Tax loss harvesting MUB

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
hmw

Tax loss harvesting MUB

Post by hmw » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:39 pm

Due to the recent market drop, I am down several thousands of dollars on my MUB (ishare MUNI bond ETF). I would like to do some tax loss harvesting. What is a reasonable alternative to MUB? Can I sell all my MUB and buy VTEB?

Thanks

Tyler Aspect

Re: Tax loss harvesting MUB

Post by Tyler Aspect » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:49 pm

I would buy a secondary market Treasury Bill or Note that matures in a bit longer than one month. When it matures then buy back MUB.

(added link)
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Wash_sale
Last edited by Tyler Aspect on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.

drk

Post by drk » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:00 am

hmw wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:39 pm
Due to the recent market drop, I am down several thousands of dollars on my MUB (ishare MUNI bond ETF). I would like to do some tax loss harvesting. What is a reasonable alternative to MUB? Can I sell all my MUB and buy VTEB?

Thanks
Yes, VTEB works. They track the same index, but they both use sampling. You can also use TFI, although it has a longer duration.

Tyler Aspect

Post by Tyler Aspect » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:59 pm

hmw wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:39 pm

Thanks
VTEB and MUB tracks the same index: S&P National AMT-Free Municipal Bond Index. You might be subject to "substantially identical" rule if you cross-over into this gray area.
Past result does not predict future performance. Mentioned investments may lose money. Contents are presented "AS IS" and any implied suitability for a particular purpose are disclaimed.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:29 pm

Tyler Aspect wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:59 pm
VTEB and MUB tracks the same index: S&P National AMT-Free Municipal Bond Index. You might be subject to "substantially identical" rule if you cross-over into this gray area.
There's never been a reported case that anyone has found of the IRS declaring a wash in a case like this.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:20 pm

Note that MUB is subject to the 6-month rule. If you sell a share which you bought within the last 6 months for a capital loss, you must reduce the loss by the tax-exempt dividends paid on this share.

(This rule doesn't apply to most muni mutual funds, because those funds accrue dividends for each day you hold them. and thus do not decrease in price by the amount of the dividends they pay. ETFs do not accrue dividends; the shareholder on the record date gets the whole dividend.)
Wiki David Grabiner

hmw

Post by hmw » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:07 am

grabiner wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:20 pm
Note that MUB is subject to the 6-month rule. If you sell a share which you bought within the last 6 months for a capital loss, you must reduce the loss by the tax-exempt dividends paid on this share.

(This rule doesn't apply to most muni mutual funds, because those funds accrue dividends for each day you hold them. and thus do not decrease in price by the amount of the dividends they pay. ETFs do not accrue dividends; the shareholder on the record date gets the whole dividend.)

Hmmm, I didn’t know that. If I did TLH including MUB bought within last 6 month, is it going to be a reporting nightmare with TurboTax? Will the 1099 issued by a major brokerage such as Fidelity or TDA handle this easily?

Thanks

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:33 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:29 pm
Tyler Aspect wrote:
There's never been a reported case that anyone has found of the IRS declaring a wash in a case like this.
Has there been a reported case of the IRS declaring a wash sale on anything other than identical replacement shares?

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:58 pm

rkhusky wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:33 am
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Tyler Aspect wrote:
Has there been a reported case of the IRS declaring a wash sale on anything other than identical replacement shares?
Not that I've ever seen. That's the safe play for the IRS. Considering how low a profit opportunity it is for them, I don't think there's much chance of anything else.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Longdog

Post by Longdog » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:21 pm

Just thought it worth pointing out that that ETF did not go down because of the recent stock market decline. It went down because of rising interest rates. It doesn’t hold stocks.
Steve

MP123

Post by MP123 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:54 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:58 pm
rkhusky wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:33 am
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Tyler Aspect wrote:
Not that I've ever seen. That's the safe play for the IRS. Considering how low a profit opportunity it is for them, I don't think there's much chance of anything else.
Even if a loss is disallowed due to wash sale you can still add it to your cost basis which just postpones you being able to take it. That's probably why the IRS hasn't put much effort in the clarifying "substantially identical", there really isn't much money in it for them.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:07 pm

MP123 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:54 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:58 pm
Even if a loss is disallowed due to wash sale you can still add it to your cost basis which just postpones you being able to take it. That's probably why the IRS hasn't put much effort in the clarifying "substantially identical", there really isn't much money in it for them.
Right, that's the low profit opportunity. Obviously if the wash is in an IRA, that changes things.