What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
obgraham

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by obgraham »

plasma800 wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 1:02 am They still make movies? Shoot, I haven't watched a movie in years.. but I do play a lot of world of warcraft.. does this count?
Most of the movies now are just the same -- you aren't missing much!
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

DW and I went to a Marcus Theater Dreamlounger to see "ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD" It's a new release (December 25th) starring Christopher Plumber and Mark Wahlberg. Almost feel asleep several times. Not recommended.....we gave it a 5 out of 10 rating.

ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD follows the kidnapping of 16-year-old John Paul Getty III (Charlie Plummer) and the desperate attempt by his devoted mother Gail (Michelle Williams) to convince his billionaire grandfather (Christopher Plummer) to pay the ransom. When Getty Sr. refuses, Gail attempts to sway him as her son’s captors become increasingly volatile and brutal. With her son’s life in the balance, Gail and Getty’s advisor (Mark Wahlberg) become unlikely allies in the race against time that ultimately reveals the true and lasting value of love over money.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Saw "The Last Jedi", it was pretty good! Probably the best aside from the 3 originals.
CrossOverGuy

Post by CrossOverGuy »

"The Shape of Water" - wonderful film involving the relationship that forms between a mute cleaning woman and a creature that has been captured from the Amazon and is being held at the governmental institute where the woman works during the Cold War period around 1962 or so. It's a combination fantasy, sci-fi, Cold War thriller, "Beauty and the Beast" hommage and even a touch of Hollywood musicals. There's nudity, so it's for adults, but it's really visually beautiful, as it is directed by Guillermo del Toro ("Pan's Labyrinth"). The performances are terrific especially by the lead Sally Hawkins, and it's already won a lot of awards and has been nominated for some upcoming ones as well.

Didn't care for "Downsizing" which started off very well for its first 40 minutes or so and then veered into a very different, less interesting film for the rest of the film. Nor would I really recommend "Suburbicon", also with Matt Damon, which starts out as a idealized housing community which turns very deadly with the arrival of its first African-American family. Too bloody and violent.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

Took the kids to Jumanji, should have saved the $ and found the original with Robin Williams. The new one was okay at best.
Regards | Bob
SGM

Post by SGM »

Darkest Hour is a great movie and covers the public and personal life of Churchill from the time he becomes prime minister through Dunkirk. It was nice to see it a few months after seeing Dunkirk.
dwade1109

Post by dwade1109 »

Saw The Last Jedi, didn’t feel like it matched the hype and it dragged a little bit but the last 30 minutes made up for it in and had decent unexpected twists especially for a Star Wars movie.

Saw Gleason last night. What a way to ring in the New Year. For anyone who has not seen it please make the time. Gives a whole new appreciation for how quickly health can be taken from us and the value of love and dedication even in the worst of circumstances.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

The Saint on Netflix.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We have also been watching The Profit specials on CNBC (i.e. Puerto Rico, Pot, Cuba).
market timer

Post by market timer »

AlphaGo on Netflix

Documentary on the recent match between Google DeepMind's AlphaGo program and Go World Champion Lee Sedol, in which a computer program finally surpassed human ability in this complex game. It's a fascinating topic and well done film. I get the feeling like humans will increasingly spend their time analyzing the inscrutable decisions of ever more sophisticated algorithms, wondering whether there is a bug in the code or not, yielding more of their own decision-making authority to these programs.
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

Saw The Darkest Hour yesterday and enjoyed it, especially after having seen Dunkirk recently. Churchill was seemingly quite a character.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

We finished "Shooter" season 1 on Netflix and overall it was good.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ FYI - This thread is resurrected: Netflix, Your Current Favorite Show
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Did watch "The Last Jedi" and in my opinion this should be the last on the Star Wars series. Thanks for reading.
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Miss Sloane last night on either Amazon Prime or Netflix.

Enjoyed it. Jessica Chastain was very much a cold, calculating political operative that you seemed to root for.

