Network for Good

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
czeckers

Network for Good

Post by czeckers » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:11 am

Does anyone have experience donating to a charity through the Network for Good donor management service? I'm looking to set up a recurring donation to a charity that uses them. My big question is how they handle receipts and whether they'll send out a year-end statement for tax reporting purposes.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
The Espresso portfolio: | | 16% LCV, 16% SCV, 16% EM, 8% Int'l Value, 8% Int'l Sm, 8% US REIT, 8% Int'l REIT, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

margered

Re: Network for Good

Post by margered » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:13 am

If you donate directly to the charity, Network for Good will not take its commission and more money will go directly to the charity.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:15 am

I have used it several times for two local charities at the charity's request. For charities without a staff of any size, N for G helps keep their costs down as I understand it. I have not set up an automatic recurring donation though.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

czeckers

Post by czeckers » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:53 am

margered wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:13 am
If you donate directly to the charity, Network for Good will not take its commission and more money will go directly to the charity.
I agree with you. Unfortunately, this is a small charity that doesn't have the staff to handle direct donations. As far as I can tell, they charge a flat 3% transaction fee. However, I can pay by credit card so I can at least increase my donation by the amount of cash back bonus, effectively reducing the commission to 1.5%.

However, being able to get receipts for tax reporting purposes is very important to me and I'm more than willing to go through an intermediary if that makes getting a receipt possible.
The Espresso portfolio: | | 16% LCV, 16% SCV, 16% EM, 8% Int'l Value, 8% Int'l Sm, 8% US REIT, 8% Int'l REIT, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:07 pm

A charity I donate to uses an intermediary business. The intermediary sends me detailed email receipts.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:21 pm

czeckers wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:53 am
I agree with you. Unfortunately, this is a small charity that doesn't have the staff to handle direct donations. As far as I can tell, they charge a flat 3% transaction fee. However, I can pay by credit card so I can at least increase my donation by the amount of cash back bonus, effectively reducing the commission to 1.5%.
So much for "Network for Good". More like "Network for Collecting Hidden Fees"?

I have given through them when Google offers matching funds for Hurricane relief. I can't find any receipt but it's possible that is because I went through Google and did not create a NFG account.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:06 pm

I've received an email for each time I have donated. I also can login to the site and print:
"Donations listed below summarize charitable contributions processed by Network for Good, a nonprofit, tax-exempt organization. The donor has not received any goods or services in return from Network for Good. Click on a column header to sort by that column and choose landscape if you choose to print this page"

It is a convenient way to keep all donations in one receipt/organization. I also like that they give me an option to donate anonymously. I hate donating to an organization that then fills my mail box with stuff, or sells my info.

And NF understands the rule that a transaction that begins on the last day of the year, counts as a contribution for that year.

I did encounter an organization that I gave to last year thru NFG, that I couldn't do the same this year. NFG said that the charity had asked not to receive contributions from NFG. Fine, but since they're one of the mega-spamming organizations, they didn't get anything from me in 2017.