench, Hoist bench, and Nubell Pro 530 weight set, plus a curling bar.

I’m looking for a recumbent bike, but that will take some time because I’m pretty picky. The seat has to be soft and adjustable. I like to ride for a long time and pedal fast so it needs to be comfortable.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

Gray wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:24 pm I personally bought a Sole E95S Elliptical, SR500 rower, and F85 treadmill this past BlackFriday for 10% below the Black Friday prices (by calling and haggling).

I also bought a Hoist adjustable ab bench, Hoist bench, and Nubell Pro 530 weight set, plus a curling bar.

I’m looking for a recumbent bike, but that will take some time because I’m pretty picky. The seat has to be soft and adjustable. I like to ride for a long time and pedal fast so it needs to be comfortable.
Why in the world would you need all that? Starting a gym?
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Gray wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:24 pm I personally bought a Sole E95S Elliptical, SR500 rower, and F85 treadmill this past BlackFriday for 10% below the Black Friday prices (by calling and haggling).
I like the LifeFitness models at the gym I use.
jibantik

Post by jibantik »

Concept 2 rower (erg). Unbeatable single-equipment workout.
monkey_business

Post by monkey_business »

It's hard to answer what equipment you should buy without knowing your goals. Are you simply trying to elevate your heart rate and just exercise for general health? Are you pursuing a performance goal? Are you after weight loss? Strength gain? Different tools for different jobs...
BBBob

Post by BBBob »

concept2 rower or the Air Assault exercise bike. (see https://shop.assaultfitness.com/product ... ke-classic
and/or https://www.amazon.com/Assault-AirBike- ... B00F74RX40)

Both, but especially the Air bike, give you an unbelievable workout.
Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 »

dm200 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:56 am
I like the LifeFitness models at the gym I use.
My husband works in the fitness industry. Just something to note, the models you use in the gym are generally not available to consumers. Gyms pay a lot more money for them because they have to pass much tighter usage requirements (think how many people use gym equipment). Most companies have entirely separate divisions for home use and commercial use and many are not even under the same company at all, despite having the same name. So research online carefully before buying and don't go by what you might use at a gym.
Topic Author
davidsorensen32

Post by davidsorensen32 »

I bought a concept 2 ! I’ve been using it but even at the highest resistance I find it too easy. After 30 min of rowing I barely break sweat even though I get a somewhat pump in my arms. Anyone knows how to stiffen up the resistance ?

jibantik wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:06 am Concept 2 rower (erg). Unbeatable single-equipment workout.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

davidsorensen32 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:35 am I bought a concept 2 ! I’ve been using it but even at the highest resistance I find it too easy. After 30 min of rowing I barely break sweat even though I get a somewhat pump in my arms. Anyone knows how to stiffen up the resistance ?
jibantik wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:06 am Concept 2 rower (erg). Unbeatable single-equipment workout.
I use a Concept 2 at the gym. There are resistance settings from 1 to 10 (I think). According to what I read, you normally should not set to the highest resistance - but just row more quickly. What setting do you use? Look for online instructions and training videos.

What I see is most folks setting it too high resistance.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

davidsorensen32 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:35 am I bought a concept 2 ! I’ve been using it but even at the highest resistance I find it too easy. After 30 min of rowing I barely break sweat even though I get a somewhat pump in my arms. Anyone knows how to stiffen up the resistance ?

Increase the intensity by rowing more powerfully and increasing the cadence. How difficult it is is a combination of many factors, the level of resistance being only one. I do quite a bit of my "cardio" training on a concept 2, mostly with circuits or basic sprint repeats. If you can do 150m at a 1:25/500m pace, every 90 sec for an extended period (I am usually doing these for ~30min total), then you have a combination of aerobic and anaerobic fitness that few people can match.
feh

Post by feh »

Bacchus01 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:27 pm
Why in the world would you need all that? Starting a gym?
+1

My exercise equipment: inexpensive road bike, free weight bench and running shoes.
jibantik

Post by jibantik »

Based on your comment about the resistance it's likely you aren't doing it right. Read more about form and settings on the concept 2 website they have great resources. It is an absolutely brutal workout. I hope to hit the sub 7 2k some day :sharebeer
CppCoder

Post by CppCoder »

head gamez wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:34 pm After using a C2 Model D off an on over the years at the office gym, we purchased one recently. It really is a great workout and not very expensive compared to other items out there.

