Your favorite beach vacation destination?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ugaDAWGS09

Your favorite beach vacation destination?

Post by ugaDAWGS09 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:50 pm

My wife and I love St. John and have been going the past 5 years, however we may change it up this year due to the hurricane damage. What's your favorite beach destination? I'm looking for some new ideas for a July vacation. I've never tried an all-inclusive so not sure if that's an option we would enjoy.

2comma

Re: Your favorite beach vacation destination?

Post by 2comma » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:13 pm

They could really use your business but I assume you've checked conditions on St John and they just aren't ready yet. We've been chartering sailboats out of St Thomas and the BVI for years and we are planning on going again this year to help out with our tourist dollars. I know that most of the charter outfits and many of the restaurants have reopened in the BVI.

I hear that Anagada had much less damage and is pretty much back in business. Plenty of nice beaches, beach bars and restaurants on island.
If I am stupid I will pay.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:16 pm

If you're thinking US, Topsail Beach NC (just north of Wilmington) is one of our favorites.

If you're looking for seclusion, just white sand, not fancy restaurants, no cars, etc. just profound peace and tranquility on some of the best beaches on the East Coast, try Fire Island just off Suffolk County Long Island NY. Ferry from Bayshore, try Robin's Rest just a half mile or so west of Ocean Beach.

See: https://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/u ... ins-rest

Full disclosure, my grandparents had a beach house here and I stayed as a kid - some of my most cherished memories from this quiet, peaceful place.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

NYC_Guy

Post by NYC_Guy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:23 pm

Seychelles

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:38 pm

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:50 pm
My wife and I love St. John and have been going the past 5 years, however we may change it up this year due to the hurricane damage. What's your favorite beach destination? I'm looking for some new ideas for a July vacation. I've never tried an all-inclusive so not sure if that's an option we would enjoy.
If you are still wanting the Caribbean, we loved the water (classic turquoise, crystal clear) on Barbados, but for beauty overall, St. Lucia.

These are far enough south that they escaped the recent weather devils, and apparently usually do.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

srt7

Post by srt7 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:01 am

Pensacola, FL
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

Garco

Post by Garco » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:05 am

Our favorite summer vacation destination is the coast of Maine. Usually in the general vicinity of Mt. Desert Island (Bar Harbor etc.), usually in Hancock County. We rent a house for 2-3 weeks, and our (grown) kids come up there, too. My wife has been a Maine person her entire life; I first went to Maine on our honeymoon and since then we've missed only a couple of years of Maine summers. Clams, oysters, lobster, hiking, walking, boating.

We usually to to Maine in July or August.

HJG0989

Post by HJG0989 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:31 am

We've been wintering in Australia the last two years. The exchange rate this year gives us a 25% discount. The beaches, cities, people and weather are wonderful. And the animal life is incredible. I'm not really into birding, but the colors and sounds of the birds are something to behold.

I don't think you can go wrong with any costal community there. We leave tomorrow for two months on the east coast. The first month will be an apartment rental in Byron Bay. We are splitting the rent with a woman we met last year on a tour of Tasmania. After that we will spend a month making our way to Cairns. From there we fly to Sydney then embark on a 40 day cruise to Vancouver, B.C.

I really like AU, once you get past the long flight it is awesome.

HJG0989

Post by HJG0989 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:33 am

Oops, sorry I just saw you recommendations for July. I would still recommend Australia, but I haven't been there myself then. Probably still warmer than Maine :D

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:00 am

In Australia right now and the 20 percent discount makes the trip certainly more affordable. Excellent beaches, food and people!!

YMMV!

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:21 am

Our entire state of HI has all the beaches you could wish for!

TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:29 am

Prince Edward Island located in Canada is our most favorite beach destination, check out this beach video

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-ed ... -1.3668417

Red sand beaches, green lush potato fields, fantastic fresh seafood...lobster, muscles, oysters, warm water (compared to Maine) from the Gulf Stream, great live music, no crowds, friendly locals, great place to bike or just take long walks, and low Canadian dollar makes it a great place. We have been to all 50 states and 8 of the 13 Canadian Provinces but still find time to get back to PEI we love it. It takes us 2 days to drive to PEI, we are 90 minutes from the New Jersey and Delaware beaches but prefer PEI.
Last edited by TLC1957 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:33 am

Not necessarily in this order but,
Hatteras, NC
Siesta Key, Fl.
St Augustine Beach,Fl,
Destin, Fl.

:)
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:32 am

Another US beach, Kiawah Island, SC near Charleston. Beautiful beaches, golf, upscale, and if you get bored, checkout downtown Charleston.

f35phixer

Post by f35phixer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:03 am

Jekyll Island Ga....

