Tax forms

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Post Reply
cliff
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:21 pm

Tax forms

Post by cliff » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:33 am

Vanguard notes that tax forms will be available mid-January. Does anyone know exactly when?

Thanks

Rupert
Posts: 3100
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Tax forms

Post by Rupert » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:37 am

1099-DIVs for mutual fund accounts are available now. If you have a brokerage account, it'll be mid-February. I'm still waiting on a foreign tax form, which also doesn't seem to be available yet.

cliff
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:21 pm

Re: Tax forms

Post by cliff » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:38 am

Yes, I just saw they are available. My account says nothing so I will call Vanguard,,,thanks

cliff
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:21 pm

Re: Tax forms

Post by cliff » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:43 am

Got my answer. Didn't realize mutual funds are listed as brokerage if u own any stock..

jebmke
Posts: 7910
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Tax forms

Post by jebmke » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:50 am

cliff wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:43 am
Got my answer. Didn't realize mutual funds are listed as brokerage if u own any stock..
Probably depends on whether fund is held in brokerage account or separate. Most of mine are not in brokerage. But it doesn't really matter much- they will all get reported eventually.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

2015
Posts: 1543
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: Tax forms

Post by 2015 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:34 pm

Rupert wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:37 am
1099-DIVs for mutual fund accounts are available now. If you have a brokerage account, it'll be mid-February. I'm still waiting on a foreign tax form, which also doesn't seem to be available yet.
Received all of mine last week for my MF accounts. Foreign tax paid for VTIAX was on form 1099-DIV (Box 6). Finished taxes in TA last Thursday, and now just waiting for IRS to release form 8606 in order to file. So glad I don't own a brokerage account.

User avatar
mister_sparkle
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Tax forms

Post by mister_sparkle » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:34 pm

I need the individual state % breakdown for a Federally tax-exempt bond fund I own (VWITX) in order to do my taxes and Vanguard has ignored my message to them regarding when this will be published. Que sera sera...

jebmke
Posts: 7910
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Tax forms

Post by jebmke » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:39 pm

mister_sparkle wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:34 pm
I need the individual state % breakdown for a Federally tax-exempt bond fund I own (VWITX) in order to do my taxes and Vanguard has ignored my message to them regarding when this will be published. Que sera sera...
There is usually a table along with the 1099-Div or substitute when that mails.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

User avatar
mister_sparkle
Posts: 223
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:58 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: Tax forms

Post by mister_sparkle » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:52 pm

jebmke wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:39 pm
mister_sparkle wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:34 pm
I need the individual state % breakdown for a Federally tax-exempt bond fund I own (VWITX) in order to do my taxes and Vanguard has ignored my message to them regarding when this will be published. Que sera sera...
There is usually a table along with the 1099-Div or substitute when that mails.
It wasn't attached to the 1099-DIV but I did locate it in the Tax Center here:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/insigh ... ecific-tax

2015
Posts: 1543
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: Tax forms

Post by 2015 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:31 pm

For those of us who took advantage of bank sign up bonuses last year, 1099-INT's should be coming about now. Received one today and expecting two others any day. Since I closed the accounts, I can't get them online.

mouses
Posts: 3297
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re: Tax forms

Post by mouses » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:38 pm

2015 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:31 pm
For those of us who took advantage of bank sign up bonuses last year, 1099-INT's should be coming about now. Received one today and expecting two others any day. Since I closed the accounts, I can't get them online.
Is a credit card bonus taxable? I.e. get a credit card, charge $X dollars in three months, receive Y points worth $100.

2015
Posts: 1543
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: Tax forms

Post by 2015 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:44 pm

mouses wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:38 pm
2015 wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:31 pm
For those of us who took advantage of bank sign up bonuses last year, 1099-INT's should be coming about now. Received one today and expecting two others any day. Since I closed the accounts, I can't get them online.
Is a credit card bonus taxable? I.e. get a credit card, charge $X dollars in three months, receive Y points worth $100.
Not in the example you cite. From Investopedia:
Types of common credit card rewards that are not counted as income include cash-back programs, travel miles bonuses, accumulated points towards future purchases and credit card sign-up bonuses that require a financial transaction to be realized.

If, however, the sign-up bonus for your credit card does not require that you make any purchases or charge any amount to your card, then you are likely to receive a 1099-MISC tax form in the mail in conjunction with the bonus.
https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answer ... me-irs.asp

It's for this reason that this year (as opposed to last year) I'm only concentrating on CC bonuses due to my use of ACA PTC/subsidies.

Post Reply