For BHs who actually like cars - [what car do you drive every day?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
shawndoggy

Re: For BHs who actually like cars - [what car do you drive every day?]

Post by shawndoggy »

I split time between a 2008 VW R32 and 2014 F150 XLT supercrew (3.5 ecoboost). The truck is nominally for towing the boat, but it has also been a suprisingly good highway machine for 400+ mile trips (smooth, quiet, roomy, big gas tank). The R32 is real fun for solo trips through the twisties and is good for driving in tight spaces (city, etc).

Wife drives 2013 Infiniti FX37... it's what she wanted so it's what she got. Every time I drive it I still struggle to "get" it. I do like the adaptive cruise tho.
xkunalx

Post by xkunalx »

2010 G37X sedan. Previous was a G35 coupe.

330hp, reliable, fun, AWD, okay on gas.
Jimbo9911

Post by Jimbo9911 »

Ford F150.
All I have owned since I got rid of my VW Super Beetle in 1980.
Wife has a car though.
Jim
"Watch out where the huskies go and don't you eat that yellow snow". Frank Zappa
lazydavid

Re: For BHs who actually like cars - what is your daily driver?

Post by lazydavid »

Carter3 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:28 pm
ssquared87 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:36 am
Carter3 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:15 am
whodidntante wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:09 pm 2017 Mustang GT with a manual transmission. It's my only car, which makes winter lots of fun.
A buddy off mine came over one weekend in the middle of winter driving his new mustang gt. Two weekends later he came over with a different "new car". My wife asked., how many new cars he had. He stated that he almost killed himself leaving our home in the mustang so he sold it that Monday and was thankful that he still had his life
Throwing on a set of winter tires would have been a safer and cheaper option
Ohhh if only it were that simple. Had a buddy with the same issue in snow in a f150 lightning
It really is that simple. In the pickup you might want to also throw a couple hundred pounds over the axle, but winter tires will get the job done. My DD is RWD and makes 500 lbft of torque, and is an absolute dream to drive in the snow, thanks to Blizzaks.
sschullo

Post by sschullo »

My Tesla Model S. Considering going totally sporty with the new Telsa's 2020 Roadster: https://www.netcarshow.com/tesla/2020-roadster/ I love the future!
Never in the history of market day-traders’ has the obsession with so much massive, sophisticated, & powerful statistical machinery used by the brightest people on earth with such useless results.
azanon

Post by azanon »

2012 Volkswagen GTI (MKVI) Autobahn DSG ed. with full Unitronic Stage 2 tuning (Unitronic: Stage 2 ECU/TCU, Intercooler, CAI, Turbo-Back Exhaust). I'll be adding a Uni K04 turbo this year to bring it to Stage 2+. It's as fun as it sounds.
NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 »

northernrun wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:26 am A 1999 Pontiac Fire-bird Trans AM convertible with 6 speed manual, 327 horse, 5.2 liter displacement with 37,000 original miles. :D
Affordable excess and fast
From a fellow 2001 driver let me be the nitpicky owner and correct that to a proper 5.7 liters. :sharebeer

I am in the middle of exchanging my 5.7 liters for 7.4 liters. :mrgreen:
itsgot8

Post by itsgot8 »

NHRATA01 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:09 am
northernrun wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:26 am A 1999 Pontiac Fire-bird Trans AM convertible with 6 speed manual, 327 horse, 5.2 liter displacement with 37,000 original miles. :D
Affordable excess and fast
From a fellow 2001 driver let me be the nitpicky owner and correct that to a proper 5.7 liters. :sharebeer

I am in the middle of exchanging my 5.7 liters for 7.4 liters. :mrgreen:
You missed the fact that it's more like 350HP. LS1s chassis dyno at 300ish, putting it near 350 at the crank. :mrgreen:
MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan »

2014 Audi S4 w/ sport differential. Had it about 1.5 years and getting ready to swap out my all-weather tires for something sporty; looking forward to it!
mlcolorado

Post by mlcolorado »

2000 MB SLK for spring, summer and fall in the Colorado mountains, to replace motorcycles (got too dangerous). Purchased new in 2000 for Lynn's 50th birthday. Still a sweet ride. Often wonder why no one else noticed the light turned green when the Supercharged SLK pulls away without a fuss.
2001 Subaru LL Bean Outback Wagon with 3.0 flat six engine - Purchased 3rd hand in 2006 with 50,000 miles, as a second winter car. Still going strong for local runs but starting to show it's age (17 years).
2009 Subaru Forester XT (turbo) purchased as lease return with 50,000 miles in 2012 for all else. Turbo just smiles as it pulls over the mountain passes without down shifting.

