Comcast Modem Rental

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
NavyIC3

Comcast Modem Rental

Post by NavyIC3 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:57 am

Comcast is charging $11/mo. for modem rental. Any thoughts on buying a modem to eliminate the rental fee?
Are there any problems with doing this?

spoonfork

Re: Comcast Modem Rental

Post by spoonfork » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:05 am

When I had Comcast I did the rental thing for over a year before just buying my own. I just bought the recommended one from The Wirecutter website and it worked fine.

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cable-modem/
Last edited by spoonfork on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:06 am

BrewOx wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:57 am
Comcast is charging $11/mo. for modem rental. Any thoughts on buying a modem to eliminate the rental fee?
I have this.
https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard- ... B00AJHDZSI

Not sure what advantages there could be renting from Comcast.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:06 am

Yes- buy your own modem. I bought my own from Amazon when I had no choice but to do business with Comcast several years back. Make sure it's compatible.

Once you have your modem, take the rental modem in person to a Comcast branch and get a receipt proving that you returned the equipment. Save this receipt forever. Comcast has a well-known scam where they claim you never returned the equipment, and 4 years down the road they send you a bill for $500.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:06 am

Yes! I bought my own Comast-compatible modem at Walmart a couple of years ago. Arris is the brand. It has paid for itself a couple of times.

Comcast has a web page of Compatible modems. Once you buy the modem, you have to call Comcast and give them the MAC address of the new modem, plug it in, and you're all set.

http://mynewmodem.xfinity.com
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:11 am

Yes, it makes good financial sense to buy a modem. Just be careful about getting a modem that is used or refurbished because your provider may give you a hard time if it is still registered to someone else's account. I actually had my provider tell me that they would not provision my refurb until I insisted. They really, really want you to rent or buy it from them. So if you buy a refurbished or used modem, make sure that you can return it if necessary.

Here's some good information specific to Comcast:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/home-networ ... ping-tips/

Something you might want to do is pay the for the rental for the first month if you are getting new service installed. The provider may try to blame the modem for any problems if it is not theirs. My provider did that, too, when the problem was actually something they needed to do on their end that they hadn't done.
Last edited by Pajamas on Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:14 am

You need to be specific as to whether the modem you need includes your telephone. If so... then the responses you get could be from people who only needed it for cable and that is a totally different modem. There are many and inexpensive modems for cable but very few and expensive ones that include telephone.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:16 am

I did it without any problem.

JT

gd

Post by gd » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:32 am

As I understand it, the problem with buying used is that there's a reasonable chance it's a rental that was never returned, and thus Comcast's stolen property. Buy new, it'll pay for itself within a year or two. As above, if you have phone through Comcast (digital voice) you'll need a more specific device so make sure you buy the right one. It's still cost-effective.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:43 am

Be careful to monitor your bills after buying and registering your own modem. Comcast is notorious for continuing to bill you for a rental even after you return it. The charge may disappear from your bill for a while, but then it will pop back up again. I recall hearing at some point that they were being sued over this practice. I'm not sure what happened with that litigation.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:58 am

Also be careful as Comcast likes to remove modems from their approved list without warning

Had a router / modem combo that worked perfectly for 3 months and then stopped since Comcast no longer supported it

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:00 am

Great question. I'm looking at doing the same thing. For modem compatibility you can also ask the agent directly; https://support.xfinity.com/chat
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:02 am

Go ahead and buy a compatible one. I think in my case, it paid for itself in just a few months.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:03 am

I've owned both a Comcast compatible and an RCN compatible modem. Both paid for themselves quickly and had no issues once activated. As above, if getting telephone service as well make sure the modem supports it (EMTA).

alfaspider

Post by alfaspider » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:17 am

Modem rental is one of the biggest rackets since the cable box was invented. You can get a perfectly good modem for $50, but they are charging you $11 a month :shock:

Liberty1100

Post by Liberty1100 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:27 am

I had purchased a Motorola Arris Surfboard to be used with my Comcast internet service. After switching it out, it worked fine... for a year. Then we started having issues which took two weeks to solve (we are both students that heavily depend on a reliable and fast internet connection due to live online meetings/lectures, conducting research, and accessing web-based programs). One tech came and brought a rental modem to try. With the rental, we had fast internet speeds again so we kept it. I still don't believe that our modem is broken, but it is not worth the frustration in dealing with Comcast.

