Start job without quote signed?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Keepcalm

Start job without quote signed?

Post by Keepcalm » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:39 am

A quote was sent over to be signed and returned to me. They verbally accepted it over an email however I have not received it back signed yet.

Am I out of line if I do not start the job unless I receive the quote signed? Tentative start date is tomorrow and requires a commute.

Or do I just go and give then the benefit out the doubt they just haven’t had time to get it over signed just yet?

Pajamas

Re: Start job without quote signed?

Post by Pajamas » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:47 am

Can you just quit if they don't follow through on the agreement? Are you expecting an actual contract or just a salary agreement? Is there a probationary period?

Honestly, if you start and they try to do a switch-a-roo on what was agreed, better to find out that that's the way they operate right off the bat. Seems like an easy way to find out if there are minimal standards on treatment of employees.

Keepcalm

Post by Keepcalm » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:53 am

It’s self employment work I do on the side. Contractor work. It was a quote with price, dates and a breakdown of the work that will be performed.

Signed agreement I would call it. Which I thought protects me if I’m stiffed?

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:00 am

Keepcalm wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:53 am
It’s self employment work I do on the side. Contractor work. It was a quote with price, dates and a breakdown of the work that will be performed.

Signed agreement I would call it. Which I thought protects me if I’m stiffed?
Yes, you should have the signed contract in hand before starting the work in this situation. They should insist on it, too.

sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:04 am

Do you know if the secretary(s) were there yesterday? Is the boss on vacation? Did the mailman deliver the mail? etc...

There are a lot of other variables you don't know about. I would go to work and make decisions based on facts and try to not let your mind get distracted by what may go wrong based on a complete lack of information.

And, yes, when you go to work, before you actually start 'working,' you should sign a contract.