Most inexpensive shipping option from US to Taiwan?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
DoubleClick

Most inexpensive shipping option from US to Taiwan?

Post by DoubleClick » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:53 am

I need to ship a few small, lightweight packages from US to Taiwan. Think less than half a pound, and 6x3x3". I don't care how long it takes, but I do want this to including some basic tracking or delivery confirmation.

What is the most inexpensive shipping option? USPS First Class International shows up as under $14, but I from what I can tell, it does not include tracking or delivery confirmation. Anybody know if it indeed does include delivery confirmation?

Anyone know of options beside USPS for a similar or lower price?

Thanks!

Caduceus

Re: Most inexpensive shipping option from US to Taiwan?

Post by Caduceus » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:14 am

Haven't shipped to Taiwan, but in my experience, with small and light packages, you won't get a better price than USPS. With First Class International, though, you have to expect that your package times can be much delayed. It might take two weeks, sometimes three, occasionally even a month, etc. The package will almost always be delivered, but the time is very variable.

No, first class mail has no tracking, in my experience. If the item isn't expensive, there's no point paying for tracking, really.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:25 am

If the shipping size is 6x3x3, I doubt that the OP can ship it USPS first class. There will be surcharges for the sheer size alone.

Anyway, the USPS will very likely have the lowest package rate. In the old days, one could ship by boat for a relatively low price but a much longer shipping time. But I don't think that option is available for retail customers anymore.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:53 am

No experience shipping to Taiwan but back a couple of years ago when I was still selling stuff on Ebay for international it was very hard to beat USPS except in very unusual circumstances. Also some of the private shippers will charge a customs fee to the receiving party in some instances (this is a fee for their processing labor + whatever the government believes is due in import duties). This fee can be inconsistent but in Canada at least sometimes ran $25-50 which can be more than the item is worth (this is what the carrier charged not import duties). This was never an issue with PO.

One big exception to private carriers is if your employer will let you use their account (with you reimbursing them). A lot of megacorps have some pretty insane deals with the shippers. I know a guy who regularly shipped 200 pound items overseas via FexEx for about $125 which is pretty insane through his employer's account. They were fine with it because he paid them back.

Hyperborea

Post by Hyperborea » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:22 pm

DoubleClick wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:53 am
I need to ship a few small, lightweight packages from US to Taiwan. Think less than half a pound, and 6x3x3".=
HueyLD wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:25 am
If the shipping size is 6x3x3, I doubt that the OP can ship it USPS first class. There will be surcharges for the sheer size alone.
The original post shows the dimensions as inches. That should be shippable with USPS just fine with no surcharges. That will likely also be your cheapest option. There really is no seamail option anymore so it all goes by air.
"Plans are worthless, but planning is everything." - Dwight D. Eisenhower

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:57 pm

6x3x3 in inches ia a very thick package.

Did you mean centimeters?

DoubleClick

Post by DoubleClick » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:10 am

To follow up, as many of you said, USPS indeed turned out to be the best option. There was no tracking, however, all my packages reached just fine within a reasonable amount of time (1-3 weeks). Thanks again to everyone :).