Vanguard site is crashed now?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
AZAttorney11

Re: Vanguard site is crashed now?

Post by AZAttorney11 »

Whether one was looking to buy, sell, rebalance, or simply check the status of their account or other activity, it is inexcusable for an entire platform to be unavailable during regular market hours. Pathetic technology and reliability on full display from Vanguard today.
miamivice

Post by miamivice »

themesrob wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:32 pm I wasn't planning on doing any trading today, but I find it utterly incomprehensible that some folks would make light of an entire platform going down and people being unable to place orders. That's not acceptable on any day. But sure, lolz panic trading
I'm 38 years old.

My entire life, folks have come out with new computer-based systems, and each time they have, the systems have promptly crashed. Or a random event has happened and crashed a system due to unexpected demand. Or normal demand crashed the system. I would love to live in a perfect world where this doesn't happen, but from my experience this is normal and typical. I'm sure it's frustrating for those wanting to make a trade, but not unusual in the world that I have lived in.

It's a 'meh' moment for me.
Fundhunter

Post by Fundhunter »

samsoes wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:13 pm Ladies and gentlemen who couldn't reach Vanguard:

Were we market timing?

Shame! :mrgreen:
Exactly! Why would you need to do something today in the down market unless you are a MARKET TIMER? That is NOT "staying the course". I think some people on this site really do not buy into the philosophy.
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

samsoes wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:13 pm Ladies and gentlemen who couldn't reach Vanguard:

Were we market timing?

Tax-loss harvesting -- best done at the bottom.
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

I've got access. It's been a good day to buy! Was gonna buy anyway.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Got my order in 45 minutes before close. It's a 3% flash sale!
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

Fundhunter wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:41 pm

Were we market timing?

Exactly! Why would you need to do something today in the down market unless you are a MARKET TIMER? That is NOT "staying the course". I think some people on this site really do not buy into the philosophy.
Sometimes doing nothing is the opposite of staying the course. That should be obvious but is often overlooked.
Quod vitae sectabor iter?
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Were we market timing?

I'm one of them! :wink: Though I'm a trend follower, so I wasn't buying today. I'm waiting for my indices to hit my objectively-defined sell point.

But yes, major market moves have a strong tendency to reveal what is otherwise hidden.
The Sensible Steward
AZAttorney11

Post by AZAttorney11 »

Were we market timing?

That's not the issue. The issue is that Vanguard lacks the ability to handle a surge in traffic and its customers cannot do anything with their accounts during normal market operations during periods of high volatility. It's not acceptable. There are plenty of legitimate reasons for people to buy, sell, or simply access their account on a given day. The thought that people are defending Vanguard because "why would you need to do something in a down market unless you are a MARKET TIMER" completely misses the point.
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

AZAttorney11 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:50 pm

Were we market timing?

That's not the issue. The issue is that Vanguard lacks the ability to handle a surge in traffic and its customers cannot do anything with their accounts during normal market operations during periods of high volatility. It's not acceptable. There are plenty of legitimate reasons for people to buy, sell, or simply access their account on a given day. The thought that people are defending Vanguard because "why would you need to do something in a down market unless you are a MARKET TIMER" completely misses the point.
Completely agree. I wanted to make IRA contribution and DW wanted to add security code text to he account.
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
ivyhedge

Post by ivyhedge »

I contribute to taxable each M/W/F, and generally do so at 1545hrs. I was locked out, as well.

