Rolex

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ADower

Rolex

Post by ADower » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:43 pm

For those who have a Rolex;

I am looking into purchasing my first Rolex and am wondering if you guys can recommend a place to check out online that might be better price wise than a brick and mortar dealer.

Thanks in advance.

robertmcd

Re: Rolex

Post by robertmcd » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:47 pm

HQ milton has nice pre owned models. Jomashop would be a good gray market dealer to look at, but honestly with a Rolex, the discounts you can find on a new model are not worth the loss of the papers and certificate, etc. Buy it from the store, keep the box and papers pristine, take it in for servicing and refinishing on their schedule (i think its 10 years now), and it will hold it's value very well, especially if it is a steel model.

ADower

Post by ADower » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:49 pm

robertmcd wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:47 pm
HQ milton has nice pre owned models. Jomashop would be a good gray market dealer to look at, but honestly with a Rolex, the discounts you can find on a new model are not worth the loss of the papers and certificate, etc. Buy it from the store, keep the box and papers pristine, take it in for servicing and refinishing on their schedule (i think its 10 years now), and it will hold it's value very well, especially if it is a steel model.
Thank you for the response. I saw several online places such as the ones you mentioned including bobs watches. I definitely want to get a brand new model so I have the papers/certificate.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:50 pm

Wow -- 1100 point drop and a Rolex question! Clicked to see if this was "who wants to buy a Rolex?" :D

Otherwise, just a bump. There are some great sites that others will weigh in with. Like Rolexforums, watchuseek...

DS sends me links all the time; he's the only male heir to the 'doo family "fortune" and I think he's planning ahead :D
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

ADower

Post by ADower » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:53 pm

daveydoo wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:50 pm
Wow -- 1100 point drop and a Rolex question! Clicked to see if this was "who wants to buy a Rolex?" :D

Otherwise, just a bump. There are some great sites that others will weigh in with. Like Rolexforums, watchuseek...

DS sends me links all the time; he's the only male heir to the 'doo family "fortune" and I think he's planning ahead :D
The brick and mortar places I've been to are DeVon's and some local smaller retailers. I am a big fan of supporting local business but am also wanting to get the best deal.

Do you know if each retailer can price the Rolex at the price they chose? Or does Rolex regulate that?

I am also not opposed to buying a brand new one from an online retailer as long as they're authorized.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:00 pm

ADower wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:53 pm

Do you know if each retailer can price the Rolex at the price they chose? Or does Rolex regulate that?
Imposter here since I'm not an owner -- just an admirer. My understanding is that the prices are set (although there may be extra markups somewhere). Gray-market online is a little different and others will know more. Relationship with a dealer gets you dibs on a limited-release or limited-distribution model that you've fallen in love with and just gotta have. Like a Ferrari. I'm happy to stay out of those waters :D

If I were to buy, I'd buy a steel low-end new. Anything else, I'd buy used. Savings on used steel is modest. Savings on yellow gold for some models looks almost like car depreciation to me.

Where's Petrocelli...?

Serie1926

Post by Serie1926 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:06 pm

Some good recommendations at the following.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threa ... om.564000/

gasman

Post by gasman » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:11 pm

My understanding is that rolex limits the floor that retailers are not allowed to sell new watches below. I believe that they are free to mark up above that. For used watches, that does not apply. Consider buying out of state and shipping to save on state sales taxes. If you buy, Save your box, receipt, and paperwork. Having this original stuff adds to resale value.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:20 pm

ADower wrote:

The brick and mortar places I've been to are DeVon's and some local smaller retailers. I am a big fan of supporting local business but am also wanting to get the best deal.
Don't go to a brick-and-mortar store. The watches are really gorgeous in person. :shock: As my car-guy FIL said, "Never test-drive a car you can't afford!"

ADower

Post by ADower » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:53 pm

daveydoo wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:20 pm
ADower wrote:

Don't go to a brick-and-mortar store. The watches are really gorgeous in person. :shock: As my car-guy FIL said, "Never test-drive a car you can't afford!"
Absolutely. I only went into the store because I can afford one now. It's just a thing of finding the best price that I can.

nasrullah

Post by nasrullah » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:03 pm

ADower wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:43 pm

I am looking into purchasing my first Rolex and am wondering if you guys can recommend a place to check out online that might be better price wise than a brick and mortar dealer.

