L.L. Bean, Citing Abuse, Tightens Its Generous Policy on Returns

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CardinalRule

L.L. Bean, Citing Abuse, Tightens Its Generous Policy on Returns

Post by CardinalRule » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:12 pm

This change won't impact how I view LL Bean (although I think that quality has slipped over time for some of the things I buy there), and there are no brick-and-mortar Bean stores where I live. But I have sometimes wondered about how often folks abuse generous return rights in general. Hopefully it's a relatively small number overall, but I have observed some really shaky transactions for obviously "old" stuff at Costco. And until it added time restrictions for electronics returns, I heard of folks basically renting big TVs for free under the old policies at Costco.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/09/busi ... olicy.html

happyisland

Re: L.L. Bean, Citing Abuse, Tightens Its Generous Policy on Returns

Post by happyisland » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:28 pm

I hate it when companies have insanely over-generous return policies like these. It basically seems to subsidize the grifters at the expense of those of us who wouldn't game the system (either because of laziness or some other personal choice).

grettman

Post by grettman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:40 pm

Now I have another reason not to spend money there (not like I a needed another reason).

srt7

Post by srt7 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:53 pm

Good. 30 days should be more than good enough for a "No Questions asked" type of return. Rest can be dealt with on a case by case basis.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:38 pm

Absolutely love LL Bean and think it's the right move.

The last time I was in there checking out, a lady was trying to exchange a piece of luggage that she had monogrammed and it looked like it was dragged down the interstate.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:47 pm

LL Bean is one of the few purveyors of decent clothes that come in tall sizes, so I've ordered from there a bit. Bauer is another, but the sleeves are always too long. Bean is best fit for me. I do not live anywhere near an LL Bean store. I've also got the Bean Visa for shipped free returns and have used it, sometimes past the 30 days.

I've never abused the policy, but I have used it. For example, I bought a very nice sweater on sale one year for special occasions and holidays. I am typically a bargain/Costco clothes shopper, so this was a pricier than usual item I budgeted for. After one season of light use and proper care the sweater was pilling and faded. Suitable for the donate bin. LL Bean received it and provided me a full, prompt refund. Come to find, the sweater was receiving poor reviews and eventually pulled from their catalogue. I feel less confident about purchasing in the future.

kjvm

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:22 pm

We buy maybe $200 worth of clothing from them over the course of a year, always online. I have never sent anything back. It helps that I don’t mind having a dozen identical polos from them that I rotate through. They fit well, last long, and I can still alternate colors .

One time I got a different shirt I didn’t really like, but the hassle of dealing with the return made me keep it (and I still wear it occasionally).

As I have been apparently subsidizing the select few who abused their return policy, I am glad they are taking measures to stop that. I think I have returned one item to Costco... the day after I bought it.

Smorgasbord

Post by Smorgasbord » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:28 pm

To be fair, L.L. Bean somewhat encouraged this practice by proudly displaying in their Maine store an old pair of boots that they had resoled a ridiculous number of times.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:50 pm

They are a business. They no doubt gained millions of dollars in sales and customer loyalty over the decades by sticking with this policy and making it part of their corporate culture and image. Now the math no longer works out for them. So be it.

I suspect going forward they will still honor lifetime warranty on products that truly fail through use and not abuse or age. Their new policy hints at that. It will just no longer be automatic with no questions asked.

As for Costco? I recently returned a battered 7-year old Kirkland Signature roll-aboard bag that had a blown out main zipper making it unusable. The cashier kind of raised her eyebrow and said "it looks like you got a full lifetime of use out of this bag." I pointed out that Kirkland Signature rollaboards that they had sitting on the floor had "10-Year warranty" displayed on the tag and that all I really wanted was to have the zipper fixed and would be happy with that result. "Oh, we don't do that" she told me. OK I said, "how do you honor the warranty?" She shrugged and said "we just give you a refund or store credit." OK then. And she did.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:05 pm

A warranty is a business move. The thought is that you'll sell more of the product with the warranty after the costs of the warranty than you will without it. I recently developed and sold a product with a 7 day full money back guarantee. Although the entire product could be used within 7 days, I only saw a 3% return rate. With this particular product I was able to see how much of the product the returner had used, and there were a few "abusers" who used almost all of the product before returning it. But I'm still convinced I came out ahead offering the warranty so will continue to do so. I suspect it is the same for other companies offering warranties.

