Trouble with Bank of America HSA Choice

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Post Reply
Mark2614
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:53 pm

Trouble with Bank of America HSA Choice

Post by Mark2614 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:22 am

I see two fund options I can choose:

iShares S&P 500 Index - WFSPX - ER 0.04%
iShares MSCI Total International Index - BDOKX - ER 0.14%

I'm trying to make this HSA part of my larger Vanguard 3-fund portfolio. I raelize the S&P 500 fund above is all large cap and isn't really "total stock market" so it doesn't align perfectly with my 3 fund portfolio. How about the INTL fund above? Is that one similar to a Total INTL Stock market fund?

Normally I pay 0.4% for domestic stock funds and around 0.11% for intl stock funds.

Suggestions?

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 4153
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm

Re: Trouble with Bank of America HSA Choice

Post by whodidntante » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:44 am

Mark2614 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:22 am
I see two fund options I can choose:

iShares S&P 500 Index - WFSPX - ER 0.04%
iShares MSCI Total International Index - BDOKX - ER 0.14%

I'm trying to make this HSA part of my larger Vanguard 3-fund portfolio. I raelize the S&P 500 fund above is all large cap and isn't really "total stock market" so it doesn't align perfectly with my 3 fund portfolio. How about the INTL fund above? Is that one similar to a Total INTL Stock market fund?

Normally I pay 0.4% for domestic stock funds and around 0.11% for intl stock funds.

Suggestions?
Better late than never, I guess.

The costs you mentioned are fine and competitive, cheap even. According to Morningstar the ER of BDOKX is 0.11% anyway. Neither of those funds include small caps. The international fund does include emerging markets. Presumably your HSA is a small percentage of your portfolio, so it would possible for you to "gap fill" by adding small cap or an extended market index elsewhere. VSS Vanguard FTSE All-Wld ex-US SmCp would be suitable for adding small back to a large cap total International fund, for example.

Mark2614
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:53 pm

Re: Trouble with Bank of America HSA Choice

Post by Mark2614 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:58 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:44 am
Mark2614 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:22 am
I see two fund options I can choose:

iShares S&P 500 Index - WFSPX - ER 0.04%
iShares MSCI Total International Index - BDOKX - ER 0.14%

I'm trying to make this HSA part of my larger Vanguard 3-fund portfolio. I raelize the S&P 500 fund above is all large cap and isn't really "total stock market" so it doesn't align perfectly with my 3 fund portfolio. How about the INTL fund above? Is that one similar to a Total INTL Stock market fund?

Normally I pay 0.4% for domestic stock funds and around 0.11% for intl stock funds.

Suggestions?
Better late than never, I guess.

The costs you mentioned are fine and competitive, cheap even. According to Morningstar the ER of BDOKX is 0.11% anyway. Neither of those funds include small caps. The international fund does include emerging markets. Presumably your HSA is a small percentage of your portfolio, so it would possible for you to "gap fill" by adding small cap or an extended market index elsewhere. VSS Vanguard FTSE All-Wld ex-US SmCp would be suitable for adding small back to a large cap total International fund, for example.
How much of "VSS Vanguard FTSE All-Wld ex-US SmCp" would you add to "iShares MSCI Total International Index - BDOKX". Would it need to be 50/50 ?
What about "iShares S&P 500 Index - WFSPX". What would you add to balance or "gap fill" that one out?

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 4153
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm

Re: Trouble with Bank of America HSA Choice

Post by whodidntante » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:35 pm

50/50 would overweight small caps. If you want float weighting, 80/20 would get you there.

Buy VXF to gap fill an s&p 500 fund.
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... irect=true

Mark2614
Posts: 179
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:53 pm

Re: Trouble with Bank of America HSA Choice

Post by Mark2614 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:25 am

whodidntante wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:35 pm
50/50 would overweight small caps. If you want float weighting, 80/20 would get you there.

Buy VXF to gap fill an s&p 500 fund.
https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/ ... irect=true
Is there a way to gap fill the S&P 500 index fund using one of the funds in the same HSA plan? Here are my options:
https://healthaccounts.bankofamerica.co ... nsumer.pdf

It's just easier to do it in the same account if possible.

ivk5
Posts: 457
Joined: Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:05 am

Re: Trouble with Bank of America HSA Choice

Post by ivk5 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:54 am

Mark2614 wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:25 am
Is there a way to gap fill the S&P 500 index fund using one of the funds in the same HSA plan? Here are my options:
https://healthaccounts.bankofamerica.co ... nsumer.pdf

It's just easier to do it in the same account if possible.
I don't follow why it's easier to do in the same account. But if that's what you want to do, I'd use Columbia Small Cap Index Fund (0.20).

ETA: see also the wiki pages, Approximating Total Stock Market and Extended Market Index Fund.

Post Reply