Perhaps I enjoyed it so much was that it seemed to be very reflective of the current scene.

Ed
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

I'd like to recommend an HBO series Big Little Lies. I was skeptical of this series at first because it seemed like one of those "rich people problems" shows, which is sort of accurate, but it really drew me in and I binged watched all 7 episodes of season one this weekend. Top notch cast, pace, and writing.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Elsebet wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:31 pm I'd like to recommend an HBO series Big Little Lies. I was skeptical of this series at first because it seemed like one of those "rich people problems" shows, which is sort of accurate, but it really drew me in and I binged watched all 7 episodes of season one this weekend. Top notch cast, pace, and writing.
We gave this a try and we both *hated* it.
Didn't like the characters.
Didn't like the way the story line jumped around.
Really didn't like the characters.

But it seemed to be getting such great reviews, so we watched another episode.
Worse.

That's why there are a zillion flavors of toothpaste :happy

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
hmw

Post by hmw »

market timer wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:36 am AlphaGo on Netflix

Documentary on the recent match between Google DeepMind's AlphaGo program and Go World Champion Lee Sedol, in which a computer program finally surpassed human ability in this complex game. It's a fascinating topic and well done film. I get the feeling like humans will increasingly spend their time analyzing the inscrutable decisions of ever more sophisticated algorithms, wondering whether there is a bug in the code or not, yielding more of their own decision-making authority to these programs.
Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely watch this documentary. I have palyed Go since I was a kid, and I actually watched the AlphaGo play Lee live on Youtube a couple of years ago.
hmw

Post by hmw »

My wife and I watched the new "King Arthur" on HBO last night. I didn't like it and my wife thought it was Ok.
Green Street

Post by Green Street »

American Made with Tom Cruise, reminds me of the cult classic Blow. Done pretty well IMO.
Searching Through The FiRE
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

A Quiet Passion

An engaging portrait of poet Emily Dickinson. In mid-19th century
New England, Emily Dickinson, keenly aware of her homely appearance
and limited opportunities, is content living with her parents and writing
poetry to find solace. The movie does not focus so much on her poetry
as it does the environment and social conditions that shaped her. She
and her siblings delight in poking fun at the pseudo-piousness of
acquaintances and relatives. Recommended.
MJW

Post by MJW »

Finally saw "The Big Short" last night.
GuyInFL

Post by GuyInFL »

Got a Moviepass and saw Downsizing and Molly's Game.
Definitely recommend Molly's Game
MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland »

MJW wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:32 pm Finally saw "The Big Short" last night.
I didn’t expect this movie to be as good as it was. It was an impressive movie.
woof755

Post by woof755 »

Get Out

Currently on HBO NOW

Absolutely jaw dropping. I was speechless. One of the smartest movies I have ever seen. I can't wait for Jordan Peele's next venture.
(This is not a comedy, and it's not really horror. It's just awesome)
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth »

Many of the most recent movies I've watched aren't worth mentioning. I always try to find something that will give a few laughs, or at least a decent action movie. I rented The Hitman's Bodyguard thinking it fit in the latter category, but haven't laughed as much at even a pure comedy since I can't remember when. Technically I think the movie is considered to fall under both categories.
I am a bit of a gun toting (legally with concealed carry permit) barbarian though, so those of a lesser extent in that regard may not find as much humor in it as I did...
Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth »

Green Street wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:38 pm American Made with Tom Cruise, reminds me of the cult classic Blow. Done pretty well IMO.
Ah yeah, that one was pretty good. Something about the time period of the movie kind of depressed me, but that just comes down to personal experiences...
Ninnie

Post by Ninnie »

MrNewEngland wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:51 pm
MJW wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:32 pm Finally saw "The Big Short" last night.
I didn’t expect this movie to be as good as it was. It was an impressive movie.
+1
spencer99

Post by spencer99 »

