TV assisted listening

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
leftcoaster

TV assisted listening

Post by leftcoaster » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:43 am

Is there a system that will enable one hard of hearing person to use headphones while the others use a sound bar at a normal volume?

TV is a somewhat recent Vizio set with their sound bar, which is connected to the optical port.

lthenderson

Re: TV assisted listening

Post by lthenderson » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:23 am

leftcoaster wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:43 am
Is there a system that will enable one hard of hearing person to use headphones while the others use a sound bar at a normal volume?

TV is a somewhat recent Vizio set with their sound bar, which is connected to the optical port.
Just went through this yesterday with my elderly grandparents. I bought them a bluetooth headphone set because their smart Samsung television came with bluetooth sound and had a feature so you could turn on the regular speakers and control them independently while the other one listened with the headphone set. Unfortunately, every time the blue tooth headphones were turned on, the television turns the regular speakers off by default which means that the other person had to go through about five menus to get to the option to turn it back on to control it independently. My grandparents are in their late 90's and that wasn't an option.

So I discovered that if I plugged the headphones directly into the audio port in back, then one could listen through the headphones and the other could still control the sound to the television independently without it defaulting to the off position. This means the headphones can't be wireless which is what they were shooting for.

I suspect plugging a bluetooth dongle into the audio port and having a blue tooth receiver next to the headphone listener would be a compromise so that it is only wired to a nearby table instead of clear around the living room wall with audio cables which I am going to install tomorrow.

leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:31 am

Ah, I have one of those dongles and headphones lying around. Will try it!

coop

Post by coop » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:05 pm

I had this exact problem. I wear hearing aids and our TV speakers on our 10 year old LG plasma are not the best.

I went to Best Buy and bought a set of wireless headphones. Sony Model MDR-RF985RK. Cost less than $100. Unboxed them, plugged in the base station to an electrical outliet, connected the base station to the TV with a simple, supplied plug. The headphones have an on/off switch and volume up/down control on on the headphones themselves.

It was that simple. It didn't require a degree in electrical engineering or the Geek Squad to install. No programming remotes or anything else.

So now my wife can set the TV volume to what is comfortable to her. I take out my hearing aids, put on the headphones, and set the volume to what is comfortable to me. I can wander throughout the house with the headphones on and still hear the audio. When I'm done, I turn off the headphones, return them to the base station, and put my hearing aids back in.

These headphones are over the ear, padded and very comfortable.

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:20 pm

coop wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:05 pm

I went to Best Buy and bought a set of wireless headphones. Sony Model MDR-RF985RK. Cost less than $100.
thank you for this info.

I went on Amazon and the site says there is now a newer model Sony Wireless RF Headphones (MDR-RF912RK), in case anyone else is interested. I didn't research the differences between old vs new. YMMV