To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Locked
User avatar
Leif
Posts: 2499
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:15 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by Leif » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:58 am

BrandonBogle wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:52 pm
Woot woot! I got my invite to configure with an estimated delivery of February if I got the long range, though I'm holding out for the standard range.
So do you hold your place in line if you wait? Presumably there are others in line in front of you waiting on standard range or all wheel drive. I don't have a reservation, but I would be concerned about a reduced or finished tax credit.

NewtoBogle
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by NewtoBogle » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:43 am

Leif wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:58 am
So do you hold your place in line if you wait? Presumably there are others in line in front of you waiting on standard range or all wheel drive. I don't have a reservation, but I would be concerned about a reduced or finished tax credit.
As long as Tesla actually makes standard range cars around their estimate in early 2018 (I'm hopeful for June personally), then the tax credit should be fine. Someone posted on reddit recently that he has a source saying they've pushed back standard range until September, but Tesla's online delivery estimator hasn't changed (yet). I hope we'll get more answers on the late February investors call.

See this explanation here for a best guess at tax credit timing
https://www.teslamodel3fan.com/incentives/

User avatar
DanMahowny
Posts: 533
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by DanMahowny » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:43 am

weltschmerz wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:54 pm
Wow these new "features" seem half-baked. I am a huge fan of tech (I have a VW e-Golf that I love), but the self-driving stuff.....it ain't ready yet.
Yet, many smart people are paying for features that DON'T EXIST. Musk seems to be the only person that can charge people money for his dreams, and get away with it. I'm jealous, indeed.

I guess it's the whole "environmental angle". I often see people make irrational decisions due to the "environment". My neighbor spent $63,000 for a solar system to avoid paying a $115 monthly electric bill. NUTS! I'm not jealous of him.
Funding secured

User avatar
BrandonBogle
Posts: 2109
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by BrandonBogle » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:44 am

Leif wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:58 am
BrandonBogle wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:52 pm
Woot woot! I got my invite to configure with an estimated delivery of February if I got the long range, though I'm holding out for the standard range.
So do you hold your place in line if you wait? Presumably there are others in line in front of you waiting on standard range or all wheel drive. I don't have a reservation, but I would be concerned about a reduced or finished tax credit.
The button if you don't want "First Production" literally says "Hold My Place In Line", so I'm going with yes. :)

wrongfunds
Posts: 1908
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:31 am

BrandonBogle wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:52 pm
Woot woot! I got my invite to configure with an estimated delivery of February if I got the long range, though I'm holding out for the standard range.
Am I correct it assuming that you are current Tesla owner and you are on the west coast? I think for me being not a Tesla owner and on the other coast, it will be few more months before the invite.

NewtoBogle
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by NewtoBogle » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:45 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:31 am
BrandonBogle wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:52 pm
Woot woot! I got my invite to configure with an estimated delivery of February if I got the long range, though I'm holding out for the standard range.
Am I correct it assuming that you are current Tesla owner and you are on the west coast? I think for me being not a Tesla owner and on the other coast, it will be few more months before the invite.
A bunch of owners on the east coast got invites last night (PA for sure), and I also saw reports of owners in mid west. It seems like they are well on their way of working through the owners who reserved on 3/31 or 4/1. This thread (https://www.reddit.com/r/teslamotors/co ... e_if_your/ has some users checking in getting invites, more in FB groups too)

I did see a owner in Ohio who waited first in line overnight who is still waiting for his, though.

There are some non owners with delivery of first run estimate windows ending in January/February. It will be interesting to see when they get theirs.

User avatar
BrandonBogle
Posts: 2109
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by BrandonBogle » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:53 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:31 am
BrandonBogle wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:52 pm
Woot woot! I got my invite to configure with an estimated delivery of February if I got the long range, though I'm holding out for the standard range.
Am I correct it assuming that you are current Tesla owner and you are on the west coast? I think for me being not a Tesla owner and on the other coast, it will be few more months before the invite.
Current owner, day 1 reservation (online - NOT in store), living in North Carolina.

