Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Christine_NM

Re: Work-out schedule for those in 60s

Post by Christine_NM » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:57 pm

elisa wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:32 pm
66-year-old female , retired now for 8 years:
daily AM walk 2.5 miles
3X a week strength training for 20-25 minutes using mostly machines with some free weights
2X a week water fitness
3-5X a week Zumba
daily 20-30 minutes yoga/stretching
15-20 minute easy walk in evening most days
biking is my only transportation so generally several easy city miles a week

While exercise and controlling weight have always been part of my life, exercise became crucial when I began to recover from chemo/radiation in 2012. Key for me is a routine that I mostly enjoy rather than an obligation.
Wow. I know that's a fantastic routine because I had chemo/radiation x2 and 3 surgeries (not counting the biopsies) in 2012-13. At 74 I do only the 2.5 walk 5 days a week. It counts as cardio because half is uphill and increases my heart rate sufficiently. Whenever I started a weight routine at first I got edema because circulation is not the same after surgery. People are like Humpty Dumpty -- they can fall or be taken apart but not put together exactly right again.

However, I am inspired by your post and will start up with the weights again. Maybe with all the walking the edema will not recur. Thx for posting.
17% cash 47% stock 36% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.85%

Diogenes

Post by Diogenes » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:45 pm

Trying to ramp it up a bit.

Currently swim 2x wk 2200 - 2500 meters in outdoor 50 meter salt water pool
Run 3x wk 8-10k
Weights and elliptical 3x, 2 double with run
Walk minimum 12000 steps a day. I live in a coastal city so it’s amazing how easy that is.
Long hike in the mountains every 2 weeks.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:37 pm

PhilosophyAndrew wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:54 pm
I’m in my 50s, so my experiences may or may not be relevant to yours.
I normally work out five days per week for a total of 9-10 hours; one of these hours is with a personal trainer and the rest Involve a variety of cardio and strength training group fitness classes, including two half-hour high intensity interval training sessions. I also take a weekly massage.
This routine works well for me - I’ve never been fitter, and for the first time I enjoy working out. I love found that scheduling this time into my calendar is vital; I try to hold specific workout times and days sacrosanct so they don’t get overridden by all the short-term demands of daily life. It has also been important to me to find a fitness place with a strong sense of community and a focus on overall wellness — more like a supportive family than an impersonal gym.
Finally, I’ve found it is important to take two days each week off from exercise; this gives me more time to do other tights and allows my body to rest.
My "logic" for aiming for exercise almost every day is based on what our ancestors did tens, hundreds of thousands of years ago - as our bodies evolved. I doubt there was a "day off" from searching for food, running away from the animals that would kill and eat you, etc. I am sure some days were more active and intense than others -- BUT no full day of relaxation and complete rest.

Post by 2015 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:17 pm

Prudence wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:04 pm
2015 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:59 pm
I've recommended Body by Science and The High Intensity Fitness Revolution books previously. These two books transformed my workout and my physiology even though I had been working out for about 4 decades before reading THIFR and later reading BBS this summer. I've never looked better in all the years I've been working out, never spent less time working out, and never been as injury free (zero injuries after reading THIFR and changing workout about 5 years ago).

I'm now of the persuasion that you have to go slow with this stuff, that what's important more than anything is finding something you will stick to. All the books in the world are useless if you are one of these endless people who stream into the gym every January only to disappear by February 1.

Since I was 30, I've believed age is a mental disease, socially contagious as society has a lot invested in believing with age comes limitations. Inoculating myself from this myth has provided extraordinary benefits. My intention is to mimic the aging of bodybuilders, who keep in good health, energy, and vitality until almost the final of year of life, at which time they deteriorate rapidly and then pass away. This requires judicious attention to diet and exercise, but to me it's worth it. I have no interest in lifespan without healthspan.
Great advice. Personally, I do cardio (recumbent bike) seven days a week at a very high intensity setting. After many years of weight training three or four days per week I also switched to a high intensity workout approach. Every three days, I do the full workout (just one set per exercise, upper and lower body). I feel better and it has saved me a lot of time. See Doug McGuff on youtube for a high intensity workout.
Excellent! I think what's most important is to find a workout/diet regimen that we can personally stick to. What good is someone else's draconian diet or too hard exercise routine if we ourselves can't stick to it? I believe it's totally possible to minimize the effects of decline in aging with the right attitude, diet and exercise strategy, and optimized relationship with health care providers (i.e., invest in obtaining all tests, immunizations, procedures appropriate for one's age at each life stage) that works for us as an individual.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:30 pm

I have a 102-year-old house I'm renovating for the 3rd time since 1980 so I can sell it and move in with my girlfriend of 3 years. I have a boat and trailer and like to bass fish, a 50" riding mower, a push mower, a 5'x8' trash trailer that I renovated, two chainsaws, a pole pruner, a 28' extension ladder, a 20-footer and a bunch of little ones along with all the hand and power tools and a pressure washer. I also enjoy target shooting and walking the dog.