Thanks in advance.
Check out RolexForums.com, but the most important thing for you to do is have the original box and papers with the watch. This drastically impacts the value of the watch long term.
"We have a lot to do, and very little time, so we must work slowly." Liviu Ciulei | | Thanks vineviz (https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=134698) for the quote.

dpm321

Post by dpm321 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:35 pm

robertmcd wrote:
And then some. Bought my first Rolex in 1984 for $1200 (stainless and 18kt date just). The same watch sells for around $7000 and still looks and runs great. Prices are fixed by Rolex for watches sold at reputable dealers. If you're getting a discount be cautious. This is probably the most counterfeited watch brand in the world.

ADower

Post by ADower » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:12 pm

dpm321 wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:35 pm
robertmcd wrote:
And then some. Bought my first Rolex in 1984 for $1200 (stainless and 18kt date just). The same watch sells for around $7000 and still looks and runs great. Prices are fixed by Rolex for watches sold at reputable dealers. If you're getting a discount be cautious. This is probably the most counterfeited watch brand in the world.
I plan to only buy from a reputable dealer. I've seen a few thousand dollar ($1,500 - $2,200) difference at the few brick and mortar stores I've visited. Anything substantially more than that and I am raising my eye brow.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:34 pm

As a window shopper I always browse on bobswatches.com
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:16 am

Go to a small independent watch store in a mall. Offer cash for a 33% discount.

This worked when I bought my omega in 2005.

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:27 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:16 am
But cash is only 3% better than a card, right? I doubt one could sell a brand new Rolex "under the table" and not report it. Maybe a used one in a pawn shop or other cash-only business. [Moderators: this is speculation and not an endorsement]

Most things in "jewelry stores" are marked up at least 30% and are easily negotiated down, imo.

Bogle826

Post by Bogle826 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:29 am

ADower wrote:

Thanks in advance.
If you are buying new, find a few stores near you and check out the piece you want. It's more convenient to get the bracelet sized perfectly in-store and easier to bring it back should any problems arise (such as the watch running faster than +2/-2 per second or you want a tighter / looser fit etc...).

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:23 am

daveydoo wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:27 am
unclescrooge wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:16 am
But cash is only 3% better than a card, right? I doubt one could sell a brand new Rolex "under the table" and not report it.
Not under the table but if they are listing the price for $10,000; and you pay $7,000 - perhaps they claim they sold it for $5,000 saving them more than the 3%.
I would still find it hard to believe that a heavily discounted price at a brick-and-mortar would be cheaper than an online price.

ADower

Post by ADower » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:53 am

For anyone who has purchased a Rolex at a brick and mortar. Did you try to negotiate price? If so, what did you use for price justification. Were the dealers open to negotiation?

I'm sure that most brick and mortar stores have a substantial markup due to overhead / staffing.

Bogle826

Post by Bogle826 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:34 pm

ADower wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:53 am
For anyone who has purchased a Rolex at a brick and mortar. Did you try to negotiate price? If so, what did you use for price justification. Were the dealers open to negotiation?

I'm sure that most brick and mortar stores have a substantial markup due to overhead / staffing.
Online doesn't always have the lowest price - it's based on supply and demand of the overall online market which is vast. A local shop has the supply and demand of a particular area (if business is slow that month, what do you think they would do?).

Price justification is actually very simple and you already mentioned why you want to buy online, because it's cheaper. Just let the B&M dealer know what you already know. Look at some prices online and ask B&M rep whether he/she can match or come close to it.

Also you haven't mentioned what model you're interested in? if you're looking at popular models such as Daytona ceramic, you probably won't get any discount whether it's online or B&M.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:59 pm

You best bet is to sign up for Rolex Forums and buy from the classifieds. There are many 'trusted sellers' with brand new watches available, still has the stickers, come with box & papers and full factory warranty of 5 years.

Look here for classifieds:
https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

Seller feedback:
https://www.rolexforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

If you don't wish to sign up for TRF, I suggest you browse these sites, these are trusted sellers from TRF with their own online storefront:
https://davidsw.com/
http://www.sdwatches.com/

Contact them if you are looking for something specific.
ADower wrote:

Yes, you can get a discount at the dealer, depending on the model:
- Gold and two tone watches, expect 10-20% discount
- Stainless Steel, likely no discount these days
- 'Hot' Stainless models (eg. Sea Dweller 43mm, Daytona): prepare to sign up for a waiting list and expect to wait months, pay full MSRP + Tax

These hot models sell for above MSRP at grey dealers.