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:35 am

Brewster, MA (cape cod)
Topsail, NC
Had fun in St Lucia too.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:48 am

Ithaka, Greece

Also can't go wrong with anywhere/any island in Hawaii.

tigerdoc93

Post by tigerdoc93 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:06 am

Destin, FL. My wife and I look forward to vacationing in Destin every year. Great beaches! Also lots of super seafood restaurants.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:04 am

carolinaman wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:32 am
Another US beach, Kiawah Island, SC near Charleston. Beautiful beaches, golf, upscale, and if you get bored, checkout downtown Charleston.
Good to hear as we are going there with a few friends in the summer. Any recs on food?

Good luck.

p.s. Been to Charleston already. Trying to convince my wife to retiring part time down there in 20 years. Just love it there.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:06 am

Eagle Beach, Aruba in October.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Smart ≠ Rich. Rich ≠ Smart. Some are predisposed to consistently lose money. Don't be a sheep.

JimmyD

Post by JimmyD » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:29 am

We love:

Siesta Key / Longboat Key / Anna Maria Island, FL
Playa del Carmen / Tulum, MX

Radjob4me

Post by Radjob4me » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:37 pm

Quite a collection of places! I would have to second anywhere in Hawaii for combination of scenery, activities, water/beaches, weather. We particularly liked Maui. We can't wait to get back and explore the Big Island and Kauai.

But clearly the range of choices depends on your favorite activities. Coastal Maine and Cape Cod are fun in the summer - but not if lots of swimming is your thing (well, perhaps along the Buzzards Bay side of the Cape) as the water in the Atlantic can be very cold even in summer. Two years ago we went to the National Seashore on the Cape in August and the water temp was 52! Maine is even worse. Not that you can't do water activities, but it is not like the Caribbean for sure.

As far as an all inclusive, they are great if you just want to sit and relax ans do nothing and not worry about cash. We have found them particularly great with pre-teen and teenage kids so we don;t have to fight over drinks, activities, etc...

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:43 pm

I have to say Hawaii. For years, I’ve been avoiding Oahu, that’s after spending a few days in Waikiki almost 30 years ago, on our honeymoon. Now we are back for the second time, thanks to my second child, I love the beaches here, Kalua beach and Hanauma Bay, are two of my favorite places now.

MDfan

Post by MDfan » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:46 pm

Kiawah Island, SC. Beautiful and secluded. Great golf. And only 30 minutes to Charleston, one of my favorite U.S. cities.

Oops, sorry missed the post above about Kiawah. I second it!

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:48 pm

My favorite beach? Montana de Oro.
It's not really a touristy location. Please don't go there.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:08 pm

staythecourse wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:04 am
carolinaman wrote:
Good to hear as we are going there with a few friends in the summer. Any recs on food?

Good luck.

p.s. Been to Charleston already. Trying to convince my wife to retiring part time down there in 20 years. Just love it there.
If you're in Charleston, check out Justine's Kitchen on Meeting St, just across from the old firehouse ( http://jestineskitchen.com/ real southern cooking and the desserts are incredible. We lived there almost a decade and that was one of our favorite restaurants.

As far as beaches near Charleston, there are multiple rivers flowing into the ocean (e.g. Cooper and Ashley) so the water along the coast there is murky. If you go up to NC, e.g. Topsail, Hatteras, etc. the water is much clearer.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:30 pm

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
We love St. John too. I plan on having a home on St. John where we can split the year after I slow down on work later in life. It's possibly my favorite place on earth. We go every year and plan on going back this year because they need our tourist dollars now more than ever.

Soaker

Post by Soaker » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:45 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:48 pm
Also, July tends to be peak fog season for California beaches north of Point Conception. It's pretty easy to go a full week without seeing the sun right at the beach. Go a couple miles inland and the weather is gorgeous.

rg422

Post by rg422 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:54 pm

JoMoney wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:48 pm
Small world!! :beer

I was about to say that and Moonstone beach.

Adam11

Post by Adam11 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:00 pm

ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
St Thomas, and specifically Sapphire Beach which is just across Redhook/Cruz Bay from St John. I just visited in between Christmas & New Years and had a great time catching up on some much needed R&R. There were a few structures/landscapes with catastrophic hurricane damage, but the roads were clear and the islands were definitely open for business. The locals would definitely appreciate your USDs a little more than most.

andypanda

Post by andypanda » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:13 pm

Don't come to Ocracoke Island NC in July, it's so crowded. Every year when we go it's crowded. Don't come. Terrible place to try and relax. And you're probably going to get run over by a golf cart or bicycle on the main road. And look out for the wild ponies. :)

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:17 pm

Toons wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:33 am
Hatteras, NC
Siesta Key, Fl.
St Augustine Beach,Fl,
Destin, Fl.

My top 3:
St Augustine Beach,Fl,
Destin, Fl.
Marco Island

Lauretta

Post by Lauretta » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:18 pm

Portofino and Le cinque terre
When everyone is thinking the same, no one is thinking at all

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:36 pm

Blueskies123 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:17 pm
Toons wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:33 am
Hatteras, NC
Siesta Key, Fl.
St Augustine Beach,Fl,
Destin, Fl.