My recommendation is: if you need to have highly reliable internet like me, stay with the comcast modem. If you are somewhat technical and you wouldn't notice if your internet performance was lowered, than do it. It pays for itself after a year.

*Also, if you plan on moving, not all modems will work with other internet providers.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:49 am

+1 on buying your own.

I am not an expert but some units will have the modem and router for wifi combined so you may need to get a router or combo unit. We have a seperate router.

One thing to do though is when you turn in your old rented modem is to get a receipt for it and keep the receipt. Comcast is notorious for billing you for equipment 18 months later like you never turned it in. The first you may hear of this is when a collection agency contacts you.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:10 am

I always have used my own modem with Comcast service, and at one point (as other's have mentioned,) they tried to charge me rent on my modem.

Several have suggested that you buy a Comcast approved modem, and I don''t disagree. But a few years ago Comcast sent an email indicating that my old modem was soon to be obsolete, so I bought a replacement that was on their approved list. I swapped modems, and then ran several speed tests. On the new approved modem, my service was significantly slower than it had been using my obsolete modem. I swapped back and have been using my old unapproved modem for the past few years with no issues. The new modem is back in the box, waiting for the day when my unapproved modem fails.

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:12 am

Why would anyone rent a modem from Comcast?

Buy your own, within 7 months it paid for itself.
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

rhornback

Post by rhornback » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:14 am

I have my own telephony cable modem.

It includes telephone and web access. So it costs more. I bought it because I HATE the idea of reoccurring costs. I think they sneak up on people. $10 a month doesn't sound like much until you have had it for 2 years and you are at $240.

My modem is similar to this one on amazon which costs around $240

https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Surfboard- ... dpSrc=srch

My problem though is Comcast seems to keep improving their network. My blast speed is now 100 mps. I wonder if at some point my cable modem will be obsolete.

Also if you have a Comcast modem you can do your own network availability testing (I cannot with my modem).

So I guess I feel it is a tie on whether or not to buy or rent. Except if you are like me and hate the idea of reoccurring costs.

AntsOnTheMarch

Post by AntsOnTheMarch » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:22 am

I’ve run my own modem for at least 15 years, I think. I had to switch once—in ~2012 due to a new protocol and my old modem not supporting it. The new modem I got in 2012 is no longer supported by Comcast but runs fine. I have 25Mb downstream service and speed test shows 30Mb routinely on this “unsupported” modem. I don’t see how $11 per month is going to help anyone but Comcast. I think of modem rental as the old days of Ma Bell when you used to rent your phone. So 20th century! :D

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:29 am

BrewOx wrote:
please buy your own. they have a list online of compatible ones.
Modem: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cable-modem/
youll pay it off in 5 months.

In case you need a router as well, go for the budget pick: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... gear-r6700

make sure you call them too and confirm it was returned. TWC tried to charge me for 2 extra billing cycles once i returned it because their store never shipped it back..... :oops: :twisted:

Atgard

Post by Atgard » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:59 am

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:06 am
BrewOx wrote:
I have this.

Just to add 1 more vote: buying your own modem is generally very easy (setting up a router is sometimes difficult, but modems are usually very plug & play), and pays for itself in like 6 months or so. (Those recurring cable/phone/modem, etc. bills milk people for way more than they think in the long run.)

I also got the Arris SB6141 and it works perfectly on Comcast with 100Mbps download speeds. Never had one issue. If it breaks, I can buy 5 more and still have saved money over what I would have paid Comcast every month to rent one.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:25 am

I bought my own modem about six years ago and I haven't had any issues with it.

