What advice would you give yourself if you were 27 again?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
comspe09

Post by comspe09 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:10 pm

Hi All! I've been looking around for awhile, and finally decided to get some insight for myself. Finished reading The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing not too long ago. Hoping to start the new year off on the right track. Long story short, my goal is to check in and see if my approach makes sense.

Income: $95K
Single - Colorado Resident
Tax Rate: Fed 24%/ CO 4.63%

Debt:
Mortgage - $333K (@ 3.625%) bought 2 yrs ago

Assets:
Emergency Fund - $20.5K
HSA - $10K (all cash, thinking of investing a portion soon)
TSP (401(k)) - $57K (TSP Options - https://www.tsp.gov/InvestmentFunds/Fun ... atrix.html)
Current Allocation is 100% stocks. Expense ratio ~0.038%
  • C Fund - 50%
  • S Fund - 35%
  • I Fund - 15%
Taxable (Robinhood Acct) - $5K (opened just to play around and learn more about stocks)
  • VTI ETF - 50%
  • Individual stocks (apple, facebook, southwest, etc.) - 50%
Home - $382.5K (Redfin Estimate)

Current Contributions:
10% pretax ($9.5K) w/ 5% match ($4.75K) into TSP
Maxing HSA

Questions:
  • If I stick w/ the Federal govt, I would be eligible for a pension when I retire. If I work until 62, based on the current computation rules, the pension would be roughly 45% of my salary. Due to this pension, I've seen a lot of talk about putting more money into a roth acct as opposed to a traditional acct. I've also learned more about RMDs and their impact on traditional accts. The first question is would you recommend contributing to a Roth acct? I considered doing a split between traditional and roth tsp this year: $9,250 traditional and $6,500 roth.
  • If I were to go with a Roth, what are the benefits to using a Vanguard Roth IRA for example vs. my Roth TSP? I understand at some point I can rollover the roth tsp into a roth IRA to avoid the RMD issue. I suppose the other benefits are expanded fund options in a Vanguard than what is available in the TSP but how important is that really?
  • A short-term goal of mine (next 5-10 yrs) is to purchase a vacation condo in the Rocky Mountains that I could also use as a stream of income (Air BnB, VBRO, etc.). My current thought process is to max my trad TSP (or split trad and roth TSP equivalent to the max trad) and then down the road not feel bad if I use some of that money for a downpayment on this condo. I know this is generally discouraged, but I see it as an investment. Does this seems like an OK plan, or am I better off reducing my retirement contributions and placing this money into a taxable acct (or regular savings acct) to use for a downpayment down the road.
  • Lastly, does it make sense to start investing my HSA funds? I'm with HSA Bank and there are only two options, and I think I'm leaning towards TD Ameritrade's free ETFs. Would it make sense to leave $10K in cash, and invest everything else into the market? The deductible is $1.5K and the catastrophic out-of-pocket max is $5K.
Thanks a ton!!!!!

wfisher

Re: What advice would you give yourself if you were 27 again?

Post by wfisher » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:34 pm

Get a haircut.

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:45 pm

I was making $23k a year at that age in a moderately high cost of living area, so my situation is different from yours.

I would say 1) Get disability insurance if you can qualify for it (I couldn't due to pre existing conditions). 2) Don't adjust your lifestyle upward if your income rises substantially because you never know when it might stop altogether.

I had to stop working at age 33 due to a debilitating medical condition that costs tens of thousands of dollars a year. I definitely lived below my means during the three years of good income that I had, but I wish I had lived even lower.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:57 pm

Max your Pre-tax 401k as soon as you can.

Don't mess with individual stocks.

Spend less on cars.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

tarmangani

Post by tarmangani » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Visit bogleheads.org

Edit: To help you with the HSA question, here's a thread from here, viewtopic.php?t=204400

Keiser2015

Post by Keiser2015 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:20 pm

You are a million years ahead of everyone your age as far as financially speaking. Maybe try to focus on simplifying your finances as much as possible, and using more of your free time (and general thinking) in building strong relationships and friendships with others. I find more happiness in building strong relationships with others, then trying to spend every second thinking about money/investments and the "perfect plan to maximize return and limit risk".

invst65

Post by invst65 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:34 pm

At age 27 I'd tell myself not to sit for long hours at my desk and watch my posture while sitting. At age 68 I know my neck and back would thank me later.