I know I've forgotten something. I must be tired. :) My girlfriend is 62 and used to be a competitive runner and swimmer.

I'm 67 and just hanging in there after 5 years of retirement. I wish I had time to exercise. Working out in carpeted air conditioned comfort has always sounded like fun. I used to play handball at the YMCA, but it got too crowded.

At least I don't own any rental property I have to maintain, but I am shopping for a second boat and a slip at the marina down the road.

Whew. :beer

So what's my work out schedule? I'll ask my girlfriend what I should do next. :)

Calli114

Post by Calli114 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:33 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:09 am
Calli114 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:57 am
retire14 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:23 pm
Thank you for all your replies. Seemed to me that I do not need the rest days (which I thought was important for my aging body to recover), so I will be adding another strength day and another cardio day. Plus looks like I could increase my cardio a notch both in intensity and length. Thank you.
A book I need to read again is "Younger Next Year", the co-author compares aging to an incessant erosive tide and for that reason prefers no rest days, or one at the most. It is a humorous read, written by a retired lawyer and his doctor who is trying to keep him in shape.
Okay, thanks for posting that.

I ordered the book.
"Younger Next Year: Live Strong, Fit, and Sexy - Until You're 80 and Beyond" by Chris Crowley
https://www.amazon.com/Younger-Next-Yea ... +next+year
Humorously, the last time I think I felt strong, fit and sexy was when disco music was popular. :shock:
j :D
Hope you like it!

Calli114

Post by Calli114 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:36 pm

dm200 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:26 am
livesoft wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:46 am
Calli114 wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:57 am
It is a humorous read, written by a retired lawyer and his doctor who is trying to keep him in shape.
His doctor died of cancer at age 58: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/14/book ... -year.html
Yes I saw that - Prostate Cancer. I saw that his father died two days before.
Wow, I had not seen that. Pretty young.

wshang

Post by wshang » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:10 pm

57 yo physician with ACSM certification. As a clarification, although the term "cardio" is used all the time, physiologically, there is no such thing as cardiopulmonary exercise. All exercise is "cardio." The difference is whether you are exercising your Type 1 muscle fibers designed for aerobic metabolism or using resistance training to exercise Type 2 muscle (glycolytic) fibers which are responsible for strength (and deteriorate faster with time.) Let me suggest using a pyramid method of resistance training when attempting to reach "momentary failure". It has the advantage of strengthening the tendons also. Most high repetition, low weights won't help tendon strength. Feeling delayed muscle soreness the next day and resting enough days to let the fibers rebuild until the next session is the way to go.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:45 pm

retire14 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:47 am
Just curious, what is your weekly work-out routines for those in the 60s?
For me--I just added weight training the last 3 months

M: Cardio (40 mins) Stretch (15 mins)
T: weight (30 mins), slow cardio (20mins) stretch (15 mi)
W: Rest
Th: Repeat Monday
F: Repeat Tuesday
Sat: Rest
Sun: Repeat Monday to start cycle again.

Is this good? Should I add anything on my rest days? I would like to add more weight lifting than 2 times/week, but cannot find enough days. Maybe I will do longer in the 2 sessions instead?
I am not in my 60s but will throw in my two cents.

1. Start slowly and with a professional especially if you have not been active, or intensely active, either recently or ever. Avoid injury.
2. Doing something, anything, is better than nothing.
3. But intensity really matters. A 20 minute Sprint workout is much better for you than walking slowly for an hour. But see number 1.
4. Resistance training is very important, can be without weights per se if you use body weight, resistance bands, etc. But make sure intensity is appropriate.

