Financially secure, horrible workplace but just can't FIRE

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jminv

Re: Financially secure, horrible workplace but just can't FIRE

Post by jminv » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:46 pm

fsrph wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:41 pm
I'm having a hard time retiring and trying to figure out what's holding me back. I have thought about this a lot. I've heard it's better to retire to something rather than away from something. But what if your job is so bad you have to get out? My job was fine for decades. I work in healthcare and 7 years ago the facility was bought by a for profit hospital chain. Everything became progressively worse and as the chain became financially unstable things became even more difficult. Now it is truly horrendous. In the last few years about 50% of the workers in my department left for better opportunities.

So why do I stay? I'm 58 years old and figure I'll retire from this job but just can't pull the trigger. The finances are in great shape, that's not the problem. Sometimes I feel like I should just try and last a few more years other times it's get out ASAP. My mind goes back and forth and all this thinking and analyzing is driving me crazy. Any other Bogleheads ever feel like this? Is it just make a decision and stick to it? Any tips you can give me? Thanks.

Francis
A job you hate is unhealthy for you by definition. You say you're financially secure and the decision is between staying or retiring (not moving somewhere else). You should retire! The added stress of staying at a miserable workplace could shorten your lifespan and in any case make you more and more miserable. You've been saving all of these years and might not get to enjoy the best time of your life. Quit it while you can and enjoy retirement. Laugh about the suckers stuck at the miserable workplace while you're sipping cocktails on a beach.

ColoradoRick

Post by ColoradoRick » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:58 pm

I would guess you are terrified of making the wrong decision. 2 suggestions: 1) make pros/cons list; assign importance to each, not weigh all equally.

Second suggestion: you are afraid because it is irrevocable. Give yourself some credit that you will be able to figure it out. Face the fear. Accept the fact that you might be uncomfortable for a little while. Work on developing new friendships and maintaining current ones. Men in their 50s are particularly bad at this. However I have found if you are a good friend to someone, they will become great friends. Ask them questions about their favorite subject (themselves.) Remember the answers or write them down if you have to.

There are worse things in life than being uncomfortable for a short period of time. Like dying with a lot of money in the bank and not retiring.

It is a process....read some books. Realize that one way or the other the decision will be made. Why not make it your decision, not your bosses. I decided to retire 4 years early even though I took a ~32% hit on Social Security. What is the value of 4 years? Had some adjustment but never regretted it for a minute. If you say it's (your job) horrible its a no brainer. Worse case get another job in 1-2 years if it doesn't work out. Had a neighbor die at 67, co worker at 59. WHY?

MJW

Post by MJW » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:25 am

As far as horrible workplaces go, given how many resources are available out there to help companies avoid being awful places to work, there is no justification for being awful. There just isn't. Mediocre? Sure. But, awful? Nah. Why allow them to benefit another day from your efforts?

RRAAYY3

Post by RRAAYY3 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:32 am

You didn’t quit yet ?!

It’s already Tuesday

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:33 pm

If you dont need the money and you cant stand the polace... the only thing I can think of is hat you are afraid you wont know how to fill your time?

SOulnd like you need to fins some new hobbies. Consider travel. Take up golf or skiing (or both). Build a sailboat. Learn mountaineering. Get a pilots license. Write a book. Take art classes. Hike across Europe.

You get the idea....

Most of all, enjoy yourself.

socraticbogler

Post by socraticbogler » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:50 pm

So... did you quit?