Digital alarm clock suggestions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Digital alarm clock suggestions?

Post by nisiprius »

I thought the $20 Emerson "SmartSet" clock I bought a couple of years ago was the clock o' my dreams but it has started to malfunction, so I want a replacement. Here are the desiderata. Any suggestions?

Must-haves:

a) Easy to set, by which I mean it must have either four dedicated buttons for "ahead one hour, back one hour, ahead one minute, back one minute," OR a full ten-digit keypad for keying in the time with digit by digit (just like the clock on our microwave). I refuse to tolerate leaning on a button, and watching the time crawl forward, then suddenly accelerate to warp speed, overshoot the desired time, cuss, lather, rinse, repeat.

b) Good battery backup. Must not forget the time or gain/lose a detectable amount during a power outage.

c) Trivially easy to silence the alarm completely by swatting one big obvious button. I don't really care whether or not the clock has a snooze setting, but it MUST NOT be easy to mistakenly snooze the alarm when I meant to turn it off.

Nice-to-haves:

d) A minimum of features. The problem is not unused features, it's the profusion of extra buttons needed to control them. For example, I would prefer that there only be ONE alarm setting. I would actually prefer that it NOT have a crappy FM radio in it. Or an iPod port, or USB, or Bluetooth, or a headphone jack, or the ability to buy things over the Internet that it thinks I should have.

e) Some easy-to-interpret AM/PM indicator that doesn't require me to remember at night that the bright dot means "AM" when I can't see the unlit "AM" label. (Believe it or not, the Emerson overloads a single LED to mean both "before noon" and "AM radio band.")

The charm of the SmartSet is that if you happen to live in the Eastern time zone, it comes out of the box knowing the time, the date, and the dates of the time change, so in theory it never needs to be set. However it has acquired a habit of mysteriously going nuts and flipping to a random time several times a week, and I have already wasted more time re-setting it than it has saved me on the four or six times it has automatically sprung ahead and fallen back.

(I've thought about just using my smartphone but I can't figure out details like how to keep it continuously lit at a very dim level or how to prop it at a good viewing angle...)
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Angelus359

Re: Digital alarm clock suggestions?

Post by Angelus359 »

If you want minimal buttons you could get an Amazon Alexa echo dot, and use that as an alarm
Systems Engineer
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Sorry no recommendations. I use my cell phone!
open_circuit

Post by open_circuit »

I've been using the same Sony ICF C26 for about 30 years. It meets all of your criteria except for the "reverse time" buttons. I don't find this to be an issue, but I have had quite some time to become acclimated to this particular clock. Works great. It appears e-bay has some listed for ~$16.

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/sony_drea ... f_c26.html
PowDay

Post by PowDay »

This alarm clock is dead simple, pricy but worth every penny.

The dial is super easy to use for setting the time, the dial is also the button for turning off the alarm with once easy swat.

You can also dim the display down to nothing if you need to sleep in the dark.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0178ECW6A/
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Angelus359 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:40 am If you want minimal buttons you could get an Amazon Alexa echo dot, and use that as an alarm

+1 I haven't seen an alarm clock that has all your must haves.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Sounds like you should get a mechanical rather digital alarm clock.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

We have this one:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sharp-SPC570-C ... SwnGJWS6SH

The alarm clock is on my side of the bed. My wife did not like that she could not see the time because I would turn off the back light on our previous alarm clock. It was bright during the night.

This one projects the time on the ceiling. It is very light and at any time either of us can see the time. Just look up. :wink:

Basic alarm functions. We wake to a nature sound.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

PowDay wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:29 am This alarm clock is dead simple, pricy but worth every penny.

The dial is super easy to use for setting the time, the dial is also the button for turning off the alarm with once easy swat.