Meanwhile one of my friends in Atlanta, who also had a Day 1 reservation holder and is a current owner, got his config invite last week and is picking up his Model ≡ on Monday.

wrongfunds
Posts: 1908
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:22 am

I am curious as to the color/wheel/extra options you are planning on buying. Also I would like to know how your friend configured his 3. I suspect, I will have to let my family duke it out for the final configuration when I get the invite. Mine was reserved online on March 31, 2016

User avatar
BrandonBogle
Posts: 2109
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by BrandonBogle » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:59 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:22 am
I am curious as to the color/wheel/extra options you are planning on buying. Also I would like to know how your friend configured his 3. I suspect, I will have to let my family duke it out for the final configuration when I get the invite. Mine was reserved online on March 31, 2016
For this reservation - Model ≡ ($35k), Premium upgrade ($5k), Pearl White ($1k), standard wheels ($0), Gray wheel caps ($20 - for when I remove the aero covers), all weather floor mats (unknown price).

I’ll post when I see my friend’s next week. I’m staying at his house before flying out of Atlanta, so I should have some quality time with it.

wrongfunds
Posts: 1908
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:09 pm

what, no auto pilot aka very expensive "follow the car in front of me so that I can be texting on my phone" option??

You forgot the long range $9K. You don't get your car without it.

I love that white pearl paint. How do you order the center caps? Are they listed somewhere?

Strummer
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:15 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by Strummer » Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:40 pm

NewtoBogle wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:45 am
There are some non owners with delivery of first run estimate windows ending in January/February. It will be interesting to see when they get theirs.
I'm in this pool — a non-owner in California who made a reservation at 10:30 a.m. on 3/31/16. My delivery estimate for the early production cars (long range plus premium upgrades) is December '17 – February '18, but I haven't received a configuration e-mail yet. My gut feeling is that I'll be able to configure in that window, but I'm only basing that on data assembled non-scientifically from a variety of sources (reports of increasing production speed, posts that indicate almost all the current owners in the US have configured, etc.).

I'll try to remember to post here once I get the configuration e-mail from Tesla.

User avatar
BrandonBogle
Posts: 2109
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by BrandonBogle » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:48 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:09 pm
what, no auto pilot aka very expensive "follow the car in front of me so that I can be texting on my phone" option??

You forgot the long range $9K. You don't get your car without it.

I love that white pearl paint. How do you order the center caps? Are they listed somewhere?
I don’t have AutoPilot on my S and don’t plan on getting it for the 3. I am getting the standard range vehicle, not long range.

Center caps can be purchased from a service center’s parts department for $5 per cap. You can get silver or gray.

wrongfunds
Posts: 1908
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:49 pm

If you want standard range, you get back in the queue. "No M3 for you :-)" (anytime soon!)

Cramerica
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:30 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by Cramerica » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:51 pm

Is anyone wondering if they should get a new model S instead of a fully loaded model 3 (LR, autopilot, PUP, paint,etc.)?

How are you deciding one way or the other? I change my mind everyday.

TravelGeek
Posts: 2451
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:03 pm

NewtoBogle wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:43 am
Someone posted on reddit recently that he has a source saying they've pushed back standard range until September
Wouldn't it depend on how much demand they see for the more expensive models? If everyone in the line were to push the "Hold my place, I want the cheap car" button, they would presumably quickly start making those. And on the flip side, are they actually going to make cheap ones while they still have buyers in line willing to pay more, even if they signed up later?

User avatar
Leif
Posts: 2499
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:15 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by Leif » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:17 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:03 pm
NewtoBogle wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:43 am
Someone posted on reddit recently that he has a source saying they've pushed back standard range until September
Wouldn't it depend on how much demand they see for the more expensive models? If everyone in the line were to push the "Hold my place, I want the cheap car" button, they would presumably quickly start making those. And on the flip side, are they actually going to make cheap ones while they still have buyers in line willing to pay more, even if they signed up later?
I guess the long range battery is more profitable. If the tax credit starts its disappearing act more might just spring for the bigger battery to not lose the tax credit. The long range battery is $9,000. The full tax credit is $7,500. But if they cannot afford it they just may cancel. Something Tesla also needs to consider. But right now they seem to have plenty of demand. And they are just starting to put the car out in showrooms. I expect the tax credit will be a huge demand lever for Tesla. No reason for them to hurry on the standard battery. Production timeline shows standard battery to start in sometime in 2018. I'm guessing late 2018 at best.

travellight
Posts: 2781
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:52 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by travellight » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:25 am

I decided to "hold my place" at this time rather than configure... I deferred to 9/2018 hoping I can still get the tax deduction then. I actually want the 310 mile battery but not necessarily all the upgrades.