I am planning to add their "SkiErg" to basement gym in the next few weeks / months to further compliment the Rower.
I did this (bought a skierg) after a year of rowing. I felt I was overexerting the exact same muscle groups by rowing every day and wanted a different piece of equipment for alternate days. It's help a lot in this respect. For me personally, I find that I'm less exhausted after the skierg, and I'm less sore the next day vs. the rower, but it hits my lungs a lot harder and faster than the rower. I'm not sure if its my build, my acclimation to the rowing, or just how the machines work your body differently. I feel (rightly or wrongly) that I'm less likely to hurt my back with a hip closing exercise than a hip opening exercise, too. Anyway, it was a good purchase, and I enjoy the skierg to, if nothing else, break up the monotony of rowing day after day.
CppCoder

Post by CppCoder »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:55 am Increase the intensity by rowing more powerfully and increasing the cadence. How difficult it is is a combination of many factors, the level of resistance being only one. I do quite a bit of my "cardio" training on a concept 2, mostly with circuits or basic sprint repeats. If you can do 150m at a 1:25/500m pace, every 90 sec for an extended period (I am usually doing these for ~30min total), then you have a combination of aerobic and anaerobic fitness that few people can match.
Wow! If you can do 1:25/500m for any sustainable distance, you're a beast! Based on the Concept2 rankings, the top decile for male rowers over all age groups this season rows 500m in 1:28.6, and that's one 500m burst of giving it everything you've got. My best 2000m ever I only managed a bit under a 2:00/500m, and I'm not in terrible shape for a normal 40 something year old human. Respect!
CppCoder

Post by CppCoder »

Did you buy your rower new or used? I ask because if you bought it used, it could be that the damper is just dirty. You might just need to open the flywheel up and vacuum it? One way to tell is to look at your drag factor on the monitor. Set the monitor to tell you the drag factor and take 3-5 strokes. What is the reading? At my elevation, at a normal indoor temperature, my clean flywheel reads a drag factor of about 100 at a damper setting between 3 and 4. If everything is normal with the flywheel, you're probably just doing something wrong. Aside from form, try to pull harder but slower. To start, aim for a pace of 22-24 strokes per minute with a 2:1 ratio of recovery to drive.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

CppCoder wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:36 pm
stoptothink wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:55 am Increase the intensity by rowing more powerfully and increasing the cadence. How difficult it is is a combination of many factors, the level of resistance being only one. I do quite a bit of my "cardio" training on a concept 2, mostly with circuits or basic sprint repeats. If you can do 150m at a 1:25/500m pace, every 90 sec for an extended period (I am usually doing these for ~30min total), then you have a combination of aerobic and anaerobic fitness that few people can match.
Wow! If you can do 1:25/500m for any sustainable distance, you're a beast! Based on the Concept2 rankings, the top decile for male rowers over all age groups this season rows 500m in 1:28.6, and that's one 500m burst of giving it everything you've got. My best 2000m ever I only managed a bit under a 2:00/500m, and I'm not in terrible shape for a normal 40 something year old human. Respect!
I do 1:25/500m pace for 150m sprints every 90sec for extended periods (~30min), so ~30sec all out and 60sec rest. Yes, I am capable of a single sub 1:30 500m, but I am toast. FWIW, fitness is a huge part of my life and career (chief health and exercise scientist for a large health company), and being photographed and filmed exercising is an awkward, but regular, part of my job; if I am not on the very far right of the bell curve when it comes to things of this nature, then I need to find a new line of work.
CppCoder