You can also dim the display down to nothing if you need to sleep in the dark.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0178ECW6A/
Thank you very much! That looks just like what I want. I'm going to take a chance on the $40 CubieWink being the same as a $60 CubieTime minus AC power outlets. Well... actually... the realtime chat rep at the Brandstand site just confirmed that. And while it is pricy, "made for hotels" holds out the hope that it's a durable product.

I love that not only does it spell out "AM" and "PM" on the lighted displays, but that there is a duplicate little display that tells you how the alarm is set if it's set, and displays OFF if it isn't.

Thanks to everyone who answered. I just pushed the "buy" button at Amazon so if there's anything better I don't want to know about it.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
ArcticMike

Post by ArcticMike »

The Philips Wake-up Light (several variations over the years) is a wonderful enhancement of a standard alarm clock. Wakes me up gradually and I usually get up before the sound kicks in like a standard alarm. It's even healthier; there's some limited data supporting its use as part of light therapy.

It isn't ultra-simple to program but it does work well, is less disruptive for the non-waking spouse and has an internal backup (I've gone over 24 hours without losing the programming).
marc in merrimack

Post by marc in merrimack »

nisiprius wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:38 am {...}
Thanks to everyone who answered. I just pushed the "buy" button at Amazon so if there's anything better I don't want to know about it.
Can we get a review after you've received it?
PowDay

Post by PowDay »

I hope you enjoy it, it's definitely built to hotel standards, the power cord is super think, and the whole clock is heavy in way you don't see anymore with consumer electronics.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

nisiprius wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:38 am
Um, you may not want to know the following info, but...

I use this alarm about 100 days a year, because it's the alarm used at the hotel where I stay for one of my part time jobs.

It's nice except for three things that bug me.

1) The big round button is the ALARM OFF button. Just in front of that is a flat button for snooze. I actually use the snooze a good bit, but have accidentally turned the alarm off unintentionally. Not good. But it seems this would not be a concern for you.

2) To set the alarm, you push down the top button, and it automatically sets the alarm for 6 am. Then you have to rotate the button one way or the other to set the alarm time. But the "steps" are small. If you have to set the alarm for 6pm for some reason, you'll be turning the dial for a long time! It you turn too fast and press the button (rather than turn) you have start all over again! Aaargh.

3) The power cords on the back is MASSIVELY thick and doesn't really do turns well. This makes tweaking the viewing angle tough. Essentially, the power cord needs to go straight back and then make subtle turns towards the power outlet. I've had to use heavy objects behind it on the nightstand or on the floor in order for it to stay on the nightstand in the spot I want, at the angle I want.

Anyway, enjoy!! :wink:

Edit to add: This product is basically the same clock, with a regular cord and without the power outlets on top: https://www.amazon.com/CubieWink-Chargi ... Src=detail

Another Edit. I checked the manual, and there are two features I did not know of!

1) "(Alarm will automatically set to last selected alarm time after 6 seconds)" This will save me a lot of dial turning!

2) There is a "Single Day Alarm Mode" HIDDEN in the battery compartment (which I think is locked with a screw in my hotel). "In Single Day Alarm On Mode: alarm time will reset to 6:00am with every activation of the alarm. In Single Day Alarm Off Mode: the alarm time will default back to the last set alarm time with every activation."

This info is going to save me about 45 seconds every day, 100 days a year. That's 12 hours of my life, saved, over the next 10 years. Awesome.
Last edited by neurosphere on Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
Toons

Post by Toons »

Angelus359 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:40 am If you want minimal buttons you could get an Amazon Alexa echo dot, and use that as an alarm

Bingo.
That is what we use :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Pajamas wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:39 am Sounds like you should get a mechanical rather digital alarm clock.
This ^^^

