Laughter is the Best Medicine - What makes you Laugh?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
trueson1

Re: Laughter is the Best Medicine - What makes you Laugh?

Post by trueson1 »

People - just watching people screwing up. They are hilarious (most of the time). Because I have done most of the stuff they are doing. But it is much funnier seeing them doing it.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Toons wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:57 pm Dancing In front of the mirror,,,
Looking at my wifes face behind me.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:beer
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Here's the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread: a great satire on the high cost of funerals with flawless timing from the great Mike Nichols and Elaine May (appearing on the old Jack Paar show).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLkuNnnp89g
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Anything "Far Side" by Gary Larson
Surrea or Silly to calm the mind and spirit:
IE: Mel Brooks "Young Frankenstein".
Family Guy, Big Bang Theory
Improv: IE: "Who's Line Is It Anyway."
Situational:IE: Seinfeld "Write Off"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEL65gywwHQ

Oldies humor, From the days of Black n White TV.

Our "19 hand" (huge) dressage horse acting like a puppy.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

As others: Rowan Atkinson.

And Billy Connolly. His older stuff rather than the newer.
cbr shadow

Post by cbr shadow »

Laughter is such an interesting thing to me. Why is it that a certain situation or a series of sentences can generate such a reaction from within us? Why do these situations make us vibrate all over, smile, make loud noises, etc? What's especially interesting to me is that we all have a somewhat unique "sense of humor", meaning what makes me laugh you might find boring or even annoying. I imagine that has to do with our unique backgrounds and experiences - we can relate to some level of irony in a situation/joke?

I have a friend who is especially funny to me. Most everything he says makes me laugh. In my opinion he is extremely clever and has just the right about of sarcasm to consistently crack me up. For some reason I think he's hilarious but my wife and some friends don't.

Another example: Somewhere in this thread someone said NPR's "wait wait dont tell me" program makes them laugh out loud, but for whatever reason I don't find it funny at all. I really crack up when I hear someone (in a real life situation) quote the movie "Dumb and Dumber", but I can totally understand how some people would find that movie annoying.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

randomizer wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:48 pm What's laughter?
It's one of the things you re-discover after you retire.
:beer
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

cbr shadow wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:28 pm Laughter is such an interesting thing to me. Why is it that a certain situation or a series of sentences can generate such a reaction from within us? Why do these situations make us vibrate all over, smile, make loud noises, etc? What's especially interesting to me is that we all have a somewhat unique "sense of humor", meaning what makes me laugh you might find boring or even annoying. I imagine that has to do with our unique backgrounds and experiences - we can relate to some level of irony in a situation/joke?

I have a friend who is especially funny to me. Most everything he says makes me laugh. In my opinion he is extremely clever and has just the right about of sarcasm to consistently crack me up. For some reason I think he's hilarious but my wife and some friends don't.

Another example: Somewhere in this thread someone said NPR's "wait wait dont tell me" program makes them laugh out loud, but for whatever reason I don't find it funny at all. I really crack up when I hear someone (in a real life situation) quote the movie "Dumb and Dumber", but I can totally understand how some people would find that movie annoying.
Fascinating point. Thanks.

Maybe depends on how one is "rooted", whether intellectual, cultural, extroverted, introverted, diverse, simple, highly educated or vs vs, and what frame of reference one has to the source of humor.
To some, "Dumb and Dumber" is refreshing and funny, to others, idiotic and not funny. Same thing with "The Three Stooges" or "Jerry Lewis" slap stick vs more intellectual banter operating at many levels at once. And so forth.

My kids like "Dumb and Dumber" because they get to be condescending perhaps. Adults can mess up.
DW likes "Who's Line Is It Anyway" for the slapstick, I like it for the play on words and twists on syntax.
I like "Far Side" and satire, intellectual off the wall things. Things that bend the brain. An acquired taste.

When we try to be funny, sometimes we are and sometimes we put a big foot in our mouth and make a fool out of ourselves and sulk away. So I suspect that most of us have no desire to try to be funny except in "safe" situations. Leave the humor to the professionals perhaps.
j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

The Garrison Keillor joke show CD's. They are short, sometimes cheesy, basically clean and include familiar structure like the chicken crossing the road, knock-knock, "Polish jokes (Though he uses various cultural identities)," etc. They provided hours of laughter following a serious surgery in the past.