Just rented a BIG, Fancy SUV (Lincoln Navigator) on vacation with friends. Kind of liked the "macho man" big truck like vehicle. Now have my eye on a Subaru Ascent to replace the LL Bean Wagon once the 3 year old, lease returns start to show up in 2022. Plan to retire the end of 2018 so the Ascent my become my retirement vehicle for long trips and hauling "stuff." Maybe after living below my means for 40 years I'll just buy a new one for cash .......
ArmchairArchitect

Post by ArmchairArchitect »

I'm a car enthusiast, but I ride my bicycle to work every day for the quick commute, health benefits, fun, and cost. Living in the city (Philadelphia) is awesome!
Carter3

Post by Carter3 »

lazydavid wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:59 am
Carter3 wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:28 pm
ssquared87 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:36 am
Carter3 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:15 am
whodidntante wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:09 pm 2017 Mustang GT with a manual transmission. It's my only car, which makes winter lots of fun.
A buddy off mine came over one weekend in the middle of winter driving his new mustang gt. Two weekends later he came over with a different "new car". My wife asked., how many new cars he had. He stated that he almost killed himself leaving our home in the mustang so he sold it that Monday and was thankful that he still had his life
Throwing on a set of winter tires would have been a safer and cheaper option
Ohhh if only it were that simple. Had a buddy with the same issue in snow in a f150 lightning
It really is that simple. In the pickup you might want to also throw a couple hundred pounds over the axle, but winter tires will get the job done. My DD is RWD and makes 500 lbft of torque, and is an absolute dream to drive in the snow, thanks to Blizzaks.
You da man
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

2003 - 2008 Honda S2000

2008 - present BMW 135i (first year car, ordered sight unseen as soon as they were announced)
Steve K

Post by Steve K »

2012 Audi A4.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

2009 Jetta Sportwagen here, 6 speed manual AND the 2.0 litre turbo engine from the GTI, a rare combination imported in very small numbers.

It has been anything but reliable but other than a new Sportwagen, there is nothing out there that combines its capabilities on the road, economy with fuel (road trips at 70 get be around 32 mpg), and practicality. I have been with VW/Audi for decades, as the reliability problems cropped up I always aver "never again a VW product" and then months later, like a crack addict, I am back in the yard of the VW/Audi dealer kicking tires. Perhaps there is help for this sort of problem?

Having said that, it is getting long in the tooth and before next winter I hope to be in a Tesla 3, which would be an entirely different experience.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
mkc

Post by mkc »

2002 Lincoln LS V8 Sport. Bought new (leftover). Fell in love with the styling when they first came out with the LS. Bought it before I knew about being a Boglehead and have kept it because of being a Boglehead.
farmecologist

Post by farmecologist »

Prius fan here...mostly because I'm fascinated by hybrid tech, etc. We have a 2010 Prius liftback and a 2012 Prius V wagon. Yes, some still chastise them but I really don't understand why....they make a great daily driver!

The fact that the engine is completely beltless, has regen braking via transaxle, and the transaxle mechanically simple means the car needs almost no maintenance whatsoever. And for all you naysayers out there...we live in Minnesota and see many older model (2003-2008) Prius vehicles out there still going strong with absolutely no rust, etc...

For those who are engineering minded, Weber State University has an excellent video series on hybrid transaxles, etc.. For instance, take a peek at this video of Toyota's Hybrid Synergy Drive transaxle sometime. At about 25 minutes in he demonstrates it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLNDGUISTYM
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

farmecologist wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:59 pm Prius fan here...mostly because I'm fascinated by hybrid tech, etc. We have a 2010 Prius liftback and a 2012 Prius V wagon. Yes, some still chastise them but I really don't understand why....they make a great daily driver!
They are good cars (in fact I recommend them to friends and family), but for an enthusiast they leave a lot to be desired. The powertrain is gutless and there's no steering feel. It's a car that will fight you if you try to drive it hard rather than a car that rewards you for it. I have enough driving fun on my daily commute that those tradeoffs aren't worth giving up a fun car. My tune might change if I had a long commute in stop and go traffic though.
farmecologist

