What is your passive investment sources?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
s3nk1s

What is your passive investment sources?

Post by s3nk1s » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:58 am

I am young 23 guy, who wants to start investing small amounts. I have some money invested but I would like to get it to another level, what is your advice? I do not have a lot of investing knowledge so I am using p2p lending platforms as well invested some in Cryptocurrencies, but that's it. I would like to get passive income each month like 300-400 EUR in few years. I am from Lithuania, so EU based.
Last edited by s3nk1s on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rom1b

Re: What is your passive investment sources?

Post by Rom1b » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:43 am

s3nk1s wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:58 am
I am young 23 guy, who wants to start investing small amounts. I have some money invested but I would like to get it to another level, what is your advice? I do not have a lot of investing knowledge so I am using p2p lending platforms as well invested some in Cryptocurrencies, but that's it. I would like to get passive income each month like 300-400 EUR in few years.
Hi s3n and welcome,

Starting young is good. Cryptocurrencies are not so well seen here (get your shield out), because very risky and Jack Bogle clearly criticized them. I personally own a bit, but not much compared to all the rest. p2p is also seen as very risky (Banks dont lend money to these people for some reasons.. not always the best but you cant say banks know nothing about profitability).

Here is a lot of knowledge; I can recommend these 2 threads:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=88005

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7353

Or dr Bernstein's 'If you can' article:

https://www.etf.com/docs/IfYouCan.pdf

So be careful to not be too 'agressive'; and widely diversified Index funds or ETFs of Stocks / Bonds seem like a fair choice.
But still, good that you're interested and makes the first steps. As to passive income each month - I do not know too much about - a small business seems more the way to go, or a blog or book, or high dividend ETFs / stocks perhaps (get your shield out again)

Best,

harvestbook

Post by harvestbook » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:23 am

It's great to start out young, and you can "afford" to take some chances, but it's also good to have a solid foundation so the risky stuff doesn't ruin you. I'd suggest a boring old total stock index fund.
There aren't many true passive investments except being born rich. Most require either time, work, or risk of capital, and sometimes all three.
I'm not smart enough to know, and I can't afford to guess.

Agggm

Post by Agggm » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:00 am

s3nk1s wrote:
I am young 23 guy, who wants to start investing small amounts. I have some money invested but I would like to get it to another level, what is your advice? I do not have a lot of investing knowledge so I am using p2p lending platforms as well invested some in Cryptocurrencies, but that's it. I would like to get passive income each month like 300-400 EUR in few years.
Dump the cryptocurrencies.
Dump the p2p.
Buy broad market stock index funds.
Invest at least 20% of your income.
Concern yourself with funding your future liabilities.

ksualum

Post by ksualum » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:49 am

I would drop crypto like it's a hot potato.
I can't even start with what a bubble crypto is.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:33 pm

s3nk1s wrote:
I would like to get passive income each month like 300-400 EUR in few years.
Are you not USA-based? You might add your country name to the subject line for more focused answers.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:40 pm

s3nk1s

Post by s3nk1s » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:43 am

Dump the cryptocurrencies.
Dump the p2p.
Buy broad market stock index funds.
Invest at least 20% of your income.
Concern yourself with funding your future liabilities.
[/quote]

So I should start reading about stock index funds because I know zero about it. I will read the articles that everyone posted here! Thank you