Tim
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

Earl & Opal: http://www.gocomics.com/pickles

I find that as we age, my wife/me seem to have the same challenges these two do (and are starting to look like them :oops: ).

- Ron
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

mouses wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:36 pm Carol Burnett's Gone with the Wind. Those draperies....
If you're ever in DC, drop in to the American History Museum. Last time I was there, they had that outfit on display.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

Traveller wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:14 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:49 pm
oldcomputerguy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:11 pm
pennstater2005 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:00 pm Ray and Tom Magliozzi from Car Talk. Their laughter is infectious!
Yeah. They always came on the air right before Wait Wait. So sad when Tom died and they shut down production.

One of my favorite callers had a complaint where his vehicle started up with no problem, initially had a lot of power, but ran real rough for the first couple of minutes, then smoothed out for four or five minutes, at which point the engine just shut down. Turned out that the caller was NASA astronaut John Grunsfeld, and he was calling live from inside the space shuttle in orbit.

I still listen occasionally to one of their “best of” CDs. Priceless.
This is TOO funny!

I'd love to find a recording of this, to listen to how Click and Clack handled the "symptoms" :D

RM
Ask, and you shall receive! :beer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moAqzM4ptm8
I am curious - am I to believe that the Car Talk guys didn't know beforehand that the call was from the Space Shuttle, or that should the audience still laugh though it was a staged event (just like the late night shows)? It is difficult for me to laugh when the laughter is forced like, for instance, Dave Ramsey laughing - have you ever heard Dave Ramsey laugh on the radio?!! :oops:
white_water

Post by white_water »

Old Monty Python reruns!
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

white_water wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:23 pm Old Monty Python reruns!
Men in Tights.. . . . :shock:
prudent

Post by prudent »

Big Bang Theory, 3 Stooges (before Joe as 3rd Stooge), most Marx Brothers movies, Monty Python's Flying Circus (but not so much their movies), Animal House, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein. National Lampoon magazine (1970's-80's) - those magazines were brilliant. I tend to laugh a lot so I'm surely missing many citations.
cbr shadow wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:28 pm Laughter is such an interesting thing to me. Why is it that a certain situation or a series of sentences can generate such a reaction from within us? Why do these situations make us vibrate all over, smile, make loud noises, etc? What's especially interesting to me is that we all have a somewhat unique "sense of humor", meaning what makes me laugh you might find boring or even annoying. I imagine that has to do with our unique backgrounds and experiences - we can relate to some level of irony in a situation/joke?

I have a friend who is especially funny to me. Most everything he says makes me laugh. [snip]
Interesting to me as well. A guy I hung out with in college would laugh at anything I said if it was intended to be humorous. He'd go around telling people I was the funniest person he ever met, why didn't I go try doing stand-up at the comedy club, etc. It got to the point where he twice asked me to go with him on first dates to take the pressure off him, make it more relaxed and get the girl to think it wasn't a "DATE!!!" but just a couple friends going to hang out. My job was to make sure everyone laughed and had fun, then the next time I would be unavailable and it would be just the two of them.

Later on I had a co-worker who had the same effect on me. Some co-workers felt he was a loudmouth, some could take him or leave him, but there were times a group of us would go to lunch and I'd practically be gasping for breath laughing at stuff he said. Seems sometimes one person's sense of humor just resonates with another person to an extreme.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

prudent wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:44 pm Big Bang Theory, 3 Stooges (before Joe as 3rd Stooge), most Marx Brothers movies, Monty Python's Flying Circus (but not so much their movies), Animal House, Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein. National Lampoon magazine (1970's-80's) - those magazines were brilliant. I tend to laugh a lot so I'm surely missing many citations.

I have a friend who is especially funny to me. Most everything he says makes me laugh. [snip]
Interesting to me as well. A guy I hung out with in college would laugh at anything I said if it was intended to be humorous. He'd go around telling people I was the funniest person he ever met, why didn't I go try doing stand-up at the comedy club, etc. It got to the point where he twice asked me to go with him on first dates to take the pressure off him, make it more relaxed and get the girl to think it wasn't a "DATE!!!" but just a couple friends going to hang out. My job was to make sure everyone laughed and had fun, then the next time I would be unavailable and it would be just the two of them.