Post by farmecologist »

alfaspider wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:09 pm
farmecologist wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:59 pm Prius fan here...mostly because I'm fascinated by hybrid tech, etc. We have a 2010 Prius liftback and a 2012 Prius V wagon. Yes, some still chastise them but I really don't understand why....they make a great daily driver!
They are good cars (in fact I recommend them to friends and family), but for an enthusiast they leave a lot to be desired. The powertrain is gutless and there's no steering feel. It's a car that will fight you if you try to drive it hard rather than a car that rewards you for it. I have enough driving fun on my daily commute that those tradeoffs aren't worth giving up a fun car. My tune might change if I had a long commute in stop and go traffic though.
Agree with you that they certainly are not 'sexy'. However, this thread is about "what car do you drive every day". I'm not sure most folks are looking for an 'enthusiast' vehicle for a daily commute? However, I may be wrong on that ( like in your case ). :beer
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

farmecologist wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:14 pm ...this thread is about "what car do you drive every day"
No, it isn't -- you're missing the first half.

I want a Prius for one reason -- and one reason only. When I'm driving, there's nothing I love more than miles of open road in front of me. And every Prius I follow seems to have miles of open road in front of it :D. That must feel nice.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
Incendiary

Post by Incendiary »

daveydoo wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:39 pm
farmecologist wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:14 pm ...this thread is about "what car do you drive every day"

I want a Prius for one reason -- and one reason only. When I'm driving, there's nothing I love more than miles of open road in front of me. And every Prius I follow seems to have miles of open road in front of it :D. That must feel nice.
In the left lane, you forgot to mention.
Quest80

Post by Quest80 »

Hyundai Genesis. Only car I’ve ever kept more than four years. Coming up on nine years.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

Incendiary wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:48 pm
daveydoo wrote: I want a Prius for one reason -- and one reason only. When I'm driving, there's nothing I love more than miles of open road in front of me. And every Prius I follow seems to have miles of open road in front of it :D. That must feel nice.
In the left lane, you forgot to mention.
And I'm being too harsh, of course. There are plenty of Prius drivers who keep up with traffic and then some. But those other ones... :D
Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot »

I drive a BMW 535 M Sport, got it when it was 3 years old with 14K miles on it for 32K, a little more than 32K less than what it sold for new. I also have a paid off pickup that is mostly used for camping or bad weather driving. The BMW is ABSOLUTELY worth it, holographic HUD should be mandatory on all cars and the engine / transmission makes driving fun again. > 300 ft/lb torque at 1800 RPM puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
Last edited by Quickfoot on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I want a Prius for one reason -- and one reason only. When I'm driving, there's nothing I love more than miles of open road in front of me. And every Prius I follow seems to have miles of open road in front of it
I see what you did there...
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

alfaspider wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:09 pm They are good cars (in fact I recommend them to friends and family), but for an enthusiast they leave a lot to be desired. The powertrain is gutless and there's no steering feel. It's a car that will fight you if you try to drive it hard rather than a car that rewards you for it. I have enough driving fun on my daily commute that those tradeoffs aren't worth giving up a fun car. My tune might change if I had a long commute in stop and go traffic though.
Trust me it doesn't. I considered something boring for my miserable commute in LA traffic with a 14mph average speed.

Even with that, I needed something with a little character so I ended up with a BMW 530 as my daily and even that car i feel is too bland. Every once in a while I drive my 98 M3 to work with the manual transmission and despite the traffic, I still prefer driving that to the auto trans boring 5. Sadly I need to drive the 5 because of the seats and my back condition, otherwise I'd take the old M3 with 5MT over the bland auto 530i M-sport
farmecologist

Post by farmecologist »

ssquared87 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:05 pm
alfaspider wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:09 pm They are good cars (in fact I recommend them to friends and family), but for an enthusiast they leave a lot to be desired. The powertrain is gutless and there's no steering feel. It's a car that will fight you if you try to drive it hard rather than a car that rewards you for it. I have enough driving fun on my daily commute that those tradeoffs aren't worth giving up a fun car. My tune might change if I had a long commute in stop and go traffic though.
Trust me it doesn't. I considered something boring for my miserable commute in LA traffic with a 14mph average speed.

Even with that, I needed something with a little character so I ended up with a BMW 530 as my daily and even that car i feel is too bland. Every once in a while I drive my 98 M3 to work with the manual transmission and despite the traffic, I still prefer driving that to the auto trans boring 5. Sadly I need to drive the 5 because of the seats and my back condition, otherwise I'd take the old M3 with 5MT over the bland auto 530i M-sport
Ouch...14mph average speed? I'm not sure how *any* car would make that tolerable. And that is the point of the Prius...at least it is not burning all of your gas sitting in traffic like that. Frankly, it is kind of silly that all cars do not have engine stop/start tech these days....hybrid or not. There must be Prius vehicles all over the place in LA..right?

