Costco Kirkland Brand Toothpaste

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
BolderBoy

Costco Kirkland Brand Toothpaste

Post by BolderBoy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:50 pm

Has Costco discontinued this? I'm asking here because my local warehouse doesn't know the answer. Did a Google search and the results were ambiguous.

When I was in the Costco last week, a floor manager queried the computer for the nearest Costco which had the product (while I looked at the computer screen) and it appeared to show -0- for the entire Western USA.

Anyone know for sure what is going on?
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

HJG0989

Re: Costco Kirkland Brand Toothpaste

Post by HJG0989 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:37 pm

I tried to buy some about three months and they didn't have any. The employee I talked to didn't know whether it was just out of stock or discontinued.

ETadvisor

Post by ETadvisor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:41 pm

I also have purchased the product in the past and can no longer find it.

sport

Post by sport » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:07 pm

They don't have it on Costco.com either although they have 5 other toothpaste products there.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:20 pm

Haven't seen that brand in a while, it was my favorite while it lasted!

Now using Colgate, also from Costco. It's not bad - not sweet and no weird after taste :wink:

sport

Post by sport » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:24 pm

My complaint about toothpaste at Costco is that every product they carry is a "whitening" toothpaste. I want one that is not whitening. My crowns are matched to the tooth color I already have.

hitchman

Post by hitchman » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:36 pm

This is, IMO, the one great downside to the warehouse clubs. Eventually you learn that the private label products are typically relabeled name brands, and the products will one day be replaced or disappear (your toothpaste example, or the Kirkland golf balls of 2017). Or, as has been mentioned in recent articles, Costco may decide they can make a private label product to replace the name brand. I can't find the article, but I seem to remember an article describing how Costco was not happy with the packaging for a particular brand of protein bars, so they simply developed their own Kirkland branded option and undercut the manufacturer. Toilet paper is an easy example. If you love Charmin, stock up while it's on sale, because the buyer may have just made a deal for several cargo ships worth of Quilted Northern. This is just the nature of their business model.

euroswiss

Post by euroswiss » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:02 am

hitchman wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:36 pm
This is, IMO, the one great downside to the warehouse clubs. Eventually you learn that the private label products are typically relabeled name brands, and the products will one day be replaced or disappear (your toothpaste example, or the Kirkland golf balls of 2017). Or, as has been mentioned in recent articles, Costco may decide they can make a private label product to replace the name brand. I can't find the article, but I seem to remember an article describing how Costco was not happy with the packaging for a particular brand of protein bars, so they simply developed their own Kirkland branded option and undercut the manufacturer. Toilet paper is an easy example. If you love Charmin, stock up while it's on sale, because the buyer may have just made a deal for several cargo ships worth of Quilted Northern. This is just the nature of their business model.
This is not unique or Costco. Other stores with private label products will add and drop them depending on whether they sell enough and are profitable or not. Happens at the regular grocery stores all the time too and it makes sense: why carry it if the sales are not there.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:05 am

Search for the exact ingredients and look for other clues on the label to see if you can find it under a different brand. Sometimes private-label goods are customized but sometimes they are standard production or only slightly modified.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:55 am

hitchman wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:36 pm
If you love Charmin, stock up while it's on sale, because the buyer may have just made a deal for several cargo ships worth of Quilted Northern.
Oh good, it's about time. Hate Charmin and we only buy quilted northern ultra plush :wink: .

Never even saw Kirkland brand toothpaste in 6+ years at our store. I buy sensodyne pro enamel, wife buys elsewhere as she only likes gel (Costco apparently only likes pastes).
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

fatcharlie

Post by fatcharlie » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:48 am

sport wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:24 pm
My complaint about toothpaste at Costco is that every product they carry is a "whitening" toothpaste. I want one that is not whitening. My crowns are matched to the tooth color I already have.
Do they even work? I've been using them for years, by default, and I don't notice that my teeth are particularly white.

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:54 am

Welcome to my world! Different brand same story. My favorite - Crest Citrus Splash, which has been discontinued :-( :oops:

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:10 pm

We stopped buying toothpaste at Costco when we (2 of us) figured out it expired before we could use it all.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:21 pm

sport wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:24 pm
Whitening toothpastes just remove surface stains. That should help keep your teeth and crowns matching unless the dentist matched the crowns to your teeth while they were severely stained.

Most dentists do advise against a toothpaste that is overly abrasive as it can wear enamel. You can google "Radioactive Dentin Abrasiveness Index of Toothpastes" for more info.

dual

Post by dual » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:24 pm

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:26 pm

nordsteve wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:10 pm
We stopped buying toothpaste at Costco when we (2 of us) figured out it expired before we could use it all.
LOL, does toothpaste ever really expire? I doubt it. About the only thing that could render is useless is if the tube is open and it dries out.

IMO that's probably just a "best by" date created to push more product than a measure of efficacy.

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:46 pm

It's the spoiled artificial sweetener in toothpaste that we don't like. If you don't mind/notice that taste, then no worries.

SeaToTheBay

Post by SeaToTheBay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:09 pm

dual wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:24 pm
Here is a 6 pack on Ebay for $300 :shock:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kirkland-Signa ... SwevdaJQQj
I have a few tubes sitting around since I switched to Sensodyne. I was just going to say, maybe I should put them on eBay!

emoore

Post by emoore » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:08 pm

SeaToTheBay wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:09 pm
dual wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:24 pm
Here is a 6 pack on Ebay for $300 :shock:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kirkland-Signa ... SwevdaJQQj
I have a few tubes sitting around since I switched to Sensodyne. I was just going to say, maybe I should put them on eBay!
They used to have a Kirkland brand of Sensodyne too that I liked using. Looks like that is discontinued also. That is the one thing I don't like about Costco, they discontinue items seemingly at a whim. I'm sure they have their reasons but there are no explanations to the customers. The item I miss most are the cleaning wipes. Kirkland brands are by the far the best I've ever used.

SeaToTheBay

Post by SeaToTheBay » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:42 pm

emoore wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:08 pm
They used to have a Kirkland brand of Sensodyne too that I liked using. Looks like that is discontinued also. That is the one thing I don't like about Costco, they discontinue items seemingly at a whim. I'm sure they have their reasons but there are no explanations to the customers. The item I miss most are the cleaning wipes. Kirkland brands are by the far the best I've ever used.
I hear you on that. I used to get so many items every time I went, that weren't available elsewhere (or are, but at a high price). Pork jerky, chicken burgers, black bean burgers, nuts, and lots of other things that have just vanished.

sport

Post by sport » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:41 pm

There is another side to the coin. Costco often discontinues items they carry. However, this allows them to introduce new items that would otherwise not be available. They recently discontinued another item I liked to buy there. It comes with the territory. I just buy it elsewhere as best I can.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:44 pm

I work for Costco and am just as annoyed at this. They discontinued my husband's favorite sweet & salty peanuts and the KS greek yogurt I really liked. :(

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:03 pm

I got a sample tube from the dentist of Crest 3D White Brilliance with 3X stain-fighting power.

I can confirm that it is the absolute best stainless steel cleaner for appliances that I have ever used.

How does the Kirkland brand work on stainless steel? Thanks!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.