Later on I had a co-worker who had the same effect on me. Some co-workers felt he was a loudmouth, some could take him or leave him, but there were times a group of us would go to lunch and I'd practically be gasping for breath laughing at stuff he said. Seems sometimes one person's sense of humor just resonates with another person to an extreme.
Big Bang Theory :D
Not only funny, but clever!

... or it used to be...
The newer seasons have slowly lost their touch.
I don't know if the writers have changed, or those who were already/still there sort of lost their touch/ran out of funny ideas/situations?

As for someone being especially funny, sometimes I think certain people just "click" that way.
My (late) best friend and I could sit up all night rolling over in laughter, with each next thing said even funnier...
And then another friend who already "clicked" in a similar way with me joined us one evening.
IF I could just re-create that evening's dialogue....!

I miss that.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
relaxtothemax

Post by relaxtothemax »

My two dogs, rescued bonded brothers, best addition to my life since I retired, they are such a crackup.
Also the movie Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz »

Anyone for British humor???

Chef series - Lenny Henry
Only fools and horses.................etc.
IceNine

Post by IceNine »

"Impractical Jokers" -- It is the only show on tv that literally makes me laugh out loud.
El Greco

Post by El Greco »

The original "Producers" with Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder. Two hours of nonstop laughter. Every line a comedy gem. :D
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Mrxyz wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:54 pm Anyone for British humor???

Chef series - Lenny Henry
Only fools and horses.................etc.
There's something about British humor that gets my funny bone. Of course Fawlty Towers is near the top of the list. A more recent discovery was 'Allo, 'Allo. My most recent discovery is Men Behaving Badly -- an early Martin Clunes show.

The show isn't shy about making fun of Clunes' ears. In one episode someone says passengers in the underground (subway) hold onto his ears to keep from falling down. Clunes is quite tall and that helps with the mental image.

May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:49 pm

Maybe depends on how one is "rooted", whether intellectual, cultural, extroverted, introverted, diverse, simple, highly educated or vs vs, and what frame of reference one has to the source of humor.
To some, "Dumb and Dumber" is refreshing and funny, to others, idiotic and not funny. Same thing with "The Three Stooges" or "Jerry Lewis" slap stick vs more intellectual banter operating at many levels at once. And so forth.
I think you've both covered it, or most of it. As with everything it seems, our senses of humor, as with other emotions, likely get back to the many different ways our individual brains take in and process information and respond to it, apparently based in part on our natures. Whatever, there is much written about it, of course. Google and take your pick.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast »

El Greco wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:50 pm The original "Producers" with Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder. Two hours of nonstop laughter. Every line a comedy gem. :D
They couldn't make "The Producers" (or any other Mel Brooks production) today. Too many people would be offended. The political correctness avalanche obviates my sense of humor. Fortunately, thinking about Marvin the Martian vs. Bugs Bunny brings it back. :D
Illegitimi non carborundum.
woof755

Post by woof755 »

relaxtothemax wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:03 pm My two dogs, rescued bonded brothers, best addition to my life since I retired, they are such a crackup.
Also the movie Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
This movie.
:D

One of the most quotable movies of all time. I totally agree!

OK, while I'm at it:

Bull Durham
Top Secret!, Airplane, etc
Tim Minchin's "Storm" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhGuXCuDb1U
Last edited by woof755 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
Carter3

Post by Carter3 »

Penicillin is actually the best medicine, just ask anyone who has had gonorrhea. They certainly aren't laughing. 8-)
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

What makes me laugh are some of the questions people ask on these forums. As if they cannot make a decision on the simplest of matters.
Otherwise I enjoy the funny observations on Seinfeld. Or Brain Regan. I like political satire, but that is more of a groan sort of funny, because it is both funny and sad.
George Carlin of course.
I make myself laugh also, but that may be that cognitive decline mentioned in anothe thread. Maybe I am closer to a simpleton than a savant.
El Greco