User avatar
TimeRunner
Posts: 1428
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by TimeRunner » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:35 am

Maybe you need to order the Tesla Utility Trailer with integrated extended-range battery and optional harness? :wink:

(Seriously, I am hoping for major enviro-friendly battery breakthroughs that can quickly move us out of the fossil fuels age. I appreciate all Tesla customers helping to move us forward.)
“Some depart to remain.”

Cramerica
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:30 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by Cramerica » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:20 pm

travellight wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:25 am
I decided to "hold my place" at this time rather than configure... I deferred to 9/2018 hoping I can still get the tax deduction then. I actually want the 310 mile battery but not necessarily all the upgrades.
Did they tell you it would be 9/2018 when you clicked hold my place? How would they know that without you giving your specific config?

wrongfunds
Posts: 1908
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by wrongfunds » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:20 pm

OP here

After watching quite a few Model 3 owners posting their youtube reviews, I am now strongly inclined to take the delivery when the invitation arrives. I expect it to arrive pretty soon.

I suspect Elon's team hunt for any bad Model 3 review and immediately shut it down. I mean, how else is it possible that all the reviews of the Model 3 are positive? It is conspiracy, I tell you :-)

Cramerica
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:30 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by Cramerica » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:39 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:20 pm
OP here

After watching quite a few Model 3 owners posting their youtube reviews, I am now strongly inclined to take the delivery when the invitation arrives. I expect it to arrive pretty soon.

I suspect Elon's team hunt for any bad Model 3 review and immediately shut it down. I mean, how else is it possible that all the reviews of the Model 3 are positive? It is conspiracy, I tell you :-)
I have watched a lot too, but have encountered negative stuff, like too “hard” of a ride, some dysfunctional features, annoyance of not having separate controls, etc

240U
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:54 pm
Location: Silicon Valley

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by 240U » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:49 pm

I agree. There have been many complaints about ease of use through the display. in particular the cruise control and autopilot has user control issues.
As for the harsh ride, I have seen pros and cons of the ride. I have come to the conclusion that it depends on the view of the tester. Those that want a soft Chevy ride feel its too harsh. Those that want a BMW ride thinks it is great. I think that these kinds of concerns are user specific and in general I note but ignore them

wrongfunds
Posts: 1908
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by wrongfunds » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:46 pm

Finally came across a bad review; Brand spanking new M3 dies on the road immediately after taking the delivery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vtp1PH6Pjak

240U
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:54 pm
Location: Silicon Valley

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by 240U » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:58 pm

I just took an extended sit in a model three at the Santana Row Tesla store.

Had a very basic walk through of the display, adjusted mirrors and steering wheel. Adjusted the seat and was not surprised by any of it.

Sat in the back seat. Very nice. 3" or more of head room. 6" or more between my knees and the passenger seat. Just fine. I think my wife and her family could sit there with room to spare.

I really like the upholstery material. For me they had just the right amount of friction. Not too smooth nor too course. The padding felt firm but still formed to your body parts. I suspect they will be comfortable. I signed up for a test drive, when they become available. No time frame on that though.

The estimate for AWD was October. He qualified that with no one knows at this time.

travellight
Posts: 2781
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:52 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by travellight » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:31 pm

Cramerica wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:20 pm
travellight wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:25 am
I decided to "hold my place" at this time rather than configure... I deferred to 9/2018 hoping I can still get the tax deduction then. I actually want the 310 mile battery but not necessarily all the upgrades.
Did they tell you it would be 9/2018 when you clicked hold my place? How would they know that without you giving your specific config?
after clicking defer, the next page allows you to state when you want to defer to and they then say they will be in touch then.

FoolStreet
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:18 am

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by FoolStreet » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:16 pm

travellight wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:31 pm
Cramerica wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:20 pm
travellight wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:25 am
I decided to "hold my place" at this time rather than configure... I deferred to 9/2018 hoping I can still get the tax deduction then. I actually want the 310 mile battery but not necessarily all the upgrades.
Did they tell you it would be 9/2018 when you clicked hold my place? How would they know that without you giving your specific config?
after clicking defer, the next page allows you to state when you want to defer to and they then say they will be in touch then.
As a general PSA (not directed at you personally), the tax credit will phase out. Many assume 200k will deliver in Q2 so the full $7500 is available to all cars bought in Q2 and Q3. The credit halves for Q4 and Q119, the halves again for Q219.