Take your rest days, don't compete with the guy twenty years younger, and listen to your body. Do find a partner to prod and encourage you and occasionally compete against.

gips

Post by gips » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:06 pm

age - 61

tennis - 2-3 times per week, har tru surface
bicycle - 45 minutes, 3 times per week (stationary if the weather doesn't cooperate)
weight training - 3 times per week, using dumbells. Once I'm done with weights, I move to situps and planks

sometimes I swap swimming laps for the bike
thinking about yoga

Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:19 am

Every 3-6 months a fitness-related post appears here. That's great! For many years, I've observed that many if not most posting Bogleheads have some kind of workout/exercise routine.

Some regimens are more involved or complicated or sophisticated than others. But frankly, my takeaway is that SOMETHING is better than NOTHING. If one is motivated to do more and not harm him/herself, that's a good thing.

Regardless of what the media and experts tell me, imho there is no one perfect workout routine. So just do something!

I'm 71 and have a MWF bodyweight-only workout that includes pull-ups, pushups, squats, and planks. On many days I also walk 3 miles. (I stopped using weights when I kept getting minor injuries and strains; pull-ups and pushups just don't seem to affect me that way.)

(btw, most people--men and women--can learn to do pull-ups, which I consider one of the greatest upper-body exercises of all time. Remember, at some point in our evolution, we could all swing through the trees. 8-) )
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:10 pm

Jazztonight wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:19 am
Every 3-6 months a fitness-related post appears here. That's great! For many years, I've observed that many if not most posting Bogleheads have some kind of workout/exercise routine.

Some regimens are more involved or complicated or sophisticated than others. But frankly, my takeaway is that SOMETHING is better than NOTHING. If one is motivated to do more and not harm him/herself, that's a good thing.

Regardless of what the media and experts tell me, imho there is no one perfect workout routine. So just do something!

I'm 71 and have a MWF bodyweight-only workout that includes pull-ups, pushups, squats, and planks. On many days I also walk 3 miles. (I stopped using weights when I kept getting minor injuries and strains; pull-ups and pushups just don't seem to affect me that way.)

(btw, most people--men and women--can learn to do pull-ups, which I consider one of the greatest upper-body exercises of all time. Remember, at some point in our evolution, we could all swing through the trees. 8-) )
I can no longer swing from tree to tree,
But I do try to do something daily 😎
Aloha
Jim🌺

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:08 pm

wshang wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:10 pm
57 yo physician with ACSM certification. As a clarification, although the term "cardio" is used all the time, physiologically, there is no such thing as cardiopulmonary exercise. All exercise is "cardio." The difference is whether you are exercising your Type 1 muscle fibers designed for aerobic metabolism or using resistance training to exercise Type 2 muscle (glycolytic) fibers which are responsible for strength (and deteriorate faster with time.)
Resistance training definitely engages Type 1 muscle fibers, and if the load is heavy enough or moved fast enough, also engages Type 2 fibers. (See Henneman's Size Principle).

Similarly, some types of "cardio" training (repeated bouts of stair sprints, for example) will also engage both muscle types.

And while I agree that many of the adaptations that occur during various types of training are at the muscular level, there are definitely cardiac adaptations as well. A marathon runner will develop eccentric left ventricular hypertropy; a weightlifter, concentric LVH.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2300466/

A simple, clear way to parse training and exercise is by the adaptation sought: endurance vs. speed vs. strength vs. power, etc.
Last edited by CFM300 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:18 pm

squirm wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:54 pm
I really don't think you need books. Just get your heart rate up for cardio and for lifting you should be a little sore the following day.
There is no need for lifting to make you sore beyond the first couple of sessions. A simple linear progression (small but steady increase in load each training session) can allow a novice lifter to double or triple their squat, deadlift, bench, press, etc. with no soreness. I know because I do this all the time with high school kids, middle-aged adults, and the elderly.

Tarm

Post by Tarm » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:34 pm

After I retired I got into recreational logging. Recreational logging is commercial logging without the expectation of making any money. I think 3-4 hours a day of hard physical labor throwing around a chainsaw and stacking several tons of pulpwood is more than enough exercise for this 64 year old man.