McCharley

Post by McCharley » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:39 am

As others have posted, renting your own makes tons of sense. You will need to call Comcast to get them to recognize it when you swap it.

Do make sure you get a receipt for returning your old modem or they will charge you in the future -- maybe years in the future. Do watch your bill like a hawk as Comcast will begin billing you rental for a modem you do not have (they have done it to me). :annoyed Also, while you're at it, make sure they are not charging you for "inside wire repair" as, in fact, they will not actually repair inside wires whether or not you pay for this.

The last time I had issues with Comcast they blamed my modem. It was not that old so I knew that wasn't the problem but I went ahead and bought another -- actually, I bought two: I bought a cheapo (but approved one) that I keep in the box for the next time they want to blame my modem.

My problem actually turned out to be the substandard cable that Comcast had supplied for going between the modem and the computer. (I had replaced the modem but not the cable.) So my advice is to replace those coax cables, too, when you replace your modem. :sharebeer

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:00 pm

knpstr wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:12 am
Why would anyone rent a modem from Comcast?
Comcast Business Class requires that you rent the modem from Comcast.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:41 pm

MOST important when returning any Comcast equipment, TAKE IT to their store, GET a receipt, SAVE that receipt, and make sure they stop billing you for that equipment.

The last time I turned in equipment, they continued to bill me, when I called, the Rep could clearly see it had been turned it, yet it was still on the billing list.

All cable modems, including Comcast's, are DOCSIS based, a defined std like Ethernet and TCP/IP are. As long as you are using Std Speed 80-150 M-bit( not Giga-bit speeds ), any DOCSIS 3.0 modem should work fine. Don't waste your $ buying a 3.1 unless you really want the extra speed, and note that Comcast will charge you extra for that speed. The ARRIS ( formerly Motorola ) SURF BOARDS are fine modems.

I personally prefer separate Modem and Router/WiFI units, but many people are happy with a Combo Unit. Most Routers will work right out-of-the box with their default settings and their supplied security codes.

NavyIC3

Post by NavyIC3 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:19 pm

Thanks for all the help. I currently have a Comcast Cisco gateway that I am using as a modem because I have a Netgear router. I have my phone line coming from the modem. What type of modem do I need? Do i have to replace it with a gateway or can I just buy a wifi modem? What type of modem do I need? This is my current gateway:

Cisco Model DPC3941T DOCSIS 3.0
24x4 Wireless Residential Voice
Gateway

Thanks

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:13 pm

AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
BrewOx wrote:
I have this.

I have that same one as well, check the # of reviews on that thing, never seen an item with that many. Works flawless.

Stop paying the fees to Comcast, you can buy a new modem every 6mos with that fee.

There are no advantages renting from Comcast... it's a rip off
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:42 am

gunn_show wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:13 pm
AntsOnTheMarch wrote:
BrewOx wrote:
I have this.

I have that same one as well, check the # of reviews on that thing, never seen an item with that many. Works flawless.

Stop paying the fees to Comcast, you can buy a new modem every 6mos with that fee.

There are no advantages renting from Comcast... it's a rip off
I ordered the same one as well, based on feedback from this thread. Should be here today.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:51 am

I have always purchased my own modem rather than pay Comcast monthly fee,,
Matter of fact I just upgraded to take advantage of New Docis3.1 Speed with Comcast.
Superb. :happy

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6 ... UTF8&psc=1
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

KSAL889813

Post by KSAL889813 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:57 am

climber2020 wrote:
Once you have your modem, take the rental modem in person to a Comcast branch and get a receipt proving that you returned the equipment. Save this receipt forever. Comcast has a well-known scam where they claim you never returned the equipment, and 4 years down the road they send you a bill for $500.
They tried to do this with me about 3 years after I returned their equipment and then went back to Comcast! Thankfully I never trusted them and kept my receipt.