travellight
Posts: 2781
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:52 pm
Location: San Diego

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by travellight » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:10 pm

FoolStreet wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:16 pm
travellight wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:31 pm
Cramerica wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:20 pm
travellight wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:25 am
I decided to "hold my place" at this time rather than configure... I deferred to 9/2018 hoping I can still get the tax deduction then. I actually want the 310 mile battery but not necessarily all the upgrades.
Did they tell you it would be 9/2018 when you clicked hold my place? How would they know that without you giving your specific config?
after clicking defer, the next page allows you to state when you want to defer to and they then say they will be in touch then.
As a general PSA (not directed at you personally), the tax credit will phase out. Many assume 200k will deliver in Q2 so the full $7500 is available to all cars bought in Q2 and Q3. The credit halves for Q4 and Q119, the halves again for Q219.
Yes, the estimates I read seemed to think the phase out would start in September, 2 months after crossing the 200k sold. I think I can move up my date if it appears it will be sooner. Probably safer to shoot for August...

FoolStreet
Posts: 574
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:18 am

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by FoolStreet » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:21 pm

travellight wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:10 pm
FoolStreet wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:16 pm
travellight wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:31 pm
Cramerica wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:20 pm
travellight wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:25 am
I decided to "hold my place" at this time rather than configure... I deferred to 9/2018 hoping I can still get the tax deduction then. I actually want the 310 mile battery but not necessarily all the upgrades.
Did they tell you it would be 9/2018 when you clicked hold my place? How would they know that without you giving your specific config?
after clicking defer, the next page allows you to state when you want to defer to and they then say they will be in touch then.
As a general PSA (not directed at you personally), the tax credit will phase out. Many assume 200k will deliver in Q2 so the full $7500 is available to all cars bought in Q2 and Q3. The credit halves for Q4 and Q119, the halves again for Q219.
Yes, the estimates I read seemed to think the phase out would start in September, 2 months after crossing the 200k sold. I think I can move up my date if it appears it will be sooner. Probably safer to shoot for August...
I hope the 200k hits in Q3, because my delivery estimate is late 2018, and that means I could receive the full 7500 credit for a Dec 18 purchase. I don’t see that happening unless Tesla diverts a good chunk of 3s from the US to Canada or Europe.

I want them to hit their production ramp goals, so sending the cars out of the country could give us the best of both worlds. Imagine full credit allowance in Q4. That would be awesome for all 3 buyers!

Cramerica
Posts: 226
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:30 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by Cramerica » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:39 pm

I would think Tesla will do that on purpose. That is, ensure that it lands on Q3 so they get full credit for Q4.

wrongfunds
Posts: 1908
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by wrongfunds » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:27 pm

Does Tesla release Factory Service Manual? In 30 years, I had never purchased a car without also buying FSM

ERISA Stone
Posts: 1490
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:54 am

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by ERISA Stone » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:40 pm

I went through a test drive at Tesla yesterday. The salesman said they're being told the tax credit will start to phase out in May. It could be a ploy to sell me a car, but if so, I would think he would've picked an earlier month.

240U
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:54 pm
Location: Silicon Valley

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by 240U » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:08 pm

That would mean that they already have delivered 200K cars in the USA already.

If they delivered the 200,000 car today they would have until the end of this quarter and then the end of Q2. So Jan, Feb, March end of Q1. April, May, June end of Q2 so under no condition can the credit start diminishing in May. It has to go through the end of June even if they had already sold 200K cars.

Now let's assume he meant that the 200K car limit was expected to be hit in May. Then June would be full credit, than July, August and Sept. would be full credit. October, November and December + Q1 19 would be 1/2 credit Q2 19 would be 1/4 credit.

I think that is how it goes. It could be that the full credit goes for current quarter and then 2 quarters at full then 2 at 1/4 then 1 at 1/4 credit. It is the end of the day and I just don't remember. In any event May is not the end of the quarter so the credit cannot start diminishing in that month

NewtoBogle
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by NewtoBogle » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:54 pm

ERISA Stone wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:40 pm
I went through a test drive at Tesla yesterday. The salesman said they're being told the tax credit will start to phase out in May. It could be a ploy to sell me a car, but if so, I would think he would've picked an earlier month.
Those guys often don't know what they're talking about from what I've read.