Post by CppCoder »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:37 am
I do 1:25/500m pace for 150m sprints every 90sec for extended periods (~30min), so ~30sec all out and 60sec rest. Yes, I am capable of a single sub 1:30 500m, but I am toast. FWIW, fitness is a huge part of my life and career (chief health and exercise scientist for a large health company), and being photographed and filmed exercising is an awkward, but regular, part of my job; if I am not on the very far right of the bell curve when it comes to things of this nature, then I need to find a new line of work.
I didn't doubt your fitness level, I was just trying to call attention to your level of fitness for others reading this thread who might not have an appreciation for the difficulty of your feat on a Concept2 rower. I originally read your post as advice for a performance target for a beginner rower. I thought that you may be so fit that maybe you've lost sight of the fitness level of the average person getting onto that machine and what a realistic target for him or her might be. I was pointing out that you were giving a good target for an Olympic level athlete. Yes, you did say it was a fitness level that few people can match, but I really think, in this case, that's understating it.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

CppCoder wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:40 am
stoptothink wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:37 am
I didn't doubt your fitness level, I was just trying to call attention to your level of fitness for others reading this thread who might not have an appreciation for the difficulty of your feat on a Concept2 rower. I originally read your post as advice for a performance target for a beginner rower. I thought that you may be so fit that maybe you've lost sight of the fitness level of the average person getting onto that machine and what a realistic target for him or her might be. I was pointing out that you were giving a good target for an Olympic level athlete. Yes, you did say it was a fitness level that few people can match, but I really think, in this case, that's understating it.
I was not suggesting my performance level as a target, was simply confused as to how the poster I was responding to couldn't manage to get a "good workout" on a rower no matter what they tried. Rowing can be absolutely brutal and is one of the best tools to really separate the average person from those with truly elite levels of fitness. No matter what the movement or implement, there are a number of factors involved in intensity; you can get a great workout with any tool (or no tools at all).We're on the same page.
CppCoder

Post by CppCoder »

stoptothink wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:49 am I was not suggesting my performance level as a target, was simply confused as to how the poster I was responding to couldn't manage to get a "good workout" on a rower no matter what they tried. Rowing can be absolutely brutal and is one of the best tools to really separate the average person from those with truly elite levels of fitness. No matter what the movement or implement, there are a number of factors involved in intensity; you can get a great workout with any tool (or no tools at all).We're on the same page.
I agree. I also don't understand what was going on for that poster. As I posted above, it may be something wrong with the damper.

I love my Concept2 rower. I can get a really good cardio workout in my house in 20-30 minutes. I also like that, essentially, you get out of it what you put into it. It is a wonderful tool for any fitness level. It can be as easy as you need it to be as a beginner, and it's still challenging for someone at your level. Your fitness level can't outgrow it, and other than some expected soreness, I've essentially been injury free using it. The same goes for my skierg. Both were very good purchases.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

My home workout equipment consists of:
1. Trek bike
2. 20# and 25 # kettlebells.
3. Resistance bands

Due to climate, I seldom ride outside from November thru April and go to YMCA for workout. I really like the Expresso stationary bike which features a computer screen with courses to ride. This is as close to an outdoor ride as I have experienced.

Not sure if it available for home use or just gym. Good machine.

Ed
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

i would vote concept 2. I have to get off the rower to stretch my lower back quite normally, but assume that's a good thing.
island

Post by island »

I don't think there is a best, it depends on the individual.
We have several pieces of gym equipment, but our Precor treadmill gets the most use by far and has been the most reliable for years.
Secondary, my spouse likes the elliptical and I 'll use the Lifecycle, but it's a distant second in my case.
Spouse likes some exercises on our weight machine and free weights. I sometimes do the full circuit on the weight machine and prefer resistance bands over free weights.
I still like using my Reebok step too.
head gamez

Post by head gamez »

CppCoder wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:26 pm
head gamez wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:34 pm After using a C2 Model D off an on over the years at the office gym, we purchased one recently. It really is a great workout and not very expensive compared to other items out there.