Ha! I knew it....bring up Prius and some will chastise it to the ends of time. It is pretty entertaining to see that it is *still* this decisive. :thumbsup And I never said the Prius is supposed to be 'fun'...it is an appliance vehicle suited for a daily commute. However, we have taken ours on three 5,000+ mile road trips and actually enjoyed it. :shock:
farmecologist

Post by farmecologist »

Quest80 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:00 pm Hyundai Genesis. Only car I’ve ever kept more than four years. Coming up on nine years.
We have a 2012 Hyundai Sonata and love it. It kind of gets 'babied' a bit as we use our 2010 Prius as the 'winter beater' ( see Prius discussion above/below ). :mrgreen:

Hyundai sometimes gets a bad rap...but our Sonata has been incredibly reliable. In fact, it has never been into the shop! I do all regular maintenance myself.
SeaToTheBay

Post by SeaToTheBay »

ssquared87 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:05 pm Trust me it doesn't. I considered something boring for my miserable commute in LA traffic with a 14mph average speed.

I'm with you. A few years ago I had a 2001 BMW M5 and a Honda S2000, and a fairly traffic-filled commute (11 miles, ~40min). Although the M5 was certainly fun, and about the best, most comfy daily driver you could ask for (6MT notwithstanding), I found myself taking the stiff, loud, cramped S2000 most of the time. Even in traffic, I could enjoy having the top down, the outstanding shifter/clutch, the quick steering and nimble handling/maneuverability. Even parking it was a breeze due to its size. It was something to look forward to at the start and end of every workday. Ugh, now I want another one!

If I came out after work to a bland car with no character or excitement every day, it would really take a lot of joy out of the day.
Noalani

Post by Noalani »

Lucked out and got the dealer demo 16 years ago. A 2002 Lexus IS300 SportCross. It only had 1200 miles on it, so I got a like-new car with a depreciated price. Fell in love with the car and the way it handles from the moment I first test-drove it. My husband offered to get me a newer car a couple years ago, and I just couldn't do it!
carguyny

Post by carguyny »

I also ride my bike to a train station then hop a train to Grand Central where my office is located.

I'm fortunate enough to have some very high end sports cars that everything else just feels average against. Going to order my wife the new Range Rover Sport Hybrid and want to test drive the Jaguar i-Pace when it comes out as I'm very curious about it.
wootwoot

Post by wootwoot »

It's funny how so many bogleheads will fight tooth and nail to pay say .25% less in fees on retirement funds but have no problem buying an expensive car. Not a criticism but an interesting observation.
SeaToTheBay

Post by SeaToTheBay »

wootwoot wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:47 pm It's funny how so many bogleheads will fight tooth and nail to pay say .25% less in fees on retirement funds but have no problem buying an expensive car. Not a criticism but an interesting observation.
Hey, those fees add up over time! Whatever I spend money on, I like to see value out of it whether it's $10 or $100,000.

Part of the reason we save is to be able to afford the things/luxuries we want. Other than some travel (nothing outrageous), I don't really spend much money on anything besides cars, and even those I keep for a long time and managed to make money on 2 of the 3 cars I have ever sold.
Charizard1stEd

Post by Charizard1stEd »

I have a BRZ I use mostly on track. It's a poor financial decision and I didn't do any track days in 2017 and only a couple in 2016 to be more responsible, but I always have that itch.

I drive a 2003 accord, and a lot harder than most people. I've been through tons of brakes and I'm actually considering getting a new car now because I corded the shoulders of my tires and my alignment is showing positive front camber more than 1 degree. Which is not adjustable so i must have some bent parts :mrgreen: Also my summer wheels one is bent and another I found a hairline crack in one of the spokes...

Anyway I need to put in like 2500-3000 if I want to fix her back up. Need new pads/rotors, rear calipers, front upper control arms with camber adjustment, front lower ball joints, and new wheels/tires. That's the minimum. Would like new struts and rear camber kit and stainless lines. Throw in an alignment.

So I'm thinking about picking up a Scion iM for 13-14k. Has independent rear, rear disc brake, and I can throw in a camber bolt on the front mcpherson setup. Don't like the traction control is not defeatable but I can pull the ABS fuse.