Post by El Greco »

by FreeAtLast » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:33 pm

El Greco wrote: ↑Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:50 pm
The original "Producers" with Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder. Two hours of nonstop laughter. Every line a comedy gem. :D

They couldn't make "The Producers" (or any other Mel Brooks production) today. Too many people would be offended. The political correctness avalanche obviates my sense of humor. Fortunately, thinking about Marvin the Martian vs. Bugs Bunny brings it back. :D
Political correctness be damned. I'm almost retired, so I'll laugh at anything I darn well please. In a couple of years, I won't have any career to ruin anyway. :D
Topic Author
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Fallible wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:24 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:49 pm

I think you've both covered it, or most of it. As with everything it seems, our senses of humor, as with other emotions, likely get back to the many different ways our individual brains take in and process information and respond to it, apparently based in part on our natures. Whatever, there is much written about it, of course. Google and take your pick.

Interesting perspective.... In our immediate family.....DW has a sense of humor but doesn't tell jokes or play practical jokes. Oldest daughter is very much the same. But............myself and youngest daughter.......we love to play practical jokes....always clean, never insulting or rude....but fun. Get lots of laughs. Wife goes along with most of it.....at times though she'll take things a bit serious but realizes it's just fun.

Johnny Carson was funny. Always liked his Carnac acts......funny stuff....even DW was a hugh JC fan........... :D
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:49 pm Maybe depends on how one is ... cultural...
There must be something to that. DH is ethnically Italian but he finds Steven Chow's movies irresistible. I totally so NOT get it.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Faith20879 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:31 am
Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:49 pm Maybe depends on how one is ... cultural...
There must be something to that. DH is ethnically Italian but he finds Steven Chow's movies irresistible. I totally so NOT get it.
Or the TV series "Fresh Of The Boat". . . I laugh so much my stomach hurts.
I do not get. . "Steven Chow". . .
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

When I take improvisation classes, I laugh even more than when I attend comedy shows.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Seinfeld TV show. Timeless.

How badly the big news media outlets want/need a market "crash". Don't they have 401ks too? :wink:

Calvin & Hobbes and The Far Side comics. They never get old.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

bloom2708 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:16 pm Calvin & Hobbes and The Far Side comics. They never get old.
Add to that Cul de Sac. It is about prekindergarten kids. Unfortunately the artist (Richard Thompson) had to quit due to Parkinson's.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

bertilak wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:00 pm
bloom2708 wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:16 pm Calvin & Hobbes and The Far Side comics. They never get old.
Add to that Cul de Sac. It is about prekindergarten kids. Unfortunately the artist (Richard Thompson) had to quit due to Parkinson's.
Bertilak, I can sadly report that Thompson died of Parkinson's complications about two years ago, age 58. The loss, other than to his young family and friends (who,put together a wonderful commemorative book), is the end to development of great characterizations such as Petey and Alice and their friends. The strip had perception, imagination, and depth that comics need more of. "Cul de Sac" reruns continue online and in some newspapers.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

fishandgolf wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:05 pm
"Two guys are walking down the street when a mugger approaches them and demands their money. They both grudgingly pull out their wallets and begin taking out their cash. Just then, one guy turns to the other and hands him a bill. “Here’s that $20 I owe you,” he says". :!:

:? I must be missing something with this one...
For classic one-liners go watch the Marx-Brothers.
Seinfeld and The Office always made me laugh ("I need an emergency contact and number"....."Just put The Hospital and 911")
I also liked the English classics (Fawlty Towers, Monty Python).

Although I disagree on laughter being the Best Medicine.
I find being financial secure and healthy to be "The Best medicine". I also find relaxing past times to be great medicine. Laughter is nice but it doesn't pay the bills and doesn't cause as much stress-reduction in my opinion as a long vacation that includes solitude, hikes through the woods, peacefully observing the ocean, etc.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Fallible wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:13 pm
Bertilak, I can sadly report that Thompson died of Parkinson's complications about two years ago, age 58. The loss, other than to his young family and friends (who,put together a wonderful commemorative book), is the end to development of great characterizations such as Petey and Alice and their friends. The strip had perception, imagination, and depth that comics need more of. "Cul de Sac" reruns continue online and in some newspapers.
That truly is sad. I wasn't aware. I keep up with the online re-runs. I print out the day's cartoon every morning to read along with the paper's cartoon pages. I have one of the early paperback collections. I will look for the memorial book.
wolf359

Post by wolf359 »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:11 pm
pennstater2005 wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:00 pm Ray and Tom Magliozzi from Car Talk. Their laughter is infectious!
Yeah. They always came on the air right before Wait Wait. So sad when Tom died and they shut down production.