If my return rate had been 30% and I saw that lots of people were taking advantage of me, I would have changed the warranty. Looks to me like that's what L.L. Bean is doing.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

jadd806

Post by jadd806 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:44 am

Smorgasbord wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:28 pm
To be fair, L.L. Bean somewhat encouraged this practice by proudly displaying in their Maine store an old pair of boots that they had resoled a ridiculous number of times.
No they didn't. Resoling is a service that they charge $40 for, not a part of their lifetime guarantee since soles are consumable. I imagine they were just showing how long the boot itself lasts if you take care of it.

The issue was people who either didn't want to pay for resoling every few years, or who destroyed the boots over a decade or more would abuse L.L. Bean's return policy by claiming they "weren't satisfied" to get a free product replacement.

The abusers viewed the policy as "buy once and get free product replacements for life" when that was never the original intent. Additionally, people would go to garage sales and buy Bean clothes for a few bucks, then bring them into the store for credit or a brand new replacement item in their size. Seeing how much you can abuse Bean's return policy had become somewhat of a sport up here and based on what I've heard and seen on social media it was definitely growing over the past few years.

mak1277

Post by mak1277 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:58 am

REI made a similar decision a few years ago. Hard to blame them.

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:58 am

happyisland wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:28 pm
I hate it when companies have insanely over-generous return policies like these. It basically seems to subsidize the grifters at the expense of those of us who wouldn't game the system (either because of laziness or some other personal choice).
I agree, and what's even worse is that these ridiculously generous policies are the eventual result of non-stop abuse of more sensible policies--at least so I've heard and it makes sense to me.

For example, a retail store I used to work at had a "senior citizen" discount for people 55 and older. I mentioned that 55 was hardly a senior citizen, and the response was that it used to be 65, but so many people lied about being 65 that it was just simpler to lower the age instead of confronting people about it.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:43 am

I hate it. I think companies are a lot of companies are engaging in brand self-destruction (for example, Hershey's bringing out a "Hershey"-branded candy bar with no chocolate in it).

At the moment, Lands' End's policy remains "Guaranteed. Period," while Eddie Bauer is still has an "unconditional lifetime guarantee." (However, one of the problems with "voting with your dollars" is a tendency for companies to change policies in near-lockstep once a pioneer has provided they can get away with something).

Bean surely has the ID and records of customers who have returned things, what they returned, and why they said they returned it. Given that, there are all sorts of ways they could have curbed the actual abuse, short of cutting the guarantee to one year.

My perception of L. L. Bean has been "quality merchandise, but seemingly overpriced, but it's justified because the price includes excellent customer service, easy returns, and an impeccable guarantee."

Of course I will still buy things from L. L. Bean, but they have moved the needle on my perception of the value of the Bean brand.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Yiewsley

Post by Yiewsley » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:49 am

I used to live in the town next to Freeport, where the flagship store is, and I know many people who work there. People definitely abused the system. A year is plenty of time and if there is a genuine manufacturing issue I assume they will take that on a case by case basis.

My husband worked at Bean's for a short time several years ago. He could go to the employee store, where they sell the returns for crazy low prices. It was really kind of unbelievable what people got away with.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:05 pm

ddurrett896 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:38 pm
Absolutely love LL Bean and think it's the right move.

The last time I was in there checking out, a lady was trying to exchange a piece of luggage that she had monogrammed and it looked like it was dragged down the interstate.
Depending on the circumstance, I would exchange it too. LL Bean suitcases are kind of expensive for one piece. If it looked like it was dragged down the interstate on the first trip or second trip, it is going back to the store even if I had it a long time. I wouldn't try to return it after several trips, though. But I am familiar with their bags and know that their construction should hold up.