Enzo IX

Post by Enzo IX » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:20 pm

Currently there is a shortage on the stainless steel sport watches and prices are up a couple of thousand dollars over a year ago. Probably has something to do with surge in the world economy and stock market.

If you are looking for a ceramic bezel Submariner, ceramic GMT, or ceramic Daytona you wlll have a hard time finding a good deal on a new or used one.

I have personally been watching for a Rolex black and blue GMT batman but am having a hard time pulling the trigger on one with prices where they currently stand.

Bob's watches and CRM jewelers is where I have been monitoring prices. CRM jewelers has an interesting YouTube channel that I like watching.

Good luck in your search.

ADower

Post by ADower » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:55 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:59 pm
You best bet is to sign up for Rolex Forums and buy from the classifieds. There are many 'trusted sellers' with brand new watches available, still has the stickers, come with box & papers and full factory warranty of 5 years.

Seller feedback:

If you don't wish to sign up for TRF, I suggest you browse these sites, these are trusted sellers from TRF with their own online storefront:

ADower wrote:

- 'Hot' Stainless models (eg. Sea Dweller 43mm, Daytona): prepare to sign up for a waiting list and expect to wait months, pay full MSRP + Tax

Good to know. I am looking at the 41mm rose gold day date. Ife seen prices at brick and mortar from 32-35k.

rotorhead

Post by rotorhead » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:13 pm

ADower, I don't have any advice about how or where to get the best deal on a Rolex right now; but just want to tell you I have worn a Rolex Stainless GMT Master since 1973. Purchased at my good friend, Alex Cheung's shop in the Shaw Centre, at corner of Orchard Road and Scott's Road in Singapore. As I recall, paid about US$375 for it - was pretty expensive at the time. It's a beautifully crafted time piece; and I've had great satisfaction in wearing it. Have it cleaned and serviced periodically by proper service shop; it will last forever.

As other posters have noted, there are lots of counterfeits out there; so know your merchant. On that note, when I lived in Hong Kong in the '80s, I used to be accosted frequently on the street by hawkers, selling phonies. "Copy Rolex?" My response always was to show them my arm and say, "No thanks, I already got one." Took some small sense of satisfaction in that. :wink:

Bogle826

Post by Bogle826 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:57 pm

Enzo IX wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:20 pm
Currently there is a shortage on the stainless steel sport watches and prices are up a couple of thousand dollars over a year ago. Probably has something to do with surge in the world economy and stock market.

If you are looking for a ceramic bezel Submariner, ceramic GMT, or ceramic Daytona you wlll have a hard time finding a good deal on a new or used one.

I have personally been watching for a Rolex black and blue GMT batman but am having a hard time pulling the trigger on one with prices where they currently stand.

Bob's watches and CRM jewelers is where I have been monitoring prices. CRM jewelers has an interesting YouTube channel that I like watching.

Interesting to know; so how much is a batman these days? discounts were hard to come by even before the shortage. also is the shortage due to low supply or high demand?

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:54 pm

This thread makes an Apple Watch look cheap.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:40 am

Bogle826 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:57 pm
Enzo IX wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:20 pm

Interesting to know; so how much is a batman these days? discounts were hard to come by even before the shortage. also is the shortage due to low supply or high demand?
Very close to 10k, figure 9k for a used one. Shortage is due to low supply and high demand.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:42 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:54 pm
Maybe, maybe not:
An Apple Watch will be outdated in 2 years and need to be replaced. A Rolex will last multiple lifetimes.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:19 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:42 am
Dottie57 wrote:
Maybe, maybe not:
An Apple Watch will be outdated in 2 years and need to be replaced. A Rolex will last multiple lifetimes.
I keep my Apple equipment for a long time.

TSR

Post by TSR » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:37 pm

I recently purchased a used watch from https://davidsw.com/. The transaction was exceptionally smooth, and I couldn't recommend him more. Best of luck.

naples09

Post by naples09 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:46 pm

sunny_socal wrote:

Seller feedback:

ADower wrote:

The above x100

Gold DD could be had at a mom and pop AD for 20% off. Otherwise go through DAVIDSW He will source one from an AD with your name on the warranty card.

Cash

Post by Cash » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:34 am

sunny_socal wrote:

Seller feedback:

ADower wrote:

+1 to all of this. I've personally met with and purchased from DavidSW, who has a store in Florida. But I would be fine purchasing from any of the trusted sellers on TRF or TimeZone.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:04 am

Go to your local jeweler. They may have watches there on consignment. I was at the jewler getting my watch fixed and they had a Rolex at a great price. They also had a catalog of reconditioned Rolex's.