Of note: just got in at 1455, but I experienced some hiccups with my security questions.
Polymath.
brainstorming

Vanguard Unavailable for Trading

Post by brainstorming »

[merged this post into the existing topic - moderator prudent]

At 3:30pm on 2/5/2018, Vanguard online, telephone support was unavailable and therefore I was unable to make any trades until after 4:00pm. I wanted to buy more funds but was unable. I finally got through to support at 4:45pm and they told me management was working on the issue and that they were sorry but if I still wanted to buy it would be for 2/6/2018 date. I feel like I got the shaft! Thoughts?
zx14rr

Post by zx14rr »

When the market goes down some more, Vanguard will be bragging about how their inadequate computer system saved you money.
sergeant

Post by sergeant »

willthrill81 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:33 pm
themesrob wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:32 pm I wasn't planning on doing any trading today, but I find it utterly incomprehensible that some folks would make light of an entire platform going down and people being unable to place orders. That's not acceptable on any day. But sure, lolz panic trading
Yes, it doesn't raise one's confidence in Vanguard's operations. I wonder if any other platforms went down today.
CNBC reporting that almost all major players had their systems go down.
For the ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. | Pensions= 2X yearly expenses. Portfolio= 40X yearly expenses.
DemoEngr

Post by DemoEngr »

I was in and out multiple times on Schwab, did not do anything but I was curious if based on events and volumes. Maybe I was lucky but no issues with platform.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Don't buy anything you're not comfortable holding if the market closed for ten years or if you can't access Vanguard.com for a week.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Fundhunter

Post by Fundhunter »

sergeant wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:04 pm
Yes, it doesn't raise one's confidence in Vanguard's operations. I wonder if any other platforms went down today.
CNBC reporting that almost all major players had their systems go down.
Yes, undoubtedly because so many people were trying to sell. Fewer Bogleheads than others I am sure, but enough Vanguard customers to crash the site.
Parthenon

Post by Parthenon »

Looks like Yahoo Mail was having some problems today not just in the USA but all around the world.

Ed
"What am I gonna do if I run out of money?"
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

TDAmeritrade was slow, I was able log on and view holdings.
I think? I am on the Amtrak Starlight and there are some mobile/cell blind spots. Anyway no buy orders that are of immediate concern :!:

However, having any brokerage platorm that you cannot access is tantamount to your local bank locking their ATM and doors :annoyed .
YMMV.
GL :sharebeer
Last edited by itstoomuch on Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
ShenziNation

Post by ShenziNation »

Were we market timing?

This. For a massive firm that cannot scale their IT load due to demand speaks volumes of neglecting the back-end infrastructure. If Vanguard was running on a cloud platform like AWS/MS Azure/Google Cloud Platform, you wouldn't be getting 500 Internal Server errors, etc. I was able to log in the second time, but then couldn't see any balances on any of my accounts.
RetireBy55

Post by RetireBy55 »

Wow - just as I was considering consolidating most if not all of my accounts at VG.

Think I'll keep my Scottrade accounts after all.

Was able to buy some Realty Income (O) at a 5+% dividend during the flash crash. Missed the bottom but still got a very respectable price.

Thank you, Scottrade for not buckling under the load. Will probably buy some more 5%+ Div stocks tomorrow as the rout continues (buy low, sell high..)

As an IT guy, it's pretty inexcusable to me that a huge company like VG does not have the ability to scale under heavy load. Hard for the CIO to keep their job if that were to happen again..of course, the poor lad/lass probably is given a shoestring budget since it's VG and they just do not seem to make the investments needed to properly run the business.

Food for thought..
ShenziNation

Post by ShenziNation »

RetireBy55 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:28 pm As an IT guy, it's pretty inexcusable to me that a huge company like VG does not have the ability to scale under heavy load. Hard for the CIO to keep their job if that were to happen again..of course, the poor lad/lass probably is given a shoestring budget since it's VG and they just do not seem to make the investments needed to properly run the business.

Food for thought..
There are times when I wonder if VG's IT director/team has ever compared using on-premises datacenter costs to running on AWS/Azure/GCP using a TCO calculator. You can't be too cheap when it comes to IT, you get what you pay for.

I am thinking of moving my VBS account to a trading platform that's cloud based and can handle traffic.
itworks

Post by itworks »

Did not try Vanguard today, but logged into Fidelity and did a small-scale rebalance there. Order submitted 20 minute ahead of market close. No issues whatsoever...
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

daveydoo wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:43 pm

Were we market timing?

