How to approach previous company for a job you are interested in

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sksbog

How to approach previous company for a job you are interested in

Post by sksbog » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:01 pm

Hello Bogleheads;
I switched my job 7 months ago. Now realizing that the commute is taking a toll for the family. Especially wife. Also to that the new job is not as good as the recruiter/ hiring manager promised in the beginning.

I am still in contacts or in good terms with the senior managers from previous job.

My dilemma is how to approach them and still not look stupid for a job back in my previous company.

Advise appreciated.

Thanks

livesoft

Re: How to approach previous company for a job you are interested in

Post by livesoft » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:05 pm

My former employer often hired back people who had wandered off. I never heard anybody say re-hires looked stupid. So I would simply not worry about it. Indeed, just tell the truth when talking to your former colleagues. It really is that easy.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:11 pm

People get rehired all the time. I would just tell the truth. Long commutes are soul sucking, and the job wasn't exactly what was promised. You found out the hard way.

You might even get a raise out of it. But nobody will think you're stupid for wanting to come back.

BradJ

Post by BradJ » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:16 pm

Before you do anything, sit down and try to remember why you left the company in the first place. I left a company after 10 years of service for a role that was completely different than what I was doing (same industry though). The first year was tough, like most transitions, but every time I started to doubt my decision, I remembered why I left. If you think those reasons were trivial, or you can now overlook those "flaws", I say take your old boss to lunch and discuss your interest in coming back.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:26 pm

You wouldn't look stupid and it would be to their benefit to hire someone who won't take long to get up to speed. It's a different position, anyway. There is no reason not to consider a position at a former employer if you don't mind working there.

My last employer has recently called people who retired and asked them to return to work on very flexible and generous terms because they are so in need of experienced employees.

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:33 pm

If you left on good terms it is probably fine.

I had a good employee leave for a competitor for a substantial raise and wanted to work for smaller company. We offered her a raise but couldn’t match their offer. She took the offer and a few weeks later said she made a huge mistake. We took her back. Most of us were happy to do it because:

1. She was a good employee
2. Having somebody leave for greener grass and come back is a great example. It kind of puts a damper on the whiners of the group who always complain.

deikel

Post by deikel » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:48 pm

I have yet to see an example where 'going back' actually works out well....usually the same problems that made you walk out are still present (either with you or the company) and folks just move on again after they find the next cool thing.

Although not the same: statistics says that the majority of folks who take a counteroffer still leave the company within a year.

I would count you as being roughly in the same boat....I would rather look for a third job and give the (external?) recruiter an earful
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:57 pm

I worked for the same company three times in my career. Circumstances change, available jobs change.

euroswiss

Post by euroswiss » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:06 am

JBTX wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:33 pm
If you left on good terms it is probably fine.

I had a good employee leave for a competitor for a substantial raise and wanted to work for smaller company. We offered her a raise but couldn’t match their offer. She took the offer and a few weeks later said she made a huge mistake. We took her back. Most of us were happy to do it because:

1. She was a good employee
2. Having somebody leave for greener grass and come back is a great example. It kind of puts a damper on the whiners of the group who always complain.
#2 is a really great (and often overlooked) point!

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:26 am

My DW quit a company and came back twice. Once with a promotion and raise.