Passport renewal and usage- what's the scoop?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JD2775

Passport renewal and usage- what's the scoop?

Post by JD2775 »

I have heard conflicting reports on this...

If I renew my American Passport, can I use it immediately to go to Europe once I receive it? Or is there a waiting period?

I think there is a buffer period for some countries on the opposite end. i.e. if I go to certain countries in May, my passport can't expire anywhere between 3-6 months after that.

I am specifically asking about renewal, and how quickly I can use it. Specifically going to a few countries in Europe. I tried to do a search but didn't see anything concrete. Does anyone know?

Thanks!
ivk5

Re: Passport renewal and usage- what's the scoop?

Post by ivk5 »

Once you have it in hand, no waiting period to use it. It's valid immediately.
patrick

Post by patrick »

The 3 months until expiration is presumably to make sure that your passport won't expire while you are in the foreign country, which won't apply to a new passport. I used both of my passports less than a month after the issue dates with no problems. Note however that it may take a while after applying (including a renewal application) before you actually receive the passport.
celia

Post by celia »

A renewal is basically a new passport. You can use it immediately. If you still have time left on the old passport, basically you lose it since the ten year clock starts over on the new passport.

If you send in the old passport when renewing, it appears that the new one comes faster since you have already been confirmed as a citizen. They will return the old one to you in a separate mailing.
MP123

Post by MP123 »

You can use it right away. Some countries may not let you in if it's within a few months of expiration.

Incidentally, I just renewed my passport with expedited service. It was supposed to take 3 weeks or so but I had my new one back in the mail in less than a week. YMMV of course.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

JD2775 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:20 pm
I am specifically asking about renewal, and how quickly I can use it. Specifically going to a few countries in Europe. I tried to do a search but didn't see anything concrete. Does anyone know?
You can use it the day you receive it.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Topic Author
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

Awesome...thank you everyone!
randomizer

Post by randomizer »

I've never heard of a waiting period.
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

while i’ve not heard of any case of a waiting period... there might be an unusual case of those needing the new passport number for a visa, for those countries not granting an immediate visa upon entrance (you’d have to look at the state department site to find out which those are) { i’ve not ever been to those areas...afganistan, algeria, (even australia apparently needs a visa)..}
ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus »

I suggest getting the passport card at the same time. It’s proof of identity and citizenship. Useful when getting a job or flying domestic.
riverguy

Post by riverguy »

ccieemeritus wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:09 pm I suggest getting the passport card at the same time. It’s proof of identity and citizenship. Useful when getting a job or flying domestic.
What’s the point? Drivers license works fine for flying and how often are you getting a job?
kramer

Post by kramer »

riverguy wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:39 am
ccieemeritus wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:09 pm I suggest getting the passport card at the same time. It’s proof of identity and citizenship. Useful when getting a job or flying domestic.
What’s the point? Drivers license works fine for flying and how often are you getting a job?
The main use is that you can have the card on your person while abroad and keep your passport in your hotel safe. Useful also if your passport gets stolen abroad. Also, good for backup ID anywhere. Finally, some US driver's license may soon be invalid for use as federal government ID (flying, etc) due to strict Real ID requirements not met by some states. For 3 dollars per year it's a bargain.

I live abroad and I use mine for ID when in the US instead of my passport. I am not sure I will be able to renew my US driver's license.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

The passport card is only an extra $10 IIRC if you get it with the passport, I believe. H got one and I didn’t. Our state’s driver’s license should be sufficient as we meet the real ID requirements.

I have only heard of problems if your passport isn’t valid for at least 6 months past your stay out of country. O problems with using passport as soon as it’s received.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

riverguy wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:39 am What’s the point? Drivers license works fine for flying and how often are you getting a job?
Driver's licenses from many states will become invalid for flying at some point this year. My home state (IL) just narrowly got off this list late last year, and their new licenses look like cheap fake IDs. The passport card is guaranteed to work, and costs almost nothing ($3/year). I always get less scrutiny when flying with it, even at ORD. It can also be used for travel to/from Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean by car or boat. We'll be taking ours on our cruise later this year.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

JD2775 wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:20 pm I have heard conflicting reports on this...