Oh, you know that today was the bottom? :twisted:
Dale_G

Post by Dale_G »

no need to log on, still well away from my rebalancing bands. And those who were concerned about the high CAPE numbers should rest slightly easier today.

Hang in there all,

Dale
Volatility is my friend
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

bad78andy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:35 pm There are times when I wonder if VG's IT director/team has ever compared using on-premises datacenter costs to running on AWS/Azure/GCP using a TCO calculator. You can't be too cheap when it comes to IT, you get what you pay for.

I am thinking of moving my VBS account to a trading platform that's cloud based and can handle traffic.
AWS has had outages, too (not specifically today, but in general). And just because you run on someone else’s computer doesn’t mean your system stays up 24/7/365.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

TravelGeek wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:42 pm

Were we market timing?

I think this is just a taste of the preview to the main event.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

tbradnc wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:17 pm I was able to login at 4:17 EST.
My wife logged in at 3:40ish and I logged in on a different computer around 4:15 from same location. Both times, no issues.

Seems like a bunch of folks wanted to make 3:50pm trades.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I was just able to get on and make a transaction without a problem.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
daveydoo

Post by daveydoo »

Were we market timing?

Of course not, but I see how the day is going and expect little new in the way of global news in the closing 30 minutes of the day's session. Whereas if there were a big rebound in an earlier-opening market, US markets could open substantially higher tomorrow and will be less effective in TLH. Crux with TLH, imo, is swapping as synchronously as possible. I don't care what I hold, but I'd rather capture as much loss as possible in holding it (to offset present gains and to carry forward).
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"
sport

Post by sport »

Vanguard has millions of account owners. If a substantial percentage of them try to access the web site at the same time, that would be enough to bring down most any site.
lostdog

Post by lostdog »

Choy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:09 pm C’mon guys. It’s not a bug. It’s a feature. They call it “stay the course protection” for days like this :wink:
+1
Stocks-80% || Bonds-20% || Taxable-VTI/VXUS || IRA-VT/BNDW
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

If a modern company like Vanguard has 1 million account holders who have accessed their account via the Internet in the past year, then what is the proper IT design for the expected maximum number of simultaneous/concurrent logon sessions?
200,000?
800,000?

IT experts here need to reach consensus if we are to be able to tell Vanguard what to do...
Attempted new signature...
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

I logged-in successfully this afternoon and again just now.
The only issue I had this afternoon was I had to request a text message security code twice.
The first one didn’t come to my iPhone so I required it again.
Received it in a few seconds.
No orders placed, just checking some bonds.

Don
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

lostdog wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:56 pm
Choy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:09 pm C’mon guys. It’s not a bug. It’s a feature. They call it “stay the course protection” for days like this :wink:
+1
+1....got a chuckle outta that one...😀😀
nasrullah

Post by nasrullah »

Incoming ROFLCOPTER!

ROFL:ROFL:ROFL:ROFL
___^___ _
L __/ [] \
LOL===__ \
L \___ ___ ___]
I I
----------/
Doing nothing is doing something.
ShenziNation

Post by ShenziNation »

TravelGeek wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:45 pm
bad78andy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:35 pm There are times when I wonder if VG's IT director/team has ever compared using on-premises datacenter costs to running on AWS/Azure/GCP using a TCO calculator. You can't be too cheap when it comes to IT, you get what you pay for.

AWS has had outages, too (not specifically today, but in general). And just because you run on someone else’s computer doesn’t mean your system stays up 24/7/365.
AWS has availability zones, regions, load balancers, secondary routing, you design for high availability and scalability. Even if you have a blip, you are up within minutes, not like today where 60 minutes after market close VG site was still unaccessible.