I think this would be the best way. Online Rolex's may have fake internal parts. Be careful.

indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:05 am

ADower wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Go to your local jeweler. They may have watches there on consignment. I was at the jewler getting my watch fixed and they had a Rolex at a great price. They also had a catalog of reconditioned Rolex's.

I think this would be the best way. Online Rolex's may have fake internal parts. Be careful.

welderwannabe

Post by welderwannabe » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:40 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Sunny_socal is bang on here. I bought my last one from a reputable guy on Rolex forums. Saved several thousand bucks and the watch was basically brand new. There are top notch sellers on that forum.
I am not an investment professional, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

midareff

Post by midareff » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:56 am

I worked downtown Miami for many years and had some friends in the jewelry business. Picked up a brand new grey market Datejust about 20 years ago from the Seybold Arcade for lots off and a Presidential that looked brand new with the sticker still on it from my friend at less than half of retail.

Have since sold the Presidential as I felt it was too visible making me too much of a target @ 70 wearing it, so I didn't, and after owning it for probably 18 years or so sold it back for what I had paid for it. Wouldn't mind a white gold Patek Calatrava at this point which is much less visible to pair with the Datejust, but it certainly isn't a need and my free cash flow goes for travel at this point.
Last edited by midareff on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:00 am

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

leod

Post by leod » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:31 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
Maybe, maybe not:
maybe, but if you factor in the rolex maintenance, it could be cheaper to keep replacing the apple watch in the long run

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:48 am

leod wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:31 am
DaftInvestor wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:
Maybe, maybe not:
maybe, but if you factor in the rolex maintenance, it could be cheaper to keep replacing the apple watch in the long run
It's probably a wash. A rolex needs service maybe every 10 years, figure $500-1000 each time. You'll go through several $500 Apple watches during that time.

mayday23

Post by mayday23 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:05 pm

I'm about to pull the trigger on a used one today. Prices seemed to have run up during xmas, then fallen a tiny bit since.

Went to 5 stores in Paris, 2 in Melbourne and all basically laughed at me when I asked if they had one in stock.

wassabi

Post by wassabi » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:03 pm

mayday23 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:05 pm
I'm about to pull the trigger on a used one today. Prices seemed to have run up during xmas, then fallen a tiny bit since.

Went to 5 stores in Paris, 2 in Melbourne and all basically laughed at me when I asked if they had one in stock.
Are you purchasing online or brick and mortar? What kind of price are you getting? I've been watching the same model: 116710B.

Enzo IX

Post by Enzo IX » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:39 am

The Rolex green Hulk submariner is another watch that has gone through the roof in the last couple of years. It was a $7,000 watch all day long a year and a half ago. Now they are going for $10,500 to $11,500 on the used market.

Also the Rolex Daytona worn by Paul Newman sold at auction for $17.5 million not too long ago.

naples09

Post by naples09 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:51 am

Enzo IX wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:39 am
The Rolex green Hulk submariner is another watch that has gone through the roof in the last couple of years. It was a $7,000 watch all day long a year and a half ago. Now they are going for $10,500 to $11,500 on the used market.

Also the Rolex Daytona worn by Paul Newman sold at auction for $17.5 million not too long ago.
Yeah that auction was crazy. I’m just happy to have the Daytona C! $17.5 for a watch is crazy.

mayday23

Post by mayday23 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:52 pm

wassabi wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:03 pm
mayday23 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:05 pm

Are you purchasing online or brick and mortar? What kind of price are you getting? I've been watching the same model: 116710B.
Reputable 2nd hand/grey dealer over internet. $9300 used in excellent condition.

I created an xls back in Sept/Oct and they were going for $8900-$9100, so there's been a decent runup in it.

EvelynTroy

Post by EvelynTroy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:50 am

Longshot, but if by chance you know someone who works in Saudi Arabia (not sure about neighboring countries like The Emeritates ) - but major Saudi cities have authorized Rolex dealers - cost used to be more than half the u.s. price. That person could purcase for you and bring back.

I purchased a gold (forget the model name) ladies. Wore it 8-9 years happily - then lost interest in it. Sold it to my local jeweler for more than I paid for it.
Evelyn

Candor

Post by Candor » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:45 pm

sunny_socal wrote:

Seller feedback:

ADower wrote:

TRF is a great place to start with many trusted/honest sellers. DD of course.