I am planning to add their "SkiErg" to basement gym in the next few weeks / months to further compliment the Rower.
I did this (bought a skierg) after a year of rowing. I felt I was overexerting the exact same muscle groups by rowing every day and wanted a different piece of equipment for alternate days. It's help a lot in this respect. For me personally, I find that I'm less exhausted after the skierg, and I'm less sore the next day vs. the rower, but it hits my lungs a lot harder and faster than the rower. I'm not sure if its my build, my acclimation to the rowing, or just how the machines work your body differently. I feel (rightly or wrongly) that I'm less likely to hurt my back with a hip closing exercise than a hip opening exercise, too. Anyway, it was a good purchase, and I enjoy the skierg to, if nothing else, break up the monotony of rowing day after day.
I think I have the CFO on board now, so it might show up on Friday. I'm enjoying the tower more than I remember (averaging 6k M per day), so the SkiErg should be a great compliment.
CppCoder

Post by CppCoder »

linuxology wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:26 pm i would vote concept 2. I have to get off the rower to stretch my lower back quite normally, but assume that's a good thing.
I stretch my back both before and after to keep loose, but you shouldn't *have* to stretch during the exercise because of pain. Your form could be a little off. I found that when my back hurt, the best diagnostic was to row without strapping my feet in. I tried rowing strapless, and I essentially tossed myself off the back of the machine. I realized I was probably swinging my hips back too hard and too far. The straps would hold me in, but the sudden stop sort of jerked my back. It wasn't really noticeable other than my lower back was getting sore. Even subtle form problems can cause pain points. Once I was able to control myself without the straps, I realized that I wasn't flinging myself backward so much, and it improved my back discomfort. I still find rowing strapless to be a good 3-5 minute warm-up to remind myself of how I want my stroke to feel. Another thing is to ensure that you aren't rounding your back and pulling through your back. Make sure you keep your back straight and just bend at the hips.
CppCoder

Post by CppCoder »

head gamez wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:04 pm I think I have the CFO on board now, so it might show up on Friday. I'm enjoying the tower more than I remember (averaging 6k M per day), so the SkiErg should be a great compliment.
Some pieces of advice:
  • Have someone help you with the assembly. I did it solo, but there were a few points that having an assistant would have been really useful.
  • Don't assume that your rowing endurance translates directly to the SkiErg. Take it easy at first.
  • Keep your elbows bent through the stroke. If you don't, you'll feel it...
  • Try to keep your wrist as straight as possible. If you don't, you'll feel it...
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

The best home exercise equipment is the one you will use regularly.
The worse home exercise equipment is the one you use for a little while at first then it gathers dust.
IE: sometimes you end up using the $20 Therabands more than the $$ Bowflex.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
head gamez

Post by head gamez »

CppCoder wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:47 pm
head gamez wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:04 pm I think I have the CFO on board now, so it might show up on Friday. I'm enjoying the tower more than I remember (averaging 6k M per day), so the SkiErg should be a great compliment.
Some pieces of advice:
  • Have someone help you with the assembly. I did it solo, but there were a few points that having an assistant would have been really useful.
  • Don't assume that your rowing endurance translates directly to the SkiErg. Take it easy at first.
  • Try to keep your wrist as straight as possible. If you don't, you'll feel it...
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, as with everything, I'll have to assemble myself. I did get the stand, so don't have to deal with mounting it to the wall.

Ordered it today, so it will be here Wednesday.
bhusa

Post by bhusa »

indispensable accessory other than heart rate monitor: digital metronome.
I have 4 indoor cycles, Treadmill, and C-2, I have my Schwinn Airdyne indoor bike for 38 years, each time I cycle 10000 miles I reward myself by buying another indoor cycles, but invariably I go back to my Schwinn Airdyne. I use the digital metronome to pace myself in biking, rowing, and rope jumping. In fact I used two metronomes with different tones together to do interval workout.
ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus »

The $650 (from Costco) 2-year membership at the 24-hour fitness supersport located 1 mile from my house. Perfect walking distance. Variety of equipment. Doesn’t use space in my house. I enjoy listening to podcasts, audio books, or great courses during the round trip.