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:51 pm

i highly recommend yoga

if you have a smart TV - it's very easy to do at home off youtube

do not knock it til you try it [it is an incredible workout]

wshang

Post by wshang » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:18 pm

CFM300 wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:08 pm
A marathon runner will develop eccentric left ventricular hypertropy; a weightlifter, concentric LVH.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2300466/

A simple, clear way to parse training and exercise is by the adaptation sought: endurance vs. speed vs. strength vs. power, etc.
This opinion piece is interesting, but does not mention the emerging and fascinating role of microRNA driven cardiac remodeling by skeletal muscle signaling: (From the same year of publication)

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra072139

My own way of parsing exercise is disease process directed. Commonly I see people trying to become lean but not realizing it is resulting in sarcopenia (accelerated wasting of muscle) and eventual disability. If your goal is to reverse insulin resistance (that tire ring around the waist) and treat hypertension, prediabetes and gout, for example, then RT is often the missing piece.

As always, I am very impressed by the percentage of BH's who are meeting the ENTIRE exercise guidelines for adults by adding resistance training.

pryan

Post by pryan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:41 pm

I stumbled on to a HIIT class at my gym called zone training about two years ago. I do this three times a week and alternate a spinning class three times a week as well. I also incorporate a TRX workout three times a week as well. Prior to this I had been primarily a runner for the better part of 40 years. I find the intervals do a much better job for me in weight control and overall health.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:52 pm

Being retired exercise and volunteer work is our primary activity with house/garden projects/chores a close second.

This schedule varies a little but it is representation of a typical 7 day week.
1 hour Yoga or Pilates 3-4 days a week, 1 hour racquetball or tennis 2 days a week, 45 minutes intensive weight training 4 times a week, 1.5-2.5 mile walk 4-5 days a week.

In addition (about 7-8 months per year) approx 13 hours per week performing physical labor volunteer work (basic carpentry/construction).

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:53 pm

wshang wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:18 pm
My own way of parsing exercise is disease process directed. Commonly I see people trying to become lean but not realizing it is resulting in sarcopenia (accelerated wasting of muscle) and eventual disability. If your goal is to reverse insulin resistance (that tire ring around the waist) and treat hypertension, prediabetes and gout, for example, then RT is often the missing piece.
If you haven't read The Barbell Prescription by Jonathan Sullivan MD/PhD, you should. You'd enjoy it.

Here's the original article, "Barbell Training is Big Medicine," which led to the much more expansive book.

https://startingstrength.com/contentfil ... llivan.pdf

Prudence

Post by Prudence » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:26 am

Another question. After lifting I have been taking GNC ANC Extreme 60 protein supplement for many years now. So, maybe two or three times per week. I am 71. I wonder if at this age I should stop the supplement or modify the routine. I eat plenty of protein (eggs, chicken, fish etc.). The Extreme 60 tastes good and always gets good reviews. But, it is expensive and I have always wondered if it really is that much better than the stuff I could buy at Costco. So, I wonder if others have any experience to share.

wshang

Post by wshang » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:09 am

Prudence wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:26 am
After lifting I have been taking GNC ANC Extreme 60 protein supplement . . . . But, it is expensive and I have always wondered if it really is that much better than the stuff I could buy at Costco. So, I wonder if others have any experience to share.
Here is the most recent 2017 position statement from the International Society of Sports Nutrition (ISSN). Not mentioned in this summary is for individuals over the age of 55, the timing of protein intake becomes less critical as they gradually develop resistance to the immediate muscle stimulus of protein ingestion, a phenomenon called "anabolic resistance." This should answer most of your questions:

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/article ... 017-0177-8
“. . . extraordinary wealth can be made by knowing the future" - Harry Dent

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:48 am

Prudence wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:26 am
Another question. After lifting I have been taking GNC ANC Extreme 60 protein supplement for many years now. So, maybe two or three times per week. I am 71. I wonder if at this age I should stop the supplement or modify the routine. I eat plenty of protein (eggs, chicken, fish etc.). The Extreme 60 tastes good and always gets good reviews. But, it is expensive and I have always wondered if it really is that much better than the stuff I could buy at Costco. So, I wonder if others have any experience to share.
I couldn't find "GNC ANC Extreme 60 protein" but did find GNC AMP Extreme 60 protein. If the label is accurate (and that's always an unknown, given the poor regulation of the supplement industry), that's a good protein powder, but yeah, it's expensive. PM me if you want a recommendation for a less expensive protein powder.

The current thinking is that it's leucine that triggers muscle protein synthesis (MPS), not just protein in general, with approximately 2.5 gms of leucine being the threshold dose. There is then a three- to five-hour refractory period before MPS can be triggered again. So the general advice for those looking to build muscle is to ingest at least 2.5 gms of leucine every four hours.