I've been using a reissue of the classic Westclox "Moonbeam" alarm clock. More than $20, but worth it, IMHO. The big analog dial makes it readable even without glasses, and it looks great on the bedside table.
  • Easy-to-set? Just turn a knob until the the little metal hand is when you want to wake up.
  • Battery back-up? Yup. It has run fine through lengthy power outages.
  • Big obvious button? Yes, but it's for the snooze. To turn the alarm off you use an easy-to-find slider switch on the back. Not quite as swattable, but there's no way you could confuse snooze for off.
  • Minimum of features? Yes. Although it does have a "wake to light" feature that I didn't think I needed... but turned out to be really cool. I think they make them with USB ports now too, to charge your phone with. But no radio or wi-fi or anything fancy like that.
  • Sensible AM/PM indicator? It's analog. No indicator needed. The alarm goes off at either the AM and PM version of the alarm time, as long as the alarm is turned on. It's a superior system, unless you plan on sleeping for more than 12 hours in a row. :-)
Now if the Moonbeam isn't your style, there are plenty of other good analog alarm clocks, including reissues of other classic models like the Big Ben.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

JupiterJones wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:27 pm
Pajamas wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:39 am Sounds like you should get a mechanical rather digital alarm clock.
This ^^^

I've been using a reissue of the classic Westclox "Moonbeam" alarm clock. More than $20, but worth it, IMHO. The big analog dial makes it readable even without glasses, and it looks great on the bedside table.
  • Easy-to-set? Just turn a knob until the the little metal hand is when you want to wake up.
  • Battery back-up? Yup. It has run fine through lengthy power outages.
  • Big obvious button? Yes, but it's for the snooze. To turn the alarm off you use an easy-to-find slider switch on the back. Not quite as swattable, but there's no way you could confuse snooze for off.
  • Minimum of features? Yes. Although it does have a "wake to light" feature that I didn't think I needed... but turned out to be really cool. I think they make them with USB ports now too, to charge your phone with. But no radio or wi-fi or anything fancy like that.
  • Sensible AM/PM indicator? It's analog. No indicator needed. The alarm goes off at either the AM and PM version of the alarm time, as long as the alarm is turned on. It's a superior system, unless you plan on sleeping for more than 12 hours in a row. :-)
Now if the Moonbeam isn't your style, there are plenty of other good analog alarm clocks, including reissues of other classic models like the Big Ben.
He already bought an alarm clock, see above.
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

neurosphere wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:53 amEdit to add: The CubieWink is basically the same clock, with a regular cord and without the power outlets on top...
The CubieWink is actually the one I've ordered. Mostly because $40 is cheaper than $60, and I don't need the outlets.

The Alexa is a nonstarter for too many reasons to list... one being that as nearly as I can tell it isn't even a clock. What do you do, say "Alexa, what time is it?" And "Alexa, what time did I set the alarm for?" And "Alexa, shut off the &**%@ alarm." "I'm sorry, Nisi, I didn't understand that." "SHUT OFF THE &**%@ ALARM, YOU CLITTERING CLANKING COLLECTION OF CALIGINOUS JUNK, OR I'LL USE YOU FOR A BEEHIVE." "I'm sorry, Nisi, I didn't understand that."

Anything mechanical or with an analog dial is a nonstarter. Believe me, I've used Baby Bens and Big Bens ("first it whispers, then it shouts") for decade. I put that stuff behind me in the 1970s and I ain't going back. Although it was cool scraping the luminous paint off the hands and putting it under a microscope.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

My main alarm is a Casio W-800H watch. It's comfortable enough to wear 24/7. Its large display is readable at night. Good illumination feature. Has a "Snooze Alarm" to pester you until you wake up.

I previously used my phone as an alarm, but it has frozen during the night a couple times, leading to some embarrassing sleeping in during the work week. :-) My watch hasn't crashed yet. It has a ten year battery.

Yes, it's unconventional, but I find it ideal.
ram

Post by ram »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Advance-Alarm- ... 3318142654

Advance alarm clock Model 4081. I bought it at Walmart or something similar for maybe $10. It seems to be exactly what you want.

