How does everyone keep track of your portfolio?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
pennstater2005

Re: How does everyone keep track of your portfolio?

Post by pennstater2005 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:22 pm

I happen to have everything through Vanguard, except my 401k, so it’s easy to track. And my 401k just started last year so it’s a bit small :D
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:50 pm

BuckyBadger wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:03 pm
This itsy bitsy google doc is all I need:

I don't TLH, so no other fancy knowledge required. Fill it out monthly. Re-balance in my 403b as necessary.

I'm a simple girl.
OMGoodness, thank you for this! I cannot tell you just how complicated all my spreadsheets are -- this is a huge time saver!

I heart simple!

RustyShackleford

Post by RustyShackleford » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:02 pm

Newone88 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:13 pm
I created an excel spreadsheet with all of my fund/portfolio information.
That's exactly what I did.
The main problem is I manually entered in all the info. I logged into Fidelity, typed out all the info into excel and then moved onto the next account (Vanguard, then Schwab etc). So now I have to manually update the amounts and prices.

Or is there a way to make this easier, or even automated?
Create a portfolio at yahoo-finance with ticker symbols for all your holdings (and only those). Create a second "sheet" in your Excel spreadsheet, where you copy&paste the tickers and current prices after you download them from yahoo. In your main sheet, in the line for each holding, you'll have manually inserted the number of shares; in the next column over, use the Excel VLOOKUP function to grab the price for that ticker and then multiply it by the number of shares.

So all you have to do to update your spreadsheet is to refresh the yahoo-finance page, export the values, and copy&paste it into your spreadsheet. You still have to manually update when the number of shares changes and when the amount of cash changed, and the prices for things like CDs and inidividual bonds. I'm sure there are more automated ways to do it, but I don't mind this little extra work.

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:08 pm

TwstdSista wrote:
Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:50 pm
BuckyBadger wrote:

I don't TLH, so no other fancy knowledge required. Fill it out monthly. Re-balance in my 403b as necessary.

I'm a simple girl.
OMGoodness, thank you for this! I cannot tell you just how complicated all my spreadsheets are -- this is a huge time saver!

I heart simple!
Glad you like it! It ticks all my boxes and takes about 5 minutes to update once a month. Haven't seen a need to change it in about 7 years!

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:08 pm

munemaker wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:05 pm
As far as I know,"everyone" is not keeping track of my portfolio; I hope I am the only one.
I agree, I certainly hope that everyone is not keeping track of my portfolio.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:11 pm

KATNYC wrote:
Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:36 pm
We tried to use personal capital but it's an exercise in frustration since our 401K has no tickers.
Some of the funds have thousands of holdings so trying to add tickers to personal capital for a representative sampling became a chore. Small/Mid cap shows as cash and there is no option to change it. We gave up. Plus, it was annoying when they kept calling.

We just use an Excel Spreadsheet.
I had the same problem with lack of ticker symbols, so I just found appropriate proxies. I pick a date and adjust the number of holdings so the amounts are the same. There is a small tracking error and fee difference, but works reasonably well, and I only have to occasionally correct it. For Scholarshare it's TIEIX.

Similarly, if I want an intraday quote for a mutual fund that only trades at the end of the day or before they update it, I'll use the same technique with the ETF to estimate the midday or closing price. VTI for VTSMX.

Just remember, it's just an estimate, but adequate.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:24 pm

I use the good ol' spreadsheet. One spreadsheet with many tabs all linked together to give me the picture I want.

TravelforFun

Clumsum

Post by Clumsum » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:38 am

Vanguard does it for me.

columbia

Post by columbia » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:15 pm

I like Personal Capital, but is there a similar app which doesn’t lump REITs into “alternatives?”

jasg

Post by jasg » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:53 pm

I used to use Google Sheets to track our 5 retirement funds but recently it seems to be a bit flakey, so I have switched to a simple Numbers spreadsheet on my iPad. Three columns for Symbol, Shares and Balance.

Numbers turned out to be simpler than Sheets and updates at 6PM EST if you need very current numbers.

Local to my iPad, so no exposure to outside sites at all.

harmony

Post by harmony » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:15 pm

sschullo wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:19 pm
I have been using M* portfolio feature since 1994. All you have to do is create a free account, insert ticker and number of shares, and what you paid (not necessary but interesting). Has gazillion statistics, updates after the close of markets every day and is totally free.
You can download the portfolio at any time on your Excel program all intact for your records and with the different views you can also download the related statistics.
With your "free" Morningstar account, do you get a lot of extra financial SPAM emails? I have often wondered how free M* works.
Do you just enter the current number of shares you hold, or do you have to note every share you rebalanced into or out of the fund. If the former, it seems very simple. If the latter, it seems like it would be very tedious. Thank you for your further comments.

