Can I afford to move to a lower paying career?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
GmanJeff

Re: Can I afford to move to a lower paying career?

Post by GmanJeff » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:19 am

My suggestion would be to retire now but not relocate. The cost of living in MN is much higher than where you are, and the weather is brutal for much of the year. It might be worth it if you're likely to see family very frequently, but if they have their own lives and schedules and you're realistically not going to spend all that much time with them on a day to day basis, you might regret being in such a frankly unpleasant climate environment for much of the year (the nice mid-Westerners there notwithstanding). The money you save by remaining in TN could pay for several trips up there annually and you can actually do things outdoors the rest of the year besides ice fishing and cross-country skiing.

doon

Post by doon » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:28 am

I vote Option # 2.

- Full time tenure track position.
- Will solve health insurance issue for few years.
- Add some roth and get some 401k match
- Closer to family.
- May be its just me but I would be more comfortable with delaying full 3% draw down from the $3.5 Mill.
- Teaching can be a ramp down before you completely retire.

Good Luck!
"Goal - Win the game before the need to retire"

Rowan Oak

Post by Rowan Oak » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:25 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:15 pm
These threads are one reason why people make fun of this forum.

How out of touch do you have to be to wonder if you can move to a lower paying career when you're already financially independent? By my calculations, you could take a career where you had to pay money to do it.

And then there are people saying, "No, you don't have enough. Don't do it."

THE OP HAS $3.5M AND SPENDS LESS THAN $100K A YEAR. That's FI by any reasonable measurement.

Take option 1, option 2, or some other option that involves not earning anything and you'll be fine. Do what you want. You already won the game.

Try this approach:

# 1 Define Enough
# 2 Compare what you have to enough

If you have more than enough, do what you want. If you don't but hate your job, switch jobs.
+1
“If you can get good at destroying your own wrong ideas, that is a great gift.” – Charlie Munger

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:06 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (career guidance).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.