Using it for last 12 years. Not available now (as new) when I searched on the net.
Ram
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

nisiprius wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:14 am e) Some easy-to-interpret AM/PM indicator that doesn't require me to remember at night that the bright dot means "AM" when I can't see the unlit "AM" label. (Believe it or not, the Emerson overloads a single LED to mean both "before noon" and "AM radio band.")
Use the 24 hour setting, like all sane people.
nisiprius wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:14 am
The charm of the SmartSet is that if you happen to live in the Eastern time zone, it comes out of the box knowing the time, the date, and the dates of the time change, so in theory it never needs to be set.
Can't be done. No man's life, liberty or implementation of daylight saving time is safe while the legislature is in session. Best solution is to synchronize to WWB or similar.
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 »

I went through 3 different digital alarm clocks in a span of about 2 years. They all were highly rated on Amazon, but they all had issues. One was too loud and there was no way to lower the volume. One started going off at 0300 and the only way to shut it off was to pull the plug out of the wall. :x The other one had a problem that I do not recall.

So, I gave up on alarm clocks and started using my Iphone. It is the most versatile alarm I have ever used. I have one alarm set for weekdays, one for Sat, and one for Sun. It is very easy to change the time of an existing alarm or add a new alarm. You can choose from dozens of different tones and set the volume to the perfect level you want. I also have the 'do not disturb' option set on the phone for my normal sleeping hours. It does allow calls from contacts, but silences all texts.
westcoast

Post by westcoast »

I use an Echo dot (alexa) which sits in a ihome iavsi bedside speaker. It is the size of my old alarm clock and works great. It has large numbers which can be dimmed to very bright to completely off. To set the alarm just tell alexa the time and your all set. If you don't want to look at the clock just ask alexa what time it is and go back to sleep. It has worked flawlessly for me.
p14175

Post by p14175 »

Look for one with a red display. It won't mess up your night vision. If you find one you like, but it isn't red, cover the display with automotive Tail/Parking Light Repair Tape.
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

I realize that nisi already bought an alarm clock, but I'm another who, despite being old-fashioned in many ways (I wear a wristwatch, I use a VCR, and I reconcile my paper checkbook), has switched to using my cell phone as an alarm clock.

I got my first smartphone in the fall. A few things I like about using it as an alarm:

(1) I can set the phone to "do not disturb, except for the alarm".

(2) When I set the alarm, it tells me how many hours and minutes until it goes off (reduces the chance of AM/PM mishaps).

(3) The default is 3 snoozes at 5 minute intervals, but that can be modified.

(4) One thing I really like: the snooze is a tap, but turning off the alarm is a swipe (big red X, you can't miss it). On my previous phone, a couple of times I turned off when I meant to snooze. That really can't happen with my current phone.

(5) I can push a side button if I want to know what time it is during the night.
spoco79

Post by spoco79 »

I know that its probably overkill, but I bought an Amazon Echo Show and use it as an alarm clock in addition to all of its other capabilities.
Shikoku

Post by Shikoku »

I once used an alarm clock at a Hilton Hotel. It has a separate display for the alarm set time. Two AM/PM displays are also illuminated. This is the best one that I have used so far. I liked it very much. They told that it can be ordered at their website. Seems it is still available.

Hilton LCD Alarm Clock
https://www.hiltontohome.com/product.as ... larm-Clock

-- Multi-function backlit negative LCD with adjustable brightness
-- 8 levels of display brightness controlled by snooze button
-- Ascending alarm volume
"I don't worry too much about pointing fingers at the past. I operate on the theory that every saint has a past, every sinner has a future." -- Warren Buffett
clown

Post by clown »

Use your cell phone of Fitbit if you have one.
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

A bit thank-you to Neurosphere for suggesting the CubieWink. I've lived with it long enough now to say it's very very close to being exactly what I wanted.

The only thing I haven't tested yet in real life is timekeeping accuracy during a power outage.