Watched "A Bigger Splash" this weekend. Promising cast (Ralph Fiennes, Tilda Swinton) but ultimately a waste of time. Plot, character motivations, personal interactions were all a mess. I wasn't surprised when plot took an incoherent twist near end of film - director didn't know what to do with this disaster.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

GuyInFL wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:50 pm Got a Moviepass and saw Downsizing and Molly's Game.
Definitely recommend Molly's Game
My son’s GF says that Downsizing is the worst movie she has ever seen. The reviews on Rotten Tomatoes are apparently more interestingly written than the movie itself.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

My mother said Downsizing was terrible also. And that woman loves EVERY movie she's ever seen.

We're still teasing her about recommending Mr. Popper's Penguins....
Chin00k

Post by Chin00k »

CrossOverGuy wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:17 pm "The Shape of Water" - wonderful film involving the relationship that forms between a mute cleaning woman and a creature that has been captured from the Amazon and is being held at the governmental institute where the woman works during the Cold War period around 1962 or so. It's a combination fantasy, sci-fi, Cold War thriller, "Beauty and the Beast" hommage and even a touch of Hollywood musicals. There's nudity, so it's for adults, but it's really visually beautiful, as it is directed by Guillermo del Toro ("Pan's Labyrinth"). The performances are terrific especially by the lead Sally Hawkins, and it's already won a lot of awards and has been nominated for some upcoming ones as well.
I like your review. I saw "The Shape of Water" last night with my wife and two friends. We all agreed it was a wonderful film.
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

I tend to go months at a time without watching any movies, then watch several in a short period.

In chronological order:

Lady Bird: I wouldn't necessarily rave about it the way some critics have, but I enjoyed it a lot and recommend it, particularly for Saoirse Ronin and Laurie Metcalf.

Pitch Perfect 3: I concur with the consensus that it's noticeably inferior to the first two. I hadn't seen any of them until I caught Pitch Perfect and the first sequel on cable lately and quite enjoyed them. On the day I saw PP3, I had planned to see Star Wars, but something else ended too late and PP3 fit into my schedule. I'm not sorry to have seen it but wouldn't particularly recommend it.

Call Me By Your Name: quiet little movie, which I'd recommend for the scenery and the performances of Timothee Chalamet, Armie Hammer, and Michael Stuhlbarg.

Star Wars Episode VIII: I enjoyed it a lot. I sprung for 3D, which was kind of fun. I think the appreciation for this installment will increase over time, just as it has for The Empire Strikes Back.

The Greatest Showman: I'm not sorry I saw it, but I don't recommend it. The musical numbers are good but don't necessarily fit the show. Also, the movie could have found an interesting way of exploring the ambiguity of whether Barnum was humanizing his "oddities" or exploiting them, but I found it to just be a mishmash.

Molly's Game: if you've ever enjoyed anything by Aaron Sorkin, run, don't walk, to see this movie.
just frank

Post by just frank »

woof755 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:35 am Get Out

Currently on HBO NOW

Absolutely jaw dropping. I was speechless. One of the smartest movies I have ever seen. I can't wait for Jordan Peele's next venture.
Agreed. Most fun and gripping movie I have seen in a while.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

"The Post" a timely retelling of a moment in US politics that feels relevant today
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
PChang94303

Post by PChang94303 »

+1 for Post. Excellent acting from Meryl Streep, Tom Hanks. Lally Weymouth, Meg Greenfield and Robert McNamara characters also excellent. Silent nods to status of women (Meryl Streep exiting Supreme Court through a panoply of faces, all female) emphasized the film's sensibilities. Wonderful period shots (old cars, von Furstenberg wraps) and pictures of old Georgetown made this a wonderful period piece. Listening to Nixon on tape was a sharp poke in the ribs about current tendencies. Highly recommend.
woof755

Post by woof755 »

just frank wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:30 pm
woof755 wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:35 am Get Out

Currently on HBO NOW

Agreed. Most fun and gripping movie I have seen in a while.