At various times I had a treadmill or stationary bicycle in my house. Always got bored and eventually got rid of each.
mancich

Post by mancich »

We have a simple home gym in the basement, with free weights and several pairs of dumbbells, a treadmill, and plenty of floor space to do core work. Plus a TV to stream Netflix, etc to pass the time while working out. Gets the job done.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

bhusa wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:40 pm indispensable accessory other than heart rate monitor: digital metronome.
I have 4 indoor cycles, Treadmill, and C-2, I have my Schwinn Airdyne indoor bike for 38 years, each time I cycle 10000 miles I reward myself by buying another indoor cycles, but invariably I go back to my Schwinn Airdyne. I use the digital metronome to pace myself in biking, rowing, and rope jumping. In fact I used two metronomes with different tones together to do interval workout.
Everybody has their own way of doing things I guess. Just pointing out the literal definition of indispensable is "absolutely necessary." As a health and fitness professional, who does scientific research on the topic for a living; I find both tools almost useless, but I am glad you find value in them.
head gamez

Post by head gamez »

head gamez wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:34 pm
CppCoder wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:47 pm
Some pieces of advice:
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, as with everything, I'll have to assemble myself. I did get the stand, so don't have to deal with mounting it to the wall.

Ordered it today, so it will be here Wednesday.
As planned, it arrived today. I assembled it during lunch break and then did my first workout. I did 10 minutes on the skierg followed by a 5k row (was pressed for time). The skierg had me sweating and burning in no time. Looking forward to building up to longer time / distance on it.

I did 10k on the rower the last two days and was a little sore. In a good way.
queso

Post by queso »

I have a Peloton, a Balanced Body Allegro 2 pilates reformer and a Century BOB XL. Not as good as a heavy bag, but takes up less space and easier to move around. These get used daily by myself or a family member. When the weather is warmer I don't use them much since I prefer cycling and mountain biking outdoors. As Sandtrap pointed out, the best home exercise equipment is something you enjoy using and will use regularly. We belonged to Equinox and a climbing gym for a while and although it was really nice it was like a second commute to have to go to the gym so it failed my criteria of "something I was using regularly" so I dropped it and bought a few pieces of equipment that I knew I would use at home.
head gamez

Post by head gamez »

queso wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:56 am I have a Peloton, a Balanced Body Allegro 2 pilates reformer and a Century BOB XL. Not as good as a heavy bag, but takes up less space and easier to move around. These get used daily by myself or a family member. When the weather is warmer I don't use them much since I prefer cycling and mountain biking outdoors. As Sandtrap pointed out, the best home exercise equipment is something you enjoy using and will use regularly. We belonged to Equinox and a climbing gym for a while and although it was really nice it was like a second commute to have to go to the gym so it failed my criteria of "something I was using regularly" so I dropped it and bought a few pieces of equipment that I knew I would use at home.
How do you like the Peloton? I’ve read some mixed reviews on it. I ride road and mountain bike too. I didn’t get much riding in the last year due to spending so much time out of town for work. I missed my normal winter night rides entirely except for one this winter. Hoping schedule slows down a little so I can get back out before the time changes.
queso