Tough decision for me. I can replace my accord parts so save on labor but I worry about the transmission and it burns oil and has unexplained coolant loss. :(

https://i.imgur.com/Ebnu0Dg.jpg
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

wootwoot wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:47 pm It's funny how so many bogleheads will fight tooth and nail to pay say .25% less in fees on retirement funds but have no problem buying an expensive car. Not a criticism but an interesting observation.
That's because money is not an end in and of itself. You accumulate it to spend at some point. Now, people differ widely on at which point in their life they want to spend, and what they want to spend it on--some like to travel, some have hobbies, some like to bum around in an RV or boat, some like to donate to charity, some want to leave bequests, some like to drive fancy cars, etc etc. The point of spending, however one chooses to do so, is to get some form of enjoyment, fulfillment, or satisfaction out of the transaction.

Contrast this with expense ratios. If I have two otherwise identical funds, and one costs an extra 25bp, what does one get for that spend? Literally nothing. Thus, it is not incongruous for someone who objects to spending a few thousand dollars a year on needless fees, to also go out and buy an expensive car. The latter hopefully enriches his/her life in a personal way and therefore is of value to that individual, the former certainly should not fit either description.
Charizard1stEd

Post by Charizard1stEd »

If you are not a "gear head" you won't get it.

Watch this, if it sounds like nonsense then it's just one of those "agree to disagree" things.

https://vimeo.com/59415579
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

They don't live in caves or shacks, either. It's not about never having -- or never wanting -- nice things.

And, 0.25% of a nice-sized portfolio x thirty years = a pretty nice car. And BH is even more about not paying an asset manager 1%, plus another 1% in expense ratio. 2% x 30 years = a really nice car :D
nashirak

Post by nashirak »

My primary vehicle is a company car that I can keep for personal use (2017 Ford Fusion). Drives well, very comfortable.

Our personal vehicles are a 2006 Jeep Wrangler (my weekend toy), and the wife has a 2012 Hyundai Elantra.
travellight

Post by travellight »

Tesla S
CTS08

Post by CTS08 »

Afty wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:28 pm 2008 Infiniti G35S w/manual transmission. It's been a great car, couldn't recommend it more highly.
Just swapped out a 2009 Infiniti G37S manual for a 2018 Porsche Macan S. I miss that G37 and the manual transmission! :|
SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP »

2004 BMW Z4, 6 speed manual

I was thinking about replacing it with a newer model in a few years. However, with talk of impending nieces or nephews, I'm considering getting something with a backseat.

-Steph
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

:oops: :annoyed :twisted: LMAO

Time is the ultimate currency.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

Charizard1stEd wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:19 pm I have a BRZ I use mostly on track. It's a poor financial decision and I didn't do any track days in 2017 and only a couple in 2016 to be more responsible, but I always have that itch.

I drive a 2003 accord, and a lot harder than most people. I've been through tons of brakes and I'm actually considering getting a new car now because I corded the shoulders of my tires and my alignment is showing positive front camber more than 1 degree. Which is not adjustable so i must have some bent parts :mrgreen: Also my summer wheels one is bent and another I found a hairline crack in one of the spokes...

Anyway I need to put in like 2500-3000 if I want to fix her back up. Need new pads/rotors, rear calipers, front upper control arms with camber adjustment, front lower ball joints, and new wheels/tires. That's the minimum. Would like new struts and rear camber kit and stainless lines. Throw in an alignment.

So I'm thinking about picking up a Scion iM for 13-14k. Has independent rear, rear disc brake, and I can throw in a camber bolt on the front mcpherson setup. Don't like the traction control is not defeatable but I can pull the ABS fuse.

Tough decision for me. I can replace my accord parts so save on labor but I worry about the transmission and it burns oil and has unexplained coolant loss. :(

https://i.imgur.com/Ebnu0Dg.jpg
Why not just daily the BRZ? I did that for a year and it was mostly fine....there were times on occasion that I wished I was driving something quieter, but those days were far fewer than the days I was driving my 530i wishing I was driving something more raw, that i could row my own gears.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

farmecologist wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:13 am
ssquared87 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:05 pm

Ouch...14mph average speed? I'm not sure how *any* car would make that tolerable. And that is the point of the Prius...at least it is not burning all of your gas sitting in traffic like that. Frankly, it is kind of silly that all cars do not have engine stop/start tech these days....hybrid or not. There must be Prius vehicles all over the place in LA..right?

