Tips for part time grad school?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bwlonge

Tips for part time grad school?

Post by Bwlonge »

I recently decided to attend online grad school part time. Should take me 2 years to complete. Any do this? Just looking for any tips people have, things that helped them. So far I've just been dedicating my weekends to it, and its been OK. I'm trying to shift my sleep schedule so I wake up a couple hours before work to get reading or gym in, because I'm normally tapped by the end of the day.

I dunno, I know its not going to just magically happen, but just seeing if there are any "hacks" or little things that can help.
runner3081

Re: Tips for part time grad school?

Post by runner3081 »

I completed my MBA while working full time (50 hours/week) and did so on an accelerated 11-month timeline (doubled up course load).

The key for me was to get into a routine.

Weekdays
-Reading/homework during lunch
-Evenings - First 2 hours after work spent posting/writing
*I did not do school work in the AM, this was my dedicated running time.

-Weekends
-Up at 5am (both Sat and Sun), writing and reading until 3-4pm and then relax.

Other notes:
-Go with 1) used books 2) Rent books 3) Buy the previous edition. I probably saved at least $1k by doing this.

If at all possible, work ahead! This allows life to happen. I knew too many people who were having to take days off work to complete papers. By staying ahead, I was able to manage when things came up that required my attention.

It did help that my wife was completing her undergrad work at the same time and we had no kids. We didn't see a lot of each other for a period of time.

Last, but not least, find a grammar pro and send them everything to proofread. My step-mom has a master's in English. Having her proofread my papers was absolutely invaluable.

It was pretty painful to do it that quickly. At one point I was so worn down that I ended up getting pneumonia.

Overall though, it has been well worth it and I would be capped out (career ladder wise) in my company had I not received the degree.
Topic Author
Bwlonge

Post by Bwlonge »

That's good advice to hear, and good job! That sounds intense.
Liberty1100

Post by Liberty1100 »

I've been doing a part-time engineering Masters for 1-1/2 years now. I'm just about done, thankfully.

I have found that getting a PDF or ebook of the text is helpful. I can quickly control+F to find keywords and topics when needed.

I try to review notes and watch lectures during the week after work and then complete the HW or projects on the weekends.