Post by queso »

head gamez wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:19 am
queso wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:56 am I have a Peloton, a Balanced Body Allegro 2 pilates reformer and a Century BOB XL. Not as good as a heavy bag, but takes up less space and easier to move around. These get used daily by myself or a family member. When the weather is warmer I don't use them much since I prefer cycling and mountain biking outdoors. As Sandtrap pointed out, the best home exercise equipment is something you enjoy using and will use regularly. We belonged to Equinox and a climbing gym for a while and although it was really nice it was like a second commute to have to go to the gym so it failed my criteria of "something I was using regularly" so I dropped it and bought a few pieces of equipment that I knew I would use at home.
How do you like the Peloton? I’ve read some mixed reviews on it. I ride road and mountain bike too. I didn’t get much riding in the last year due to spending so much time out of town for work. I missed my normal winter night rides entirely except for one this winter. Hoping schedule slows down a little so I can get back out before the time changes.
I like it quite a bit, but it's not for everybody. I have had a stationary trainer for my road bike for years and the Peloton is exponentially better than that. From the mechanical side I don't have to change the rear wheel to my training wheel, resistance is much easier to adjust while riding, the Peloton already has cadence, heart rate, power meter, etc. so no bike computers/Garmins/power meters to buy/fiddle with. The biggest advantage over my trainer is that it is many multiples quieter. With my trainer nobody could be near me when using it due to the noise the rollers make. With the Peloton my family watches TV about 15' from me when riding and aren't bothered at all if I am wearing headphones (even when climbing out of the saddle).

From a tech standpoint it is pretty good. Is it the same as an Equinox/Peloton/SoulCycle spinning class? No. It's not the same energy level you get from a live class, but it does a good job keeping you motivated and pushing yourself by tracking your wattage vs. all the other riders in the class so you can compete against your previous rides or against others on the same ride via the leaderboard. You can take live classes if you want, but I usually just browse the 4000+ prerecorded classes for what I am looking for (30 mins, 45 mins, intervals, hills, low impact, whatever) and then start when my schedule permits. All your metrics are recorded and are viewable historically either from the 22" android display that comes with the bike or on Peloton's website (HR, cadence, watts, time, resistance, etc.).

From an overall standpoint the biggest advantage is that it is a portable spinning class vs. me sitting on my trainer with an iPod cranking out miles. As you know, that gets real boring real fast. Especially if you are training for longer rides (centuries, tris, etc.). Doing multiple hours on a trainer is excruciating, but taking part in a spin class virtually with an instructor calling out cadence, climbs, resistance, etc. is much more engaging so the workouts are more fun and go by much faster. The instructors are all good too. You can search for classes by length, music genre, type of music, etc. so there really is something for everybody. TL;DR - if you like spin classes then you will like the Peloton. It's not the same as real cycling, but when it is 20 degrees out I'll take the Peloton any day. :happy
head gamez

Post by head gamez »

Thanks for the review. I’ve logged some miles on the trainer, but as a bigger (heavier) guy, I always just resort to steady state spinning due to being afraid of hammering the carbon frame while mounted. As you know, the steady state stuff is incredibly boring. It will be a while before I can convince the CFO to let me purchase another piece of equipment, but when the time comes I will look at the peloton.

I picked up a new cross bike off bikes direct in 2016 with the intention of mounting it on the trainer, but it rides better than my Roubaix, so I am thinking of selling the Roubaix.
queso

Post by queso »

head gamez wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:59 am Thanks for the review. I’ve logged some miles on the trainer, but as a bigger (heavier) guy, I always just resort to steady state spinning due to being afraid of hammering the carbon frame while mounted. As you know, the steady state stuff is incredibly boring. It will be a while before I can convince the CFO to let me purchase another piece of equipment, but when the time comes I will look at the peloton.

I picked up a new cross bike off bikes direct in 2016 with the intention of mounting it on the trainer, but it rides better than my Roubaix, so I am thinking of selling the Roubaix.
yeah...they aren't the most stable either. I've almost tipped over a few times climbing. Congrats on the new bike! When I was riding my trainer I was on a Tarmac Expert so similar experience to yours I'm sure. The Peloton is no replacement for hitting the road, but it's kinda fun and will keep me in cycling shape for when the weather improves. The other factor is darkness. I'm not a huge fan of cycling after dark and well before it gets too cold to bike it gets dark too early (for me anyway). Being able to log miles at home allows me to ride every night after work even when it gets dark before I get home. Good luck!
splishsplash

Post by splishsplash »

Any of you actually thought about real rowing, in a boat. I bought an Edon TS515 training scull a couple of years ago after 15 years sitting on rowing machines. It's a night and day change, I row 4 or 5 times a week when the lake isn't frozen, it's just addictive and keeps me fitter than the concept 2 I had in the home office. The boat was not expensive and is easy to use but fast and a lot of fun. I would recommend these to anyone.