On a side note, I'll never go back to Comcast every again, such an incompetent & unscrupulous company (imo anyway).

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:09 am

BrewOx wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:19 pm
Thanks for all the help. I currently have a Comcast Cisco gateway that I am using as a modem because I have a Netgear router. I have my phone line coming from the modem. What type of modem do I need? Do i have to replace it with a gateway or can I just buy a wifi modem? What type of modem do I need? This is my current gateway:

Cisco Model DPC3941T DOCSIS 3.0
24x4 Wireless Residential Voice
Gateway

Thanks
Sounds like you have your phone as part of your Comcast deal. BE CAREFUL. Many of these responses and suggestions on modems are NOT for use with a telephone.

clutchied

Post by clutchied » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:25 am

BrewOx wrote:
I bought my own 4 years ago. Its' great. it was like $90... so I think i'm pretty far ahead :)

Costco had the motorola one's. Docsis 3.0 and up I believe is what you want. It appears 3.1 is NEW! I don't know the advantages but I'll check it out.

Evidently my motorola is now an Arris surfboard.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:37 am

Please note that the OP has voice service and xfinity has very few gateways that are approved for voice.

There are basically three kinds of such gateways and the cost is north of $200.

FWIW! A Comcast gateway combines modem and router and there is no need for a separate router.

SuperMirage

Post by SuperMirage » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:34 pm

I've just gone through this process in an effort to lower monthly costs after the contract ended and bill went way over $200/mo.

Before: Triple Play with the Comcast modem
Now: Phone migrated to Ooma, bought my own modem, negotiated a new Double Play package, and returned the Comcast modem

Result is around $40/month savings.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:14 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:37 am
Please note that the OP has voice service and xfinity has very few gateways that are approved for voice.

There are basically three kinds of such gateways and the cost is north of $200.

FWIW! A Comcast gateway combines modem and router and there is no need for a separate router.
I found a used one on Amazon for $80 for my mom who has the misfortune of living in a place where Comcast is the best option. The used modem works great so far after 3 years.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:06 pm

No need to go to a Comcast location and wait for an hour. They partnered with UPS and you can return your modem/router through them and get a receipt. Pays for itself in less than a year.

bob1234

Post by bob1234 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:32 pm

On a related note, has anyone been able to avoid renting the digital adapters for secondary TVs with Comcast? I have an X1 DVR for my primary, but pay $6/month for each additional digital adaptor. Haven't seen those available for purchase.

furwut

Post by furwut » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:58 pm

bob1234 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:32 pm
On a related note, has anyone been able to avoid renting the digital adapters for secondary TVs with Comcast? I have an X1 DVR for my primary, but pay $6/month for each additional digital adaptor. Haven't seen those available for purchase.
Comcast has long scrambled premium channels to prevent theft of signal and required home users rent a set top box or device. In the last few years Comcast has moved to scrambling everything - premium, non-premium and even the signal of your local TV stations (which are free via over the air reception). Since the adapter is what unscrambles the signal you won’t be able to get it elsewhere (legally).

My breaking point with Comcast was a result of them trying to force me into perpetually renting this adapter just to watch the local stations. Even worse Comcast offered me 2 adapters. One was $6/mo and the other $10/mo. The $6 adapter only unlocked SD quality. The second adapter would have given me HD BUT Comcast would rent that only to people on much more expensive plans.

I love Comcast. :twisted:

tbone1

Post by tbone1 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:11 am

i'm not going to read everything that has been posted, but here is what I experienced: get one from THEIR list. the end. of course, if you plan on staying with Comcast long-term i.e. at least a year, buy a modem. don't forget a good router (if it isn't included).

emoore

Post by emoore » Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:52 am

bob1234 wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:32 pm
I have a friend who is going through this right now. Seems like he was able to install the Xfinity app on his Roku and use that to watch cable on the other tvs without the adapter. Roku must have partnered with Comcast since the app is not supported on any other device.