If I renew my American Passport, can I use it immediately to go to Europe once I receive it? Or is there a waiting period?
No, once you get it, it's okay to use it immediately.
I think there is a buffer period for some countries on the opposite end. i.e. if I go to certain countries in May, my passport can't expire anywhere between 3-6 months after that.
That's true. Some countries will insist that you have six months time left on your passport upon returning to the US, or they won't let you in. Also, some require that you have between two and four blank pages left in your passport before they will let you enter. Check the State Department's Travelers' Checklist for more information.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Note that the passport card is not the same thing as the Passport Information Card that comes with a passport book. The Information Card in fact explicitly says that it is not proof of U.S. citizenship.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
jm1495

Post by jm1495 »

For what it's worth I just renewed my passport. I sent it in the first week of January and the new one arrived within two weeks. I was surprised as I didn't pay for the expedite. YMMV
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

FWIW; unless you have an urgent need don't believe all the folks who say it takes 6-8 weeks to get your renewal back. I don't recall what the cost of expediting it was nor was I interested but I renewed mine late last summer and it took exactly three weeks to the day of mailing it until I received my new one.
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

The passport card was designed for land and sea travel in North America. The primary user would be the occasional vacationer to Mexico or the Caribbean (by cruise) who did not want to go the the expense of getting a full passport book for the entire family. It also comes in handy for those of us who live near the Canadian or Mexican border and might decide to pop over on a whim since it fits in my wallet. It is valid for domestic ID when flying, but will not get you on an international flight. Cost is $40 over the application/processing/book fee. In Michigan it is slightly cheaper over it's 10 year life than getting an enhanced drivers license which serves the same basic purpose.

I actually got a speeding ticket with mine once. Didn't realize I had handed it over instead of my DL until the officer returned it to me. She didn't even ask for my DL.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

kramer wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:51 am
The main use is that you can have the card on your person while abroad and keep your passport in your hotel safe. Useful also if your passport gets stolen abroad.
I agree with this, I also got a passport card for the same reasons, it's good to have a backup ID when travelling.
birdy

Post by birdy »

On a related note: I had an appointment for my interview for Global Entry set for Tuesday. I got an e-mail this a.m. saying it is cancelled because the government is shut down. Right on the forms I filled out was that if my interview was cancelled, I may have to resubmit my application all over again. I decided that if the government is back up tomorrow, I am just going to show up there and try to walk in. We leave next Monday for Thailand so I need it! Any others having this issue?

birdy
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

*unless you are in certain states! :oops:
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

an_asker wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:26 pm
*unless you are in certain states! :oops:
Here's the official info:

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id

Those who have Global Entry ID card (it was optional to get the ID card when I signed up many years ago; not sure if they issue it to everyone now)
have a Real-ID identification document. Another alternative document that could be useful when traveling. But I would get the passport card, too. Cheap insurance.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

birdy wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:24 pm On a related note: I had an appointment for my interview for Global Entry set for Tuesday. I got an e-mail this a.m. saying it is cancelled because the government is shut down. Right on the forms I filled out was that if my interview was cancelled, I may have to resubmit my application all over again. I decided that if the government is back up tomorrow, I am just going to show up there and try to walk in. We leave next Monday for Thailand so I need it! Any others having this issue?

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail ... ter-%2A%2A
Due to a lapse in appropriations the CBP Information Center is closed until further notice.

Also, CBP Global Entry Enrollment Centers are closed. It will be necassary for you to reschedule your interview after U.S. government operations resume.
No resubmitting the application required, "just" rescheduling of the interview.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

mptfan wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:17 pm
kramer wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:51 am
The main use is that you can have the card on your person while abroad and keep your passport in your hotel safe. Useful also if your passport gets stolen abroad.
I agree with this, I also got a passport card for the same reasons, it's good to have a backup ID when travelling.
A passport card has only very limited uses outlined here:

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel ... /card.html

If your passport is lost or stolen abroad, your passport card won't work as a substitute for it in any situations in which you would need a passport that I can think of. Photocopies of your passport would be just as useful in getting a temporary passport, which is generally not as much trouble in itself as people imagine since the demographic information and photo on your passport is accessible by computer.