I really worry about stores changing their return policies because of abuse. I used to think it was funny to stand by the return counter at Costco while my husband was checking out and see who had the most outrageous return. Now I just want to punch people.

hlfo718

Post by hlfo718 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:19 pm

I purchased LL Bean jackets because of the generous policy. I have a jacket that is over 15 years old that is still in really good condition but we had issues with their more recent winter jackets. My spouse's jacket was bleeding the down fills so we returned and the 2nd one was the same but 3rd time was the charm.

One of my jacket turned from grey to orange on the shoulder area for no apparent reason. Had to get another one but they were outside the 1 year purchase date. I would have been really upset if I was stuck with a discolored jacket or where the fillings were coming out.

wilked

Post by wilked » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:29 pm

People are missing the boat here on the replies.

It's not like after 1 year you have no recompense

"After one year, we will work with our customers to reach a fair solution if a product is defective in any way"

REI is the same. Basically, if you approach them with a reasonable issue they will work with you. It might not mean 100% compensation, but I expect it to be reasonable.

An example: I buy top of the line Gore Tex hiking boots from LL Bean. 18 months later, after using them maybe a dozen times, the stitching is fraying and my socks now get wet. I will take them to LL Bean, explain that with the usage and timeline I think it's unreasonable, and I would expect to exchange for a new pair. They verify in the system I bought them 18 months ago, usage pattern on the boots agrees with what I describe, and they agree.

Alternatively, I have an LL Bean Backpack that I got in high school. I am 45 now. I bring it in, show how the zipper is now stuck, and ask for a refund. They argue that 25 years of use has finally taken its toll, but as a gesture of goodwill will offer 20% off any backpack in store.

This is the REI model, and I don't expect it to be much different

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:41 pm

I think their products are of high quality, prices are not necessarily outrageous as compared to other "outdoors" purveyors, excellent customer service.
It's outrageous that a select few like to abuse a generous policy where they actually consume the product and then have the gall to return it saying they were "not satisfied" demanding either a refund or a completely new replacement item so they could rinse and repeat. I think LL Bean made a great business move here, otherwise those leeches could have financially sunk the company.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:20 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:43 am

Bean surely has the ID and records of customers who have returned things, what they returned, and why they said they returned it. Given that, there are all sorts of ways they could have curbed the actual abuse, short of cutting the guarantee to one year.
But those records are limited, and they never required any proof that you where the original purchaser. I also live in New England and Ive seen the same things Jadd806 reported above. You can walk right into a Bean retail store and hand the service desk any Bean branded product with *zero* documentation and exchange it. I remember as a kid in the boy scouts parents where actively encouraged to buy their kids hiking boots from bean because you could just exchange them every couple years fora new pair as they wore out. And the stories of people buying stuff at thrifts to return it for cash are for real.

I am actually amazed the policy lasted this long.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:27 pm

goodlifer wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:05 pm
Depending on the circumstance, I would exchange it too.
This bag looked like something from the 80's. Plus, the customer had it personalized with their initials. Sorry - I'm a stickler for getting my money worth but I was mind blown this lady had the audacity to try to return.

The equivalent would be like buying an outfit, painting your house and exchange because they are covered in paint. Unbelievable!

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:40 pm

nisiprius wrote:
I hate it. I think companies are a lot of companies are engaging in brand self-destruction (for example, Hershey's bringing out a "Hershey"-branded candy bar with no chocolate in it).
Maybe it’s because I never lived near a Bean store (visited the flagship store briefly once on a trip to Maine) and thus have exclusively shopped via catalog (purchase do online, but generally “inspired” by catalog). Or maybe I have lived under a rock. But I will admit that I personally never associated LL Bean with “unlimited forever returns” warranties. I didn’t know they had that policy until they changed it. So they really haven’t destroyed their brand with me. I was basically expecting a reasonable return policy. If it doesn’t fit, they take it back. If I don’t like how it feels, they take it back. Not 20 years later, when it no longer fits ;)

I just looked through the latest catalog that came last week; I don’t see any mention of warranty or return policy. Don’t recall if previous catalogs used the return policy/warranty as a prominent branding thing.