BlueRidgePro

Post by BlueRidgePro » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:44 pm

Don't marry her.

Dyloot

Post by Dyloot » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:23 pm

BlueRidgePro wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:44 pm
Don't marry her.
+1

KATNYC

Post by KATNYC » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:24 pm

Buy and hold Facebook and Amazon.
Pay off student loans ASAP.

KATNYC

Post by KATNYC » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:29 pm

comspe09 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:10 pm
Hi All! I've been looking around for awhile, and finally decided to get some insight for myself. Finished reading The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing not too long ago. Hoping to start the new year off on the right track. Long story short, my goal is to check in and see if my approach makes sense.

Income: $95K
Single - Colorado Resident
Tax Rate: Fed 24%/ CO 4.63%

Debt:
Mortgage - $333K (@ 3.625%) bought 2 yrs ago

Assets:
Emergency Fund - $20.5K
HSA - $10K (all cash, thinking of investing a portion soon)
TSP (401(k)) - $57K (TSP Options - https://www.tsp.gov/InvestmentFunds/Fun ... atrix.html)
Current Allocation is 100% stocks. Expense ratio ~0.038%
  • C Fund - 50%
  • S Fund - 35%
  • I Fund - 15%
Taxable (Robinhood Acct) - $5K (opened just to play around and learn more about stocks)
  • VTI ETF - 50%
  • Individual stocks (apple, facebook, southwest, etc.) - 50%
Home - $382.5K (Redfin Estimate)

Current Contributions:
10% pretax ($9.5K) w/ 5% match ($4.75K) into TSP
Maxing HSA

Questions:
  • If I stick w/ the Federal govt, I would be eligible for a pension when I retire. If I work until 62, based on the current computation rules, the pension would be roughly 45% of my salary. Due to this pension, I've seen a lot of talk about putting more money into a roth acct as opposed to a traditional acct. I've also learned more about RMDs and their impact on traditional accts. The first question is would you recommend contributing to a Roth acct? I considered doing a split between traditional and roth tsp this year: $9,250 traditional and $6,500 roth.
  • If I were to go with a Roth, what are the benefits to using a Vanguard Roth IRA for example vs. my Roth TSP? I understand at some point I can rollover the roth tsp into a roth IRA to avoid the RMD issue. I suppose the other benefits are expanded fund options in a Vanguard than what is available in the TSP but how important is that really?
  • A short-term goal of mine (next 5-10 yrs) is to purchase a vacation condo in the Rocky Mountains that I could also use as a stream of income (Air BnB, VBRO, etc.). My current thought process is to max my trad TSP (or split trad and roth TSP equivalent to the max trad) and then down the road not feel bad if I use some of that money for a downpayment on this condo. I know this is generally discouraged, but I see it as an investment. Does this seems like an OK plan, or am I better off reducing my retirement contributions and placing this money into a taxable acct (or regular savings acct) to use for a downpayment down the road.
  • Lastly, does it make sense to start investing my HSA funds? I'm with HSA Bank and there are only two options, and I think I'm leaning towards TD Ameritrade's free ETFs. Would it make sense to leave $10K in cash, and invest everything else into the market? The deductible is $1.5K and the catastrophic out-of-pocket max is $5K.
Thanks a ton!!!!!
I think you are in the 22% tax bracket for 2018 after TSP contribtuions and HSA.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:35 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:57 pm

Spend less on cars.
Bingo!

Especially the cars part. OUCH!

Also, your first house doesn't need to look like one on HGTV.

PugetSoundguy

Post by PugetSoundguy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:39 pm

Keiser2015 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:20 pm
You are a million years ahead of everyone your age as far as financially speaking. Maybe try to focus on simplifying your finances as much as possible, and using more of your free time (and general thinking) in building strong relationships and friendships with others. I find more happiness in building strong relationships with others, then trying to spend every second thinking about money/investments and the "perfect plan to maximize return and limit risk".
Agree 100% -- you are more than fine financially. If I were you I would travel on the cheap as much as possible. I would definitely not be considering a vacation condo at age 27. There will be plenty of time to unnecessarily complicate your life later.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:44 pm

You dodged a bullet!
Buy stock in the fruit company and hold it no matter what!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Hulu

Post by Hulu » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:04 pm

Meditate. And find someone who at a high level spends time/money the same as you.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:08 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:57 pm

Spend less on cars.
Max out your pre-tax and look at buying a local rental property if you plan to stay in the area.. It'll be great to give to your kids later on.. Pay down the mortgage a little extra but not aggressively... you have a good rate.. but when they goes away you will double your cashflow power.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:09 pm

Dyloot wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:23 pm
BlueRidgePro wrote:
Don't marry her.
+1
+2

salecat0709

Post by salecat0709 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:10 pm

The investment knowledge I have now that I had no clue about when I was 27.

samsoes

Post by samsoes » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:15 pm

When I was 27? Early 1990's...hmmm....let me think...