Jeff Albertson
Posts: 585
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:11 pm
Location: Springfield

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by Jeff Albertson » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:47 pm

CNET has a detailed review of the Tesla 3, including a 7 minute video.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/auto/2018 ... ge/review/

ERISA Stone
Posts: 1490
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:54 am

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by ERISA Stone » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:14 pm

NewtoBogle wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:54 pm
ERISA Stone wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:40 pm
I went through a test drive at Tesla yesterday. The salesman said they're being told the tax credit will start to phase out in May. It could be a ploy to sell me a car, but if so, I would think he would've picked an earlier month.
Those guys often don't know what they're talking about from what I've read.
That's fair.

wrongfunds
Posts: 1908
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by wrongfunds » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:26 am

Were you actually able to test drive Model 3?

240U
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:54 pm
Location: Silicon Valley

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by 240U » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:42 am

I have a friend that received his M3 last week. He is letting us test drive his tomorrow. Actually to be completely accurate, his wife is letting us test drive her car tomorrow. :-) He has the MX which she is uncomfortable driving as it feels too large for her.

I am really looking forward to it. We are test driving the Nissan Leaf II this afternoon and then the M3 tomorrow. Both of our BEV leases are up this year so we need to get replacements. I want the M3 after driving the Leaf for 35K. reasonable car for 20K but no way I am going to purchase a car with 85 mile range and no thermal management for the battery. Then how do you sell one when current models have 3 times the range. Additionally, the Tesla is the only BEV that can safely be taken out of the city with confidence. So even if I like the Leaf II which I have sat in already as I have the M3 I will be hard pressed to accept it as a full time car.

TravelGeek
Posts: 2451
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:23 am

240U wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:42 am
Then how do you sell one when current models have 3 times the range. Additionally, the Tesla is the only BEV that can safely be taken out of the city with confidence. So even if I like the Leaf II which I have sat in already as I have the M3 I will be hard pressed to accept it as a full time car.
Different people have different range requirements. Adding extra range for a BEV costs money. I think the difference between the 220 mile Model 3 and the 310 mile Model 3 is $9000. Some people will need more than 220 miles (though with Superchargers, it is somewhat questionable). But for how many is it worth $9000 to have that extra range? Same with the 2018 LEAF. 150 miles is a range that probably satisfies the daily commute for 95% of the US population. For those that have the ability to charge overnight at home, additional range (the 2019 Model) at significantly higher cost may not be worth it. Also consider that many households have two vehicles (our 2nd vehicle is a 2016 Forester, so our long range driving needs are taken care of for a long time; no need to pay $9k for an extra 90 miles of Model 3 range).

My gut feel is that many people significantly overpay for range they don’t need.

User avatar
just frank
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:13 pm
Location: Philly Metro

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by just frank » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:43 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:23 am
My gut feel is that many people significantly overpay for range they don’t need.
In our case, we had a '14 LEAF (85 mile EPA range) and a gas-wagon. We take a lot (like 15 per year) of 210 mile trips to NYC to see family, and the LEAF could not do that trip (without 4 DCFC stops).

So we did about 10,000 miles per year electric, and maybe 7000 miles on the gas-wagon.

We just replace the LEAF for a BOLT with a 238 mile EPA range, and it is great for the NYC trip. I expect to do 13,000 miles/yr electric and 3-4000 with gas.

The 2018 LEAF would still have been a pain on that 200 miles trip, since NYC is a DCFC desert. And the cost difference over the 2018 LEAF is pretty small.

So we are using the range we bought!

TravelGeek
Posts: 2451
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:26 pm

just frank wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:43 am

So we are using the range we bought!
Sure, so you are not one of the many. :)

In my case, we probably have 2-4 trips a years that exceed 150 miles (300-350 miles round trip). I am not interested in optimizing for that case by paying for extra battery capacity that just sits around (gets driven around) the rest of year when our daily driving is between 0 and 60 miles.

As i mentioned somewhere upstream, I would have gotten a Bolt already if the nearest dealer selling and servicing it wasn’t further away than the round trip range of the vehicle (yes, I could charge it there, but I really don’t want to drive that far if service is required).

So the 2018 LEAF is likely going to be our first EV. (I probably really should have leased a 2017 LEAF). At some point in the future (5-7 years would be my guess) we will go back to just one vehicle, which then will be an EV with larger range.