Ha! I knew it....bring up Prius and some will chastise it to the ends of time. It is pretty entertaining to see that it is *still* this decisive. :thumbsup And I never said the Prius is supposed to be 'fun'...it is an appliance vehicle suited for a daily commute. However, we have taken ours on three 5,000+ mile road trips and actually enjoyed it. :shock:
Absolutely the perfect use case for the Prius they are everywhere in LA! I considered that for about 30 seconds, but quickly dismissed it.

I was buying a new car was because I was rear ended by a semi and my car was sandwiched between the semi and a pickup truck. I'll never forget the look on people's face who were rushing to my car to try to help, thinking the worst. When the door opened and I got out of the car and walked away, everyone around the scene was in shock. I was driving a 2011 BMW 328 and it saved my life. Had I been in something like a Prius or even the Subaru BRZ which I often drove, I'd probably be dead or have extremely serious injuries.

What's even more scary about this, it happened during my 14mph average commute. In LA the traffic will be normal and then all of a sudden come to a complete stop, so people don't pay attention. I was stopped at a red light on a freeway exit ramp and the semi that hit me was going at lest 45MPH.

So yeah, I was a bit traumatized and not sure I made a completely rational decision getting something the size of a 5series, but it reduces the stress that I have every time I drive worrying about getting hit again.

My BMW does have the Auto Stop Start feature that you mention which cuts the engine off when stopped, so the gas mileage isn't as bad as you'd expect. I'm getting about 23mpg even with the 14mph average speed over the 7k miles i've had the car so far. Not bad for a 4lbs pound mid size 4 door car with an 18 cubic foot trunk that could also keep pace with some sports cars in the canyons. It kind of is a jack of all trades
NHRATA01

Post by NHRATA01 »

There's a tangible enjoyment taken in buying a nice car if you are an auto enthusiast, over an appliance like a Camry (with apologies to Camry owners for the potshot).

But there's no benefit to be found in paying a higher expense ratio.
2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy »

Very, very sacrilegious for this board but I’m partially excused because I only relocated to the USA in 2016 and needed cars. And because I’m a car nut and choose to waste in this area, and, and, and because I own this as a bad financial decision.

2017 Jeep wrangler rubicon - I live in a mountainous area with lots of snow and my property is about 125 acres with trails. I had a John Deere gator but the Jeep is much better on cold days :)

2016 Mercedes s coupe - I thought long and hard about getting a used Bentley or new R8 instead but new job in a small town forced me to go the understated route. This car has the ability to relax me. It’s incredible.

2016 Cadillac Escalade (wife) - was employed by gm at the time so got a huge discount. needed space for travel and kids.

When I hit my number in a few years I plan to “combine” my two cars and get a g class for my off road needs and a Ferrari like I’ve wanted since I was 14.

Wife’s Escalade lease ends in November and we will most likely replace with a used gls Mercedes since it can fit 3 child seats in second row.

Never owed a German car my whole life until the s class. Now I’m a believer.
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.
2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy »

NHRATA01 wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:26 am
There's a tangible enjoyment taken in buying a nice car if you are an auto enthusiast, over an appliance like a Camry (with apologies to Camry owners for the potshot).

This. And once your portfolio gets to retirement capable levels, 0.25% can easily exceed the cost of a luxury car in absolute dollars.
Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea »

2tall4economy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:29 pm

This. And once your portfolio gets to retirement capable levels, 0.25% can easily exceed the cost of a luxury car in absolute dollars.
We need to be talking about a really plush retirement then. A $1M portfolio would save $2.5K / year with a 0.25% cost savings. A $10M portfolio would save $25K. That's an economy car. Over 4 years that $10M portfolio might save enough for a well equipped E class or a stripper S class.
It’s not just that facts don’t seem to matter anymore. It’s that it doesn’t seem to matter that facts don’t matter.
azanon

Post by azanon »

We don't work that hard to maximize our net investment income only to end up driving bombs around. Or at least not some of us.

And for probably the vast majority of us, as impressive as our car might look, it doesn't hold a candle to that figure on the Vanguard statement.
2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy »

Hyperborea wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:03 pm
2tall4economy wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:29 pm

We need to be talking about a really plush retirement then. A $1M portfolio would save $2.5K / year with a 0.25% cost savings. A $10M portfolio would save $25K. That's an economy car. Over 4 years that $10M portfolio might save enough for a well equipped E class or a stripper S class.
$5m portfolio, $12.5k each year for 5 years equals luxury car every 5 years...