Am I missing something?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Jermbo

Am I missing something?

Post by Jermbo » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:44 am

I just have to wonder why all these correction and bear market comments pop up as soon as we get volatility that is in all fairness normal? I keep wondering why it matters whether we will see things continue downward or upward?

To me, whether it goes up from here or down from here doesn't make any difference because I'm investing on a rise or fall at regular intervals regardless. Since I don't need the money for 20+ years it shouldn't matter what I do now as long as I keep contributing. I keep wondering if lots of worry happens due to the incorrect AA due to mistaken risk tolerance or some other reason I may not be aware of.

Anyway, I can't help but think that the answer to all of these is pretty much the same, "stay the course". Ignore the noise and continue with your plan to enjoy the reward at the end. Worrying about the ride along the way just keeps you second guessing everything.

mhc

Re: Am I missing something?

Post by mhc » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:10 am

Your understanding of "stay the course" is correct.

People are at different levels of agreement with that belief, so there are a variety of reactions. Also, people are at different stages of their lives, so a "corrrection" impacts people differently. Some people are worriers, and some aren't.

sycotik

Post by sycotik » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:27 pm

No, you are not missing anything. You are staying the course. I am doing the same. I am doing the same regardless of what the market is at. If it goes up, great, my past investments made a profit. If it is down, great, my next investment is on sale.

Some people like to make profits off of day to day transactions. And I hope the do. But that is not me. I am in for the long term. Set it and forget it. Once I reach close to retirement age, I may re-balance, but that is a few years away. So i just keep chugging on...Same boring investments, same boring time of the week.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:35 pm

Jermbo wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:44 am
I keep wondering if lots of worry happens due to the incorrect AA due to mistaken risk tolerance...
This is certainly a goodly part of it.

Everyone is brave until the bullets start flying.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:57 pm

Everyone has to figure out for themselves what is noise and what is noise.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.