Well, I'd buy-up every tech stock I could and sell them all in February, 2000.
Figure out a way to stop the 9/11/2001 attacks.
Last edited by samsoes on Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:16 pm

Say "yes" more often.

PugetSoundguy

Post by PugetSoundguy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:18 pm

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:09 pm
Dyloot wrote:
BlueRidgePro wrote:
Don't marry her.
+1
+2
Or... don't let her (or him) get away...

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:26 pm

Dyloot wrote:
BlueRidgePro wrote:
Don't marry her.
+1
Guess I’m luckier than some; I married her at age 22, and am still happily married to the same woman at age 62.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

survivor

Post by survivor » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:30 pm

I married the wrong person at 19, biggest financial mistake every, divorced at 25, best financial decision every. Thank goodness I did not have any children with her.

Toons

Post by Toons » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:30 pm

Keep doing what I was doing.
If I hadn't I wouldn't be ther person I am today.

:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Nectarineman

Post by Nectarineman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:44 pm

Don't get married before you are 32
Max out 401k and IRA
Live WELL below your means
Learn to get along with others at work
Pursue an education that will allow you to enjoy what you do for a living
Don't worry about what others think, especially financially

kenoryan

Post by kenoryan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:47 pm

Buy Appl at $4, FB at 25, AMZN at 50 and hold for ever
Enjoy your 30th birthday and take some pictures so you can remember when you're 58!

Mr.BB

Post by Mr.BB » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:57 pm

Save more! If you put an extra $25 a month in a total market index fund it would really add up over four years just as a bonus.
If you find the right woman marry her, it's smartest thing I ever did in my life.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."

BTDT

Post by BTDT » Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:57 pm

A link to Bogleheads......actually, given my age, a phone number for Jack Bogle or Taylor Larimore might be more appropriate :oops:
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.

DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:03 pm

Buy AAPL
Funding secured

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:07 pm

comspe09 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:10 pm

Emergency Fund - $20.5K
Questions:
A Roth would pair nicely with a pension in retirement to manage taxes but it does not help with your taxes today. As you get older and potentially partner up and maybe even produce offspring annual income taxes may have more pressure on your lifestyle. What might make the most sense is to see what your income and deductions from your 2017 filing would look like in 2018 and then decide, you might find that a traditional IRA is a better deal or Roth. Since your TSP seems to have accounts that you like and decent ER, then you could keep it all in one place for simplicity
I would not worry about VG right now, seeing everything together is probably more valuable at this point. When your accounts are bigger or if you change jobs, then you can revisit.
First thing that you have said that does not make sense to me. I have a background in this topic and think you will be much better off letting your money run in TSP and spending leisurely weekends paying for someone else's condo. I would have a lot more money if I learned that at 27 instead of purchasing Hawaii property.
Yes, a balanced fund probably makes more sense than 100% equities

Thanks a ton!!!!!
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

selters

Post by selters » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:15 pm

Don't buy too much car. Go for reasonably safe and reliable cars at low prices. If you really want to drive a nice car every now and then, rent one for a few days. The serotonin rush will peter out pretty quickly.

Only buy homes you want to live in for at least five years. Preferably more than that, too. Transactions costs will skin you alive if you buy/sell/move often.

"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections, or trying to anticipate corrections, than has been lost in corrections themselves.” – Peter Lynch. Don't hold excess cash in anticipation of market crashes in the hope that you can "buy stocks on the dip". At least not if your savings/investments are low compared to your expected future savings. If you have $20,000 and you expect to contribute $20,000 annually over the next 20-40 years, don't bother with bonds until you come closer to $50,000 or $100,000.

At today's valuations I'm not so sure about that any more, but I guess that you're fine with 100% stocks for now either way.

nodenuff2

Post by nodenuff2 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:33 pm

Dont mess with commodity trading.
2014 No. 42 2015 No.342 2016 No. 6 2017 238 what do I know? "Good bless America land that I love..."