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:49 pm

I wonder if they would try to replace the worn out shock cord in the poles of my Bean Pack Tent.
This issue reminds me of people who buy up old rusty or broken tools and then try to exchange them for brand new ones :annoyed at Sears/Craftsman or even at Snap On.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:29 pm

jharkin wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:20 pm
nisiprius wrote:

But those records are limited, and they never required any proof that you where the original purchaser. I also live in New England and Ive seen the same things Jadd806 reported above. You can walk right into a Bean retail store and hand the service desk any Bean branded product with *zero* documentation and exchange it. I remember as a kid in the boy scouts parents where actively encouraged to buy their kids hiking boots from bean because you could just exchange them every couple years fora new pair as they wore out. And the stories of people buying stuff at thrifts to return it for cash are for real.

I am actually amazed the policy lasted this long.
LL Bean has stated they keep records of purchases made for exactly 5 years. This record keeping was in existence before they modified the existing guarantee policy. I think they are being quite generous with the new policy as well.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:36 pm

Halicar wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:58 am
For example, a retail store I used to work at had a "senior citizen" discount for people 55 and older. I mentioned that 55 was hardly a senior citizen, and the response was that it used to be 65, but so many people lied about being 65 that it was just simpler to lower the age instead of confronting people about it.
What if someone who is 45 claims to be 55?

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:50 pm

Seems like these companies would be better off having an Asterisk explaining that they can refuse refunds or exchanges for cases of return policy abuse. I purchased some waders from LL Bean specifically for the return policy in case I needed it. I won't purchase any "store brand" clothing or gear without the company backing it with a very strong warranty.

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:59 pm

mptfan wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:36 pm
Halicar wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:58 am
What if someone who is 45 claims to be 55?
Fine with me. We got paid $5/hr to deal with petty scam artists every day. The only way to survive that kind of job is to not care too much about things like that.

TheAccountant

Post by TheAccountant » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:01 pm

I've always wondered how they made money with that kind of warranty.

People would abuse it for sure. It wasn't uncommon for people to buy LL Bean gear at garage sales and then go to the store and exchange the goods for new ones. Glad to see they are making the switch.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:02 pm

My parental family and now my generational family (or however I should say it) has been purchasing LLBean products since the early war years (WWII) when I was in elementary school. I have never had to return any LLBean product for quality reasons. I have returned for sizing issues and had one footwear product that I really never liked and very seldom wore. But that was my choice not to return it for dissatisfaction reasons.

I applaud LLBean for taking what I consider to be a fair position in their new return policy (and adjust) policy.
Tom D.

davidkw

Post by davidkw » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:06 pm

LLBean has been great! I have only returned one item for a defect. I purchased a black duffel bag for lacrosse reffing. Six years later, the main zipper broke. LLBean replaced it.

The also changed their free shipping policy. Now it is only free shipping if you spend $50.
David | | From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:17 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:47 pm
LL Bean is one of the few purveyors of decent clothes that come in tall sizes, so I've ordered from there a bit.
I agree. LL Bean's Tall Med or Tall Large sizes often fit me better than their own or other store's regular Large or Extra Large shirts and coats.

We vacation in Bar Harbor every summer and we always stay one nite in a motel near LL Bean on the way up. We now know the motel owners and as a result we get a lot of the local gossip. We have been told many people routinely buy children's clothing from LL Bean, use it until their children outgrow the clothing, and then return it for a refund. The problem got much worse when LL Bean opened a dedicated children's clothing store on their property. Finally they had to close the children's store, in part because it was being mis-used.

We have also been told LL Bean has a tremendous shoplifting problem. As a result, we are told, when you shop at LL Bean a good number of the other "shoppers" are really plain clothes shoplifting monitors.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:03 pm

Just called LLBean Customer Service regarding shipping charges. For orders valued under $50 there is a flat charge of $6.00. $50 or over no shipping charges. For customers like me holding a LLBean VISA card there are no shipping or return charges.
Tom D.

Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:47 pm

Read an article where people were buying tattered old LL Bean things from thift stores for less than $1.00 just so they could return for something new. I'm glad LL Bean is putting an end to that nonsense.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:56 pm

Good for them. I've thrown out lots of worn out llbean clothes - when someone once told me I could turn them in for new clothes I told them that was ridiculous as I felt I got my money's worth out of them.
Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:48 pm

Based on some of the returns reported here, I can see why they had to change their policy.

AllieTB1323

Post by AllieTB1323 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:21 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:56 pm
Good for them. I've thrown out lots of worn out llbean clothes - when someone once told me I could turn them in for new clothes I told them that was ridiculous as I felt I got my money's worth out of them.

Ditto and it helps me sleep well at night.

CFM300

Post by CFM300 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:45 pm

I always thought Patagonia's guarantee was perfectly reasonable and well worded:

We guarantee everything we make. If you are not satisfied with one of our products at the time you receive it, or if one of our products does not perform to your satisfaction, return it to the store you bought it from or to Patagonia for a repair, replacement or refund. Damage due to wear and tear will be repaired at a reasonable charge. (emphasis added)

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Just caught the news: LL Bean sued for giving up this policy.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/14/l-l-bean- ... rn-policy/

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:17 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:56 pm
+1
I agree
srt7 wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:53 pm
Good. 30 days should be more than good enough for a "No Questions asked" type of return. Rest can be dealt with on a case by case basis.
I bought a pair of Keen hiking sandals at REI before a trip. They didn't have the color i wanted in my size but I bought what they had. When I got home I checked online and they had my preferred color so I ordered it. I took the second pair on my trip. I intended to return the original pair after I got home, but then couldn't lay my hands on the receipt. :( So I was prepared to keep both pairs - even though they had turned out not to be as comfortable as I had hoped.

Several months later I opened a shoe box thinking it was an empty box (for the pair I had worn) but discovered that I had outsmarted myself and put the store receipt in the box with pair I intended to return! :oops:. So the next time I was out near REI I made the return. I did get a raised eyebrow about returning sandals in the late fall, but I flipped the sandal over to the sole and it was obvious that they had not been worn out of doors. I kept the other pair that I had taken on my trip. I thought that was perfectly fair.

LawyersGunsAndMoney

Post by LawyersGunsAndMoney » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:05 pm

Overall not a great look for LL Bean. Political kerfuffle earlier in the year plus changing the return policy (which was a giant open loophole for decades) at a time when many other companies are going in the opposite direction to provide more generous customer service policies isn't good for the brand long-term, though it may make near-term sense to the bean counters (pun intended).

Also not great that some of the articles have noted that LL Bean lost $250 million last year in "destroy quality" items that were returned and immediately sent to a land fill. Perhaps a company that purports to cater to outdoors types should consider investing in the ability to recycle old or returned items rather than ship them to a landfill.

mako171

Post by mako171 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:18 pm

Love the screen name...sounds exactly like what Bean will need to get out of this...

This American Life did a segment on this policy in 2016 that I recall as pretty good.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/591/ge ... neys-worth

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:19 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:23 pm
Just caught the news: LL Bean sued for giving up this policy.

https://nypost.com/2018/02/14/l-l-bean- ... rn-policy/
Interesting, this is the first time I have seen anything from LL Bean stating that the change in policy only applies to products purchased on after 02/09/18.

“The recently filed lawsuit misrepresents the terms of our new returns policy. L.L.Bean products bought prior to Feb. 9, 2018 will not be subject to the new one-year restriction,” spokeswoman Carolyn Beem told the Bangor Daily News. “Proof of purchase will continue to be required. That is what we have consistently told customers since the new policy was announced last Friday.”

The "letter from LL Bean posted on its Facebook is undated and contains no effective date. Their return policy online makes no mention of this "effective date". I don't think anyone was under the impression that this was what the policy change meant prior to this statement from LL Bean.

Anybody else have the same reaction.