A passport can be used for everything that a passport card can be used for. A passport card is simply an extra expense with the only benefit being the convenience of not carrying an actual passport in the situations in which it is valid. Only if you were to use it very frequently, say if you cross the border with Canada or Mexico regularly or take many domestic flights and can't get a Real ID Drivers License or other state-issued ID, that small convenience might be worth it.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Pajamas wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:33 pm A passport card has only very limited uses outlined here:

If your passport is lost or stolen abroad, your passport card won't work as a substitute for it in any situations in which you would need a passport that I can think of. Photocopies of your passport would be just as useful in getting a temporary passport, which is generally not as much trouble in itself as people imagine since the demographic information and photo on your passport is accessible by computer.
You are thinking only in terms of the passport card being used as a substitute for a passport book, whereas a passport card has many uses well beyond simply being considered a substitute for a passport book...after all, it is a government issued ID card. It can be used for checking in for domestic flights, for going through security at any airport, for presenting ID when using a credit card, for writing a check, for purchasing train tickets (I think) and for various and sundry situations where having a government issued ID is useful or necessary.

So when I am travelling, especially abroad, I like to have a backup form of ID available just in case I lose my driver's license so that I will not have to carry around my passport everywhere I go. Just as a simple example, if you are travelling domestically by air, and you lose your driver's license while away from home, what would you do if you have no backup ID? How are you going to check in and go through security at the airport to get home?

Say what you will, but it is still an official form of ID issued by the United States Government that proves I am a U.S. citizen, and if given a choice between having it and not having it if my passport book is lost while I am abroad, I will choose to have it any day of the week.
Last edited by mptfan on Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.
stats99

Post by stats99 »

lazydavid wrote:
riverguy wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:39 am What’s the point? Drivers license works fine for flying and how often are you getting a job?
Driver's licenses from many states will become invalid for flying at some point this year. My home state (IL) just narrowly got off this list late last year, and their new licenses look like cheap fake IDs. The passport card is guaranteed to work, and costs almost nothing ($3/year). I always get less scrutiny when flying with it, even at ORD. It can also be used for travel to/from Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean by car or boat. We'll be taking ours on our cruise later this year.
I believe Real ID was extended to 2020
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

mptfan wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:42 pm
Pajamas wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:33 pm A passport card has only very limited uses outlined here:

You are thinking only in terms of the passport card being used as a substitute for a passport book, whereas a passport card has many uses well beyond simply being considered a substitute for a passport book...after all, it is a government issued ID card. It can be used for checking in for domestic flights, for going through security at any airport, for presenting ID when using a credit card, for writing a check, and for various and sundry situations where having a government issued ID is useful or necessary.
A Real ID drivers license is good for all of those things, no need for a passport card. And of course a passport can do all of those things as well, and more.
So when I am travelling, especially abroad, I like to have a backup form of ID available just in case I lose my driver's license so that I will not have to carry around my passport everywhere I go. Just as a simple example, if you are travelling domestically by air, and you lose your driver's license while away from home, what would you do if you have no backup ID? How are you going to check in and go through security at the airport to get home?
You don't have to have ID to fly if you lose your drivers license. The TSA simply identifies you based on information they have on you in their database. It will take a few more minutes to get through security, so allow extra time for that. I have never heard of someone NOT being able to fly in this situation under normal circumstances, although I would think that it has not worked out for someone at some time. See bottom of the page here:

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-scr ... tification

I have never lost my drivers license or passport but do carry a copy of both when traveling, just in case.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

TravelGeek wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:16 pm No resubmitting the application required, "just" rescheduling of the interview.
Good luck with your rescheduling effort. When we applied for Global Entry, I had interviews set up for March for both of us, but unfortunately DW came up with a sudden need for intestinal surgery, so we had to reschedule. The soonest open slot I could find at a location anywhere near us (which as it happened was about 425 miles away) was in June. They book these things way in advance.

OP: Let us know how it comes out walking in, I'm curious.
riverguy

Post by riverguy »

Anyone who thinks the Federal government is going to allow REAL ID to come into full effect with half the states on extensions is plain nuts.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Pajamas wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:59 pm A Real ID drivers license is good for all of those things, no need for a passport card. And of course a passport can do all of those things as well, and more.
Of course, but I think you are missing my point. I am saying that a passport card serves as an excellent backup form of ID in the event you lose your Real ID drivers license, and I like having a backup ID other than my passport when I travel.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:10 pm Good luck with your rescheduling effort.
Yeah, it isn’t like tere are a lot of empty appointment slots available in the near-term that they could fill with cancelled folks.

I am actually surprised they canceled the appointments as other DHS fee-funded services continued through the shutdown.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

stats99 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:49 pm I believe Real ID was extended to 2020
That is when no exceptions will be allowed, for any reason. They've already declined to renew some states' extensions that expire this year.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Ms G was able to return from Mexico with just a DL, when she gave Border Patrol a passport that was mine. Now she checks.