Dynasty90

Post by Dynasty90 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:37 pm

I turn 28 in less than a month. I enjoy threads like these. Many thanks to all for posting.

srt7

Post by srt7 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:38 pm

First of all, Congratulations on being in great financial shape and yet being humble enough to ask for advice. You're wise beyond your years.

Lots of good advice has already been given so I won't repeat. One that comes to mind is ... Develop a hobby that could become a side hustle later on. This will not only help you have a life and social network beyond work but also expand your skills set.
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:45 pm

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Dyloot wrote:
BlueRidgePro wrote:
Don't marry her.
+1
+2
- 3 and I raise you. Marrying her was the best decision I have made. Actually I am very lucky she was willing to marry me after everything I put her through. Prenuptial etc.

Wildebeest.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:45 pm

Some random experiences/life lessons:

Not in order of importance -

1. Buy a modest whole life policy and keep it forever.

2. Lawyers can destroy you - be wary of getting sued.

3. Know and fully understand "joint and several" in contracts, obligations, etc.

4. While "love" is probably the most important factor for marriage, consider the employability, education, benefits, job stability, retirement benefits, and financial aspects of your to be spouse.

5. if you have a discounted employer stock purchase plan - participate fully - but, as soon as possible/practical sell half and keep half. The half you keep - just put it aside and do NOT count in asset allocation or plans.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:48 pm

tesuzuki2002 wrote:
Dyloot wrote:
BlueRidgePro wrote:
Don't marry her.
+1
+2
Who is her?

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:51 pm

I would have a taxable brokerage account much earlier. I would open the Roth ira much earlier.

I would concentrate on social life much more - introvert and homebody here.
Last edited by Dottie57 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PhilosophyAndrew

Post by PhilosophyAndrew » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:04 pm

(1) Don’t lie to yourself (or to others!) about how much you are spending;

(2) Learn to find joy in saving;

(3) Focus on simplicity and consistency In investing strategy;

(4) Don’t fetishize hustling for work and income — learn to limit work in order to maximize the value of non-work relationships and experiences; and

(5) Keep reading and learning. Strive for lifelong intellectual growth.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:14 pm

For marriage, try to find an "independent" match maker or similar advisor.

nclion

Post by nclion » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:07 pm

At 27 I would recommend that all your TSP contributions be Roth, the tax free compounded growth over the years will be much more valuable than saving taxes on your current income. RMDs won't even be an issue if most of your nest egg is Roth TSP.

bigred77

Post by bigred77 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:19 pm

I would have told myself to stop drinking so much and cleanup my diet and exercise habits.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:28 pm

On March 9th, 2009, a terrible bear market will end. You want to accomplish as much stock exposure as you possibly can that day. Gather as much money as you can, beg and borrow some more, and send it all to Interactive Brokers in a portfolio margin account. Buy and roll S&P 500 emini futures, with the aim to gain at least 7x exposure to the market. You aren't going to need your job anymore, but you can keep it if you want.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:28 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:14 pm
For marriage, try to find an "independent" match maker or similar advisor.
Fee only or AUM? :happy

flybynite

Post by flybynite » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:35 pm

dm200 wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:45 pm

5. if you have a discounted employer stock purchase plan - participate fully - but, as soon as possible/practical sell half and keep half. The half you keep - just put it aside and do NOT count in asset allocation or plans.
+1 to maxing out ESPP, but sell it all right after every buy and it's the highest savings rate you're likely to ever see. Then reinvest it in an index fund... Be keeping half you can easily erode the discount in short order while holding extra money in the company that already provides your pay check all with the hopes of it going either much higher or waiting a year out for it to be a long term capital gain. Not worth it...

3funder

Post by 3funder » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:59 pm

Be a little nicer to people.

Voltron

Post by Voltron » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:05 pm

Dyloot wrote:
BlueRidgePro wrote:
Don't marry her.
+1
I should have married her.

WanderingDoc

Post by WanderingDoc » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:25 pm

Buy more real estate, even at retail or you think its 'overpriced'.

Be nicer to people.

Care even less what others think.
Don't wait to buy real estate. Buy real estate, and wait. | Rent where you live, buy where others pay your mortgage for you.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:42 pm

Go to med school.
j :D

djd1950

Post by djd1950 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:58 pm

Don't sell that house, even though you paid $16,900 and can sell if for $27,000. In forty years it will sell for $400,000.