Watched Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri tonight. Mesmerizing. Frances McDormand is my favorite actress. Woody Harrelson was great and Sam Rockwell was Oscar-worthy, IMHO.

Spoiler:

Very heavy film which turns hopeful without Hollywood ending
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Went to The Last Jedi over Christmas holiday with daughter and wife. My daughter enjoyed, I wasn't all that impressed. I think I'm getting tired of all these sci-fi movies that rely so much on special effects, but are weak overall when it comes to the story and acting. How many times are we going to see a Star Wars movie that ends with the rebels on yet another world just minutes away from being destroyed by Death Star dot two - three - four etc. I remember seeing Star Wars for the first time and being blown away from the opening credits til the very end. Now I find the newer editions contrived and boring.
DanMahowny

Post by DanMahowny »

I saw Get Out after hearing everyone praise it. I thought it was boring and predictable.

Now everyone says Molly's Game is great. I watched it. Thought it was decent. But definitely not in the same universe as Rounders.

Seems the bar for a "good movie" has been lowered substantially. I give up.
Funding secured
TxAg

Post by TxAg »

Hostiles

I really really liked this movie!
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

The two movies for this week:

Monkey Business: The Adventures of Curious George's Creators
Fanny's Journey
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

ResearchMed wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:54 pm
Elsebet wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:31 pm I'd like to recommend an HBO series Big Little Lies. I was skeptical of this series at first because it seemed like one of those "rich people problems" shows, which is sort of accurate, but it really drew me in and I binged watched all 7 episodes of season one this weekend. Top notch cast, pace, and writing.
We gave this a try and we both *hated* it.
Didn't like the characters.
Didn't like the way the story line jumped around.
Really didn't like the characters.

But it seemed to be getting such great reviews, so we watched another episode.
Worse.

That's why there are a zillion flavors of toothpaste :happy

RM
I thought it was very good. It won 4 Golden Globes. Some characters are annoying for sure, but realistic.
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

'All the Money in the World'. Richest man in the history of the world, J. Paul Getty, refuses to pay ransom demanded by his grandson's kidnappers. Great movie and it shows clearly money can't buy happiness!

TravelforFun
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Attack Of The 50ft. Woman. Found this old horror movie on an obscure cable station. Last seen it on Chiller Theater as a kid. Lessonfrom it...don"t get your wife angry.LOL.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Bringing Up Baby, with Cary Grant and Katherine Hepburn.

A classic comedy, the baby is a leopard.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
wilson08

Post by wilson08 »

bearcub wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:04 am Attack Of The 50ft. Woman. Found this old horror movie on an obscure cable station. Last seen it on Chiller Theater as a kid. Lessonfrom it...don"t get your wife angry.LOL.
Those Grade B 1950s movies have a certain charm to them. When I
saw the giant clothe/paper mache hand reaching to grab the errant
husband in Attack of the 50 ft Woman I knew for sure the producers
were on a shoestring budget.
Last edited by wilson08 on Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

jacques Tati's Playtime. Watchable? Yes. A masterpiece? Not to me.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Tonight's show:

Tommy's Honour
denismurf

Post by denismurf »

I just watched The Post at the neighborhood theater in Edmonds WA. I mention that because at the end,the audience applauded and cheered vocally. When's the last time you experienced that in a movie theater? Maybe that only happened in Edmonds WA. I completely agree with this sentiment.

Contrast with the latest Star Wars flick, where my son (age forty-something) fell asleep before the end. I at least stayed awake, if only to catch the special effects. In short, The Post was just magnificent in every respect, while Star Wars/Jedi was a waste of time and money for this grownup (i.e., me).

I've been trying to remember a movie appearing during the last 10 years that came even close to equalling The Post in any aspect. No luck.
NewPhoneWhoDis

Post by NewPhoneWhoDis »

Wife and I saw The Post last night. We both thought it was decent but nowhere near the level of either Three Billboards or Lady Bird.