My top 3:
St Augustine Beach,Fl,
Destin, Fl.
Marco Island

Ah yes Marco ,,,,indeed :sharebeer
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Post by 2015 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:03 pm

Adam11 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:00 pm
ugaDAWGS09 wrote:
St Thomas, and specifically Sapphire Beach which is just across Redhook/Cruz Bay from St John. I just visited in between Christmas & New Years and had a great time catching up on some much needed R&R. There were a few structures/landscapes with catastrophic hurricane damage, but the roads were clear and the islands were definitely open for business. The locals would definitely appreciate your USDs a little more than most.
Visited St. Thomas and St. John many years ago but remember it like it was yesterday. Every day we would take a cab and spend the day at a different beach. All beaches were gorgeous, and I remember Sapphire Beach.

ellsbebc

Post by ellsbebc » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:22 pm

+4 to Kiawah Island. Vacationed here for the past decade. My in-laws discovered this jewel back in the early 90's. It is no longer a hidden treasure so we usually go the week of Memorial or Labor Day to avoid the big crowds.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:27 pm

Cancun, Mexico. Three-hour flight from my home in TX. It has beautiful water and beach, and is extremely inexpensive.

TravelforFun

seersucker

Post by seersucker » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:30 pm

Sea Island

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:01 pm

Sandals South Coast, Jamaica
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

metacritic

Post by metacritic » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:40 pm

We really like St. John and had travelled multiple times to a now-destroyed eco lodge in St. John.

My favorite islands/beach destinations are:

1. Kauai and the big island
2. Zanzibar
3. Gili Air
4. Tulum
5. St. John

MP123

Post by MP123 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:45 pm

Hawaii has many charms but the beaches tend to be small and rocky Waikiki excepted.

For pure beachyness I'd say siesta key and gulf coast Florida.

It really depends on what you want from your vacation though. What are you doing when you're not at the beach? Kids along? Culture important? Food/drinks? Third world squalor OK? Will you ever leave the property? And so on...

I'd stay away from all inclusives, they have no incentive to treat you well.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:56 pm

Koh lanta, Thailand
Anini beach, Kauai

justcruisin

Post by justcruisin » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:04 am

Anguilla - beautiful soft powdery sand, clear water. Very quiet - stayed at Malliouhana...can walk over to 4S.

Bora Bora - not necessarily the best beach, but for those that aren't strong swimmers, water is shallow, clear, warm, beautiful.

Maldives - similar to Anguilla with a higher price point...

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:56 am

Brazil has thousands of amazing beaches, fabulous people and cheap food and drink -

Itacoatiara and Abrico near Rio de Janeiro
Azedinha in Buzios (a small peninsula with 23 beaches)
Fernando Noronha Island

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:31 am

staythecourse wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:04 am
carolinaman wrote:

Good luck.

The restaurants at the Sanctuary Hotel are really good and expensive. I am not familiar with other restaurants on island. You are only 20 miles from downtown Charleston and there are many good restaurants there. If you are familiar with Charleston, you probably know some. One of our favorites is Magnolias on East Bay St. Also Fleet Landing on Concord St., which has nice view of the harbor.

abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:59 am

Nantucket would be my preferred July beach destination, if costs were no object.

MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:09 am

The only beach vacation I truly enjoyed was in Fiji. It was magical. There was no one else around a lot of the time and you could have an entire beach to yourself. Extraordinarily relaxing. Also, beautiful. Every other beach vacation location just had too many people around for us to feel like we were enjoying the beach.

ETadvisor

Post by ETadvisor » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:23 am

Florida Keys - Atlantic and Gulf - Take your pick

Marco Island

Ft. Lauderdale Beach

Delray Beach

:D

markes

Post by markes » Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:29 am

St John USVI my all time favorite. But just got back from St Kitts-Nevis. Thoroughly enjoyed South Frigate and South Friar beaches on St Kitts and Oualie beach on Nevis. Dark to medium dark sand beaches, but great for swimming and all providing breathtaking views.

goflyers13

Post by goflyers13 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:06 am

Playa Hermosa in Costa Rica is the most beautiful beach I've ever visited. The water was warm, the sunsets over the Pacific were stunning, and the scenery was gorgeous. Most east-coast beaches look totally boring in comparison. My family and I flew from Columbus, OH to Liberia (the Costa Rican city, not the country) for $350/ticket round trip in summer 2016. The beach isn't more than a 30-minute drive from the airport. We stayed in a no-frills Airbnb house right on the beach for $115/night. There were also plenty of nicer options for those willing to pay a bit more. As an added bonus, there's a lush, beautiful rainforest/volcano only a couple hours away. We split our time between the rainforest and the beach, and it was one of the two best vacations I've ever taken.