Nitpicks that might matter to others: the alarm isn't very loud (and has no adjustments); the display could be a little bigger for old eyes not wearing glasses; and the display has a somewhat narrow viewing angle meaning that the numbers look brighter or dimmer depending on where you are lying down and where it is sitting.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

BH Digital Alarm Clock Suggestions

I wanted a clock radio that would keep good time. Bought a Sangean CL-100 thinking I was done because it sets the time from the FM-RDS (radio broadcast data system) time signal transmitted by some FM stations.

Wrong. While it does set the time (the only way possible) from an embedded FM signal, which is good, the problem is the transmitted radio time is often wrong. When I’ve noticed this, I’ve changed the station it’s set to receive the time signal from, but the other stations were also wrong. Something is causing the time from multiple local FM stations to be wrong. This happens sporadically and is not the result of the daylight savings time change.

So this radio (AM, FM, WX, battery backup) now lives a full useful life in the kitchen where:
--It entertains me while doing dishes.
--Provides a nightly take-meds alarm.
--It’s WX alert feature responses more quickly than TV alerts (when on).
--And I don’t care if the time is wrong. (But I do notice it when the alarm for meds happens at different times---alarm is correct, current set time is wrong. In these cases I reset the alarm so it happens at the correct local time. It seems to take several weeks before someone notices and fixes it.)

Reviews: http://www.google.com/search?q=review+sangean+CL-100

I’m now on the hunt for a clock radio that gets its time directly from WWVB (time signal transmitted from Ft Collins CO), so I hopefully circumvent the problems induced by FM radio engineers.

See: http://www.google.com/search?q=wwvb+clock+alarm

Such a radio should fix my problem of inaccurate times as I’m within a 100 miles of the WWVB transmitter. But it might not fix all inaccurate time problems for everyone: http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index ... ic=26955.0

And while we’re at it, good sound would be nice too.

I didn’t think an accurate, good-sounding, clock radio was too much to ask, but I'm having trouble finding one.

(Tried 4 different Bose Wave radios over 10 years. All died. Never again, Bose.)
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.

Post by 2015 »

bob60014 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:41 am Sorry no recommendations. I use my cell phone!
This.
I only have one "clock" in the house now, and it's on the microwave. Phone and laptop provide time checks when/if needed.
Topic Author
nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius »

(I have to think that the people suggesting smartphones, smart speakers--or whatever you call Echos and Homepods and Google Homes--did not read my personal desiderata... for example, it's hard to silence the alarm on a smartphone by giving it a swat with your palm in a dark room).

I used to have a little Oregon Scientific "atomic clock" (WWVB receiver) but I spent more timing fussing over it than it ever saved me. Reception wasn't that great, I needed to perch it in a window for it to sync reliably, and it would forget what time zone we were in when I changed the batteries. It also took hours to resync with WWVB when I changed the batteries. The only thing it did for me was to give a "dream-come-true" feeling, because some may remember a movie called "David and Lisa," in which the hero, David, is neurotic and obsessed by clocks. He tells his psychiatrist that he would like to invent a watch synchronized by radio waves so that it would always tell the right time, and the psychiatrist regards this as, well, a crazy idea, thereby freaking me out because it sounded like a wonderful idea to me. WWVB-receiver "atomic clocks" not only realized the vision, they also reassured me that there were enough people interested in accurate time to constitute a viable market for the product.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

nisiprius wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:40 pm...
I used to have a little Oregon Scientific "atomic clock" (WWVB receiver) but I spent more timing fussing over it than it ever saved me.
WWVB-receiver "atomic clocks" not only realized the vision, they also reassured me that there were enough people interested in accurate time to constitute a viable market for the product.
Thanks for the heads up.

While searching for my ideal clock radio, stumbled across a group obsessed with time accuracy and calling themselves "Time Nuts". (I didn't know the ocean tides cause a pendulum clock's period to vary.)
See: http://www.leapsecond.com/time-nuts.htm

Don't suppose I need something all that accurate for the bedside and the associated problems with keeping it so. So dropping that requirement and settling for battery-backed quartz may be easier to live with.