Website is virginiarowing.com
InvisibleAerobar

Post by InvisibleAerobar »

head gamez wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:59 am Thanks for the review. I’ve logged some miles on the trainer, but as a bigger (heavier) guy, I always just resort to steady state spinning due to being afraid of hammering the carbon frame while mounted. As you know, the steady state stuff is incredibly boring. It will be a while before I can convince the CFO to let me purchase another piece of equipment, but when the time comes I will look at the peloton.

There is another alternative, and someone upthread mentioned the usage of Zwift. I'm a late adopter, but I've come to appreciate it. My old routine was to watch classics bike races while riding my rollers (with mag resistance), and I've done 3.5 hr rides on it. Not great, but it gets me through.

Doing zwift with a smart trainer (I have a cycleops hammer) has been quite the improvement, and the unit has really good road feel. I thought resistance on my rollers were good (in the sense I can hit my outdoor power), but the Cycleops is up there and miles ahead of traditional fluid trainers. The Cycleops Hammer cost half as much as the Peloton, and you basically duplicate your exact riding geometry; the monthly fee for zwift is less than half of Peloton as well.

The best part is that it has a group ride/race feature. While the set-up still needs work (drafting isn't implemented well), it really reduces the issue of boredom and at least does an admirable job of replicating a group ride/race. I think it's $10 well spent.

Not sure if you train with power, but I'd be suspicious of power meter on the peloton indoor cycle. As the teething problems at Quarq, Pioneer, P2max, and Stages have shown, just because something has a power meter doesn't mean the thing is accurate. Furthermore, the spin class style of blitzing a short segment and then easing back is detrimental to actual road cycling. Once a week as a substitute for Tabatas is perhaps fine, but long term, it doesn't lead to aerobic gains. In which case, we get back to square one of long riding indoors, which zwift handles admirably.
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

tludwig23 wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:17 am
leehamster wrote: If you get a rower, get the best one: http://www.concept2.com/indoor-rowers. This is what gyms, college teams and rowing clubs use. I've had two, they work great and last many years. The Model D is just fine, but at $900 it's more expensive than the Costco one you linked to. I haven't rowed the Costco one, but I've rowed Water Rowers and lots of other junk over the year. Concept 2 is by far the best choice. (If you are a real rowing geek, Row Perfect is another possible choice. http://rp3rowingusa.com/)
The Concept 2 is well worth the money, if you use it. Very reliable, very durable. Great online community, allows you to compare your results thousands of others. Great customer support. I rowed on the Row Perfect. I liked the feel, but overall thought they were unreliable, and vastly overpriced.
+1 for a Concept 2. I've had mine since 2000 and it is used a lot and still seems new to me. Rowing gives me a great overall workout and can turn you into butter on the cardio side in a few minutes if you want it to. I'll also add that rowing doesn't give me the mental grind that other machines do. Its easy to get bored (if you're me) on a treadmill or stair machine, but never on my Concept 2.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

A yoga mat :P
queso

Post by queso »

InvisibleAerobar wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:02 pm Furthermore, the spin class style of blitzing a short segment and then easing back is detrimental to actual road cycling. Once a week as a substitute for Tabatas is perhaps fine, but long term, it doesn't lead to aerobic gains. In which case, we get back to square one of long riding indoors, which zwift handles admirably.
This was the main reason I said "it isn't for everybody". Spinning is a different animal than actual road cycling (slow twitch and all that) so I do agree that a good spinner does not a good cyclist make (and vice versa). I just use it to keep me from getting too fat in the off season. :happy
Hillview