You can look up the leucine content for your other sources of protein and the quantity you consume. In general, you'll find that animal sources are pretty high in leucine. 30 grams of animal protein will typically provide at least 2.5 grams of leucine, I think. That GNC power provides 2.56 grams of leucine per 20 grams of protein per 26 grams of product. Again, that's pretty good if true. In general, older adults are more anabolically resistant, and thus need MORE protein (leucine) to trigger MPS.

Resistance training itself can trigger MPS, provided there's adequate protein. In contrast, other types of training can impede MPS (like long bout of steady-state cardio), so that's something to consider as well.

Ultimately, you have to pay attention to what's happening with your own body and then make reasonable adjustments to your training and eating.

AlwaysBeClimbing

Post by AlwaysBeClimbing » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:12 pm

MWF - resistance training using body weight and iron (high reps with modest weight)
TThSa- abs and dance
Week days - 45 min walk+sprints OR cycle 15 miles on river path at a very brisk pace ( bad weather use wind trainer )
Weekends - speed hike the local mountains

No exceptions, save illness(rare)

MP173

Post by MP173 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:12 pm

62 years old here.

Last fall I changed my routine when I headed to the gym. During the summer months I ride my bike about 4-5x week - typically 70 - 80 minutes at 130 and above heartrate. Then to the gym when the weather changes.

This time, I wanted to include weights and other things. This is my typical workout:

40 minutes on exercise bike - heart rate will be between 100 - 125.
Free weights / dumb bell workout - typically 7 items, 3 sets per item with 60 second break between sets. I have three groupings which I alternate.
Floor stuff - stretch, 3 sets of crunches, perhaps pushups, planks, etc.
Expresso exercize bike - I end with this....it has "routes" with various hills and difficulties. I will typically push much harder on this than the original exercise bike. My heartrate on this will usually be in the 125-150 range. This is very similar to an outside ride for me with hills.

Try to do this about 4-5 x week. Certain days I dont "feel it" and may skip Expresso or weights. I monitor the intensity of the workout by how many calories are "burned" per my heart rate monitor. A low day will be 700-800 calories and most days if all of the above is done it will be 1100 -1250 calories.

I have dropped about 8 pounds (less than expected) but the upper body is slowly transforming with added muscle.

Should be ready to roll when the biking season returns.

Ed

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:16 pm

Bir48die wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:27 pm
1) Do some cardio at least 3x per week. Could be walking, running, swimming or a class. Some will be low impact and some high impact. What you do will depend on your body and what it can take. I have done high impact until knees were worked on years ago then sciatica and other crap. Now I mellow a lot of that out and walk on treadmill with inclines. I agree that you shoot for at least 45 minutes
I'm 62 and have occasional moderate knee pains. When I discussed with my doctor, I happened to mention that I did some treadmill, he suggested I get off the treadmill and instead do the elliptical. I've been doing that for the past few weeks, and it does seem to help, and doesn't have even the small impact that walking on a treadmill causes.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:25 pm

I'm age 73. Hope if it's OK to respond to "60s" thread.

I go to a gym at a near-by military base daily. I work on all parts of my frame each day for about an hour or so. Most of the others that are present when I work out each AM are in their 20's. I have been advised on many occasions that my daily attendance has inspired younger military folks to "get after it" even if they really feel like skipping a day.

I gain much from them also. We Americans have a dedicated bunch of youngsters who serve us in the military. I see them daily.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

alexander29

Post by alexander29 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:55 pm

For encouragement, I too recommend the book "Younger Next Year" by Crowley, aimed at older folk. It urges some kind of exercise six days a week. At 66, I alternate the gym, swimming, walking, occasionally biking, chores - all to keep from getting bored. I see some older folks at the gym who work out furiously for a few weeks, pull a muscle or make themselves exhausted, and never come back. I'm also doing doctor-prescribed physical therapy for my lower back: the therapist has been adept at pinpointing weak muscles that give me back problems. Ouch - he's trying to straighten out my pretzel posture! I was spending too much energy on exercises that were counter-productive, and not enough on the ones that help. Some kind of trainer can be worthwhile.

lws6772

Post by lws6772 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:57 pm

Mon thru Fri - med. to heavy physical labor 8 hrs a day, Sat - watch the grandson and LA Fitness 4 to 5 times a week.