Or maybe I could call a station's FM radio-engineers when their transmitted time is wrong.

Or maybe one of them knows the name of one of their members obsessed with keeping his station's time accurate and I can reset my FM-RDS radio to get its time from there.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
FlyAF

Post by FlyAF »

ArcticMike wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:47 am The Philips Wake-up Light (several variations over the years) is a wonderful enhancement of a standard alarm clock. Wakes me up gradually and I usually get up before the sound kicks in like a standard alarm. It's even healthier; there's some limited data supporting its use as part of light therapy.
I switched from my iphone to 1 of these a few months ago and I don't know how I lived without it. I always wake slowly/naturally before the sound ever goes off. You don't get jarred awake from a deep sleep by an obnoxious noise that wakes up your spouse too. I wake up in an infinitely better mood and am much more relaxed during my hectic mornings. I cannot recommend this style of alarm clock enough. It's easy enough to set and make changes to the settings. Do yourself a favor and try one out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078M ... UTF8&psc=1
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Shikoku wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:10 pm I once used an alarm clock at a Hilton Hotel. It has a separate display for the alarm set time. Two AM/PM displays are also illuminated. This is the best one that I have used so far. I liked it very much. They told that it can be ordered at their website. Seems it is still available.

Hilton LCD Alarm Clock
https://www.hiltontohome.com/product.as ... larm-Clock

-- Multi-function backlit negative LCD with adjustable brightness
-- 8 levels of display brightness controlled by snooze button
-- Ascending alarm volume
I bought a Hilton alarm clock when it had an excellent radio in it too. Still have it and will keep till it dies. Current one does not have a radio. I expect that the current one is excellent.

Post by 2015 »

nisiprius wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:40 pm (I have to think that the people suggesting smartphones, smart speakers--or whatever you call Echos and Homepods and Google Homes--did not read my personal desiderata... for example, it's hard to silence the alarm on a smartphone by giving it a swat with your palm in a dark room).

I used to have a little Oregon Scientific "atomic clock" (WWVB receiver) but I spent more timing fussing over it than it ever saved me. Reception wasn't that great, I needed to perch it in a window for it to sync reliably, and it would forget what time zone we were in when I changed the batteries. It also took hours to resync with WWVB when I changed the batteries. The only thing it did for me was to give a "dream-come-true" feeling, because some may remember a movie called "David and Lisa," in which the hero, David, is neurotic and obsessed by clocks. He tells his psychiatrist that he would like to invent a watch synchronized by radio waves so that it would always tell the right time, and the psychiatrist regards this as, well, a crazy idea, thereby freaking me out because it sounded like a wonderful idea to me. WWVB-receiver "atomic clocks" not only realized the vision, they also reassured me that there were enough people interested in accurate time to constitute a viable market for the product.
Actually, in the darkest of rooms, all you do is turn the phone face up, it lights up, and you swipe the alarm off. Takes seconds. Great thing about smart phones is, unlike regular clocks, they're portable. Sleeping in another part of the house or a hotel or even a different country? No problem! Time change? No worries!
Toons

Post by Toons »

Off topic but I use either.
Phone or
Amazon Dot.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

There are thousands of smart phone alarm clock apps. You should be able to find one that does what you want. It's not limited to things you can imagine, but to things somebody can imagine.

You can wake up to any noise you want, it can turn on the screen so you can find it. Turn it off by touching the screen, shaking the phone, saying "shut up", or it could make you solve a sudoku to ensure you're awake.
AJS

Post by AJS »

I'm sure you'll find some links on the AARP website for alarm clocks and answering machines.
Admirer of the great John Bogle
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

my 30 year old alarm clock has turned itself into a clock only -- which is ok as it has big numbers that i can easily see at night.

i use alexa as my alarm clock...

and if my wifi should happen to be down my cell phone is also used as a backup.