User avatar
4nursebee
Posts: 1101
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:56 am
Location: US

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by 4nursebee » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:56 pm

Model 3 has made it to showrooms in TX. My father says "If I live long enough I am going to have one of these"

http://www.wfaa.com/tech/local-tesla-fa ... /511890374
4nursebee

wrongfunds
Posts: 1908
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by wrongfunds » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:21 pm

Somebody said that since the default color is NOT multi-coat, it will fade in the long run. I don't want to believe that but that possibility exists. I do know that some manufacturers did have problems with some of the colors having problems after few years (e.g. Honda/Acura and some of the colors)

User avatar
BrandonBogle
Posts: 2109
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:19 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by BrandonBogle » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:53 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:21 pm
Somebody said that since the default color is NOT multi-coat, it will fade in the long run. I don't want to believe that but that possibility exists. I do know that some manufacturers did have problems with some of the colors having problems after few years (e.g. Honda/Acura and some of the colors)
The default black is the same paint code for black in the Model S all the way back to 2012. Hasn’t been a problem on those vehicles.

ClaycordJCA
Posts: 224
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:19 pm
Location: SF Bay Area

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by ClaycordJCA » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:25 am

4nursebee wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:56 pm
Model 3 has made it to showrooms in TX. My father says "If I live long enough I am going to have one of these"

http://www.wfaa.com/tech/local-tesla-fa ... /511890374
My 88 year old father put down his deposit late last year.

TravelGeek
Posts: 2451
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:48 pm

Just received an email from Tesla indicating that my delivery date has been updated (“slightly later window”)

Logged into my account and it now shows

First production (aka $49k) - May-June 2018
Standard battery (aka $35k) - early 2019
AWD - Late 2018

I preordered on April 1, 2016.

Looks like about four to six months delay on the $35k model since the last update?

User avatar
Leif
Posts: 2499
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:15 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by Leif » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:15 am

^ make sense. Probably most people are aware that the clock is ticking on the federal tax credit. The most expensive options are being done first, except AWD, but that is next. Less profitable, the standard battery, will come in 2019. It might be that if it appears they will lose part of the credit then some may change their order to the long battery. That would maximize profit for Tesla.
Leif wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:17 pm
No reason for them to hurry on the standard battery. Production timeline shows standard battery to start in sometime in 2018. I'm guessing late 2018 at best.

NewtoBogle
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by NewtoBogle » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:02 pm

They said on investor call they're not profitable on first run, so it makes sense (unfortunately) they are sticking with first run and AWD (higher margin) until costs go down and scale goes up.

The slightly good news is there are Canadian non owners with mid 2018 LR & AWD dates, so Tesla seems to intend to sell the more profitable cars there as well which wouldn't count against 200k US delivery cut off.

It's likely SR & AWD US line waiters are only getting $3750 tax rebate which is a punch in the gut. There's a small chance that Tesla will try to time the 200k US car sold to extend credit by prioritizing CA sales, but I'm not getting my hopes up at this point.

techthedj
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:06 am

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by techthedj » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:34 pm

Anyone else have a delivery estimate that is teetering on the edge of the phaseout (presumably end of Q3 based on most estimates, credit cuts in half beginning Q4) and and getting cold feet as a result?

Longdog
Posts: 1129
Joined: Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:56 pm
Location: Philadelphia

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by Longdog » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:48 am

techthedj wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:34 pm
Anyone else have a delivery estimate that is teetering on the edge of the phaseout (presumably end of Q3 based on most estimates, credit cuts in half beginning Q4) and and getting cold feet as a result?
My projected delivery date was pushed to Mar-May, if I choose the LR RWD premium upgrades version. I’m not having cold feet but the only reason I’d get the car now versus in 5-10 years when I’ll actually need a new car, is to take advantage of the federal tax credit. If, at the time I’m invited to configure, I am not confident of the tax credit, then “no T for me” at this time. Also, not interested in a car with a black leather* interior, so we’ll see whether there are lighter color interior options available. While I think Tesla is doing cool and important things, they have zero credibility when it comes to predicting dates.

*Feux leather
Last edited by Longdog on Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

240U
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:54 pm
Location: Silicon Valley

Re: To take or not to take delivery of Tesla 3

Post by 240U » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:16 am

Just to be clear. The Model 3 doesn't have leather interior. Tesla uses no leather in any of its cars.

Locked