Maybe the VG faithful here don't want to acknowledge what VG isn't doing well; everyone wants a pat on the back.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

sport wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:51 pm Vanguard has millions of account owners. If a substantial percentage of them try to access the web site at the same time, that would be enough to bring down most any site.
Apparently it was not enough to bring down other sites with millions of account owners, such as Fidelity.
woof755

Post by woof755 »

greg24 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:26 pm I demand the site is up so that I can execute my panic trading.
Even if it pertained to me, this kind of snark isn't all that helpful. The market closes at 11am my time (in the fall and winter).
I want the site to be up when I need the site to be up. That's all.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
themesrob

Post by themesrob »

Were we market timing?

This. We aren't talking about Joe's Cat Photo Blog, but rather the world's largest mutual fund provider. They should be load tested to the hilt for exactly these types of situations.
wootwoot

Post by wootwoot »

OMG the sky is falling. Market timers unite!
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

Not trying to hyjack this thread, but did anyone else see Cramer this afternoon?
He really kinda lost it about the time the DOW was down around 1700 points.
Something to the effects that the market systems were fake, CNBC news was fake.
He was going bonkers....again.
I turned the TV off, and generally I like to watch CNBC.

Don
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

themesrob wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:06 pm

Were we market timing?

You make a very valid point.
This. We aren't talking about Joe's Cat Photo Blog, but rather the world's largest mutual fund provider. They should be load tested to the hilt for exactly these types of situations.
You make a very valid point.
Mithrilman

Post by Mithrilman »

I'm a bit surprised this didn't become a news item. I can't seem to find any mention of it.
Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs; therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity, or undue depression in adversity. -Socrates
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:46 pm

Were we market timing?

I think this is just a taste of the preview to the main event.
So your crystal ball has cleared up? :wink:

Actually, I think this is just a flash crash and that will be back where we were before long. But who knows...
The Sensible Steward
snowman

Post by snowman »

I logged in multiple times throughout the day into Fidelity and TDA. No issues whatsoever. After seeing this thread, I tried to log in to Vanguard just to see if true - yep, no access.

No need to trade for me, but I though other BHs might find this info useful.
cutehumor

Post by cutehumor »

Sell! Sell! Stock is gonna drop another ten percent this week by this Friday! :twisted:
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

snowman wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:16 pm I logged in multiple times throughout the day into Fidelity and TDA. No issues whatsoever. After seeing this thread, I tried to log in to Vanguard just to see if true - yep, no access.

I logged in successfully just a few minutes ago...no problem at all.
I used my iPad to login to VG website.

Don
DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 »

RetireBy55 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:28 pm Wow - just as I was considering consolidating most if not all of my accounts at VG.

Think I'll keep my Scottrade accounts after all.

Was able to buy some Realty Income (O) at a 5+% dividend during the flash crash. Missed the bottom but still got a very respectable price.

Thank you, Scottrade for not buckling under the load. Will probably buy some more 5%+ Div stocks tomorrow as the rout continues (buy low, sell high..)

As an IT guy, it's pretty inexcusable to me that a huge company like VG does not have the ability to scale under heavy load. Hard for the CIO to keep their job if that were to happen again..of course, the poor lad/lass probably is given a shoestring budget since it's VG and they just do not seem to make the investments needed to properly run the business.

Food for thought..
This is one reason why I still have Scottrade, pretty good execution. Vanguard maybe free but I’m not sure it’s really free.
That said I was able to buy some when it was down 2%, but after that I was thinking of putting in limit order but I was unable to. Maybe it’s best to put in limit order. If it hits then it hits. I never could buy the lowest and sell the absolute highest for the day.
Last edited by DrGoogle2017 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snowman

Post by snowman »

bondsr4me wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:19 pm
snowman wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:16 pm I logged in multiple times throughout the day into Fidelity and TDA. No issues whatsoever. After seeing this thread, I tried to log in to Vanguard just to see if true - yep, no access.

I logged in successfully just a few minutes ago...no problem at all.
I used my iPad to login to VG website.

Don
I was talking about the time this thread just started. I did not post right away. Maybe that should have been clarified.

I just wanted to offer my personal experience since someone suggested other firms had issues too. At that specific time before market closing, I tried to login to all 3. No issues with Fidelity and TDA, no access with Vanguard.