Post by Hillview »

Have not read all the replies. We have a Concept2 rower and a Peloton bike. Both are used often. Depends on what you like in a routine. We've had the bike for about 5 years, it is used 4 times or more a week and has held up very well. The C2 is super reliable. Our gym has about a dozen of them and other than replacing a better every year or so they never break.
head gamez

Post by head gamez »

3504PIR wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:13 pm +1 for a Concept 2. I've had mine since 2000 and it is used a lot and still seems new to me. Rowing gives me a great overall workout and can turn you into butter on the cardio side in a few minutes if you want it to. I'll also add that rowing doesn't give me the mental grind that other machines do. Its easy to get bored (if you're me) on a treadmill or stair machine, but never on my Concept 2.
The Rower isn't a mental grind for me, but I usually watch TV while using it. I've had the SkiErg for a week now and have logged a few 5ks on it (intervals and straight up), and to me the time goes by much faster than even the rower. No TV while on the SkiErg and the time still seems to fly by.
Topic Author
davidsorensen32

Post by davidsorensen32 »

Brand new kit. I don't understand all the metrics (sorry my bad, haven't yet gone through their website) - but here are screenshots of my performance. 30 minutes each. What does each of them mean ? How am I doing ?

Day 1

Day 5

CppCoder wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:44 pm
Did you buy your rower new or used? I ask because if you bought it used, it could be that the damper is just dirty. You might just need to open the flywheel up and vacuum it? One way to tell is to look at your drag factor on the monitor. Set the monitor to tell you the drag factor and take 3-5 strokes. What is the reading? At my elevation, at a normal indoor temperature, my clean flywheel reads a drag factor of about 100 at a damper setting between 3 and 4. If everything is normal with the flywheel, you're probably just doing something wrong. Aside from form, try to pull harder but slower. To start, aim for a pace of 22-24 strokes per minute with a 2:1 ratio of recovery to drive.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

davidsorensen32 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:11 am Brand new kit. I don't understand all the metrics (sorry my bad, haven't yet gone through their website) - but here are screenshots of my performance. 30 minutes each. What does each of them mean ? How am I doing ?

Day 1

Day 5

CppCoder wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:44 pm
Total time, average time per 500m interval, total meters rowed, and strokes/minute. I don't know that I can objectively provide an opinion on "how well you are doing" considering rowing is a very small component of my overall training program, but I am on the very far right side of the bell curve as far as overall fitness.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

davidsorensen32 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:11 am Brand new kit. I don't understand all the metrics (sorry my bad, haven't yet gone through their website) - but here are screenshots of my performance. 30 minutes each. What does each of them mean ? How am I doing ?

Day 1

Day 5

Have you tried just rowing faster? 2:53 is a pretty slow pace. Going 20-30s faster/500 might be enough to bump you into an aerobic training zone. I don't know what your rowing history is but watching a couple of videos on the technique might help. And of course if this machine feels way easier at home than in the store, you might want it looked at.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

davidsorensen32 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:04 pm Any other recommendations ?
A hand saw and a yard full of trees needing pruning. Trust me. You’ll get your cardio. :twisted:
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

randomguy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:08 pm

Day 1

Day 5

Have you tried just rowing faster? 2:53 is a pretty slow pace. Going 20-30s faster/500 might be enough to bump you into an aerobic training zone. I don't know what your rowing history is but watching a couple of videos on the technique might help. And of course if this machine feels way easier at home than in the store, you might want it looked at.
Gonna be honest, I don't know that I've ever seen anybody actually row that slow on a Concept 2; even for very extended periods. I prefer a faster cadence, more in the 30-32rpm range when I am doing longer sessions, but I think that is more about where you feel comfortable. Either way, it appears that it is simply a matter of increasing the intensity.