HSA Recommendations

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
UncleVinnie

HSA Recommendations

Post by UncleVinnie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:19 pm

Good evening all, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I currently have two HSA accounts (Optum and TDBank), each from different employers- one old, and one current. I'm looking to invest part of the funds in low-cost mutual funds, ideally a low-cost Vanguard S&p index mutual fund. Both Optum and TDBank will not allow me to do this with the existing capital. Anyone have any suggestions on HSAs that allow such investing?

willthrill81

Re: HSA Recommendations

Post by willthrill81 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:23 pm

There are threads on that topic. Here's one. viewtopic.php?t=207051
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings

FrankLUSMC

Post by FrankLUSMC » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:27 pm

UncleVinnie wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:19 pm
Good evening all, I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I currently have two HSA accounts (Optum and TDBank), each from different employers- one old, and one current. I'm looking to invest part of the funds in low-cost mutual funds, ideally a low-cost Vanguard S&p index mutual fund. Both Optum and TDBank will not allow me to do this with the existing capital. Anyone have any suggestions on HSAs that allow such investing?
I have Optum HSA and use Vanguard funds that are available. Why can't you use Vanguard funds? I suspect you have low balances? I know Optum requires a minimum of $3K in cash before you can go to the brokerage side for mutual funds.

UncleVinnie

Post by UncleVinnie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:27 pm

willthrill81 wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:23 pm
There are threads on that topic. Here's one. viewtopic.php?t=207051
Thank you

UncleVinnie

Post by UncleVinnie » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:30 pm

FrankLUSMC wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:27 pm
I have Optum HSA and use Vanguard funds that are available. Why can't you use Vanguard funds? I suspect you have low balances? I know Optum requires a minimum of $3K in cash before you can go to the brokerage side for mutual funds.
Thank you, I was not aware Optum would allow me to do this and will look into it. The Optum account is the lesser of the two and has $7600 that's
sitting there doing nothing; myself and the family are healthy and relatively young.

pasadena

Post by pasadena » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:39 pm

UncleVinnie wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:30 pm
FrankLUSMC wrote:
Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:27 pm
Thank you, I was not aware Optum would allow me to do this and will look into it. The Optum account is the lesser of the two and has $7600 that's
sitting there doing nothing; myself and the family are healthy and relatively young.
I have a HSA at Optum (through employer) and I can invest anything above $2,000. It also allows for automatic investing if you're still contributing to it. It has a number of Vanguard funds, some being the Institutional variant.

If you're paying fees, you can probably consolidate your two accounts into one, I think.