EvelynTroy

Post by EvelynTroy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:57 am

Harmony,
To get a feel for what M* portfolio mgr. looks like and how to put it to use -
https://www.doughroller.net/investing/m ... o-manager/

I've never gotten spam, or ads related to M* by using the free portfolio mgr.
I use the M* portfolio mgr. along with this spreadsheet for rebalancing - also from the above website -
https://www.doughroller.net/investing/a ... readsheet/ - you can view the spreadsheet and not have to download anything if interested.

Evelyn

nashirak

Post by nashirak » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:10 am

Quicken primarily tracks all of our finances (including investments/retirement accounts).

I also have a M* portfolio which is pretty handy. I also like the X-ray feature for breaking down the holdings. And I have never gotten spam/email from them. The only email I’ve gotten is a daily email with portfolio updates (plain text with no ads/pictures/etc)

sco

Post by sco » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:28 pm

BuckyBadger wrote:

I'm a simple girl.

The only thing extra mine has, is a field that converts the % from the goal into a dollar amount.

Ron

Post by Ron » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:33 pm

Nobody but me keeps track of my portfolio :twisted: ...

- Ron

harmony

Post by harmony » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:02 pm

How does the “Outside Investments” feature, available with a Vanguard Account, compare with Morningstar free portfolio tracker in terms of breadth of features and ease of use, for anyone with experience with both? Thanks again for sharing your knowledge.

BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:03 pm

sco wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:28 pm
BuckyBadger wrote:

I'm a simple girl.

The only thing extra mine has, is a field that converts the % from the goal into a dollar amount.
That's a good idea and i might add that! My balances are getting big enough that redirecting contributions don't quite cut it, and i have to do a little math to figure out how much to transfer from stock to bonds when i rebalance next month as i think I'll have to...

TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:52 am

^ I added this too, perfect! Shows me exactly how much needs to go where for rebalancing! Ty!

harmony

Post by harmony » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:03 pm

I thought I would try to answer my own question, so I loaded everything into the Vanguard Account tool. I had to start over a couple of times because I had forgotten to include some smaller accounts. It was very helpful that VG remembered the number of shares so that if I got the first digit of the number right, it would populate the rest of the number on the second or third time. And VG was being more patient than usual it seemed. I have some outside assets which I had to enter manually because they aren’t in the VG list. Finally when I had the last share number for the last account entered and just as I was about to hit the “Submit” button, Vanguard announced my session had expired. Everything I had entered was gone when I logged in again. Totally frustrating. I may check out Morningstar, or maybe not. My own spreadsheet might work better than either of these, and without annoying timeouts.

sco

Post by sco » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:14 pm

This is how these things get out of hand.

Just added Weighed Average Expense ratio for the total portfolio.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:39 pm

I use a worksheet (Excel) for each year that has all assets, funds, accounts, etc. and calculate AA, overall expense ratio, summary by taxable/tax advantaged, etc. I also have a separate summary worksheet that I pull each years summary data and have a running total year to year along with a summary of expenses and several calculations that look forward, e.g. what my portfolio would look like a different withdrawal rates, change in asset allocation by year, some estimates of future year projects based on continuing contributions, etc. I do this manually every month or two and find it helpful to see how things are changing. I tried Quicken, but it just can't do what I want like Excel so abandoned it. One other thing I have is a separate sheet for projected retirement spending, SS, pension estimates, effects of RMD at 70+, etc. That gives me a look ahead for projected expenses vs income at different points where I can retire. I'm in late accumulation phase so having this worksheet is a good way for me to know when it's time to retire and what are the consequences a year or two extra (OMY) may have on overall lifestyle and portfolio.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

clark613

Post by clark613 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:20 pm

BuckyBadger wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:03 pm
sco wrote:
Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:28 pm
BuckyBadger wrote:

I'm a simple girl.

That's a good idea and i might add that! My balances are getting big enough that redirecting contributions don't quite cut it, and i have to do a little math to figure out how much to transfer from stock to bonds when i rebalance next month as i think I'll have to...
How do I go about creating an excel spread sheet like this?! I haven't used excel in 10+years!