Attention Sqawk Box viewers

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
tennisplyr

Attention Sqawk Box viewers

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:31 am

I'm sure there are a number of intelligent BHs who are regular viewers of CNBCs Sqawk Box. What is it that appeals to you about the show? For me, the "this is up vs. last week", "this is down vs. year ago", "this is up vs. last month" gives me a headache. Why do you tune in?
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

azanon

Re: Attention Sqawk Box viewers

Post by azanon » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:34 am

For me, I just like the topic of finance and investing so much, that I'll listen to it on the basis of just enjoying the subject. I sometimes wonder though how much worse they're doing than us B&H'ers on a long-term performance basis.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:40 am

It is like driving by a car accident.

Sometimes you can't help but look.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:49 am

It's good background noise, interesting enough but not too interesting, if there is an important news event they'll chime in on it, they don't focus too much on political news and when they do their 'narrative' is more middle of the road and less inflammatory then other cable "news" channels.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:01 am

I find the hosts to be fairly entertaining. For something to watch with my morning coffee before work, it's perfect.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:10 am

As their name implies, they make lots of noise, or squawk to much for me. Gives me a headache watching it. Makes no sense to me as to my investments. Definitely a wall street type production to cause churn, or market manipulation.
This is my opinion, and the reasons I don't tune in.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:51 am

I just stared listening on Sirius radio on my drive time. It has mostly entertainment value and helps me understand the mindset of stock pickers. It can be a bit shrill at times, and that Cramer guy seems a bit nuts. I do try to understand some of the vernacular of the stock market but very glad I'm a long term index investor with just 3 basic mutual funds :happy
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:55 am

tennisplyr wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:31 am
I'm sure there are a number of intelligent BHs who are regular viewers of CNBCs Sqawk Box. What is it that appeals to you about the show? For me, the "this is up vs. last week", "this is down vs. year ago", "this is up vs. last month" gives me a headache. Why do you tune in?

I haven't watched it in years but I used to. My grandmother enjoyed watching C-span and I know people who enjoy watching the weather channel. I have friends who have cats who enjoy watching a channel with animal shows. Some kids enjoy cartoon channels. They are all just streams of entertainment and/or background sound and images focused on a particular topic. They occupy the mind.

sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:59 am

Bloomberg TV is much better.