One of my favorite callers had a complaint where his vehicle started up with no problem, initially had a lot of power, but ran real rough for the first couple of minutes, then smoothed out for four or five minutes, at which point the engine just shut down. Turned out that the caller was NASA astronaut John Grunsfeld, and he was calling live from inside the space shuttle in orbit.
I remember that one! Grunsfeld apologized for his poor cell connection, and described that he was driving a custom vehicle made by Rockwell. They were totally confused by that.
mancich

Post by mancich »

Good standup comedians. Jim Gaffigan (several specials on Netflix) and Sebastion Maniscalco (also on Netflix) are two of my favorites. Also like Curb Your Enthusiasm. My children make me laugh quite a bit too :beer
juliewongferra

Post by juliewongferra »

MITCH HEDBERG!!!

cheers
jwf
If you aren't familiar with Mr. Bogle and his investment philosophy, then you don't know Jack!
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Rowan and Martin's Laugh In, so many good comedians. Goldie Hawn, Lily Tomlin, etc.I still laugh at the Fred and Fanny Farkle sketches in my memory alone.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-T5hMZRP8w
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
rockonhumblepie

Post by rockonhumblepie »

Colbert Late Show
Big Bang Theory
The Middle
Jon Stewart
Red Skelton
Richard Pryor
Robin Williams
3 Stooges
George Carlin
"Say Goodnight Dick" :happy
happyisland

Post by happyisland »

Mr Show - like an American Monty Python from the 90s.

Also, current standups Jim Gaffigan, Rory Scovel, Chelsea Peretti, etc...
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

Mr bean
Lewis Black
Seinfeld
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
tcassette

Post by tcassette »

Chris K Jones wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:07 pm Old episodes of Fawlty Towers, currently on Netflix. They are more than 30 years old and I have seen them multiple times, but I still laugh out loud .
+1 Best sitcom ever.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

unclear what this thread has to do with personal consumer finanace
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

F150HD wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:20 pm unclear what this thread has to do with personal consumer finanace
because
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

bertilak wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:01 pm
Fallible wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:13 pm
That truly is sad. I wasn't aware. I keep up with the online re-runs. I print out the day's cartoon every morning to read along with the paper's cartoon pages. I have one of the early paperback collections. I will look for the memorial book.
The book I think you'd like is The Art of Richard Thompson, with a bio, his battle with Parkinson's, and interviews by top cartoonists like Bill Watterson (Calvin & Hobbes) and also chapters on Thompson's illustrations and caricatures.
Topic Author
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

DaftInvestor wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:20 pm
For classic one-liners go watch the Marx-Brothers.
Marx-Brothers..........classic group. Reminds me of a great joke from Johnny Carson doing his famous "Carnac". He was talking about the Marx brothers and specifically mention Zeppo Marx....the youngest brother. So...Johnny does his famous...always give the answer first....then rips open the envelop and reads the answer:

:Johnny holds the envelop against his forehead and says............." ZEPPO MARX"

:Johnny reads the answer from the envelop:..........." the marks you get when you get your thing caught in your ZEPPO"
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

My spouse. He's extremely witty. Other than him: "Are You Being Served" and "Golden Girls". "Fawlty Towers", already mentioned. And to illustrate how a sense of humor differs among people, I hate the Mrs Bucket Show (Keeping Up Appearances) with a passion; laughing at someone, not with them.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

littlebird wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:07 pm My spouse. He's extremely witty. Other than him: "Are You Being Served" and "Golden Girls". "Fawlty Towers", already mentioned. And to illustrate how a sense of humor differs among people, I hate the Mrs Bucket Show (Keeping Up Appearances) with a passion; laughing at someone, not with them.
+1 on Are You Being Served. (“Glass of water for Mr. Grainger!”) one of the funniest shows BBC ever did.